CA CA - Michael Negrete, 18, Los Angeles, 10 Dec 1999

Originally Posted by deca
I wonder why they are investigating this as a homicide and if they have any leads? It was always portrayed to the public as if he vanished into thin air.

This is a good question. I wonder if the LAPD have more information on this case than they have released. I wonder if they have a drug angle and/or more information about the man in the sketch that they haven't revealed. If that post by SteveTheSoundGuy is true, and he really is Mike's brother, then the LAPD and must have more information about drug use and a possible connection to his death; i think that could be a reason to put this case under the homicide department.

This is from the Daily Bruin (July, 2000)http://dailybruin.com/2000/06/07/sheriff-sends-questionnaires-t/:
"Because the Sheriff’s Department does not have a missing persons
bureau, UCPD handed the case over to homicide detectives in May,
but police were quick to point out this does not mean they believe
Michael is dead."

:thinking:
BUT,

This was taken from the Charley Project (2004, last updated 2011):http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/negrete_michael.html
"Authorities are investigating this as a homicide."

Thank you, dotr, for that oudraft from the LA times. That was actually to a lot of help, because here we could read that the possibility of an accident at the construction site had been considered, wherefore consequently also every construction site were searched through, but without anything being found.
:/

It's possible that by the time the search started, his body was already hidden under concrete, under rubble or in a place where it's very hard to spot. The great majority of people who go missing are found unharmed within a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if LE doesn't consider most cases to be urgent unless it's a child, someone with a disability or there are reasons to believe that there was foul play. In fact, I remember reading an article where Mike's mother say that her first reaction was to get angry. She thought he had decided to go somewhere without telling his parents. It's very likely that the search didn't take place until a few days later. There is a lot of evidence that can get lost after a few days, including his body.

Michael apparently had an aversion to bare feet, yet went missing without his shoes- was he teased about that and his shoes forcibly removed as a joke, causing him to run away in any crazy direction?
imo, speculation.
MN's dorm room.
http://www.abuagella.com/10-people-who-vanished-into-thin-air/
attachment.php

At 4:00 AM on December 10, 1999, an 18-year-old UCLA freshman named Michael Negrete logged off his computer after playing video games with his friends all night. At 9:00 AM, Michael’s roommate woke up and noticed that he was gone, but had left behind all his possessions, including his keys and wallet. He was never seen again.

The most curious aspect of Michael’s disappearance is that his shoes were also left behind. Investigators used search dogs to track Michael’s scent to a bus stop which was a couple miles away from campus, but would he really have walked that far without any shoes on? The only potential lead is an unidentified man who was seen in Dykstra Hall around 4:35 AM that morning, but no one knows if he has any connection with Michael’s disappearance. There’s nothing in Michael’s background to suggest he might have disappeared willingly, so the trail on him has remained completely cold for over a decade.

Attachments

• Empty-Dorm-Room-e1374692658461.jpg
    Empty-Dorm-Room-e1374692658461.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 136
That is not Michael's dorm room. At least, I'm pretty sure it's not. It's just a stock photo from that article. Just like the photo above the Maura Murray blurb on that page isn't really of her.

That is not Michael's dorm room. At least, I'm pretty sure it's not. It's just a stock photo from that article. Just like the photo above the Maura Murray blurb on that page isn't really of her.

Thanks for the heads up on the pic.
So where is Michael?? One would expect that he or his body would turn up somewhere by now, wonder if he is one of the many people located yet to be identified?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4022dmca.html
Case File 4022DMCA
MWNegrete.jpg
MWNegrete1.jpg
MWNegrete2.jpg

Michael William Negrete
Missing since December 10, 1999 from Los Angeles, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: March 25, 1981
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Brown/black, crew cut hair; brown eyes.
  • Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, khaki shorts, white canvas sneakers.

He is thought to have left between 04:00am and 09:00am. All his personal belongings were left in his room.
Search canines tracked his scent to Sunset and Bellagio Street in California.
rbbm.
https://www.videoblocks.com/video/hollywood-sunset-strip-night-timelapse-looking-down-sunset-blvd-in-hollywood-california-late-at-night-with-the-words-the-sunset-featured-shot-in-time-lapse-billboard-lights-turn-off-egsi4zr/
[h=1]Hollywood Sunset Strip Night Timelapse. Looking down Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, California late at night with the words "The Sunset" featured. Shot in time lapse. Billboard lights turn off.[/h]

Thanks for the heads up on the pic.
So where is Michael?? One would expect that he or his body would turn up somewhere by now, wonder if he is one of the many people located yet to be identified?

His DNA is listed as available on Namus. I imagine that it's available in CODIS as well. If his body had been found, there would have been a hit in the system. I think that his body is still out there.

The more i think about Michael's case the more it stands out to me that he apparently went to 'congratulate' the friend he was playing video games with. At 4 in the morning why would he go to another dorm room just to say well done to someone? Wouldn't you just send an email or even a message through the online game to say congratulations, good night, and then go to bed? Even if the friend was like 2 doors down on the same floor it still seems unlikely to me that at that time of night you would need to specifically get up, leave your dorm room, and go to another room just to say 'well done good game'.

