CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In earlier reports, hikers supposedly had spotted someone stuck in their car on the edge of the outlook and called 911 to get them some help. Then again, there are so many versions being passed around through media of what happened where, when and why, really hard to pinpoint what happened and what did not.
It seems one would only drive up this trail with one intention and it does not involve turning around, driving back down and safely returning home .
I feel like he had decided that morning that he would drive up that trail and drive his car right over the edge.
Seems things didnt go as planned and his car got hung up on something.
Maybe thats when his last text was sent asking for help or someone to talk to. Possible that he changed his mind at that moment and was considering a way to get his car back down and needed someone to assist him.
Maybe he realized he was already in over his head, decided there would be no going back from this and ultimately jumped either near the location of his car or possibly wandered off to another location and carried out with jumping there. This would explain why hes not being found near where his vehicle was located.
Just speculating here. I doubt anyone would drive up that trail with the expectation of drivng back down it.
Agree unless he was wasted out of his mind and did not care

Yes, where his car was stuck was it, there was no way he could have driven any further at that point. The first thought was suicide and he was trying to drive off the cliff. But now it makes less sense because where is he now. I do not know much about suicide but I do feel like if you hit the point you are ready to do it and go for it and it fails that you have to reformulate a plan. You just do not immediately say Ok Im jumping off this cliff. I could be wrong because I have never been suicidal .

Malibu Barbie where they able to do a complete search of hills below where his car was found or is the brush to heavy?

I agree with the question asked on the last page regarding no one spotting this car until 3 AM. How heavily trafficked would this trail be (where his car was found) on a Friday afternoon/evening? It seems like if anyone else had come upon this car, they would have found it startling/odd and probably called police. I'm just trying to think if it's possible his car was there since 1153 AM when the last text was sent, or if it would be near impossible for it to sit there over 12 hours without being seen.

I agree with the question asked on the last page regarding no one spotting this car until 3 AM. How heavily trafficked would this trail be (where his car was found) on a Friday afternoon/evening? It seems like if anyone else had come upon this car, they would have found it startling/odd and probably called police. I'm just trying to think if it's possible his car was there since 1153 AM when the last text was sent, or if it would be near impossible for it to sit there over 12 hours without being seen.
This is why we need a firm timeline. I thought the car was discovered at 4PM.

This is why we need a firm timeline. I thought the car was discovered at 4PM.

No the car was discovered around 3:30 am.
One go fund me update says to check security footage 6:30-11:30 am and then one after says to check security footage 11:30-4:00 for anything suspicious. Are they thinking someone else went up there? If they have video of him going in wouldn’t they have video of other people going in as well? Or anyone leaving?

What is a verified insider?
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

I read this and I can't tell if the criteria has changed. In one of the WS cases I followed, a person came on saying she was a friend of the family and proceeded to tell us what had happened. Unfortunately, the next day that part of the thread was deleted because the person telling us what had happened wasn't a verified insider!
In incredibly frustrating but maybe they're not doing that anymore.

I don't want you to stop telling us stuff but I don't want anything you tell us get deleted.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

I read this and I can't tell if the criteria has changed. In one of the WS cases I followed, a person came on saying she was a friend of the family and proceeded to tell us what had happened. Unfortunately, the next day that part of the thread was deleted because the person telling us what had happened wasn't a verified insider!
In incredibly frustrating but maybe they're not doing that anymore.

I don't want you to stop telling us stuff but I don't want anything you tell us get deleted.

Basically, if you are verified, you don't have to provide backup/links for your information. If not verified, information generally needs a link to a mainstream media source .

Its an easy process!

From my knowledge yes they did, They repelled down and searched for hours below that area

Please note: Search and Rescue had to rappel down the slope. That means that the slope was so steep searchers couldn't just walk around - they had to be tied into a line for safety. My personal estimate is that the slopes are 45 to 70 degrees. And on top of that the brush is thick and grows above head height. That's why it's extremely difficult to search the slopes below the road where Weaver's car was found.

Please note: Search and Rescue had to rappel down the slope. That means that the slope was so steep searchers couldn't just walk around - they had to be tied into a line for safety. My personal estimate is that the slopes are 45 to 70 degrees. And on top of that the brush is thick and grows above head height. That's why it's extremely difficult to search the slopes below the road where Weaver's car was found.
Thank you for explaining this- I was literally going to find out what that meant, as I had no clue.

A question for you: in your version of events, at what time was the vehicle parked there?

If the car incident coincides with the last text, the vehicle is there at mid-day, with people passing by intermittently - but not reporting the car - for the remainder of the day until it was 'discovered' by the LE search group at 3.30a.

Is it credible that the car was there all that time with no one reporting anything unusual?

Of course the article doesnt say a time the hikers reported this but in my opinion, no one reporting it is not at all credible.
Hence the reason i believe its likely that hikers did report it but police did not investigate it until several reports came in (and if they did, they somehow managed to miss it?) It just doesnt add up that no one saw his car that morning without reporting it, i mean the car would literally be blocking their walking path and its a pretty popular trail, unlikely no one visited the entire day. This may be a case of negligence on 911 reporting to the correct authorities and relying on the authorities to follow up on it thoroughly and immediately.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.c...n-topanga-area-of-santa-monica-mountains/amp/

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that around a city the size of Los Angeles, the number of abandoned vehicles, mostly stolen, numbers in the hundreds if not thousands on any given day. So following up on a report of a car blocking the path might not have been the most urgent thing they had to deal with.

But even if the police didn't immediately go out to investigate the car, if a passerby called it in during the day, that call would be recorded. Do we know if anyone called it in? I guess I'm getting at finding out what time the car was left there and if anyone was around.

I imagine that around a city the size of Los Angeles, the number of abandoned vehicles, mostly stolen, numbers in the hundreds if not thousands on any given day. So following up on a report of a car blocking the path might not have been the most urgent thing they had to deal with.
The car was off of the main hiking trail. If someone was hiking to the platform at Rosa's Overlook they would not have gone off where the trail forks and his car was. Also his car would not be visible unless you walked down that trail. I stood on the platform and could not see the spot where it was found.

The car was off of the main hiking trail. If someone was hiking to the platform at Rosa's Overlook they would not have gone off where the trail forks and his car was. Also his car would not be visible unless you walked down that trail. I stood on the platform and could not see the spot where it was found.
Oh wow, because the picture you shared looked very much like a walkable trail. Makes a huge difference if this wasnt a path that hikers frequented.
May I ask you something, Malibubarbie79? Is it your belief, based on everything you know now, that Matthew is somewhere in the vacinity of where his car was found abandoned?

Excellent video posted by one of the drone operators. I believe this is from Wed. evening, when a search took place. It does a great job of showing the terrain. It also shows the volunteers meeting before the search starts. I think I hear someone say they fired their first PI but have gotten another one since.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

So if there was a male voice and a female voice, is LE concerned that there might be TWO missing persons?

The previous reports described the voices as 'cries for help'. Is that still the case?

And then the Local - after speaking with family, they said - posted something about witnesses hearing a 'confrontation' with 'a man and a woman screaming about a gun in what appeared to be an altercation'. Any truth to this?

That post has since been deleted but other details in the post fit with the posted FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13