CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Kalimouse,

Thank you for your writeup and the helpful information. I too became recently introduced to Matthew's case and would like to bring him home.

A couple of points I would like to mention. Although I do not know the address where his female friend resides, the central area of Chatsworth (Topanga Canyon Boulevard and Lassen Street) is about 10 miles from the Mulholland Hwy/Old Topanga Canyon Road intersection. If he caught all green traffic lights, traveling the 10 miles in 15 minutes equates to 40mph.

In regards the treacherous dirt road portion of the Topanga Tower Motorway being too narrow to turn around once one drives onto it, if Matthew somehow came to his senses in those 15 minutes it took him to traverse the Motorway's one mile (0.7 miles on dirt), he had three opportunities to turn around while on the dirt portion. The road widens at about 0.25 miles down the dirt portion, widens again at 0.58 miles, and at 0.63 miles the dirt road splits, allowing for a 3-way turn-around. Either his drug-impaired state of mind or his suicidal directive guided him nonstop down to where his BMW got stuck. He probably forgot, or was unaware, that there was a large boulder blocking the path to allow for passage shortly after the eroded gully, until after he got stuck, since he was too focused on that gully.

Regarding the eroded gully, I'm a bit surprised he got his beemer stuck there, since the graded level section was wide enough to pass with all four wheels on the ground had he squeezed closer to the lookout-side of the path, through the bushes on the side. (I know it was mentioned that the gully opened up beneath the BMW's weight, but looking at historical aerial photos on GoogleEarth, that gully was there prior to August 2018.)

I too find it believable that Matthew's vehicle could have been stuck there since 7:30am until the early hours of the following day without being reported. According to Weather Underground, the temperature was 85 degrees that August 10th of 2018; it may have been too warm for many to venture out. During your visit, the temps peaked at 70 degrees, a lot more pleasant for a hike. Also, these days with Covid-19, more people are home from work and seek out outdoor activities, hence you may have observed a busier day than when Matthew was there. And, except from one small spot from the lookout (southeasterly corner) , the vehicle would have not been visible from above. I am even willing to believe that some people may have come upon the BMW, and although they found it very strange and at a dangerous location, some may have not reported it, since they didn't actually see anyone in a danger, or just didn't want to deal with it.

Today (Saturday, 6/20) my buddy and I visited Rosa's Lookout, and we repelled down that eroded gully about 150' down from the path (based on the length of my rope). As we repelled down, we scanned both sides of the gully, good 10 yards in either direction. Other than some bottles, cans, tea candles, and one rattling rattlesnake, we found no sign of poor Matthew or his clothing. Earlier I wrote that I noticed something red on the drone photos down in that gully, but the only red material we came across down there were bushels of red flowers on a shrub.

We then explored the area beneath the lookout where Matthew's hat was found. Don't know whether this belonged to Matthew, but we did find a collapsed portion of a glasses case, of which I'm attaching a photo. At first I did not know what it was, because the case was missing its sides and was flattened, until I got home and searched it out online. Below I am also attaching a photo of what the case looks like when new.

I'm hoping to return to Rosa's Lookout in the near future to continue searching for poor Matthew.

Attachments

• Found Item - Glasses Case 2020-06-20 2.jpg
    Found Item - Glasses Case 2020-06-20 2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Glasses Case.jpg
    Glasses Case.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Mar-v
Thank you for you feedback. I am assuming that you know the valley, Melissa (the girl) lives in the trailer park on the top of topanga and 118 freeway. From what I have been told, he took the 118 to 405 to 101.

This weekend, I video chatted with a top racing drone pilot to get advice and how to search with them . I would like to share with forum on what I learned, for those of you that have drones and will be searching the mountain.

He recommends to use the litchi app and plot out way-points before launching. With litchi, you can have the drone go to multiple locations at the any desired altitude. This is great for beginner drone pilots, like myself, which accelerates the learning curve and conserves unnecessary flight time.

When I showed him the current drone footage available online. He sent me back a 10 second revised version with the color green removed. He gave me this link on how he did it.

He suggested to first do low altitude flyovers. Take the footage and remove unwanted colors. Since we have all been looking for his red shoes in the current drone footage, red would be the color we want to keep. Then create way-points for the drone to examine in closer detail.

He said that they had success with using a design similar to this practicing new drone racing maneuvers and he feels it would be good for searching at extremely tight spaces close to the ground.

I plan to purchase a dji phantom 3 in the upcoming week. If you know of anyone with this drone for sale please pm me . I will be uploading all color edited and unedited footage on youtube for public viewing .

I downloaded the drone footage with a online video downloader. I had problems downloading it from the tip website, resulting in loss of resolution. Removed the color green and focused on oranges and reds. In my future drone videos I am going to perfect this method .

Last edited:
I downloaded the drone footage with a online video downloader. I had problems downloading it from the tip website, resulting in loss of resolution. Removed the color green and focused on oranges and reds. In my future drone videos I am going to perfect this method .

Is this new footage or footage you took?

Is this new footage or footage you took?

My apologies. Now that I watched this I can tell it’s new footage. Wow, I really appreciate how close you got to the brush. That’s good to see. I will have to put it on my big screen tv to see if I spot anything. Watching this it seems you used a Specific filter. Should we be looking for something in particular?

Last edited:

Is there anyway you can put his color shoe up with this filter so when we search we can look for that color. I don’t know if you have something red to place in there so we can see what exactly pops out?

Is there anyway you can put his color shoe up with this filter so when we search we can look for that color. I don’t know if you have something red to place in there so we can see what exactly pops out?
This is old footage from the tip website. I used a online downloader. I just used a method that was explained to use from the video link a few posts back . I think with the time of day this old footage was taken. It cast alot of shadows. When I do it, I am going to fly the drone when the sun is overhead. I would think if you look at the video I modded, you will see the red spraypaint on the rock. I turned the red all the up and the green completely down. This was my first attempt at doing it but I feel that the resolution loss and the late in the day that it was taken affected quality.

This is old footage from the tip website. I used a online downloader. I just used a method that was explained to use from the video link a few posts back . I think with the time of day this old footage was taken. It cast alot of shadows. When I do it, I am going to fly the drone when the sun is overhead. I would think if you look at the video I modded, you will see the red spraypaint on the rock. I turned the red all the up and the green completely down. This was my first attempt at doing it but I feel that the resolution loss and the late in the day that it was taken affected quality.

Kalimouse,

Excellent job at getting this technique to work. That should aid in spotting any red items. I would also suggest doing the same with those drone photos.

Let me know when the next time is you plan on visiting the site; I may meet you there.

Hello all,

This is my first post on Matthew's thread. His story of disappearance saddens me. Poor guy.

After reading through his thread, watched several videos about Matthew's disappearance, and scanned over some of the drone photos, this past Saturday I made the 70 mile drive from my Orange County home to Rosa's lookout to see the place for myself. As many have already stated, unless you stay on the trail, the vast of the terrain is extremely difficult to explore. And I have done my share of hiking, such as reaching the peaks of Mt. San Gorgonio and Mt. Whitney.

After I walked along the lookout's surrounding path and scaled a few adjacent rock formations, I decided to take the risk and explore the eroded gully below where Matthew's BMW got stuck. From the photos of the BMW, it appears he spent considerable time trying to prop the rear right tire with some rocks. Unless someone else placed it there, his lugnut wrench was found in the passenger seat, indicating he even attempted to remove the wheel. It is therefore not hard to conclude that Matthew may have accidentally tumbled down that gully. I therefore started scanning through the drone photos of the lower gully. Unfortunately, although I tried to download the 14GB file of the higher resolution photos several times on two separate computers, the downloaded file was always corrupted. I therefore had to work with the online photos. Can the high-res photos of the gully be posted somewhere?

Drone photo -222 shows an area I wished to reach. The zoomed in drone photo -252, and several others consecutive photos of that area, show something that appears to be of red color. See the circles on these two attached images. Although my descent without a rope was manageable, had the slope been only slightly steeper, I would have needed a repelling rope or a camping shovel to dig some foot holds. (I did notice three electronic tea candles in the gully.) I made it about 2/3 down the gully to my target area when I came upon a large shrub spanning the entire width of the ditch. I was not able to pass that point and a machete would be needed to make way. I do plan on revisiting the lookout real soon with the necessary tools. Also, although the canopies of the shrubs make it impossible to see what is below them, once you get into the bushes and closer to the ground, the field of vision expands upto 20-30 feet.

Finally, I've attached two maps of the search areas I was able to locate. The first, hand-drawn map may indicate the area around this gully was already searched, but the second Google map does not show that this area, nor where Matthew's hat was located, were searched. Was the gully area searched already?

For the sake of Matthew's family, I truly hope Matthew will come home, one way or another.
Hi,
Wow thank you so much for making the drive from Orange County to come out and search for me brother. Can you submit those tips if you haven’t already to the tip line so I can add them to the map so we can search them. Which gully are you referring to? We have searched many of the areas and I have not had a chance to talk with each family member on what areas they have looked in. I will be doing that this weekend to get ready for the next search. You are more than welcome to join us for the next search on 7/5 at 9am. We have machetes and 300/400 foot rope, and such.

Wow, reading everyone’s posts from going up there makes me so excited! Thank you so much for continuing to look for my brother. I really want to thank everyone who has went up there and continued to submit tips to the tip line. I did want to make another post but we will be up there on 7/5 at 9am. I am hoping to get a permit so we can drive a vehicle and/or a quad so we can save the energy for searching.

Mar-v
Thank you for you feedback. I am assuming that you know the valley, Melissa (the girl) lives in the trailer park on the top of topanga and 118 freeway. From what I have been told, he took the 118 to 405 to 101.

Kalimouse,

Thank you for sharing that info; I do not have connections like you do, so all my assumptions are based on what is available online to the public.

Since Matthew took the 118-405-101 route from Melissa's to the Mulholland Hwy/Old Topanga Canyon Road intersection in 15 minutes, which is a 27 mile route, he needed to be flying at 108mph, considering he drove that speed on city streets and avoided any red lights. Either the timeline is off, or Matthew was going way above 108mph when on the freeways.

Assuming the timeline is correct, Matthew probably needed to vent some steam racing at high speed. Not sure if his destination was planned or spontaneously decided on while on the freeway, but if he was in clear state of mind and he intended to go to Stunt Road, he would have taken the more direct, 10 mile route along Topanga Canyon Road; this route is shorter in mileage and in time at 5am than taking the freeways (unless you're speeding excessively). Through Melissa we found out Matthew and Melissa did have a deep conversation early that morning, and Matthew may have said more than she wanted to know. And who knows, maybe Melissa didn't respond well (rejected him), and poor Matthew needed some racing excitement to forget. It appears he has been racing up and down those curvy roads before he ended up at the Rosa's Lookout trailhead parking lot.

Or, the timeline is a bit off, and he arrived at the Mulholland Hwy/Old Topanga Canyon Road intersection later than 15 minutes after he left Melissa's, because he then spent nearly 20 minutes driving the 4 miles on Mulholland Hwy, which computes to about 12mph. Adding the two mileages (27 + 4) and times (15 + 20) together, Matthew drove 31 miles in 35 minutes, which averages to 53mph and includes freeways, city roads, and traffic signals. An error in the timeline makes more sense. But I guess that doesn't really matter, right?

I have also been reading the past couple of posts. Matthew did not take the 118, to the 405, to the 101.
He was on the 118 got off at Topanga, hung out with Melissa and did whatever. Then took Topanga all the way down.

Attachments

• 29AC9F7C-D07C-4B45-99BB-22F71ADBF2B9.jpeg
    29AC9F7C-D07C-4B45-99BB-22F71ADBF2B9.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 36
Today we searched the mountain, starting from old topanga road at the backbone trailhead. We walked about 2 miles up the trail to this gps location

34.091811, -118.623907

We searched the area and found the following items, we believe they DO NOT belong to Matthew. We did not take the items, we didn't have bags to transport them safely in. We left a marker incase someone searches this location before we return .
https://i.imgur.com/xxv73PO.jpg
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Hi,
Wow thank you so much for making the drive from Orange County to come out and search for me brother.

Wildcats821,
You're welcome. I'll try to drive up to the lookout a couple times a month, if I get someone to go with me. The first time I was there by myself, and I wasn't feeling too safe climbing down the slopes.

Can you submit those tips if you haven’t already to the tip line so I can add them to the map so we can search them.

I will try to figure out the official tips submittal process. I would guess it's done through the Facebook page?

Which gully are you referring to?

The eroded gully I searched twice now, up to 150' down from the path, is the one Matthew's BMW's back tire was suspended over. See the red area shown on the attached aerial photo. (Next time you will visit the site, you may notice the primitive rope anchoring system we built using a found 2x4 wooden plank and two piles of rocks, located across the path from the top of that gully.)

I will be doing that this weekend to get ready for the next search. You are more than welcome to join us for the next search on 7/5 at 9am. We have machetes and 300/400 foot rope, and such.

I am not sure what my plans are for the 4th of July weekend, but I may show up on the 5th, should I be free. I also have ropes and machetes. I found a cheap folding camping shovel, about 2' long, works well for those steep slopes. I can use it to whack and sawcut through shrubs, dig footholds, and potentially use it as a weapon against snakes and other wildlife.

I do have a few question about how Matthew's BMW was found:

1) In photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, there are several rocks piled beneath the rear right tire. Were those rocks placed there before the vehicle was discovered, or were the rocks placed there after the discovery?

2) In the photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, there is a lugnut wrench in the passenger seat visible through the windshield. Was the vehicle discovered with the wrench in that seat?

3) In the photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, was the vehicle discovered with the trunk wide opened? (I believe I read both, that it was closed and opened upon discovery.)

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Matthew Weaver Search 2020-06-20.jpg
    Matthew Weaver Search 2020-06-20.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 78
Wildcats821,
You're welcome. I'll try to drive up to the lookout a couple times a month, if I get someone to go with me. The first time I was there by myself, and I wasn't feeling too safe climbing down the slopes.

I will try to figure out the official tips submittal process. I would guess it's done through the Facebook page?

The eroded gully I searched twice now, up to 150' down from the path, is the one Matthew's BMW's back tire was suspended over. See the red area shown on the attached aerial photo. (Next time you will visit the site, you may notice the primitive rope anchoring system we built using a found 2x4 wooden plank and two piles of rocks, located across the path from the top of that gully.)

I am not sure what my plans are for the 4th of July weekend, but I may show up on the 5th, should I be free. I also have ropes and machetes. I found a cheap folding camping shovel, about 2' long, works well for those steep slopes. I can use it to whack and sawcut through shrubs, dig footholds, and potentially use it as a weapon against snakes and other wildlife.

I do have a few question about how Matthew's BMW was found:

1) In photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, there are several rocks piled beneath the rear right tire. Were those rocks placed there before the vehicle was discovered, or were the rocks placed there after the discovery?

2) In the photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, there is a lugnut wrench in the passenger seat visible through the windshield. Was the vehicle discovered with the wrench in that seat?

3) In the photos of the BMW as it was found on the path, was the vehicle discovered with the trunk wide opened? (I believe I read both, that it was closed and opened upon discovery.)

Thank you in advance.

To submit tips go to the website Home
It’s easier to keep the tips all in once place. oh okay I will keep an eye up on that the next time we go up there. When the police found the car they took those pictures so I am assuming the rocks were there when they discovered the car. I am not sure again what the police touched but yes when the car was pulled out it had the wrench in the front seat. But it wasn’t unusually for Matthew to have tools in his car like that. We have received very mixed answers from the police. One minute the trunk was found locked and another it was open not sure how they cannot determine that Info. These are very good questions I’m going to write these down and email them to the officer.

We are getting very confusing responses from police because The CHP was originally the first responders, the. Lost hills and then the case was transferred over to LAPD. In a matter of days

To submit tips go to the website Home
It’s easier to keep the tips all in once place. oh okay I will keep an eye up on that the next time we go up there. When the police found the car they took those pictures so I am assuming the rocks were there when they discovered the car. I am not sure again what the police touched but yes when the car was pulled out it had the wrench in the front seat. But it wasn’t unusually for Matthew to have tools in his car like that. We have received very mixed answers from the police. One minute the trunk was found locked and another it was open not sure how they cannot determine that Info. These are very good questions I’m going to write these down and email them to the officer.

Wildcats821,
Thank you for answering my questions about Matthew's BMW. So, it does appear Matthew spent some time working on getting his car freed. Because he picked up Melissa 24 hours prior to the car's discovery, I would think Matthew placed the lugnut wrench onto the passenger seat after he dropped her off, and probably after attempting to use it on his stuck vehicle.

I posted my tip about the found glasses case and uploaded some jpg files on the link you provided.

The lug wrench may have been out if he thought about using the car's jack to try to get something under the wheels for traction.
The lug wrench is usually stored with the jack and used to operate the jack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back