CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m conflicted over the “gun shots”.

I would think that LE would see evidence of damage done by errant gun shots in the Millette home when they searched the house. If Mya had been shot in the home, there would have to be blood evidence somewhere. I would surmise that if evidence of either of the two scenarios above were found, we would see an arrest and/or the children removed from the home for safety considerations.

It would also be impossible to hide the noise of gunshots from the children.

Sooo...where does that leave us?

Was Mya shot or did someone shoot at the door multiple times to gain access and then hastily make repairs later? If the gunshots came from inside the home, it would have either woken the children up, or they were awake and witnessed something. That’s a horrible thought either way.

If the shots did not come from within the home and it’s a red herring, we are back to square one kinda.

Could someone be so stupid to shoot another person in their home, clean up, repair, dispose of a body all while 3 children were in the house?

How do you hide that?

MOO
It does seem incomprehensible that you could shoot someone in your residence and effectively remove every trace of that. Waiting to hear more...

Amateur opinion and speculation

I'm still not sold on the gun, there should be signs imo for police to notice. Plus blood. There would be blood. But it all depends on what they used to clean up during those weeks before proper search (did they use luminol?)
But the patched up door should have sent red flags to the crime unit that came out on the first few days.
I always thought she was hurt without blood loss due to no arrest, but with the gun shot sounds, I'm really torn.

I just hope the kids are looked after by grandparents properly.

Now school is back there, isn't it? I hope they're allowed to go and not kept at home.
All JMO

I'm still not sold on the gun, there should be signs imo for police to notice. Plus blood. There would be blood. But it all depends on what they used to clean up during those weeks before proper search (did they use luminol?)
But the patched up door should have sent red flags to the crime unit that came out on the first few days.
I always thought she was hurt without blood loss due to no arrest, but with the gun shot sounds, I'm really torn.

I just hope the kids are looked after by grandparents properly.

Now school is back there, isn't it? I hope they're allowed to go and not kept at home.
All JMO

That interview made me uncomfortable. This is not a normal situation, why is his main focus try to make it normal for the kids? They need to understand and be able to cope with the reality of a parent who has disappeared followed by a huge search in relation to that. Especially now that they're not allowed to communicate with their extended family, of which they clearly had relationships with, it will be very confusing and difficult for them. Maybe they even want to be out their at the weekends and at the farmers markets. Children, especially the two older ones need to be able to express their grief, confusion, anger, etc. They shouldn't be put in the position of having to think that going about their normal day will minimize any lasting impact this has done and will do for them; if anything, LM's behavior is just making it worse.

I also noticed how hard it seemed for him to come up with words to describe what he loves about her.

“If” it was gunshots, I wonder if the first series of shots was trying to get through the door, and that final shot, I keep thinking kill shot, was the only one that hit Maya. If that was the case, there may not be that much blood. Hate to type that out but I can’t get that “shot pattern” out of my head. Plus to me it sounds like the “shots” move in the house, so maybe from the hallway into her room?

All MOO and pure speculation...

Can anyone tell me if it was the door or drywall that had the repair?

If the speculation that there was a shooting in that home is correct, I speculate the Perp would be charged with Voluntary Manslaughter on the crime of passion angle. They could potentially be charged with desecration of human corpse as well.

I’ve never charged a 192 by itself unless it was vehicular. Otherwise, you always charge murder 1 or 2 in California, and then can plea out to a lesser included, or the jury can convict of the manslaughter if it goes to trial.

Also, felony sentencing in California is complicated. If he were convicted of both felonies, for example, he would not serve the sum of both. There is a triad on each felony, what we call low term, mid term, and high term. A judge does the sentencing in California, so she judge will choose the term, often based on a number of factors, to include prior criminal history, which I don’t believe LM has (that we know of at least). Any subsequent convicted count would receive 1/3 the mid term in addition to the controlling term.

example: Joe Blow receives convictions on four counts. They each have a triad of 3, 5, or 7 years. Joe can ONLY be sentenced (at a maximum) to 7 + (1/3) of 5 + (1/3) of 5 + (1/3) of 5 = 12 years.

Hope that makes sense. It’s a confusing process.

I’ve never charged a 192 by itself unless it was vehicular. Otherwise, you always charge murder 1 or 2 in California, and then can plea out to a lesser included, or the jury can convict of the manslaughter if it goes to trial.

Also, felony sentencing in California is complicated. If he were convicted of both felonies, for example, he would not serve the sum of both. There is a triad on each felony, what we call low term, mid term, and high term. A judge does the sentencing in California, so she judge will choose the term, often based on a number of factors, to include prior criminal history, which I don’t believe LM has (that we know of at least). Any subsequent convicted count would receive 1/3 the mid term in addition to the controlling term.

example: Joe Blow receives convictions on four counts. They each have a triad of 3, 5, or 7 years. Joe can ONLY be sentenced (at a maximum) to 7 + (1/3) of 5 + (1/3) of 5 + (1/3) of 5 = 12 years.

Hope that makes sense. It’s a confusing process.
Thank you, this is useful and fascinating.
I didn't know the Judge had so much discretionary power in sentencing. I had the notion that there was a playbook with points of some sort, and not subject to much interpretation. This is interesting...

What I was trying to get to, was suggesting that the Perp wouldn't be convicted for first degree (unless it is proven premeditated/special circumstances....or whatever the correct terminology is). My speculation is that his defense will posture this as a crime of passion. Given the little we do know (so far), it would see plausible?

Thank you

Last edited:
Both, I believe PaulaDC. To me it sounded like the key area/lock, and then a patch in the drywall next to the door (?), how I pictured it was if you were going to break through the dry wall so you could unlock the door from inside?

I know I’m paraphrasing horribly, but this is my recollection and take away. I’ve only listened once though.
MOO, unreliable memory

BL described the hole going through the door, same height as the doorknob. He also mentioned a hole on one of the walls, within the bedroom. Same type of repair, but a proper height to which somebody would've punched a hole.

BL went to the house 4 days later after MM was missing, which would be the following tuesday. BL described it as freshly painted and still damp. Yet, the brother went to the house the previous friday, father and sister on saturday (night she was reported missing), and didnt notice any repaired hole or patching? 4 days later and the paint is still damp? doesnt make sense.

MOO. amateur speculation.

Yet, the brother went to the house the previous friday, father and sister on saturday (night she was reported missing), and didnt notice any repaired hole or patching? 4 days later and the paint is still damp? doesnt make sense.

In an interview I listened to, someone said the brother did notice the hole in the door.

BL described the hole going through the door, same height as the doorknob. He also mentioned a hole on one of the walls, within the bedroom. Same type of repair, but a proper height to which somebody would've punched a hole.

BL went to the house 4 days later after MM was missing, which would be the following tuesday. BL described it as freshly painted and still damp. Yet, the brother went to the house the previous friday, father and sister on saturday (night she was reported missing), and didnt notice any repaired hole or patching? 4 days later and the paint is still damp? doesnt make sense.

Thank you! I knew I’d have it wrong. I just remembered there was a patched hole in the wall and forgot where it was apparently. Sorry for the confusion.

The confirmation of the search at Uncle and Aunt. Lots of rifles and other evidence taken.

Also shows a very blurry picture from the night security video of the white car seen in the middle of the night at Maya's home. Uncle has a white car but this picture it's a unidentifiable white blob.
I hope LE got better pics/video from the night from other cameras.

”What do you love about Maya?” Alford asked the husband.

“Oh, I love everything about her. She's very smart, kind. Basically, just her, herself, her personality. Just everything,” Larry Millete responded.

“How are your kids taking this?” asked Alford.

“That’s my main focus. That's why I am very thankful for my sister-in-law, Maricris, because she's handling all this media attention. She’s actually doing everything that I should be doing, you know, out there. But at the same time, I'm just making sure, you know, it's as normal, like a normal day for them,” said the husband.

“I try to minimize the impact that it has on them but, although even though I'm trying to that, I notice they know what's going on,” said Millete during Alford’s eight-minute conversation.

The veteran reporter had heard Millete did not attend the vigil for privacy reasons, but she wanted to confirm that info.

“You just didn’t come, what, for privacy reasons?” asked Alford.

“Yes ma’am,” Larry replied. “I’m not that person to, basically, go out there.”
What's the latest on Maya Millete? | cbs8.com

I don't really pay much attention to this. Those kinds of questions have always been difficult for me to come up with answers for.

I agree,@jenn83, it can be very difficult to verbalize feelings about why one loves someone. Some emotions are ineffable.

When I listened to the interview with LM, I didn't interpret his words, nor his tone, as being in any way proof that he was unperturbed by his wife's disappearance, let alone the cause of it.

I'm reminded of Meursault, the character in The Outsider, by Albert Camus, who, although he killed a man, was condemned largely because he hadn't reacted to his mother's death in a way society deemed a person should. He didn't cry at her funeral.

It's easy to understand why so many consider LM orchestrated or committed a crime against Maya because of the list of "facts" to support the theory:

- partners are often the victim's killer
- the activity involving the freezer
- cars coming and going in the night
- reported capture of gunshot sounds allegedly originating from their shared home
- the timing of her disappearance on the day she contacts a divorce lawyer
- children playing outside late at night
- LM ending communication with Maya's family
- not participating in searches for her; patched-up holes in a door/wall
- his perceived apathetic demeanour

In spite of the above – and other details I've likely omitted because I really don't know all the reasons the public appears to have condemned LM – I'm not convinced he is guilty.

If he is innocent, I can't imagine the agony he is experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crainkd