GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cross posting from the Matthew Weaver thread
Deputies Launch Major Search in Malibu Canyon

“Deputies have said the burglary suspect has not been connected to the shooting, but they are considering it a possibility.
Here's What $615K Will Buy in SoCal's Housing Market
"We haven't linked it (to Beaudette's killing), but we certainly haven't ruled it out," Sgt. Matthew Dunn of the Malibu/Lost Hills sheriff's station said.
The suspect might be a transient living in the park, Dunn said.“

'Likely'? That goes a little too far for me, well beyond the bounds of the evidence.

LASD have - suddenly - wanted to put 'survivalist' in the mind of the public with regard to these shootings. We haven't yet seen anything in the evidence that bears that out.

The man who broke in to the office was carrying a rifle. Two of the three shootings in the park involved a shotgun. Is there a link? We don't know.

<modsnipped>

I guess it depends upon what they mean by survivalist. If they mean someone who is living in the woods, totally off the grid, surviving by the seat of their pants, and stealing from campers or breaking and entering---then I'd say yes, that is one kind of a survivalist. One that is the most basic, simplest, most poverty stricken kind?

<modsnipped response to removed content>There are videos of the transient, armed burglar. There are very recent reports of people being harassed by him in the woods. And today, a Tapia State Park employee called 911 to report an aggressive stranger with a backpack that intimidated him.

<modsnipped response to removed content> Or was it maybe pulled together because of recent incidents and recent sightings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive search through Malibu Canyon on Saturday looking for a possible burglary suspect.

Members of a SWAT team worked until nightfall, and helicopters spent hours combing through the hillside of Malibu Creek State Park looking for the possibly armed suspect. Helicopters and bloodhounds were at the scene as well as no one was taken into custody.

Authorities said a Tapia Park worker reported a suspicious man approached him at approximately 1 p.m., and the man matched the description of a burglary suspect.

Authorities said an unoccupied office on Mulholland Highway in Calabasas was burglarized on Sept. 30. The suspect was seen on surveillance video carrying a rifle.

Authorities say there is no evidence of a connection between the murder and the burglary, but are not ruling out a link.

People who normally spend time at the park and area residents are worried.

"It's been a little terrifying because we live right down the road," Smith said.

LA deputies search Malibu Canyon for burglary suspect

[video at link]

Massive search through Malibu Canyon on Saturday looking for a possible burglary suspect.

Members of a SWAT team worked until nightfall, and helicopters spent hours combing through the hillside of Malibu Creek State Park looking for the possibly armed suspect. Helicopters and bloodhounds were at the scene as well as no one was taken into custody.

Authorities said a Tapia Park worker reported a suspicious man approached him at approximately 1 p.m., and the man matched the description of a burglary suspect.

Authorities said an unoccupied office on Mulholland Highway in Calabasas was burglarized on Sept. 30. The suspect was seen on surveillance video carrying a rifle.

Authorities say there is no evidence of a connection between the murder and the burglary, but are not ruling out a link.

People who normally spend time at the park and area residents are worried.

"It's been a little terrifying because we live right down the road," Smith said.

LA deputies search Malibu Canyon for burglary suspect

[video at link]

This is the best lead in a loooong time. Crazy armed person living in the park and breaking into buildings?

The likelihood that it's connected is high to me. And not a set up by LE. That wouldn't make sense. Because they can either link this person to the shootings or they can't. And if he or she is not connected, shootings could continue after an arrest.

This is the best lead in a loooong time. Crazy armed person living in the park and breaking into buildings?

The likelihood that it's connected is high to me. And not a set up by LE. That wouldn't make sense. Because they can either link this person to the shootings or they can't. And if he or she is not connected, shootings could continue after an arrest.
LE must know what kind of weapon killed TB, my guess is the bullet was from a rifle.

Unfortunately, if this man did kill TB, and is hungry, and has nowhere to go, he may be desperate. I would consider this a very fraught situation for LE. On the other hand, he might ditch the rifle and get away, and never be found.

However, if the transient had mental health issues, he might not be rational enough to predict what would happen. His shooting at tents or cars is likely an impulsive, irrational action borne out of paranoia or PTSD type of afflictions. JMO

Katy, when the NOCO shooter was arrested (well, as I said, tied to one victim so far), I looked at his SM...omggggg, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a crazier, more delusional paranoid person in my life! His posts were crazzzzzy, like unintelligible, bunch of nonsensical words and curses...just totally nuts. Like the most nuts I’ve ever seen.
(I wonder if it’s still up, I’ll check)

LASD has posted a notice about the recent burglaries.

#LASD Major Crime Bureau Investigators Give Update on Recent Burglaries in the Unincorporated Calabasas/Malibu areas

The relevant break-ins are listed. Four are from the last three weeks; one was in July; one is from 2017; two are from 2016. No idea what the commonalities are because there were other break-ins in the area over the summer that are not on the list.

This is the most recent incident, which was today (9 Oct):

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at approximately 3:00 a.m. a burglary occurred at the “Agoura-Calabasas Community Center,” located at 27000 block of Malibu Hills Road, Calabasas. Detectives believe the same suspect, who is possibly involved in eight other burglaries, used a rock to break the front glass door. A vending machine inside the location was broken into with a rock, and numerous food items were stolen. The suspect then walked away in an unknown direction.

The community center is basically next door to the Lost Hills LASD station. According to Google Maps, it's 0.1 miles away. And the station is staffed all night.

Then there's a rather vague and bafflingly inclusive description of the suspect:

The suspect is described as a male adult, slender build, and wearing dark clothing.

If they have seen this person on CCTV, you'd think they could do better for a description of a suspect in a major metropolitan area.

#LASD Major Crime Bureau Investigators Give Update on Recent Burglaries in the Unincorporated Calabasas/Malibu areas

The relevant break-ins are listed. Four are from the last three weeks; one was in July; one is from 2017; two are from 2016. No idea what the commonalities are because there were other break-ins in the area over the summer that are not on the list.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at approximately 3:00 a.m. a burglary occurred at the “Agoura-Calabasas Community Center,” located at 27000 block of Malibu Hills Road, Calabasas. Detectives believe the same suspect, who is possibly involved in eight other burglaries, used a rock to break the front glass door. A vending machine inside the location was broken into with a rock, and numerous food items were stolen. The suspect then walked away in an unknown direction.

The community center is basically next door to the Lost Hills LASD station. According to Google Maps, it's 0.1 miles away. And the station is staffed all night.

Then there's a rather vague and bafflingly inclusive description of the suspect:

The suspect is described as a male adult, slender build, and wearing dark clothing.

If they have seen this person on CCTV, you'd think they could do better for a description of a suspect in a major metropolitan area.

Wow - it's almost as if he is taunting police.

Not to make light of this but I'm curious what specifically was taken from the vending machine -- all the Doritos, Snickers etc. leaving only those orange cheese crackers behind?

Good find! The community center was targeted the second time and the same goes for 26800 block of Mulholland Highway. It can't be so hard to track this guy down. He is going to the same places even!!! All along Los Virgenes also. If it is all connected as shown he is traveling around the park area quiet a bit. Maybe they should check with the self-storage facility. Can't hurt to check since it is so close to the community center. Here are the locations from the article:
October 9, 2018 at 27000 block of Malibu Hills Road, Calabasas
• October 4, 2018 at 700 block of Malibu Canyon Road, Unincorporated Malibu
• September 30, 2018 at 26800 block of Mulholland Hwy, Unincorporated area of Calabasas
• September 24, 2018 at 700 block of Malibu Canyon Rd, Unincorporated Calabasas
• July 27, 2018 Agoura Hills-Calabasas Community Center on Malibu Hills Road in Calabasas
• March 8, 2017 at 26800 block of Mulholland Highway, Unincorporated area of Calabasas
• October 28, 2016, a building was broken into a few miles north of Malibu Creek State Park, City of Calabasas
• October 10, 2016 at 26800 block of Dorothy Drive, Unincorporated area of Calabasas

Good find! The community center was targeted the second time and the same goes for 26800 block of Mulholland Highway. It can't be so hard to track this guy down. He is going to the same places even!!! All along Los Virgenes also. If it is all connected as shown he is traveling around the park area quiet a bit. Maybe they should check with the self-storage facility. Can't hurt to check since it is so close to the community center. Here are the locations from the article:

Is there a video clip or photo? If the police are going to sound the alarms, bring in the search teams and special weapons unit, then they might as well release images. They SHOULD have kept quiet and setup surveillance and a quick reaction team. But I'd be interested in a description....

The community center is just over 3 miles away from the park and just off the 101 Freeway.

As I mentioned previously, the building is next to the LASD Lost Hills Station. You'd think there'd be enough CCTV coverage in the area, especially after the Mitrice Richardson scandal.

From the list, it seems that the 26800 block of Mulholland has been hit twice in the past 18 months. That's up across from the King Gillette Ranch; I think it's a stretch of Mulholland where there are a few non-residential/office buildings. There are also some equestrian facilities (operated as businesses) on that part of Mulholland. The report doesn't say if it was the same building. The business owner was interviewed in the KCAL9 report and didn't mention it.

If you look on Crime Mapping or at sheriff's blotter reports on the Acorn, you see that break-ins do happen in those areas with a greater concentration up near the 101 or along Mulholland. It's not clear why this group of incidents is garnering greater attention. I know first-hand that it's not easy to get any traction with LASD on an ordinary crime like theft or B/E.

Detective: 'No evidence' armed burglary suspect seen near Malibu Creek State Park connected to shooting of Irvine father

Investigators Not Ready to Link String of Calabasas-Area Burglaries to Shootings Near Malibu Creek State Park

More in the second report on the office break-in:

Brian Boudreau, who owns Malibu Valley Farms, told KTLA he set up security cameras after noticing a series of small signs that suggested an intruder. According to him, the man only took his employees' food — but the surveillance footage shows he was armed, with a rifle slung over his shoulder.

Boudreau said he's turned the video over to sheriff's investigators.

Wow - it's almost as if he is taunting police.

Not to make light of this but I'm curious what specifically was taken from the vending machine -- all the Doritos, Snickers etc. leaving only those orange cheese crackers behind?

Search for Armed Burglary Suspect in Malibu Hills Continues

Or with the campground closed, is his main food supply gone? With the amount of money already spent trying to capture him, why haven’t they released a capture of him from the CCTV - maybe face is obscured? Or sat the Tapia State park employee down with Sheriff department artist for the sketch to be released to the public? At this point it is the vagueness paired with the EXTRA use of resources that is bothering me.

<modsnipped quoted post>

<modsnipped LE bashing> But given the terrain of these mountains and given that the suspect is a survivalist, why not call in a horseback posse (is that redundant? ☺️)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back