CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
California man Matthew Weaver Jr. still missing nearly two months after car found abandoned in Malibu canyons

@joeconejo While reading this article I noticed that Dateline was conducting the interview. Are there any plans for Dateline to air an episode on Matthew's disappearance in the near future?
Following is a timeline Dateline created from reports:

Aug.2018: Early in August MW broke up with long term girlfriend. He also moved from Stepmom's home in Simi Valley to an apartment in Granada Hills. See ? at end of this timeline.

Aug. 9th: picked up paycheck from Dad

Aug 10th (just past midnight) Drove to female friend's home, picked her up and partied.

Aug 10 @4:30am (Fri) MW dropped female friend off at her place

Car cell phone records show MW's car traveling toward Malibu Canyon area.

Aug 10th 5:30 or 6 am : MW posted a snapchat video of the view from the trail.

Aug 10 @ 7:12a.m. Surveillance footage shows Matthew's car driving near the gated area. See ? @ end of timeline.

A few hours later, texts were exchanged w/ the girl he'd been partying with earlier.

Aug 10 @ 11:53a.m.MW calls female friend and she texts back to say she's at work and "What's up?"

Aug 10, 11:53a.m. : MW texts " Like some crazy is going onshit going on.
I just to talk while I have the chance."

12:54pm Female friend texts back "Arw you OK?

44:25 PM.: She texts again "Hey are you Ok?"

No further replies from MW. MW's ex girlfriend was on the same phone account so she looked up records.
His earlier text messages to his female friend was the last activity on Michael's phone before it was turned off or the battery died. His last texts were at 11:53am and her last text was @ 4:25pm. See question

Aug. 11th (Sat.) Just past midnight
In the area where surveillance footage captured MW's car, hikers call police to report hearing a male and female calling for help.

Aug 11th, early morning.: MW's car was discovered (while searching for the the people calling for help) " abandoned on the TopangaTowet Motorway near Rosa's Overlook and above the Backbone Trail and Hondo Canyon areas.

Aug 11, 5a.m. MW's father was personally contacted re his son's car as the car was registered in his Dad's name.

Questions: 1) what precipitated MW's move from his home to an an apt.
2). What precipitated his breakup with his longterm girlfriend?
3) Were other cars videotaped in the gated area after MW's car was seen thru Aug.11?
4) were the hikers who called LE past midnight on videotape? Were they still there when LE arrived? If not, have they come forward to be interviewed?
5) Was MW's phone still on when the female texted at 4:25 PM? Or can you receive a text when the phone is shut off? Do we really know when his phone was off or had shut down to battery drainage?

I was curious about the check marks in messages 1:52 & 2:02 and found this below. I was hoping it was consistent in indicating messages were read and so on but apparently not.

What you're seeing are Advanced Messaging icons. Think of it like a delivery confirmation/read receipt on an email, but on your text messages! One check means delivered, two means read. Not every message will show these icons because in order for them to appear, the other person has to also have an Advanced Messaging capable phone, and be on T-Mobile Wifi Calling or 4G LTE with VoLTE enabled. As their coverage passes from one band to another, you might see the icon on some messages but not others. That doesn't mean that they're not being delivered, though.

In rereading the timeline, 11:53a.m.
is huge. First MW tries to telephonically connect with his female friend. When he is unable to, he texts
an ominous message. So, why did he call his friend and not...911 or his stepmom if something was horribly wrong? Was he making things sound ominous on purpose to "punish"
her for not picking up? She didn't respond to that text until an hour later. (Not in anyway blaming her,she was at work!) I don't know. Just throwing out scenrios

Also keep in mind this female friend was someone he recently met.

Also, since his phone was on his ex girlfriends account, I guess It could be possible he had parental controls on his phone without knowing. Such as tracking or possibly every text being read.

In rereading the timeline, 11:53a.m.
is huge. First MW tries to telephonically connect with his female friend. When he is unable to, he texts
an ominous message. So, why did he call his friend and not...911 or his stepmom if something was horribly wrong? Was he making things sound ominous on purpose to "punish"
her for not picking up? She didn't respond to that text until an hour later. (Not in anyway blaming her,she was at work!) I don't know. Just throwing out scenrios

Also keep in mind this female friend was someone he recently met.

Also, since his phone was on his ex girlfriends account, I guess It could be possible he had parental controls on his phone without knowing. Such as tracking or possibly every text being read.

Im pretty sure its near impossible to retrieve another phones text messages regardless if you share an account or not. The only way she could have intercepted his texts is if she secretly installed a spy app to the phone without his knowledge. You would literally have to be psycho to go thru all this trouble. I do believe that the text records must be summoned thru the service provider and im not exactly sure what legalities are required in order to obtain such, if any.

Im pretty sure its near impossible to retrieve another phones text messages regardless if you share an account or not. The only way she could have intercepted his texts is if she secretly installed a spy app to the phone without his knowledge. You would literally have to be psycho to go thru all this trouble. I do believe that the text records must be summoned thru the service provider and im not exactly sure what legalities are required in order to obtain such, if any.

You would still be able to see the numbers dialed and the lengths of the calls. I'm sure that's how they contacted this "friend" and received a copy of the texts.

Did he call any numbers? I know this call and text were the last ones, but before that?

You would still be able to see the numbers dialed and the lengths of the calls. I'm sure that's how they contacted this "friend" and received a copy of the texts.

Did he call any numbers? I know this call and text were the last ones, but before that?

Yes, youre right, limited info would available through the account holders cellular billing records. There should be a usage summary that contains ingoing/outgoing calls and text message history with the recipient phone numbers listed but the actual text message content would not be available.
Im sure theres other communication prior to his last text/call, but it appears that this information has not been made public.

Aug 11, 5a.m. MW's father was personally contacted re his son's car as the car was registered in his Dad's name.

What a horrible thing to wake up to.

If the car hadn't been registered in his father's name, it might have been a couple more days before they realized he was missing/in trouble.

Drama_Farmer: Please see my prior post here regarding the trail where Weaver's car was found: CA - CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 August 2018

To expand on that: I would have thought that even making an attempt to drive (or push) the car down the trail from the point where the trail peels off from the fireroad, (Topanga Tower Motorway) would be past the point of no return. The trail at that point is just barely wide enough for a sedan.

Front bumper of the car: answered here by Joconejo: CA - CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 August 2018

Just coming in on this story late, so forgive me if I am redundant. Actually seeing now exactly where the car was (and with the bumper being ripped off) it would appear that someone may have purposely drove it there as to hide it. Or tried. MW seemingly did not say to the friend that he was stuck. I mean, wouldn't that be the first thing you would do if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere is try to reach out for help? Then there is the report of the damaged latch inside the trunk, so perhaps someone had put him in there and attempted to drive (or push) it over the mountainside? Who in their right mind would try to navigate that with a standard vehicle? We have his car but no Matthew and his scent disappears 100 yards from the car.

Where was the bumper found?

Last edited:
The bumper was found along the way up to his car along with others parts according to a family member.

Just coming in on this story late, so forgive me if I am redundant. Actually seeing now exactly where the car was (and with the bumper being ripped off) it would appear that someone may have purposely drove it there as to hide it. Or tried. MW seemingly did not say to the friend that he was stuck. I mean, wouldn't that be the first thing you would do if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere is try to reach out for help? Then there is the report of the damaged latch inside the trunk, so perhaps someone had put him in there and attempted to drive (or push) it over the mountainside? Who in their right mind would try to navigate that with a standard vehicle? We have his car but no Matthew and his scent disappears 100 feet inside the gate.

Where was the bumper found?

I'm just going off when smart limits by at&t first came out many years ago I could swear you used to be able to read the texts. At&t apparently has a web service that lets you read and send texts online.

I'm just going off when smart limits by at&t first came out many years ago I could swear you used to be able to read the texts. At&t apparently has a web service that lets you read and send texts online.

Not that I can recall.
Ive had At&t for 12 years and I used to be able to see the phone numbers in relation to text messages, but ever since imessage was adopted, the standard sms text messaging became a thing of the past.
Imessaging is considered Data and when in use eliminates standard texting.
Unfortunately, the technology of the smart phone is actually the reason one can no longer see with whom one is texting. Should a phone default to sms text messaging it is typically because imessaging service is unavailable, or the recipient has an older model cell phone that has no smart phone capability. Only then will this information be reflected in the usage history.
As a customer with At&t, the idea of tracking text history has only become more difficult. I actually preferred sms service because I could better monitor my daughters usage. This new technology ruined this advantage completely. Booooo!

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I’ve been lurking on Websleuths for a while now since there have been several crimes happening in my area. I hope my posts follow the Websleuths guidelines. If not, please let me know. I’m a little confused about what I can post. I just want to say how hard I know this must be for matthew weavers family and how sorry I am that they are going through this. I live in the calabasas/Malibu area and there has been a lot of concern in my Nextdoor group about the missing persons cases as well as the shootings that are happening in the same area. There was an update yesterday on The Local Malibu by Cece Woods that I don’t think was mentioned yet. She talks about the key to the gate at the trail and that it has been illegally copied a number of times.

Disturbing Details Emerge in the Disappearance of Matthew Weaver Jr. - The Local Malibu

[QUOTE="Razz,

Questions: 1) what precipitated MW's move from his home to an an apt.
2). What precipitated his breakup with his longterm girlfriend?
3) Were other cars videotaped in the gated area after MW's car was seen thru Aug.11?
4) were the hikers who called LE past midnight on videotape? Were they still there when LE arrived? If not, have they come forward to be interviewed?
5) Was MW's phone still on when the female texted at 4:25 PM? Or can you receive a text when the phone is shut off? Do we really know when his phone was off or had shut down to battery drainage?[/QUOTE]

1. His desire to be closer to work
2. They grew apart
3. No other vehicles
4. That has not been discussed and will ask Investigator. I'm under the impression they were not there or interviewed. Will ask for sure.
5. Need to ask this question as well to be certain, but I believe it it was off. No way to tell if battery died or switched off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal