CA CA - Matthew Greene, 39, Mammoth Lakes, 16 July 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First post top of this page and on - lots of details shared, phone records, etc...:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=740

Also make note of post made Aug 27, 2013 - 12:59am PT -- absolutely brilliant -- also interesting links -- put this peep in charge:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2195321&tn=1240

Old trip report matt logged in 2006 a friend came across and shared for reference:
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2207307/Matt-Green-Trip-Report-2006-for-reference

Oh My Gosh!

What an incredible wealth of information!

I have been reading it for a while... Yet have not read it all...

but... It is kept updated ... Up-to-the minute, so to speak!

Great Find, TaraBull!

:rocker:

From what I have gathered.....everything he brought with him on the trip was left at the campground with the exception of a black and white backpack, yellow boots, a pair of crampons, an ice axe, his cell phone, a red digital camera, his wallet, the items he was wearing and some pages out of a hiking book and the few items that were found to be with his car in the shop. He was planning on leaving on July 18th when his car was supposed to be ready for him to pick up. He had paid for his stay at the campground for the night of the 16th and 17th. The camp host threw all of his belongings in storage when he hadn't returned (not sure exactly when this occurred.) He was on his cell phone texting friends the afternoon and evening of the 16th up until approximately 9:30pm (I don't have the exact times in front of me) normal conversations, nothing out of the ordinary, no mention of what he would be doing the following day. The pings from his phone put him at or near the campground, where he was believed to be, during that time period. A text came into his phone close to 3am PST on the 17th from a friend back home. I am under the impression that his phone had been powered off and then turned on for a very brief period at that time and that is why the text was received. It is my understanding that the phone may have been in another location in the Mammoth area (not the same location as it has been the night before) when that text was received. No further cell phone activity; it is believed his phone battery is dead. I believe he checked into the campground with his friends near the end of June. Hope that helps!

"Gear:
He was carrying a large black/white backpack, yellow LaSportiva Nepal Extremes boots, crampons, and one ice axe. He did not have his tent, bivvy, sleeping bag, stove, or green heavy jacket indicating he only expected to do a day hike.

Last known contacts:
His Father via phone: July 16th
Friend via text (no info): night of July 16th"

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2195321/Missing-friend-in-Mammoth-Lakes-area

ETA - "wallet"

Great summary! :thumb:

Oh My Gosh!

What an incredible wealth of information!

I have been reading it for a while... Yet have not read it all...

but... It is kept updated ... Up-to-the minute, so to speak!

Great Find, TaraBull!

:rocker:

I edited my post way before u quoted me but it quoted the version prior to editing... :crazy:

Regardless...

Someone else posted the link upthread -- it should have come with a warning...LOL...lots to sift thru there...

Boy oh boy. I grew up in this area and it's not a place to get lost. Prayers going up for Matthew!

:praying:

This may have been brought up already so forgive me if it has but is this campground or hiking area near the huge fire going on in Yosemite now?

Yosemite is about a two hour drive away from Mammoth.

Ok, I was under the impression he is from Mammoth, but was hiking near Yosemite. Approx 300+ square miles of area around Yosemite is currently on fire. I'm just thinking that if he (or any evidence relating to his disappearance) is in that burn area.....it doesn't bode well. Praying for a safe return though.

The Rim fire is no where near Mammoth. Prayers for this young man and his family.

ETA also Rim fire is mainly burning in Tuolumne County (my county) very small portion of fire has now spread to Yosemite Park :(

The Rim fire is no where near Mammoth. Prayers for this young man and his family.

ETA also Rim fire is mainly burning in Tuolumne County (my county) very small portion of fire has now spread to Yosemite Park :(

Oh my, AnjL...:hug:

I don't know how parents even breathe when their child is missing, no matter their age. I hope some day they get answers.

Even though the weather is getting so much colder and snowy, we hope you are found, Matthew! :praying:

A year has come and gone...July 16th marked a whole year since anyone has seen you.

Where are you Matthew Greene?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nutphinx