If you were on your way to do something else in the dorm though at the same time, and you passed your friends room on the way there it would make sense that he'd stop in and congratulate them.

I don't know anything about how dorm/university life works. What's the situation with food/grocery shopping etc? If Michael Negrete had ran out of milk, coffee, cigarettes, or something like that, how far would he need to go to get some? Is there somewhere within the building where you can get basic supplies, or do you need to leave campus completely to get top ups from an actual store?

I personally believe Michael was not influenced by drugs at the time of his disappearence he was playing a video game surely he would have concentrated on that, someone on drugs would be too high to play video games and also would be too high to go out of his way and congratulate his competitor. I do wonder if the person he congratulated see if he was under the influence of drugs or not i wonder in what state he was when he congratulated this fella. I also dont really buy the whole " he fell under a construction building" it could be a possibility but why did he leave early hours in the morning without his wallet and shoes to begin with? wasnt there a cctv camera showing MN leaving his dorm? and a dog trail of his scent tracing all the way to a bus stop? his sceant being traced to a bus stop which is around 16 minutes from UCLA gets me the most. And the fact he left all his possession and thats including his shoes stand out for me. Maybe he was meeting up with someone via the computer he was playing at. Why didnt the police do a follow up on that, could have been a major clue to his disappearence. There was also a white male seen at the campus in the early hours and yet no police follow up on that. So many speculations and guesses but all to no avail. Hope one day his case will be solved and his family be at peace.

Also, the bit of information we do have doesn't seem to be solidified or agreed upon in any aspect. For instance in more than several reports (and small articles covering it on 'people who vanished' lists) i have read it says that Michael Negrete left his room in the dorm to congratulate the video game opponent and went back INTO his room never to be seen again. Yet on long threads such as this discussing it, pretty much everyone seems to be working from the angle that he left the dorm room completely and never went back inside. So which is it?

Unfortunately this is one of those minute details that I don't think people would remember correctly. I am guessing the guy in the other room vouched that he congratulated him, left his room and then they had computer activity show that he returned to his own room before then leaving again and disappearing.

It's an important detail because if he returned to his own room, and someone contacted him to meet at that instant, it would have to be someone familiar or somewhat known to him. It seems like that is what happened. If he didn't go back to his own room and left the building, something motivated him to leave on his own... to go to another dorm, as nothing else fits. The other conclusion is that the student he "congratulated" was involved.

If he left his dorm ROOM, congratulated his opponent and then turned around and went back into the room only to disappear then surely his dorm/room mate would know more?

This was at 4am-ish. His roommate was most likely fast asleep. He reportedly woke up at 9am and Michael wasn't there. I do find a lot of things strange with this case, but I do think it is possible that the roommate didn't hear anything, especially if he had gotten used to Mike staying up late.

Why would he just suddenly be going to buy drugs at 4am after a long night of playing video games? Doesn't make sense. Why didn't he go to bed at that time of the morning when he was tired? It had to have been some kind of 'lure' that got him to leave the dorm building at that time when he most likely was about to go to bed. I wonder have any of the 'authority figures' of the UCLA ever been questioned? Professors, lecturers, teachers etc? To me it seems there would only be a few possibilities that would get you to leave the dorm at that time, even briefly, such as an authority figure, or a girl/love interest.

You're assuming he would use the drugs immediately. If he was trying to hide the purchase, 4am would be a perfect time especially if he is usually up at the time. It could have also been the plan for foul play the entire time, sort of a crime of opportunity. Love interest, particularly with another man, has come up, and I think it's a real possibility. He wouldn't be hiding a girl. Faculty/authority is tough. It could be, but any case of wrongdoing would be built on he said/she said since there wouldn't likely be proof. While it is not really professional for faculty to date students in most cases, it really isn't something of consequence unless there was harassment, or the faculty member was his TA or professor.

I think too much emphasis is placed on him not taking his keys. He could have just been tired/stressed/weary and forgotten his keys, but then again the fact he didn't take proper shoes, or anything really, suggests he was only planning a short stop anyway. I don't really put much into the construction accident thing either. I mean if he forgot the keys i can't see him being the type of person that would attempt to dangerously climb some construction site in the dark in the middle of the night. How many people do that unless they are stupidly drunk/intoxicated? He couldn't have been that drunk from partying if he was able to concentrate on video game battles for hours. There would have been a way he could back in without the keys even if it meant disturbing another student/security or something. I just see that as a much more likely thing for him to attempt than climbing all over heavy construction to get through a window back in or something.

I think most everyone agrees that he wasn't planning on being gone long. I have to discard the notion of Michael not being a risk taker though, because of his supposed experimentation with drugs, and the fact that he left the dorm at 4am. That's not something most people do alone. I've always envisioned the construction site being a hole for the foundation of DeNeve Plaza rather than scaffolding etc. I was always told that if you forget your keys, you ain't getting in, even if the staff knows you... but one would also believe that he would at least try and someone should have noted that. He could have tried to go through a site to access a side door that he knew might be unlocked because it was difficult to access. When I worked at the pools at UCLA, people hopped fences all the time. One night was particularly tragic. A guy was drunk, fell into the pool underneath the pool cover and drowned. He was too drunk to get out and his friends were too drunk to help.

