CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I clicked on joeconejo to see if he definitively said that the areas below MW's car (including bare spaces) had been searched via repellers and I was unable to find that info. Could be I'm not looking in the right places. Would you be able to help me out with that?
TIA

I remember him saying it was. I believe someone asked and he said yes. So you might not find that exactly, only him replying yes.

I clicked on joeconejo to see if he definitively said that the areas below MW's car (including bare spaces) had been searched via repellers and I was unable to find that info. Could be I'm not looking in the right places. Would you be able to help me out with that?
TIA

Joeconejo’s first mention of it is of September 29. I am not at a place that I can tie that quote to my post, I am sorry. I do not know that he specifically states verbatim that SAR repels down right where MW’s vehicle was found...yet he states rescuers on ropes go down mountain looking...nor do I know whether he definitely said the area including those bare spaces, but their looking for their loved one and the family has done many searches on trail & off where MW’s vehicle was found, around where MW’s vehicle was found, etc they are not going to leave any stone unturned.

TIA

We cannot tell if anything was missing from the trunk or not, it was messy but nobody really knows what was in there to begin with. I'm not sure if the spare tire and jack specifically was there or not- I can find out for you if that matters, but I still couldn't tell you with ant certainty it was there beforehand.

Yes, a large area of the cliff side was searched with helicopter, multiple drones, and by individuals with rope down the side. The area is vast and extremely dense. In order to cover all ground it would take hundreds of people with mountaineering skills, gear, and lots of time.

Joeconejo’s first mention of it is of September 29. I am not at a place that I can tie that quote to my post, I am sorry. I do not know that he specifically states verbatim that SAR repels down right where MW’s vehicle was found...yet he states rescuers on ropes go down mountain looking...nor do I know whether he definitely said the area including those bare spaces, but their looking for their loved one and the family has done many searches on trail & off where MW’s vehicle was found, around where MW’s vehicle was found, etc they are not going to leave any stone unturned.

The area below the vehicle has been searched extensively on multiple occasions, all the way to the bottom of the valley.

What is the talk of MW partying? Did he go to a party the night before his disappearance? Is it confirmed?
He was partying with the girl he picked up from approx 1am - 5am, he then dropped her back off at home , this has been confirmed.
However, where they partied that night and exactly what they did has not been confirmed but Rosas Outlook was mentioned as a possibility. Not sure TBH.

Let me get this straight... So what you are implying is that we have left out attainable information regarding Matthew's case?

Really????

In addition, what credentials have you established to respectably make the observation that only 40-50% of the posts on this thread are relevant when what you just posted serves no relevance whatsoever to this case?
No, I did not say 40-50% of the posts are relevant. I said the data contained within the board represents, roughly speaking, less than half of what is or at one time has been attainable data for this case. You think 100% of everything that could be known is known? Then why haven't you solved it? All of our posts confirm this with 1000 questions that remain unanswered. The missing pieces are either known to the police, culprit(s), the new gf, the roommates, any combination, or perhaps it wasn't obtained in time and is thus unattainable. Want an example?

Tracking. In conditions very similar to those of Aug 10th, I've walked (and tracked) the trail from Stunt/Topanga Overlook to Rosas and down to Calabasas Peak rd (then back up). Very few people make this entire trek, and there is ample loose soil perfect for tracking prints. I easily tracked one person's prints from approx 4 days prior, saw he had a hiking pole, was likely left hand dominant, slid on the downhills and at some points on the trail one or more coyotes intersect. In fact, these tracking conditions begin (and sometimes end) right at the location where the car was allegedly stopped.

Car. Do we know anything of the evidence here? Fingerprints on the gear shifter (it was put into park, right?) or seatbelt buckle (last known occupant)? Was there a cell phone charger? I do know that a BMW has no business being on that path, and only someone intent on destroying their car but not sending it over the edge would have driven it. There were plenty of places to send it over the edge before its final parking place. And all along it would have been bottoming out on rocks. I also know the red dot on the map is inaccurate, though the final place place is only about 15' shy of the dot.

Repelling. Yes, there was some repelling done as evidenced from their imprint patterns in the brush. But, oddly, very little to no repelling activity seen (on the east facing slope) further north on the dirt trail (where the car wound up parked). Here the brush is thick and there are delicate plants that would easily topple over if so much as a rope brushed against them. A drone would have a hard time seeing through the brush, as well, given the canopy of foliage.

Cell phone. We know the cell phone was active at/near Rosas overlook, then it stopped forever. We don't know HOW it disconnected from the tower - a valuable clue. For Sprint and T-Mobile, cellular strength (including LTE) is, I found, very strong from Rosas overlook all the way down to Calabasas Peak rd (whereas it is spotty if not inaccessible from Stunt). In addition to looking for someone hurt in the brush, a body, or even tracks, initial searches hopefully also kept eyes peeled for a (turned off) cell phone (possibly chucked from the road, car, overlook).

Tower/Construction surveillance camera. What do we really know? According to the PI/news, the camera(s) indicate MW's car drove northbound on the Topanga Tower Mwy at a time that correlates with the cellular data: number of occupants is unknown. Also, an unknown number of persons walked northbound to Rosas overlook; and, apparently, the same number of people walked southbound back to their cars. Unknown times, what they were wearing or carrying, etc. The issue I have is the microwave tower cameras appear to be very low-quality. I only spotted one, but suspect a second. At most their view covers a sliver of the Topanga Tower Mwy twice just below and to the north of their paved driveway; based on the camera(s) orientation, their primary focus is on internal/property coverage, and the dirt road would thus be on the edge of frame. Even IF the cameras are focused more heavily on the dirt road (used by MW's car), from their position high above that's over a 300 foot shot. No way it's picking up details. Car vs a bicycle, yes. People vs a group of cows, sure it can discern that. Also, at 0715, with the sun low in the east, it's likely MW's car (and the hikers) would have been in shadows.

911 call. What do we know about this? The reports are all over the place. From someone saying the screams included, "He's got a gun!' to, more realistically, a domestic dispute between a man and a woman. Mind you, there are no residences within earshot of Rosas overlook (except for the microwave tower). And it is unknown if the 911 caller was ever identified, interviewed, etc. Much of the disruption to brush I saw - possibly indicative of SAR activity in response to the 911 call - was located near the Topanga overlook and all along the edges, especially the northwest facing side, of Topanga Tower Mtwy (where it's paved and up to just before Rosas overlook). Were the screams from down in that area with thick almost impenetrable brush? That's no-mans land unless someone was catapulted in there. Was a helicopter brought out during the wee hours? Did it have/utilize thermal? What is known about the responding unit's findings? I'm not sanguine a police cruiser would drive down the dirt path to Rosas overlook - it's not safe for anything other than high-clearance vehicles, especially at 0100. A lot about this doesn't make sense. Calling in a helicopter with thermal at 0100 based on a 911 call that was apparently never verified (followed up on) and then finding nothing.

I'm only trying to stir the pot so as to press the issue. My views on this are probably not the same as everyone elses, and I think the truth only springs from everyone challenging one another. Critical in figuring this out is challenging others - the police, associates, etc - to look at this from a variety of perspectives. Why did MW (or his handset) spend SO much time on Saddle Peak Rd southeast of Topanga Overlook? About 35 min... How much searching has gone on here especially along the smaller trails that connect Saddle Peak Rd with Backbone (and it's tributaries)? If one is intent on driving out to Rosas (and destroying a BMW), then why fiddlefk around on Saddle Peak? Looking for what?

No, I did not say 40-50% of the posts are relevant. I said the data contained within the board represents, roughly speaking, less than half of what is or at one time has been attainable data for this case. You think 100% of everything that could be known is known? Then why haven't you solved it? All of our posts confirm this with 1000 questions that remain unanswered. The missing pieces are either known to the police, culprit(s), the new gf, the roommates, any combination, or perhaps it wasn't obtained in time and is thus unattainable. Want an example?

Tracking. In conditions very similar to those of Aug 10th, I've walked (and tracked) the trail from Stunt/Topanga Overlook to Rosas and down to Calabasas Peak rd (then back up). Very few people make this entire trek, and there is ample loose soil perfect for tracking prints. I easily tracked one person's prints from approx 4 days prior, saw he had a hiking pole, was likely left hand dominant, slid on the downhills and at some points on the trail one or more coyotes intersect. In fact, these tracking conditions begin (and sometimes end) right at the location where the car was allegedly stopped.

Car. Do we know anything of the evidence here? Fingerprints on the gear shifter (it was put into park, right?) or seatbelt buckle (last known occupant)? Was there a cell phone charger? I do know that a BMW has no business being on that path, and only someone intent on destroying their car but not sending it over the edge would have driven it. There were plenty of places to send it over the edge before its final parking place. And all along it would have been bottoming out on rocks. I also know the red dot on the map is inaccurate, though the final place place is only about 15' shy of the dot.

Repelling. Yes, there was some repelling done as evidenced from their imprint patterns in the brush. But, oddly, very little to no repelling activity seen (on the east facing slope) further north on the dirt trail (where the car wound up parked). Here the brush is thick and there are delicate plants that would easily topple over if so much as a rope brushed against them. A drone would have a hard time seeing through the brush, as well, given the canopy of foliage.

Cell phone. We know the cell phone was active at/near Rosas overlook, then it stopped forever. We don't know HOW it disconnected from the tower - a valuable clue. For Sprint and T-Mobile, cellular strength (including LTE) is, I found, very strong from Rosas overlook all the way down to Calabasas Peak rd (whereas it is spotty if not inaccessible from Stunt). In addition to looking for someone hurt in the brush, a body, or even tracks, initial searches hopefully also kept eyes peeled for a (turned off) cell phone (possibly chucked from the road, car, overlook).

Tower/Construction surveillance camera. What do we really know? According to the PI/news, the camera(s) indicate MW's car drove northbound on the Topanga Tower Mwy at a time that correlates with the cellular data: number of occupants is unknown. Also, an unknown number of persons walked northbound to Rosas overlook; and, apparently, the same number of people walked southbound back to their cars. Unknown times, what they were wearing or carrying, etc. The issue I have is the microwave tower cameras appear to be very low-quality. I only spotted one, but suspect a second. At most their view covers a sliver of the Topanga Tower Mwy twice just below and to the north of their paved driveway; based on the camera(s) orientation, their primary focus is on internal/property coverage, and the dirt road would thus be on the edge of frame. Even IF the cameras are focused more heavily on the dirt road (used by MW's car), from their position high above that's over a 300 foot shot. No way it's picking up details. Car vs a bicycle, yes. People vs a group of cows, sure it can discern that. Also, at 0715, with the sun low in the east, it's likely MW's car (and the hikers) would have been in shadows.

911 call. What do we know about this? The reports are all over the place. From someone saying the screams included, "He's got a gun!' to, more realistically, a domestic dispute between a man and a woman. Mind you, there are no residences within earshot of Rosas overlook (except for the microwave tower). And it is unknown if the 911 caller was ever identified, interviewed, etc. Much of the disruption to brush I saw - possibly indicative of SAR activity in response to the 911 call - was located near the Topanga overlook and all along the edges, especially the northwest facing side, of Topanga Tower Mtwy (where it's paved and up to just before Rosas overlook). Were the screams from down in that area with thick almost impenetrable brush? That's no-mans land unless someone was catapulted in there. Was a helicopter brought out during the wee hours? Did it have/utilize thermal? What is known about the responding unit's findings? I'm not sanguine a police cruiser would drive down the dirt path to Rosas overlook - it's not safe for anything other than high-clearance vehicles, especially at 0100. A lot about this doesn't make sense. Calling in a helicopter with thermal at 0100 based on a 911 call that was apparently never verified (followed up on) and then finding nothing.

