Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 23, 2023

LIVE BLOG -- DAY 8 PRELIM HEARING

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) – The preliminary hearing for Larry Millete, who is accused in the death of his wife Maya, resumed Monday, and it could potentially conclude the following day.

May "Maya" Millete, 39, has not been seen or heard from since Jan. 7, 2021. Though her body has not been found, prosecutors allege her husband, 41-year-old Larry Millete, killed her because she sought to divorce him. Larry Millete stated in a separate court declaration that he believed his wife left the family home voluntarily.

Over the course of Larry Millete’s preliminary hearing, which began Jan. 11, numerous members of Maya’s family have testified about what they knew of the couple’s marital problems and the last time they had any contact her.

Chula Vista Police Department members who have been part of the investigation into Maya’s disappearance have also taken the stand to speak on evidence gathered as part of the search for the mother of three.

According to testimony Friday from Chula Vista Police Det. Jesse Vicente, he and other police officers reviewed surveillance footage from the neighborhood surrounding the Millete home from the afternoon of Jan. 7 until Jan. 10, the day police responded to a missing person report made by May's sister.

Vicente said footage captures May arriving at the home at around 3 p.m. Jan. 7, but she is never seen leaving the home afterward.

The footage captured a person police believe is Larry Millete backing a black SUV toward the home's garage at around 6 a.m. Jan. 8. The SUV leaves the home at around 6:45 a.m. Jan. 8 and returns at around 6 p.m. that evening.

After family members lost touch with May, her younger brother, Jay-R Tabalanza, went to the Millete house on the evening of Jan. 8 to look for her. He testified last week that Larry told him he had just gotten home from work.

According to court documents filed by the prosecution, Larry Millete did not go to work from Jan. 6 through Jan. 8.

The documents also state Larry's phone was off from 6:45 a.m. until around 6:30 p.m. Jan. 8 and that Larry told investigators he was at Solana Beach all day with his son.

On Jan. 8 and Jan. 9, several members of May's family visited the Chula Vista home to search for her. Larry told Jay-R Tabalanza and May's father, Pablito Tabalanza that May was in an upstairs bedroom, which was locked. Pablito Tabalanza testified that Larry eventually let him into the bedroom and May was not there.

Larry later told family members that she was likely out hiking, according to testimony.

On cross-examination, Millete's defense attorney, Bonita Martinez, asked Vicente directly if he believed Larry murdered May, to which he responded, "Yes."

Vicente also testified that he did not believe May "disappeared mysteriously."

When asked to elaborate, he said, "I have no proof of life for May, if she were to leave the house. I spoke to numerous witnesses who had told me that this is not something that she would do. I have no evidence indicating that May was preparing to get away and flee from her family. I do know that Larry and her had an argument that evening of Jan. 7, is what he told me, and he was the last one to see her. So, based on that and the facts that we've gathered throughout this investigation, I believe he's responsible for her disappearance."

Preliminary hearing testimony indicates the marriage was crumbling in 2020, prompting Larry to reach out to several of May's family members and urge them to convince May to remain in the marriage.

Throughout 2020, May told family members, friends, and colleagues that Larry had been engaging in controlling behavior, including regularly monitoring her communications, attempting to track her whereabouts, and wresting control of her finances, according to testimony.

Prosecutors have also alleged in court documents that in late 2020, Larry Millete reached out to "various individuals who appear to sell spells,’” which he believed could compel May to want to remain in the marriage. Larry later allegedly sought spells that could render her incapacitated or "hurt enough that she will have to depend on me and need my help."

Several books on magic spells were found during a police search of the Millete home, including one titled "Magical Love Spells," according to a photograph shown in court.

On Friday, Chula Vista police Detective Lorenzo Ruiz testified about internet searches discovered on Larry and May's personal computers.

One search made from Larry's computer was for "subliminal wife training," Ruiz testified. Prior preliminary hearing testimony indicated May discovered a cell phone hidden beneath her bed that was "playing subliminal messages," which Larry explained to his sister-in-law involved recorded hidden messages such as "I love you" or "Love me" that could be played amidst white noise.

Larry was arrested in October 2021 on suspicion of killing May and has remained jailed without bail since then.

At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, a judge will rule whether there is enough evidence for Larry Millete to stand trial for murder.

Tuesday, January 24th:
*Preliminary Hearing continues (Day 9) (@ 9am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 41) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) with murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
*Larry Millete (39/now 41) regarding gun violence restraining order on possession of guns (1/7/21) <<temporary GVRO in place against Millete was dissolved 12/1/21.
Guardianship Case: Family Court -Trial in June, 2023 (no specific date).

Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 1/20/23 reference post #508 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-26

1/23/23 Update: Day 8: State witnesses: Chula Vista Police Detective Jesse Vicente. DA Investigator Matthew Grindley. Chula Vista Police Dept. Detective Lorenzo Ruiz on cross examination.
for more info see post #521 (& article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-27
Preliminary hearing continues on Tuesday, 1/24/23.

Found the Hearing video of DA Investigator Matthew Grindley on the stand reporting the technological discoveries he made from their phones, computers, etc., I found his testimony most interesting in getting a feel for what was really going on within the marriage. At the 51:21 minute mark Grindley takes the stand.

Day 8 January 23, 2023 Afternoon

Matthew Grindley, San Diego DA Investigator is back on the witness stand today. In my opinion, Grindley is doing an excellent job showing LM's guilt based on digital evidence analysis. Grindley's direct testimony which began yesterday, continued today. He was also cross examined today by LM's defense attorney.

Noteworthy, to me, was that LM's own defense attorney asked Grindley questions that resulted in answers particularly damaging to Larry. It appears, LM's lawyer has a way of shooting herself in the foot. in my opinion only.

Matthew Grindley, San Diego DA Investigator is back on the witness stand today. In my opinion, Grindley is doing an excellent job showing LM's guilt based on digital evidence analysis. Grindley's direct testimony which began yesterday, continued today. He was also cross examined today by LM's defense attorney....
Glad you mentioned that. I got a late start this morning, and will be sure to look for a video of Investigator Grindley's analysis. Sounds like Larry's defense attorney continued to help emphasize his guilt.

1674589603927.png On the stand now is Peter Villaver, a cell phone analyst expert. Lunch now-- back at 1:30.

Day 9 morning session of preliminary hearing for Larry Millete

On day 9 of the PH, still no testimony about any forensic evidence (i.e., DNA, blood, knife, casings, gunshot residue, etc.) that Maya was murdered inside the residence, correct?

Confirming the testimony FBI analysis of recorded "bangs" could not differentiate these sounds as gunshots.

Other than testimony that Larry backed the Lexus to the garage to load tangerine cups and Capri drink prior to leaving for the beach with his son in the early morning hours, that's it?

Just want to be sure I didn't miss something. TIA.

On day 9 of the PH, still no testimony about any forensic evidence (i.e., DNA, blood, knife, casings, gunshot residue, etc.) that Maya was murdered inside the residence, correct?

Confirming the testimony FBI analysis of recorded "bangs" could not differentiate these sounds as gunshots.

Other than testimony that Larry backed the Lexus to the garage to load tangerine cups and Capri drink prior to leaving for the beach with his son in the early morning hours, that's it?

Trail mix.

Blood on the bathroom ceiling and in the shower, as I recall it.

We've heard nothing about the Lexus.

Looking like they are pairing Larry's means and motive with May's absolute radio silence to draw The Big Inference.

One wonders if he had help on clean up.

JMO

You are correct there has been no forensic evidence re DNA, blood, gun residue and so forth Inside the residence. Although I believe LM is guilty and the case will go to trial, I don’t know if prosector has enough evidence for LM to be convicted of a murder charge. Unless there is more testimony to come related to the above stated forensics. Imo

Trail mix.

Looking like they are pairing Larry's means and motive with May's absolute radio silence to draw The Big Inference.

JMO
Was it not determined that the blood in the washroom was not that of MM’s? Does anyone know definitively?

Trail mix.

JMO

Thanks, @Megnut .

I did hear in Day 8 testimony that the Lexus is still in police custody/impound but nothing about any forensic testing of this vehicle -- or any vehicle for that matter.

I believe Larry drove the Lexus to the beach.

I'm assuming the blood spots in the bathroom were just that -- they tested proof positive for human blood but still no forensic testimony of who the blood belonged to.

I'm not recalling any testimony there was evidence of any cleanup (i.e., no residual left behind).

The absence of any forensic evidence testimony is troubling to me.

It causes me to believe that in the days LE had custody of the residence and the vehicles, investigators did not find anything of forensic value to present to the court.

You are correct there has been no forensic evidence re DNA, blood, gun residue and so forth Inside the residence. Although I believe LM is guilty and the case will go to trial, I don’t know if prosector has enough evidence for LM to be convicted of a murder charge. Unless there is more testimony to come related to the above stated forensics. Imo

Based on what's been presented thus far, I think it most likely that Maya was strangled/smothered inside the residence but they had no reliable hits from the cadaver dogs for the court. (Similar to Suzanne Morphew). MOO

I, too, believe he strangled / smothered her, or broke her neck. I don't know what those gun shot noises were about. She was so petite. What did he do with her body? (My mention of a freezer is not forgotten.) Well, he's reeking of guilt even without any forensic evidence, but without a body and no forensics that is very worrisome. Praying there's a leak from someone in his circle. Praying they find Maya. Praying for Divine Intervention.

I, too, believe he strangled / smothered her, or broke her neck. I don't know what those gun shot noises were about. She was so petite. What did he do with her body? (My mention of a freezer is not forgotten.) Well, he's reeking of guilt even without any forensic evidence, but without a body and no forensics that is very worrisome. Praying there's a leak from someone in his circle. Praying they find Maya. Praying for Divine Intervention.
Wasn’t there info given about a freezer removed from the Millete residence by LM’s family member in one of the first couple of threads? Or am I getting the info mixed up with another case?

IMO, both the freezer and the alleged gunshots were distractions to this case by two publicity-seeking pros that attached themselves to this case for their own gain. The proof is in what will become the state's admissible evidence. MOO

Wasn’t there info given about a freezer removed from the Millete residence by LM’s family member in one of the first couple of threads? Or am I getting the info mixed up with another case?

There was testimony that to appease Maya, Larry asked his parents to move out of the house (prior to Maya missing).

If the freezer came up during the preliminary hearing, I missed it!

I believe the freezer belonged to the parents and knowing they were moving out of the residence, they promised it to another party that later came and collected the freezer from the garage.

MOO

ETA: I think Larry's parents briefly moved to TX but returned after Maya was gone.

Last edited:
Since the beginning of this case, I've been obsessed with the idea of a freezer. (I mentioned it at least 20 times on here) Then, a freezer was reported moved from the house by Larry's Uncle. Nothing became of LE finding it, but that doesn't mean Maya's body couldn't have been placed in a freezer at some location.

I'm local and I'm sure Larry would've known about this other case being from the area. Another case from here in San Diego county was the Elizabeth Sullivan case. Her husband was in the Navy when she disappeared. She had just spoken to a divorce attorney that day or week. They had two little girls. Husband tried to say she ran off, same type of stuff Larry tried. Husband got a new woman. Before he moved out of state, he must've dumped Elizabeth's remains in the bay-- she was most likely in a freezer for two years!

LE missed so much bloody evidence in their old home, but found it when the body showed up in the bay. Husband went to trial and got convicted. He's only doing about 16 yrs. though.

I think this case will be tried by implication/inference. The totality of the evidence. I hope there'll be testimony from an expert on the cycle of violence.

Based on May's cellphone activity, there's an obvious break in her normal usage -- and no use following.

The children, playing outside. Odd.

It is my belief that he sent the children outside so he could move May's body to the garage, where IMO he hid her, temporarily.

Later moving her to the Lexus.

I wonder how many coolers the family had. Regular campers, they probably had many. Many sizes. Did he load up a Yeti, for his day trip to the cold, grey, foggy beach? You know, with fruit cups.

I suspect that the Millete family is down one cooler.

JMO

I think this case will be tried by implication/inference. The totality of the evidence. I hope there'll be testimony from an expert on the cycle of violence.

Based on May's cellphone activity, there's an obvious break in her normal usage -- and no use following.

The children, playing outside. Odd.

It is my belief that he sent the children outside so he could move May's body to the garage, where IMO he hid her, temporarily.

Later moving her to the Lexus.

I wonder how many coolers the family had. Regular campers, they probably had many. Many sizes. Did he load up a Yeti, for his day trip to the cold, grey, foggy beach? You know, with fruit cups.

I suspect that the Millete family is down one cooler.

JMO
DBM - duplicate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics