CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been a WS member for a month or so but I've read many of Gitana's posts and feel like I know her at this point. I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to Gitana and her family in this tragic time.

I'm not letting the owner off the hook. She had a duty to inspect her property. Just one visit inside would have shown her it was not being used as it was rented for and that it was clear people were living there/throwing parties. She's a known slum-lord. Both her and Derick are responsible for this horrible tragedy. Hope the warehouse is demolished.
We managed an apartment complex. The property owner's rule was that it all fell on his shoulders. Ultimately it was his responsibility to keep the people and his property safe....not just us as managers. She dropped the ball and needs to be held accountable as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Does anyone see an immediate solution? Cities cannot turn their backs and pretend the dangers do not exist, They cannot afford the lawsuits. And the first responders see enough trauma. So what can be done?

I don't know if there is any solution that is immediate. Here is what I would do and encourage others to do if I could:

1. Promote a culture of obeying the law and no tolerance for corruption. Corruption should not be business as usual and ignoring laws should not be business as usual.

2. Make mental health treatment and education more available to those who need it, so people have the tools they need to stand up against abuse, either to themselves or to others. The warehouse tenants were abused. Crime victims are abuse victims.

3. Refuse to tolerate crappy conditions in your community - crime, pollution, trash, drugs, whatever.

4. Support efforts to keep jobs in your community so there is more opportunity to go around.

5. Get more involved in your government and keep elected officials accountable with your votes. Try to monitor how they are spending your tax money - did they spend it on what it's supposed to be for or for something else?

6. Donate used goods to thrift stores that help causes you support rather than throw away. For example my uncle has mental illness and Goodwill has helped him stay employed, so I donate many used things to them. My brother has been helped by the Jewish Family and Children's Services. I've been helped by the Artists First studio and also by Women's Resource Center. I also called some hotlines when I was in a crisis, I don't remember exactly which ones they were now but someone had to pay the people I talked to or they volunteered, I'm grateful for whoever that was! I've donated in the past to the St. Vincent De Paul society.

7. Support news outlets that do real investigative journalism (if you can find any).

8. Report bad conditions. Alert the media if nothing is done.

9. Do your shopping at small local businesses, maybe even make an effort to support small local businesses who sell goods made by local artists and craftspeople.

What suggestions do others have?

Raves and illegal concerts, underground venues, communal living is going to continue no matter what. The participants know they are going to these places that are 'illegal', and that they most times are not in the best shape or best neighborhoods. It is a choice. go or not go. It happens in every large city and many small ones, especially the artsy areas. They change addresses quickly and only post on certain pages so that they WON"T be found out by Law enforcement. Its tragic what happened, but especially the artists who lived there knew what they were doing. Many of them LOVE that lifestyle and choose it over conventional living. They will move on to another similar situation, given the choice. Its similar to the 'old' barn dances we had in small towns growing up. After football game parties, prom, whatever, someone just opened up their barn, Hay and all, and a big party took place. If that caught fire, it would have spread in seconds. This has gone on and will go on forever. I have a friend who was at this particular venue, lives in Oakland, and is part of the fire burning, juggling, artsy, spinning crowd. Luckily he wasn't there that night, but at ANOTHER venue, doing the exact same thing. This blaming the city for it just doesn't sit well with me. Sorry, MOO

The cities cannot afford the lawuits so these places will be shut down.

Not sure if everyone realizes the risks.

There were not that many people in Oakland. Is there no other place for activities such as this?

Raves and illegal concerts, underground venues, communal living is going to continue no matter what. The participants know they are going to these places that are 'illegal', and that they most times are not in the best shape or best neighborhoods. It is a choice. go or not go. It happens in every large city and many small ones, especially the artsy areas. They change addresses quickly and only post on certain pages so that they WON"T be found out by Law enforcement. Its tragic what happened, but especially the artists who lived there knew what they were doing. Many of them LOVE that lifestyle and choose it over conventional living. They will move on to another similar situation, given the choice. Its similar to the 'old' barn dances we had in small towns growing up. After football game parties, prom, whatever, someone just opened up their barn, Hay and all, and a big party took place. If that caught fire, it would have spread in seconds. This has gone on and will go on forever. I have a friend who was at this particular venue, lives in Oakland, and is part of the fire burning, juggling, artsy, spinning crowd. Luckily he wasn't there that night, but at ANOTHER venue, doing the exact same thing. This blaming the city for it just doesn't sit well with me. Sorry, MOO

I agree - I remember going to many venues that were probably death traps when I lived in Michigan, so it's not like this is specific to one or two cities. I do believe that Oakland is going to be hit with a huge lawsuit and I'm a bit torn over it. On the one hand city records are messed up and if it's true that no one has inspected the GS for 30 years then I blame the city for not keeping up.

OTOH, the owner IMO is on the first line of fault simply because that's how the law works. It's up to the owner to make sure there are fire suppression methods in place. No excuses. The owner could have been unaware of what her tenant was using the space for but that doesn't excuse the lack of alarms, sprinklers, cleared fire exits, etc. That's squarely on the owner's shoulders.

Derick I is also to blame for obvious reasons. According to witnesses he was aware of the dangers and didn't act to resolve them.

In the meantime, the New York Times reports that other cities are cracking down on similar artist warehouses:

“I knew there would be this wave, but it happened a lot faster than I thought,” said Forest Juziuk, a Detroit-based booker for electronic musicians like those who played at the warehouse where the fire occurred. “By Tuesday night I started seeing text messages from around the U.S. about fire marshals coming through and eviction notices being served.”

In the days since the fire, there have been reports of event spaces being scrutinized or shut down in cities like Nashville, Philadelphia, Dallas, Austin, Indianapolis, New Haven and Dubuque. The question now is whether the tragic fire in Oakland will become a national turning point that forces these spaces out of business, or if it will push them deeper into the shadows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/us/oakland-fire-illegal-warehouses.html

Here's what happened in Baltimore:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-bell-foundry-20161205-story.html

Something I noticed in these and other articles is that many city officials are talking about making spaces safer but not necessarily to the point of outpricing tenants. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems that in at least some cases the discussion is more about making changes to insure residents' safety instead of just shutting the space down.

A web site has been created in the hopes of helping artists find ways to improve their space:

http://saferspac.es/

I do think everyone's goal is to make warehouse live/work communities viable for artists. The cities shutting down spaces are reacting to the possibility of being sued IMO, so if enough groups can get involved to help the artists out without making their living space cost prohibitive then maybe they can focus more on the positive rather than CYA. It would be a win/win situation IMO.

Sorry for rambling :blushing: I'm trying to squeeze in a lot of info and opinion in one post. The upshot of my point is that I believe there will be a temporary panic where cities will condemn buildings in order to be liability free but that once things calm down people will get on the ball and start coming up with fixes for the problems that don't involve leaving artists without a place to live.

Oh, and a P.S.: What a stupid time of year - Winter- to start throwing people out on the street...

BBM

:goodpost:

FWIW I agree with your entire post. I honestly do not think there is anything the city could have done in the way of inspections or other action to prevent this or a similar disaster in another warehouse...for exactly the reasons you lay out so well. Had they tried, there would have been protests and lawsuits to block their action as interfering with the residents' freedom, making them homeless, etc. It's an extremely complex problem, as this thread has been discussing...affordable housing, greed, support of art, homelessness, etc. These problems won't be solved by cracking down on warehouses. That's a knee jerk reaction. The only thing a crackdown will do is absolve the city of perceived blame...but create more problems. I don't see a practical solution, honestly, that creates safe spaces for living and for venues unless individuals act responsibly. Some prefer to live like this, just as some homeless reject efforts to house them in decent places (google Eureka CA). People will be people and do what they want to do.

Not absolving the owner and city completely, but the bottom line is that DIA and MA are primarily to blame for this inferno. Ultimately it really comes down to two individuals breaking the law and caring more about themselves than even their own children.
JMO, MOO, etc

I agree - I remember going to many venues that were probably death traps when I lived in Michigan, so it's not like this is specific to one or two cities. I do believe that Oakland is going to be hit with a huge lawsuit and I'm a bit torn over it. On the one hand city records are messed up and if it's true that no one has inspected the GS for 30 years then I blame the city for not keeping up.

OTOH, the owner IMO is on the first line of fault simply because that's how the law works. It's up to the owner to make sure there are fire suppression methods in place. No excuses. The owner could have been unaware of what her tenant was using the space for but that doesn't excuse the lack of alarms, sprinklers, cleared fire exits, etc. That's squarely on the owner's shoulders.

Derick I is also to blame for obvious reasons. According to witnesses he was aware of the dangers and didn't act to resolve them.

In the meantime, the New York Times reports that other cities are cracking down on similar artist warehouses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/us/oakland-fire-illegal-warehouses.html

Here's what happened in Baltimore:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-bell-foundry-20161205-story.html

Something I noticed in these and other articles is that many city officials are talking about making spaces safer but not necessarily to the point of outpricing tenants. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems that in at least some cases the discussion is more about making changes to insure residents' safety instead of just shutting the space down.

