Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped from article>
The building, which they described as &#8220;a labyrinth of artist studios,&#8221; had been under investigation for several months. Officials said escape from the building, which had only two exits, might have been complicated because the first and second floors were linked by an ad hoc staircase made of wooden pallets.

On Sunday, the authorities said that three families of victims had been notified, but that other names would be released &#8220;in the coming hours.&#8221; On Saturday afternoon, a list of those missing, compiled by friends and family, had grown to about 35 people.

Firefighters arrived just before midnight Friday, and the fire was still smoldering more than 12 hours later.

One survivor, Aja Archuleta, 29, a musician, was scheduled to perform at the electronic music party with her synthesizers and drum machines around 1 a.m. and was working at the door when the fire broke out around 11 or 11:15 p.m.

&#8220;There were two people on the first level who had spotted a small fire that was growing quickly,&#8221; she said. &#8220;It was a very quick and chaotic build, from a little bit of chaos to a lot of chaos.&#8221;

__________________________________________________ ________________

"Due to the Chimney affect caused by the open stairwell built with wooden pallets. It would have been virtually impossible to escape the Ghost Ship fire trap from the second floor using this route, imo'..

Example of how rapid a fire can spread; Live burn shows just how quickly #Christmas tree fires can turn devastating and deadly.
National Fire Protection Association -

[video=youtube;xr6b9b8FYKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk[/video]

On Christmas Eve, few years ago, we woke up to very loud sirens and fire alarms. Our next door neighbor's tree went up in flames at 3 am. They had left the lights on all night. The tree was at the bottom of their stairs. So they could not get down to the first floor and they had to jump out of the 2nd story with their grandkids. But they had a detached garage and were able to jump onto the roof. [ they threw pillows down first then jumped onto them][grandpa had broken ankle, thats it]

I could not believe how fast the 2nd story went up in flames. The trucks were there last but it was a very hot fire. I don't even like to turn on the tree lights anymore. :eek:

also, lesson learned from that. DO NOT put a tree alongside the bottom of a stairwell. Firemen said it was like a perfect fire storm for the smoke and heat to go up the tunnel created by the stairwell.

Sending massive waves of love over the Pacific Ocean from Maui to Gitana, her family, and all the loved ones affected by this terrible tragedy.

This one is hitting me pretty hard. I keep shedding tears as I read the news. I keep getting so angry I could scream. So many young lives lost in such a horrible way. I feel sick.

Guy went into the bathroom and there were lights and no fire and when he came out, there was fire and pitch black. Wonder if it was an electrical fire since the lights went out so quickly

Could be, I watched the DJ video Cariis posted earlier with what I consider horrible music (electronic) and there were many wires and such. Hubby thought the Christmas lights looked sketchy.

Sending massive waves of love over the Pacific Ocean from Maui to Gitana, her family, and all the loved ones affected by this terrible tragedy.

This one is hitting me pretty hard. I keep shedding tears as I read the news. I keep getting so angry I could scream. So many young lives lost in such a horrible way. I feel sick.

^^This

This whole situation is heartbreaking. I watched some of the coverage with my dad - he's a firefighter - and he was cringing the entire time. Those poor people were caught in a death trap. He can't believe anyone would have constructed a staircase like that...those people literally had no chance once the flames hit.

Prayers for all involved and especially for Gitana and her brother. This is devastating.

CNN and FOX NEWS are saying they will carry press conference. Scheduled for 5 minutes from now.

I assume ktvu will carry also.

http://www.ktvu.com/live

KTVU Channel2 is the local Fox affiliate station for the Bay Area and they have had the most coverage of any local station. Right now it's a science program on.

Having een on the zoning board for years, I can't say I saw it all, but I became impressed over the years how people would make up stories when applying for special permits. Others would get angry and try to cheat on conditions that were enumerated on their special permit.

There are those who think rules do not apply to them. And then they would lie to neighbors and whomever would listen to them as to why they were denied a permit. The public often believes the lies.

I hope that these kinds of horrors can serve as examples of how rules are not not mean and arbritary when it comes to safety.

Ugh how can the fire marshall not shut this place down? No sprinklers?

We run a warehouse and the fire marshall is constantly on top of us. Emergency exits must always be cleared, aisels must always be cleared, sprinklers, fire alarm and water pressure are constantly tested and checked.

Having een on the zoning board for years, I can't say I saw it all, but I became impressed over the years how people would make up stories when applying for special permits. Others would get angry and try to cheat on conditions that were enumerated on their special permit.

There are those who think rules do not apply to them. And then they would lie to neighbors and whomever would listen to them as to why they were denied a permit. The public often believes the lies.

I hope that these kinds of horrors can serve as examples of how rules are not not mean and arbritary when it comes to safety.

I thought all commercial property being rented out had to be in compliance with fire and osha safety codes?

Especially when the commercial properties are warehouses that are not vacant?

BBM
It would have definitely drawn me, especially in my younger years. I've been to my fare share of less than safe situations.

I went to a lot of events like these in Portland, Oregon when I was young. The fire marshal used to come in and shut us down all the time. We were always angry with them, and granted probably some of the time they went a little overboard, but seeing this I'm so happy they did. You can never be too careful when it comes to fire safety.

I watched my neighbors house go into flames one time because a person put a cigarette out in a dry flower pot in the backyard. Next to that pot was a mattress and a propane tank. My house was probably about 3 minutes away from starting to burn when the fire department showed up and was already full of smoke.

Fire is scary and dangerous and in that environment where people probably have all sorts of chemicals for making art, the electrical wires everywhere, boxes, antique furniture, mattresses, propane tanks, and pallets. That was a recipe for disaster, which that Derick guy had repeatedly laughed off warnings about.

Before I saw the news on this, I saw a 20/20 about a woman in 2001 that was mauled by dogs in her SF apartment. The people who owned the dogs ended up convicted of 2nd degree murder because they knew the animals were dangerous. I wonder what the charges will be for this guy. I want to see him pay. He laughed off the warnings about fire safety and people died in horrific ways. He is a careless selfish murderer IMO.

Had to step away. Time to see what is going on. Have I done the press conference - no.

Do I want to know yes no. Is Gianna 1 profoundly on my mind yes

It is much like Pulse, but nowhere near as hard. It was too close, and that made it a different thread.

First thread I was on where there was personal involemtent was Joey Labute,

It changed it all. Then Voice singer here, and then pulse. And then the Manhatten with Larency (spelling we know ) it does change it .

I am going to, Giana1 find out , but maybe I shall stall a bit longer.

Before I do so, I cannot imagine what this has been for you.

Clinically there is something postivily for prep time. Plane crash.

But in this instance the duration has passed helpful prep time - and turned into nothing but torture.

A wanting to know already, let me have relief, or walk towards what it is

There is nothing any of us can do . but send you our love

Nah, I am not new conferancing nor reading posts quite yet

do I know I will this evening yes I do

not yet

my heart is with you

nothing else I or any of us can do

going away only for a short time cause they said 24 were found so

Has anyone read that the fire began in a pile of rubbish piled up behind the building? I read one eyewitness account during the wee hours of this morning and can no longer locate it. Also that Derick Ion had spent the day with the authorities.

Ugh how can the fire marshall not shut this place down? No sprinklers?

We run a warehouse and the fire marshall is constantly on top of us. Emergency exits must always be cleared, aisels must always be cleared, sprinklers, fire alarm and water pressure are constantly tested and checked.

Yeah, I'm really surprised it wasn't on their radar. I gather the structure is really old, like built in the 1930's or 40's?

I went to a lot of events like these in Portland, Oregon when I was young. The fire marshal used to come in and shut us down all the time. We were always angry with them, and granted probably some of the time they went a little overboard, but seeing this I'm so happy they did. You can never be too careful when it comes to fire safety.

I watched my neighbors house go into flames one time because a person put a cigarette out in a dry flower pot in the backyard. Next to that pot was a mattress and a propane tank. My house was probably about 3 minutes away from starting to burn when the fire department showed up and was already full of smoke.

Fire is scary and dangerous and in that environment where people probably have all sorts of chemicals for making art, the electrical wires everywhere, boxes, antique furniture, mattresses, propane tanks, and pallets. That was a recipe for disaster, which that Derick guy had repeatedly laughed off warnings about.

Before I saw the news on this, I saw a 20/20 about a woman in 2001 that was mauled by dogs in her SF apartment. The people who owned the dogs ended up convicted of 2nd degree murder because they knew the animals were dangerous. I wonder what the charges will be for this guy. I want to see him pay. He laughed off the warnings about fire safety and people died in horrific ways. He is a careless selfish murderer IMO.

Absolutely agree. I also want the building owner prosecuted. She played ostrich with her head in the sand and never once checked on her property. I think the attention this case has garnered will not go away. Gov. Jerry Brown was the Mayor of Oakland before he was re-elected gov. and he's aware of the situation and this mayor Libby Schaaf seems really competent. Her predecessor Jean Quan wasn't, she was terrible!

I feel that the cause will be electrical. In having a club for many years, the music and lights must have it's own electrical panel. The key word of this tragedy is electronic music. When cranking up the volume it demands lots of watts. And definitely not on cords or power strips. I do not remember which report but it mentioned he lights went out right away.

JMO

CNN asking for loved ones DNA (toothbrush, brush etc) to ID the ones that cannot be ID immediately...........oh how sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member