CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Local has the gun report up again. And the screen shots of texts between MW and his gf are back up.

Disturbing detail emerge in the disappearance of Matthew Weaver, Jr

Female and male voice were screaming for help and saying that “somebody has a gun.”
Which begs the question as to how many people were involved in this incident. If both male and female are screaming for help and yelling that someone has a gun, that implies a third person present.

The way the brush works on those hillsides, it's not an ideal place to take people down the hill on a forced march or stage a gunfight. This is all very odd and changes quite drastically the general picture of this disappearance.

Somebody has a gun intending to harm themselves and the other two are trying to stop the third?

Possibly. But there where did those people go? Why was the car abandoned? Why wasn't anyone found? Why didn't anyone come back to retrieve the car? Why didn't any one of the group try to make an emergency call on their phone?

No one reported hearing gunshots.

Wow. I wish they would ALL get their facts straight so they all matched.
I'm not sure what to think. However, if the dogs followed MW's scent to the paved part of the road, does that mean on the trail the car was found and down closer to the gate?

This could indicate MW got into a car as no further scent was detected by dogs.

If that is a possibility, who's car and why? And where did it go?

However, if the dogs followed MW's scent to the paved part of the road, does that mean on the trail the car was found and down closer to the gate?

The Local's reporting of the canine findings is - as is all too often with the publication - garbled and incoherent. This is what it says:

On Saturday Aug 11th Lost Hills/Malibu Search and Rescue used K-9 Search and Cadaver dogs first communicating they lost the scent at the paved road at Stunt and Schueren Rd, then communicated to family a second time that they lost the scent at 100 yards.

So the dogs lost the scent... somewhere.

The cadaver dog would be looking for human remains but the other dogs could be either tracking (ground) or trailing (air scent). A trailing dog basically sniffs around for wherever the person's scent might have gone v. simply tracking the trail of footprints/ground scent.

I'm not sure what any of this canine info means as there is no question that MW was there at some point and that his car was there that day. I wonder why they can't find more traces of him.

The Local's reporting of the canine findings is - as is all too often with the publication - garbled and incoherent. This is what it says:

So the dogs lost the scent... somewhere.

The cadaver dog would be looking for human remains but the other dogs could be either tracking (ground) or trailing (air scent). A trailing dog basically sniffs around for wherever the person's scent might have gone v. simply tracking the trail of footprints/ground scent.

I'm not sure what any of this canine info means as there is no question that MW was there at some point and that his car was there that day. I wonder why they can't find more traces of him.

I think The Local is lying about alot of stuff. That lady is all over the place in my opinion. Seems like shes trying to get ahead of her competition and intending to burn LE and local politicians that she obviously isnt fond of.

Wow. I wish they would ALL get their facts straight so they all matched.
I'm not sure what to think. However, if the dogs followed MW's scent to the paved part of the road, does that mean on the trail the car was found and down closer to the gate?

That is a good theory. Makes sense with the dogs losing his scent... but isnt this area under surveillance?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.c...weeks-after-disappearing-in-topanga-area/amp/

Says here that dad suspects foul play. If that is the case then why have the search efforts been limited to this area? This means he could be anywhere. Just because his vehicle is there, doesnt mean thats where he is. Especially if foul play is the concern.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the reporter said the car doors were unlocked.

I'd love for someone to GoPro up the road where his car was found.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think the reporter said the car doors were unlocked.

I'd love for someone to GoPro up the road where his car was found.

Have you seen the drone footage??? There's a link in this thread...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.c...weeks-after-disappearing-in-topanga-area/amp/

Says here that dad suspects foul play. If that is the case then why have the search efforts been limited to this area?

If foul play is suspected, then there are other persons involved. That would definitely change the search parameters.

I would think cell phone/data records would show who he'd been in contact with that morning - this would be a better place to start than to continue tromping around the hillside.

Also, I believe there's a traffic camera somewhere on the way up to the outlook, I think at a stop sign that has another sign that says it's patrolled by camera. No idea if the camera is still there or if it actually works. I might have the wrong location but I'll see if I can find it on street view.

While I feel for the family and their situation, it's disturbing to me that they've given out so much conflicting or incorrect information. They have their own suspicions about what Matthew might have been involved in or might have been going through. That could be relevant to the case - there's no need for them to share this publicly but (1) I hope they share it with LE and (2) I hope no one gets injured during these hillside searches.

If foul play is suspected, then there are other persons involved. That would definitely change the search parameters.

I would think cell phone/data records would show who he'd been in contact with that morning - this would be a better place to start than to continue tromping around the hillside.

Also, I believe there's a traffic camera somewhere on the way up to the outlook, I think at a stop sign that has another sign that says it's patrolled by camera. No idea if the camera is still there or if it actually works. I might have the wrong location but I'll see if I can find it on street view.

While I feel for the family and their situation, it's disturbing to me that they've given out so much conflicting or incorrect information. They have their own suspicions about what Matthew might have been involved in or might have been going through. That could be relevant to the case - there's no need for them to share this publicly but (1) I hope they share it with LE and (2) I hope no one gets injured during these hillside searches.

Agreed!!!

Says here that dad suspects foul play. If that is the case then why have the search efforts been limited to this area? This means he could be anywhere. Just because his vehicle is there, doesnt mean thats where he is. Especially if foul play is the concern.

According to Matthew's sister, he posted a snapchat "of a valley at the trail". I don't think I've heard that before. Wonder if they've been able to identify where he was standing when he took the photo. She also didn't think he was familiar with hiking in that area.

21-Year-Old Man Still Missing 7 Weeks After Abandoned Vehicle Found in Topanga Area

According to Matthew's sister, he posted a snapchat "of a valley at the trail". I don't think I've heard that before. Wonder if they've been able to identify where he was standing when he took the photo. She also didn't think he was familiar with hiking in that area.

21-Year-Old Man Still Missing 7 Weeks After Abandoned Vehicle Found in Topanga Area

Isnt that strange? Now it is said he was not familiar with this hiking area. That totally goes against the fact that he was believed to frequent this area in other media accounts. Does anyone truly have their facts straight? So much misleading information.

HI- I am Matthews Uncle and would like to help address some of your questions to help clear thing up. Feel free to ask me anything, your help is appreciated.

First- The Valley at the trail referred to in the news article is a snapchat picture of the valley / mountains that was taken from Stunt & Saddle Peak rd., near the entrance of the trail that leads back to Rosas Overlook. Basically the parking lot at the intersection looking out toward the mountains / valley toward the north.

Matthew did frequent that area, but not to hike. He is not a hiker and had never spoke of hiking any trails.

Since the circumstances of his disappearance are so odd, the family has suspicions of foul play. Some of the people he was recently associating with have helped foster that belief.
Law enforcement is still handling this as a MP case.

It is way out of character for Matthew to just disappear. This is also the primary reason we tried focusing search efforts at the hillside , roads, and trails around where the car was found. Basically rule out the possibility he's out in the bush somewhere and move to the next theory- which includes foul play and different search parameters.

The information we have received from the police has changed over time, the case originally being handled by CHP and LA COunty Sheriff. Now turned over to LAPD M.P. division. Our last communication with them indicated they found the car unlocked with the trunk open, no signs of forced entry or vandalism. The x's on the car were put there by the SAR team to indicate the vehicle was searched.

@joeconejo, thank you for your post. As you can see, there are numerous total strangers posting on these threads who very much want to see Matthew return to his loved ones.

You might consider becoming a verified insider if you'll be taking questions from Websleuthers. That process is explained here.

I hope the family has been able to get LAPD to talk to Matthew's recent associates. I know this can be difficult due to various jurisdictions and the sprawling nature of SoCal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13