But thinking about this theory, it's weird that he would have to go through all that trouble to get in... when some strange man was able to just waltz into the building without a problem. Of course, in the past year or so I have started believing that the strange man doesn't exist.

Imo, there has to have been another student possibly in another building involved or someone that messaged him before he turned off the computer, beeped him on a pager etc to quickly come and do/get something for/from them that he viewed as being too important to wait until the morning, and something happened either on his way there or once he got there (he was introduced to someone in a car etc)

If not the construction theory, this is what I am thinking. The police used strange wording in the Daily Bruin about Mike leaving. They said that they are positive they have *several* witnesses that saw Michael walking out of the building by himself. It was worded such that it was clear that they knew that was the case, not just "there must be someone who saw him", they know have people that saw him. I believe that someone in the dorms knows what happened... whether it's Dykstra or one of the others I don't know. If it's not construction, I am thinking it must have been some crime of opportunity, or an accident and then a disposal of the body. This would be truly sociopathic though. I wonder if police have run criminal background checks of everyone that lived on the Hill at the time *since* 1999. I'd think if it was homicide, it would happen again.

Back to construction. I am alumni now, so it's a bit harder to use the library, but I still intend to do research on the state of the construction. It is a theory I've had as I know there was construction right outside Dykstra Hall, but I don't know what state it was at. Looking through old Schedule of Classes books that contain campus maps in 1999 show the old Dykstra configuration. UCLA maps sometimes show construction zones so people know what is being built. In 2000, they showed the modern configuration... no "in between." I am hoping to find pictures, maps, or something that shows what state construction was at in December 1999 to rule it out. It's one of those things that doesn't make sense (dogs didn't hit), but also seems to be the only basic thing that makes sense (forgot key and tried to get inside a different way).

If indeed MN was in some sort of an accident due to construction near the school, and that info. was covered up, one might wonder if organized crime were involved in the construction business in that area? fwiw, speculation.

Bumping as a reminder that MN was thought to be missing between the hours of 4-9 AM. and that dogs tracked his scent to Sunset and Bellagio Street .

On the tracking, he might have made that walk much earlier in the day, or days earlier, and that's what they were picking up on. Either that or something with his scent (and not necessarily) him traveled to that bus stop.

On the tracking, he might have made that walk much earlier in the day, or days earlier, and that's what they were picking up on. Either that or something with his scent (and not necessarily) him traveled to that bus stop.

Maybe somebody with Michael's items went there, leaving the scent that the dogs tracked?

Yes. Someone had a piece of his clothing? Someone was wearing his shoes? Or the trail was his but irrelevant as it was not from that day...

Also...I remember college and being up til the wee hours. But 4 am is LATE to be traipsing up to Sunset from Dykstra unless you're under the influence (and it doesn't seem like a big deal in your drunken state).... But that flies in the face of him gaming at all coherently up until that time...

But thinking about this theory, it's weird that he would have to go through all that trouble to get in... when some strange man was able to just waltz into the building without a problem. Of course, in the past year or so I have started believing that the strange man doesn't exist.

I feel the same way about this 'strange man'. Seems like a red herring. The way he was described was very particular - "a shiny gray jacket with a turquoise design". Sounds like some kind of sports coach jacket or something. And why the description of the very distinctive jacket but then no other useful details about him?

Been a while since anybody posted on this case. A man on youtube describes being an EMT on the California coast in the year of 2000 and met a young man who introduced himself as Mike, seemingly living on the streets from what I gather. He posted this comment because I think the clothing basically matched Michael Negrete's, as well as his general physical description. I believe he was playing the blues or jazz on a brass instrument of some kind. I'm sorry if this doesn't help.

Been a while since anybody posted on this case. A man on youtube describes being an EMT on the California coast in the year of 2000 and met a young man who introduced himself as Mike, seemingly living on the streets from what I gather. He posted this comment because I think the clothing basically matched Michael Negrete's, as well as his general physical description. I believe he was playing the blues or jazz on a brass instrument of some kind. I'm sorry if this doesn't help.

Welcome to Ws dribwolley, thanks for that hopeful tidbit, will look around for that video!

Not the video referenced in above post, this one was released in March 2017
[video=youtube;6qoqZBf5pEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qoqZBf5pEw[/video]

This is the picture of the You Tube comment: http://imgur.com/a/Kty7U
This is the link to the video: [video=youtube;qRSqqnELKOM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRSqqnELKOM&t=754s[/video]

I would like to believe that "Jay Case" is being honest, but I doubt he saw Michael. From what he says, the trumpet player seems like a runaway. If Mike really wanted to get away from his family and friends, why would he give his real name and info on his past, particularly when he stayed in the same state where he went missing from.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog
Back