I'm only trying to stir the pot so as to press the issue. My views on this are probably not the same as everyone elses, and I think the truth only springs from everyone challenging one another. Critical in figuring this out is challenging others - the police, associates, etc - to look at this from a variety of perspectives. Why did MW (or his handset) spend SO much time on Saddle Peak Rd southeast of Topanga Overlook? About 35 min... How much searching has gone on here especially along the smaller trails that connect Saddle Peak Rd with Backbone (and it's tributaries)? If one is intent on driving out to Rosas (and destroying a BMW), then why fiddlefk around on Saddle Peak? Looking for what?

I believe Joe said prints on the car were smudged. They did try.

Right, that's what makes it all a mystery. Pieces of the puzzle that we don't have. Don't chastise people for making reasonable speculations. Maybe you're a little too vested personally into it than others want to be or are able. And that's fine. Perhaps your more emotional about what's being said or done, it doesn't afford you the right to govern a thread.

After thinking about this..my opinion on what happened, at least in the morning hours -

Sun is rising. I'm looking for a good view and a spot to get a picture (why I think he was driving around)

I settle on the trailhead lot view - Snapchat (6:24 - 6:57)
Friday! Feels good, just got paid, beautiful day.

Hey, I could get a great view up that road, and oh look, the gates open.
(First Camera 7:15)
From here, it looks paved and drivable, sweet. (and it technically starts out that way).

-Here is where I don't understand the choice made-

Less than halfway up, instead of turning around at the radio relay tower, he goes LEFT at the fork and begins to drive on what is clearly a footpath.

This line on the timeline:
7:28 - Matthew's car reaches end of the trail at the area of Rosas Overlook

Where is this second camera located - at the radio relay tower site?

The Snapchat tells me that morning his mood was good, I can -almost- eliminate a suicide/walk off scenario.

He could have encountered any number of random individuals (including hard drug users) at this place, who may have made an assumption about his BMW.

Id love to see that second camera footage.

Where are u bud..what happened up there?

Attachments

• 8216444C-9071-4627-A20C-E86BF77C0412.png
    8216444C-9071-4627-A20C-E86BF77C0412.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20181019_125232.png
    20181019_125232.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20181019_125113.png
    20181019_125113.png
    642.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20181019-125420.png
    Screenshot_20181019-125420.png
    826.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20181019_090443.jpg
    IMG_20181019_090443.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 94

I'm not quite sure why you feel those of us who have been invested in finding Matthew since the beginning of this case are not asking the right questions. We are! We're just not getting complete answers and that is extremely frustrating....to everyone.

I'd love to be able to hike where MW's car was found and search the areas near there. I'd love to see the car and see it exactly as it was on the edge. I'd like to hike and search through every viable path he could have taken.

I'd love to interview everyone that knew MW, those who roomed with him, the people he partied with that night, the police, the 911 caller.....and the list goes on. And I can't help but think everyone here feels that way.

We ALL want to find Matthew.

I think it's great you can be on the ground there. Maybe you can get some of the answers. We've certainly asked the questions.

Here's a half baked idea but one I think @finao was alluding to.

We need to come up with a very detailed timeline. One that can be put at the beginning of the thread.

When we get answers we need to have someone be able to add to or edit it.
A mod?

I like Joeconejo's timeline but it's not near detailed enough. (Imo).Everything needs to be linked to keep things accurate.

I have a vague idea how it should look and what needs to be included but I'm not especially talented at formatting it on my phone.

If everyone could give pieces of the puzzle w/links to answers, I'd be happy to write it all down and present it to the group for accuracy.

Questions and answers need to be short and to the point. If a timeline gets too long and complicated, I lose interest. So just the facts. It should be an excellent reference page for new people and people who have been here for awhile.

Ideas? Suggestions?

RSBM for focus

I must be missing something (English is not my first language), and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question:

How were you able to determine the prints you observed were approximately four days old?

I am genuinely curious.

ETA: I would also be interested to find out if any shoe prints were found in areas around Matthew’s car, and if so whether there was more than one set.

I would also like to know if any of them came from the shoes Matthew was wearing that day (the red ones that I’ve seen in some of the posters).

One would think LE would know to look for them.

Last edited:
Here's a half baked idea but one I think @finao was alluding to.

We need to come up with a very detailed timeline. One that can be put at the beginning of the thread.

When we get answers we need to have someone be able to add to or edit it.
A mod?

I like Joeconejo's timeline but it's not near detailed enough. (Imo).Everything needs to be linked to keep things accurate.

I have a vague idea how it should look and what needs to be included but I'm not especially talented at formatting it on my phone.

If everyone could give pieces of the puzzle w/links to answers, I'd be happy to write it all down and present it to the group for accuracy.

Questions and answers need to be short and to the point. If a timeline gets too long and complicated, I lose interest. So just the facts. It should be an excellent reference page for new people and people who have been here for awhile.

Ideas? Suggestions?

not a bad idea,
I've just been referencing the map and timeline posted by family on , along with the image of his text messages.
It's really the lack of activity post-snapchat and pre-texts that is so frustrating though.

How were you able to determine the prints you observed were approximately four days old?
There was rain in the area followed by moisture/low clouds for several days between approx 13-15 Oct and extending perhaps into the 16th. One set of tracks - single party - were formed while the ground was still wet, either around 14-16 Oct or by the 17th. It's possible another person/group went through after this person, though if they did they avoided damaging the impressions and in soft areas made no marks. There has been a lot of wind lately, which likewise degrades the tracks. Brush impressions are easier to analyze.

To the point someone else made above about MW possibly just wanting to get a better perspective in the morning.... Correct, once he decided to drive past the paved incline leading up to the right to the tower and instead down the rocky, unmaintained dirt road (to Rosas), the driver of the BMW was basically saying 'f*ck it' to the BMW (it's undercarriage would have been thrashed multiple times). That was a one-way plan. So who walked out? And why did MW's phone/car spend so much time loitering on Saddle Peak Rd southeast of Topanga Overlook (which connects by trail with Backbone, and can also lead to the microwave tower via side trails)?? For a postcard view, then s/he takes a one-way trip down a 4x4 road only to disappear...?

Can we bring those over( timeline and pics) from the page?! It would be so helpful. And I'm happy not to do a timeline! I must have been coming off a sugar high and thinking crazy.

Also, I listened to the first 5 minutes of the press conference (and it started after the 1st person was speaking) and I could not get a sense of the surveillance video. Is there talk of it somewhere else that better clarifies what is on it? TIA

If you are local to the area you may want to contact the PI and/or family and volunteer to help them rather than chastise people posting on a crime board. We all understand that there is a great deal of information that law enforcement, and apparently the PI, have not revealed to the public. In fact, some of us do this professionally. The car, for example, was forensically processed and tested for fingerprints and DNA. I'm confident that LE crime scene techs know how to process a car and check for prints considering they do it everyday. They are not going to release the results of their tests as this is an active investigation. Us posting asking if it was done correctly does nothing to help.

Again, if you think you can help on the ground, I am sure the family and PI would welcome your expert help. You seem to know a lot about the area.

Chastising? @Force Ten and @Alethea - maybe you are unfamiliar with how critical argument is suppose to occur. Chastising? Where.

And if we were to carry-forward your reasoning to every potential clue in the case (and I listed many more than the fingerprints), @Alethea - you said that "asking if it was done correctly does nothing to help" - then we'd pretty much be left with nothing over which to cogitate now would we? If everything was done correctly...

Good luck.

@joeconejo Were any other pictures taken that would have been found in his phone gallery? I understand that the phone is missing but is there a possibility that he set up automatic upload for the pictures to the cloud as so many people do? It's possible he took more pictures that weren't uploaded to Snapchat especially if he for example stopped at Stunt Ranch State Park at the overlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi