CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gr
Kalimouse and I joined forces and visited the Rosa's Lookout site last Friday (7/3) to explore that spot with the red outline. From viewing the drone photo, both of us thought there really may be something there. However, once we arrived at that location, there was no evidence of anything human at that specific spot. In the near proximity, about 5-7 yards away, we did locate a pair of chrome shades laying on the ground, right near the base of the same giant rock seen in the drone photo. We continued searching the area on that side of mountain for about two hours, hacking and cutting our way through growths that have not seen others pass since probably any fires ravaged the landscape. But we did come upon at least one short path that was probably cleared by the search & rescue teams nearly two years earlier. We then took a lunch break and explored the area north of where Matthew's hat was found, just below the lookout. There, we found another pair of shades hanging on a shrub, as if they were thrown from the lookout, roughly 5-10 yards from the edge of the lookout. Both pairs of shades and a white iphone charging cable we found near the entrance to an animal den are shown on the attached photo.

Great work!. The animal den. Was it big? Any idea what kind of animal den? Any way to search the den w/out endangering yourself?

Gr

Great work!. The animal den. Was it big? Any idea what kind of animal den? Any way to search the den w/out endangering yourself?

The den was shaped like an igloo with its outside base diameter or about 5' and height of almost 4'. Its opening was circular, about 10" in diameter, and was flush with the ground. The whole formation was fully built of twigs and branches, no thicker than 1/2". The den was very dense, and we could not see inside. Kalimouse suggested cracking it open, but I didn't have the guts. I don't know what critter built it, but it could not have been too large based on the den's opening. It almost looked like a beaver's den, however it was located on a shrub covered shady slope, away from any gullies and other potential bodies of water that would form even during the rainy season.
I thought I took a few photos of the den, but my lame app (ViewRanger) has an odd way of taking photos which involves confirming each shot with an off-screen menu, and I was not aware of that procedure at that time. Hence, none of my photos were confirmed, and were therefore not saved.

The den was shaped like an igloo with its outside base diameter or about 5' and height of almost 4'. Its opening was circular, about 10" in diameter, and was flush with the ground. The whole formation was fully built of twigs and branches, no thicker than 1/2". The den was very dense, and we could not see inside. Kalimouse suggested cracking it open, but I didn't have the guts. I don't know what critter built it, but it could not have been too large based on the den's opening. It almost looked like a beaver's den, however it was located on a shrub covered shady slope, away from any gullies and other potential bodies of water that would form even during the rainy season.
I thought I took a few photos of the den, but my lame app (ViewRanger) has an odd way of taking photos which involves confirming each shot with an off-screen menu, and I was not aware of that procedure at that time. Hence, none of my photos were confirmed, and were therefore not saved.
Hope this copies over. Does it look like what you saw? They say woodrats build these.
Google Image Result for https://baynature.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/stickhabitat.jpg

Hope this copies over. Does it look like what you saw? They say woodrats build these.
Google Image Result for https://baynature.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/stickhabitat.jpg

Last night, before I wrote my last post, I tried figuring out what animal could have built it and I did come upon those woodrats dens, but I don't think it's a rats' den. The opening was too large and there were no rat droppings near the entrance to the den. But who knows, woodrats may be the builders of that neat igloo. Next time Kalimouse and I go out there, I'll ask him to stick his hand into the den to see what he pulls out clamped onto his finger :)

Last night, before I wrote my last post, I tried figuring out what animal could have built it and I did come upon those woodrats dens, but I don't think it's a rats' den. The opening was too large and there were no rat droppings near the entrance to the den. But who knows, woodrats may be the builders of that neat igloo. Next time Kalimouse and I go out there, I'll ask him to stick his hand into the den to see what he pulls out clamped onto his finger :)
LOL ! I dont think that I would stick my hand in there but I do have a inspection camera that we could use. I asked a family member about the location of the rats nest that they said that they found when they used flir. They were not told of the location. After looking at the link for the woodrats. I am positive that is the design of the nest we seen. Its was large in size.

I would like to share with the forum the project I have been working on to assist in locating matthew.

Stage 1: We know the last location of his phones last ping. The problem is the area, it is extremely difficult to search due to brush and a steep decline. I purchased a used dji phantom drone and have been analyzing topographical maps to determine a good flight path/height to thoroughly and clearly scan the area. The overall goal is to create a 3d model (using photogrammetry) of the mountain, starting at the location of the last ping. I personally feel this could help us with future searches and pinpointing precise areas of interest. The flight path will criss cross in a checkered board pattern to ensure full coverage. Additionally, I have been designing a camera connected to a pole which I will connect to the drone to get ground level and sliding through brush to acquire hard to reach shots. Using a similar flight plan the drone will hover, lower the camera, spin 360 degrees, raise to safe flight height, and move to the next location to repeat the process. The latest estimates, show that it will take 25 flights (6.25 hours of flight time based on 15 minutes minimum per flight) to complete this project based on the acreage. I only have 3 batteries at this time and will be purchasing 7 more by the time I get to the 10th successful flight.
Once completed , I will release this 3d model to everyone to access. I am wanting to start this project within the next week and hopefully have stage one completed (or near completion) by the August 10th or the next scheduled group search .

Stage 2: I will be purchasing a cellphone metal detector

and modify its search radius with a coil similar to this design

I will purchase another drone and use both to suspend the coil between them at a safe distance to ensure no false positive from the drones. With this assembly, they will fly over the entire mountain scanning finding only cellphones regardless if they are on/off.

I found a company that claims to have a product that accomplish this task with one drone https://www.treasurehunter3d.com/p240/dronerover-treasurehunter3d There is two main problems. 1.) They only have preorders, which leads me to believe that they don't have a solid working product yet. 2.) The cost. $5.299,00. For a product that may or may not be real and not currently ready for sale. I cannot see this being something I want to bank on at this time. Especially since I am financing this myself and the total project will cost me under $5,000. I am working a full time job and putting aside what I can spare every paycheck to complete this endevour.

If anyone wants to help or has advice on how to improve the outcome in anyway, please pm me. I am very open to creative ideas. I was considering creating a gofund me page to assist in the financing to speed up the process but I have never done one and do not have the time to learn and promote it. Also from what I have been told in order to receive the funds you have to meet your goal.

So far, just his key, hat, and a white bloody shirt. If you watch FINDING MATTHEW WEAVER PART 1 AND 2 on YouTube by Immortal Investigation, you will see the locations of these items.

Oh yes I meant the new items found by y’all this summer, the sunglasses, striped shirt, etc.

And IIRC the white bloody shirt still hasn’t been tested, or released to @wildcats821, right?

Oh yes I meant the new items found by y’all this summer, the sunglasses, striped shirt, etc.

And IIRC the white bloody shirt still hasn’t been tested, or released to @wildcats821, right?
No the sunglasses and T-shirt were not Matthews. Both Matthew’s hat and T-shirt have been released to me. They said they had tested it. I’ll call again on Monday and confirm which items came back with what DNA we have been given conflicting answers.

epsiode 3 Including the 911 call

This video gave me chills. I had no idea how rough the terrain was.
So in the 911 call I’m assuming that they think Mathews car is the porche? I am glad you finally got it because there were so many different stories surrounding that call. It seems like it was his car and he was calling for help. :( they said all the doors were open?

Last edited:
Wildcats have you thought of getting a cadaver dog to walk the trail or maybe backbone trail? I saw in moorpark there is a K9 Dog training Place. Maybe they can help you find a dog for the weekend or tell you how dogs work to see if it’s worth it. I know it’s very steep terrain but maybe it can help narrow down a search area. I tried googling to see how far they smell and it’l seem like a good distance. Worth looking into. This place is in Santa Paula and they do search and rescue or search and recovery of missing people FAQs - National Disaster Search Dog Foundation

epsiode 3 Including the 911 call

Thank you for obtaining the 911 call and sharing! Did the call get disconnected? It ends so abruptly. And no one knows who the caller was? Doesn't 911 capture the incoming phone numbers? To my untrained ear, she sounds like she's from the South.

How strange. She was obviously concerned enough to call in the first place so I'm surprised she didn't call back. You'd think whenever she got back home she would have Googled to see if anything came of the "white Porsche" that had "fallen off" Stunt Rd. How frustrating. :(

This video gave me chills. I had no idea how rough the terrain was.
So in the 911 call I’m assuming that they think Mathews car is the porche? I am glad you finally got it because there were so many different stories surrounding that call. It seems like it was his car and he was calling for help. :( they said all the doors were open?
Yes they originally thought it was a Porsche, yeah everything is still super confusing and we still get conflicting answers. It seems to me someone was calling for help chp and the fire captain the cries for help and he has a gun. That is why the swat team came in.

Wildcats have you thought of getting a cadaver dog to walk the trail or maybe backbone trail? I saw in moorpark there is a K9 Dog training Place. Maybe they can help you find a dog for the weekend or tell you how dogs work to see if it’s worth it. I know it’s very steep terrain but maybe it can help narrow down a search area. I tried googling to see how far they smell and it’l seem like a good distance. Worth looking into. This place is in Santa Paula and they do search and rescue or search and recovery of missing people FAQs - National Disaster Search Dog Foundation
Yes I believe we have had 3 cadaver dogs present in the police searches and they all didn’t seem to come up with anything. The first two didn’t even find his hat that was not that far from his car. I’ll reach out to them and see if it is something They can help with. It might be awhile because it is so hot and I know they don’t work well when it’s hot

Thank you for obtaining the 911 call and sharing! Did the call get disconnected? It ends so abruptly. And no one knows who the caller was? Doesn't 911 capture the incoming phone numbers? To my untrained ear, she sounds like she's from the South.

How strange. She was obviously concerned enough to call in the first place so I'm surprised she didn't call back. You'd think whenever she got back home she would have Googled to see if anything came of the "white Porsche" that had "fallen off" Stunt Rd. How frustrating. :(
Yes from my understanding it was disconnected and I don’t currently know who called it in. It does sound like she is southern too. I am wondering if maybe she got back to the car and police we’re there. I am not sure at all though. But there was never a second call. Thank god she called

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back