A web site has been created in the hopes of helping artists find ways to improve their space:

http://saferspac.es/

I do think everyone's goal is to make warehouse live/work communities viable for artists. The cities shutting down spaces are reacting to the possibility of being sued IMO, so if enough groups can get involved to help the artists out without making their living space cost prohibitive then maybe they can focus more on the positive rather than CYA. It would be a win/win situation IMO.

Sorry for rambling :blushing: I'm trying to squeeze in a lot of info and opinion in one post. The upshot of my point is that I believe there will be a temporary panic where cities will condemn buildings in order to be liability free but that once things calm down people will get on the ball and start coming up with fixes for the problems that don't involve leaving artists without a place to live.

Oh, and a P.S.: What a stupid time of year - Winter- to start throwing people out on the street...

I am not totally sure, but me sense is that none of that has to be done by an owner as long as it is only being used as storage.

There are a ton of buildings built whatever dates that preceded code changes that are exempt even if humans are gonna occupy.f

Also now that we know that the building had never been really looked at or monitored, in conjunction with the fact that the owner did respond to the first violation and mitigated it- I think that goes a long way.

As far as Friday night went (T-Giving weekend the notice went out) the owner , had, in know way indicated intent not to mitigate - they only knew about the violation a few days before the tragedy.

Any and all of this is interesting but irrelevant in real America.

Whoever has the deepest pockets , in terms of civil, is who everyone is going after.

In terms of Ion, IMO he is in another whole league of liability . Anyone knows that propane heated showers are probably not in the best interest of fire prevention!!

No one gave me a keychain with a little flashlight when I moved in! Clearly, indicates an awareness that lighting might be optional at times!!

None of us have a fire extinguisher every 8 x 10 area of our home ! (that may change ha1). Obviously, indicates that most were aware they was a valid fire concern within the community.

Being told to always say it is only a workspace indicates he clearly knew he was violating the law (that in and of itself seems like it would be enough) moo

I suppose he may have (doubtful in such an international story) retained attorneys, but I would think the media would have found out, or the media would be referred to that person by now.

This notion, IMO, is the most stunning out of the whole tragedy, in terms of psychopathology. If he truly has not retained an attorney, he must (core belief) authentically (Today show) believe he bears no responsibility.

IMO this is intense cognitive dissonance, how on earth could a person who is telling tenants to "lie" but still not KNOW that he needs an attorney is a really pathological thinking process IMO.

I still think both of them are super high flight risk. If his core belief system is he has no responsibility for any of this, then the logical next thinking notion would be I am being erroneously held accountable, then I will just split.

After discovering (I posted both of them in case we need them later ha! I think his criminal history is far more extensive. He has a multitude of names - the two posted that were just like "close" to one another . I don't remember exactly but it was BS like Bob Jones at times and Bobby Jonnes. Close but different in computer days,

Then he has Ion bla bla Ion some middle name bla bal and one other.

Then on Spokeo like site he has like 5 different countries in terms of residence.

Who knows how many more names he has.

The notion that the reality that his children have been removed still has not seemed to register that the system does not agree with his notions that the place is safe, takes us back to an amazing belief system - kinda scary actually.

In addition, if it is true that CPS was out there a couple of days prior, how he cant connect that down the road, there are going to be case workers able to clearly (that stuff has to be really documented in detail) state the conditons they encountered.

Again, it comes back to how can he truly beleive , that anyone could possibly beleive that he thousht it was safe, if 72 hours before, concerns about his childrens welfare were clearly outlined to him is also bizarre.

By law, CPS must give care takers very clear thing and specific "things" that must be addressed to avoid removal from their custody, or in this case having then removed again.

WIth prior CPS invovment there will also be very clearly documented accounts by the children outlining how they were living. I also think as it relates to confidentiality a judge might allow some of those statements to be entered-36 people are deceased, its been all over the global media , so I think a judge might conclude that revealing some of that information (its already out there) is fine.

Then he has those two ladies who have been all over media, and then the g parents who know a lot it goes back to where is your attorney?

We might be talking about a murder trial, lots of people flip when we are talking about life in prison, so who knows what else is gonna be found out as "those in the know" reveal to save their tushies.

mo only

BBM

:goodpost:

FWIW I agree with your entire post. I honestly do not think there is anything the city could have done in the way of inspections or other action to prevent this or a similar disaster in another warehouse...for exactly the reasons you lay out so well. Had they tried, there would have been protests and lawsuits to block their action as interfering with the residents' freedom, making them homeless, etc. It's an extremely complex problem, as this thread has been discussing...affordable housing, greed, support of art, homelessness, etc. These problems won't be solved by cracking down on warehouses. That's a knee jerk reaction. The only thing a crackdown will do is absolve the city of perceived blame...but create more problems. I don't see a practical solution, honestly, that creates safe spaces for living and for venues unless individuals act responsibly. Some prefer to live like this, just as some homeless reject efforts to house them in decent places (google Eureka CA). People will be people and do what they want to do.

Not absolving the owner and city completely, but the bottom line is that DIA and MA are primarily to blame for this inferno. Ultimately it really comes down to two individuals breaking the law and caring more about themselves than even their own children.
JMO, MOO, etc

Hi Lilibet!

I agree with your post in spirit but I have to veer a little in that I do believe the city has a responsibility to ensure that buildings are safe. I would hate to live adjacent to a death trap only to have my house burn down because the city couldn't be bothered to force the owner to put fire safety measures in place. Who would I blame? The city inspectors.

What's chomping at my butt though is that it really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to install minimal safety features. If just that pallet stairway had been a properly built one then some, if not all the concert goers on the second floor would have had a fighting chance to find their way out of the building.

It makes me sick to my stomach to know that a couple of partygoers actually had time to text loved ones to say goodbye. That tells me that they knew they were trapped on the second floor with no way down. One adequate set of stairs may have changed the outcome of this fire. And while Derick I is the a-hole who let the GS become a death trap, the city could have and should have stepped in to enforce changes.

Do not know a lot about it but there is something called govt immunity. In addition, this was obviously going back decades, so I don't think a judge is going to go after a bunch of current govt staff.

I think in terms of public perception the city will be generous with families who lost people - what do they care (officials) it is not their personal money - , its the cities and in govt all they will do is overdraw the cities checking account more than it is (!) , retire and go on with their lives!!

And then its all gonna back to the reality is that none of these folks are gonna see any money for years as the legal dancing starts.

It also seems in America like many believe that if you sue someone you get money. Thats not how it works. I can sue anyone, win and get a judgment, big deal. If the other person has no resources your not getting a penny, judgment or not.

Our countries endless suing one another is absurd, imo. Who wants to go through all that BS, and at the end of the day one does not got a penny. Getting a judgment is meaningless.

I don't know if there is any solution that is immediate. Here is what I would do and encourage others to do if I could:

1. Promote a culture of obeying the law and no tolerance for corruption. Corruption should not be business as usual and ignoring laws should not be business as usual.

2. Make mental health treatment and education more available to those who need it, so people have the tools they need to stand up against abuse, either to themselves or to others. The warehouse tenants were abused. Crime victims are abuse victims.

3. Refuse to tolerate crappy conditions in your community - crime, pollution, trash, drugs, whatever.

4. Support efforts to keep jobs in your community so there is more opportunity to go around.

5. Get more involved in your government and keep elected officials accountable with your votes. Try to monitor how they are spending your tax money - did they spend it on what it's supposed to be for or for something else?

6. Donate used goods to thrift stores that help causes you support rather than throw away. For example my uncle has mental illness and Goodwill has helped him stay employed, so I donate many used things to them. My brother has been helped by the Jewish Family and Children's Services. I've been helped by the Artists First studio and also by Women's Resource Center. I also called some hotlines when I was in a crisis, I don't remember exactly which ones they were now but someone had to pay the people I talked to or they volunteered, I'm grateful for whoever that was! I've donated in the past to the St. Vincent De Paul society.

7. Support news outlets that do real investigative journalism (if you can find any).

8. Report bad conditions. Alert the media if nothing is done.

9. Do your shopping at small local businesses, maybe even make an effort to support small local businesses who sell goods made by local artists and craftspeople.

What suggestions do others have?

just mo but our leaders are going to nothing about this in reality. It will be real high focus for several months , budget demons will reemerge and govt will continue to be totally unable to govern with any common sense.

IMO until we get terms limits on congress this downward spiral shall continue.

I'm so curious to know Derek's original interaction with the warehouse owner. Certainly he came to her with a legitimate reason to rent warehouse space? Did he present a business that required inventory storage? Did he pay first and last months rent of $10K in cash?

Did she do a background, credit and criminal check on him? We assume at this point that most of his income was from marijuana growing in Northern California. How in the world did he pass all of these background checks?

I'm so curious to know Derek's original interaction with the warehouse owner. Certainly he came to her with a legitimate reason to rent warehouse space? Did he present a business that required inventory storage? Did he pay first and last months rent of $10K in cash?

Did she do a background, credit and criminal check on him? We assume at this point that most of his income was from marijuana growing in Northern California. How in the world did he pass all of these background checks?

The owner is a slum lord. My best guess is she gave a rat's patootie about credit checks.1st, last and security deposit would have been just fine. Background check? I doubt it. She was renting to him at a rate of about 50 cents per square foot. At that price no one asks questions.

In terms of anything really meaningful happens as it relates to this problem - doubtful.

We have many issues to address

I think a lot of middle age Americans are still under the notion that we are doing very well. Like the 50's .
USA number one.

Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth.

Summary is we come in at number 1 in war, incarceration, and breast augmentation.

Its really a rather depressing global report card. Go Congress!!

The U.S. ranks 1st in prisoners

The U.S. ranks 1st in small arms imports

The U.S. ranks 1st in plastic surgeons!!

The U.S. ranks 2nd in child poverty

The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance

The U.S. ranks 1st in the super rich

The U.S. ranks 1st in death by violence

The U.S. ranks 14th in education

The U.S. ranks 19th in national satisfaction

The U.S. ranks 11th in fourth grade math

The U.S. ranks 6th in fourth grade reading

The U.S. ranks 44th in health care efficiency

The U.S. ranks 101st in peace

The U.S. ranks 23rd in gender equality

The U.S. ranks 33rd in internet download speeds

The U.S. ranks 46th in freedom of the press

The U.S. ranks 26th in child well-being

The U.S. ranks 24th in literacy

The U.S. ranks 24th in freedom from corruption

The U.S. ranks 1st in wine consumption!!

The U.S. ranks 11th in condom use

The U.S. ranks 11th in minimum wage

The U.S. ranks 1st in breast augmentation

The U.S. ranks 7th in homicides

The U.S. ranks 17th in educational performance

The U.S. ranks 4th in employees faking illness

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/page/19/

Foxfire!!

I ended up watching all of them.

Fascinating fascinating stuff

[video=youtube;fIjOGCAZfgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjOGCAZfgk[/video]

I only came to this site yesterday. I had a hard time coming to this site as the Rhode Island nightclub fire had a big impact on me and it was because one of the people I grew up with in my hometown happened to be a victim. Different age group and not even someone close. My sister and I (though I had to come home to Florida) watched as his father visited his son's grave every day until he himself died. Our Dad passed away about the same time so our grieving was somewhat synchronous. Those families went through awful times. You can expect to lose a parent, as hard as that is, but not a child. We all know this, but actually observing a family going through something so horrific is just agonizing. These are people burying a child and I can't even begin to imagine that.

In terms of anything really meaningful happens as it relates to this problem - doubtful.

We have many issues to address

I think a lot of middle age Americans are still under the notion that we are doing very well. Like the 50's .
USA number one.

Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth.

Summary is we come in at number 1 in war, incarceration, and breast augmentation.

Its really a rather depressing global report card. Go Congress!!

The U.S. ranks 1st in prisoners

The U.S. ranks 1st in small arms imports

The U.S. ranks 1st in plastic surgeons!!

The U.S. ranks 2nd in child poverty

The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance

The U.S. ranks 1st in the super rich

The U.S. ranks 1st in death by violence

The U.S. ranks 14th in education

The U.S. ranks 19th in national satisfaction

The U.S. ranks 11th in fourth grade math

The U.S. ranks 6th in fourth grade reading

The U.S. ranks 44th in health care efficiency

The U.S. ranks 101st in peace

The U.S. ranks 23rd in gender equality

The U.S. ranks 33rd in internet download speeds

The U.S. ranks 46th in freedom of the press

The U.S. ranks 26th in child well-being

The U.S. ranks 24th in literacy

The U.S. ranks 24th in freedom from corruption

The U.S. ranks 1st in wine consumption!!

The U.S. ranks 11th in condom use

The U.S. ranks 11th in minimum wage

The U.S. ranks 1st in breast augmentation

The U.S. ranks 7th in homicides

The U.S. ranks 17th in educational performance

The U.S. ranks 4th in employees faking illness

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/page/19/

Reading scores ? And rank to be born in ..I want a lot more then that before I think we are down a rat hole ...
The man got paid to let them use a space it makes it in MOO his responsibility to see that it is safe for their use ..I see him being charged and the owner being sued also....
Prayers for all involved who lost their lives ,family, or just had to live with the horror of escaping this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To give an idea of what it was like to attend an event at the Ghostship. If I was in my 20's and living in Oakland I may very well have been there that night.

[video=youtube;p6toXmP6QO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6toXmP6QO8&t[/video]

To give an idea of what it was like to attend an event at the Ghostship. If I was in my 20's and living in Oakland I may very well have been there that night.

[video=youtube;p6toXmP6QO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6toXmP6QO8&t[/video]

I would have been right there with you, MsM!

I skimmed the video but noticed all the electrical wires hanging from the ceiling at the beginning and the young guy smoking in the hallway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState