CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are lovely parts of Oakland but international isn't one of them. also in previous years, ppl who got priced out of the city (SF) moved to Oakland but they in turn have driven up costs for town ppl (Oakland is called the town) and they have had to move to pittsburg or Antioch and so it goes... its the reason ppl from Oregon and Idaho hate us. we leave and drive up their costs.

I stated something similar a few pages back. Unless you live here it is very difficult to understand the housing crisis. Even for families who are in the upper middle class it can become cost prohibitive. The artists moved to the East Bay (from SF), discovered it was also very expensive and had to deal with Costa Hawkins price increases and are now moving to Vallejo. It is ridiculous to expect your firefighters, teachers, plumbers, servers, engineers, to have to commute 2 hours to work every day. But that is how it is for many Bay Area cities. Even to buy, you will deal with 25 competing offers and it takes an average of 12 bids before you actually succeed in getting a house/condo. The tech boom has brought so much wealth to many businesses and great stock options to many employees, but it has ruined the community feel of San Francisco. Not all of the people who are struggling here are unemployed or underemployed, many of us pay in rent or mortgage in one year more than the average income in the US. And for many of us this is where the jobs are (or as stated above, we can move to WA and raise prices there). Greed is at the center of it all, mostly on the part of the local government (look into Costa Hawkins) and property owners. Read CValdez's posts, she knows of what she speaks. In the last 5 years the prices of homes in Berkeley alone have doubled, but income has not. We need a local government that is more representative of the people who keep these Bay Area cities vibrant.

It was only zoned for a warehouse, not residential, and certainly not for a rave club!! He was illegally subletting. He was NOT Ng's "property manager" as he's billed himself in the news. He was all about making as much money for himself as he could. Cash only- and he didn't use his name on the rental agreement. Rent money plus cover charges and charging bands for the use of the space. Putting on the shows was all up to them.
BBM.
Well this certainly changes things. I thought the folks living there, were throwing parties, and getting bands to play... There are some truly predatory, sucky, people out there.

The cities have it built into their water bill. Rural areas, most times, no. I can't say it's disgusting b/c there's just no real monies for it at the local level here. The rural areas here have difficulty w/transportation just getting to a doctor many times. Especially for the elderly and very sick and/or poor.

I don't like garbage on the sides of the road, nor littering, either, but, just what little I've learned about the Oakland area, from reading about it, after this horrible tragedy, is that, like our region, it's got a lot of stuff going on besides garbage on the side of the street. There's a lot of juggling going on when your trying to weigh assistance to those in poverty, rising fentanyl deaths, and/or funds for a decent animal shelter, against some mattresses on the side of the road. There's usually folks who do clean up crews in the county a couple of times each year to get the mattresses and recliners or the county will come get them if someone calls.

When you go to an area and it is filled woth trash , there is a feeling of hopelessness. When you go to a poor area and it is clean with buildings that have some murals, some outdoor spaces it is a whole different feeling. A feeling that people matter and that there is hope.

I personally knew four people back in MN who died from opiates. All white. Three from middle and upper class . The other one from more poor families. There were reasons for their drug use . Different hard family situations but not because of lack of caring by the families.

Anyway, to me garbage indicates what we think of people who live in communities that lack basic human services.

More on the staircase.

And the stairwell was makeshift, too. Shah took a photo of the staircase, decorated with pink lights, two years ago. [photo attached].

"It was a terribly designed staircase," he said. "It was hard to navigate, day or night. It was not constructed well. You could easily miss a step or two and hurt yourself."

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?323480-CA-Massive-fire-at-Oakland-warehouse-party-36-confirmed-dead-2-Dec-2016-2&p=12987038&posted=1#post12987038

----
Access to the second floor, where there was a room for concerts and a home for the couple and their children, was a rickety, homemade staircase, she said.

"Calling it a staircase gives you the idea that it was a set of stairs. It was not," Boudreaux said. "It was random pieces of wood put together to create something that you could get up to the top floor on. But it was not what most people would consider a staircase. It was like a jimmy-rigged makeshift staircase. As soon as you stepped on it, it wobbled all over the place."

Source: Operator of Ill-Fated Warehouse Conversion Has Criminal History: Records | NBC Bay Area http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ed-Felon-Records-404711665.html#ixzz4SBzyhI8O
F

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 94
I agree!

where we live only the homeowner can have the trash hauling in their name so they tack it on rent. and we had a few old mattresses in my backyard waiting for a time we had some extra cash (read: never) to take it to the dump because the trash hauler just takes what is in the can weekly. luckily we got a mailer for a large item even provided by the community,. we were able to get rid of a bunch of crap. ppl living under the radar so to speak don't get mail and I am willing to bet the ppl who chuck their large items were moving or evicted and just had to get rid of it.

there are lovely parts of Oakland but international isn't one of them. also in previous years, ppl who got priced out of the city (SF) moved to Oakland but they in turn have driven up costs for town ppl (Oakland is called the town) and they have had to move to pittsburg or Antioch and so it goes... its the reason ppl from Oregon and Idaho hate us. we leave and drive up their costs.
Yep...you sure did drive up the costs in Portland, Ore. I finally left in October 2015. Rents skyrocketed. The influx of individuals who could no longer afford Seattle or the Bay Area found their way to crunchy portland. I left when the lease renewal for my one bedroom near PDX went from $970 to $1300.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Everybody wants to live in certain areas, apparently. There are other places to live and I hope some entrepreneurs figure it out and go there to create jobs.

More on the staircase.

And the stairwell was makeshift, too. Shah took a photo of the staircase, decorated with pink lights, two years ago. [photo attached].

"It was a terribly designed staircase," he said. "It was hard to navigate, day or night. It was not constructed well. You could easily miss a step or two and hurt yourself."

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?323480-CA-Massive-fire-at-Oakland-warehouse-party-36-confirmed-dead-2-Dec-2016-2&p=12987038&posted=1#post12987038

----
Access to the second floor, where there was a room for concerts and a home for the couple and their children, was a rickety, homemade staircase, she said.

"Calling it a staircase gives you the idea that it was a set of stairs. It was not," Boudreaux said. "It was random pieces of wood put together to create something that you could get up to the top floor on. But it was not what most people would consider a staircase. It was like a jimmy-rigged makeshift staircase. As soon as you stepped on it, it wobbled all over the place."

Source: Operator of Ill-Fated Warehouse Conversion Has Criminal History: Records | NBC Bay Area http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ed-Felon-Records-404711665.html#ixzz4SBzyhI8O
F

OMG! Now that I get a good look at it, it looks like something you'd see in a carnival funhouse or a kids playplace. Not a functional staircase, and especially not for multiple people to escape in an emergency!!! For this alone, Derick should be charged with murder.

Our beautiful Jennifer has been identified. She died without suffering. She was unconscious in 15 minutes and was not touched by the fire. She died of smoke inhalation.
attachment.php

Thank you all for your incredible support. And love. And assistance. And a special thanks to Tricia and Linask who kept my confidences and communicated for me. A special thanks to Linask who drove over two hours round trip to pick me up and taken me to the Family Assistance Center and who saw things there that were incredibly difficult for her to see and who used such discretion in protecting the privacy of the families and officials she saw and spoke to and whose intense pain she witnessed. I know it shook her. But she was there for me.
You are all my cyber family.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 665
Our beautiful Jennifer has been identified. She died without suffering. She was unconscious in 15 minutes and was not touched by the fire. She died of smoke inhalation.
attachment.php

Thank you all for your incredible support. And love. And assistance. And a special thanks to Tricia and Linask who kept my confidences and communicated for me. A special thanks to Linask who drove over two hours round trip to pick me up and taken me to the Family Assistance Center and who saw things there that were incredibly difficult for her to see and who used such discretion in protecting the privacy of the families and officials she saw and spoke to and whose intense pain she witnessed. I know it shook her. But she was there for me.
You are all my cyber family.

Gitana, our hearts are yours. We know yours is gone for a bit. Please use them. We are ALL standing with you in support.

More on the staircase.

----

F

How in the world did they get all the junk up those steps?!?! Music equipment, art, were people living up there in individual spaces? I can't imagine it was easy to carry even a backpack up, never mind heavy electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just now viewed the new Daily Mail article with the Shelley Mack interview, video and photos. Absolutely disgusting to say the least. Shows a whole different view of this $###hole than what oaklandghostship.com portrays. I believe that Shelley Mack is very brave coming forward with this.

you are on my wavelength.. it SUUUCKS. my house is in a nice hood but they have never upgraded it EVER. the drawers in the kitchen are falling apart. and im quite sure there are silverfish. but what do I know im a lowly renter.

cvaldez- I KNOW what you're going through. We pay $4k/month for a 2 bedroom house in SF. The house is gorgeous, but is severely neglected and has inadequate heat (plaster walls, no insulation, furnace red tagged by PGE). We try to not rock the boat with minor repairs as we fear the rent increase. We need the yard for our dogs. As you know, we're absolutely FREEZING this week...the Bay Area is a scary place to live right now..:(

Gitana, I am so, so sorry for this horrible loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences. I just don't know what else to even say. You, your family and Jennifer's family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace, Jennifer. :rose:

it was a dump and she didn't want to be bothered w it is my guess. if it was in good condition she would get a hell of a lot more than that for a warehouse even if fruitvale isn't very good area.

It's been reported the warehouse was 10,000 sq feet and the rent was $5000
Per month.
50 cents per square foot???!!!
Even if the actual foot print of the building was 5000 sq feet it would only be a buck per square foot?
Is that typical pricing for a similar space in Fruitvale?
Was the owner just happy to rent the building at all?

Gitana - there are, of course, no words that can measure the pain nor the joy that your beautiful SIL brought and will continue to bring to those who know and love her. Be good to yourself. Hug your family. Keep us close. We hold you in our arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper