CA - Multiple casualties after 'active shooter' opens fire, Thousand Oaks, 08 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Then you get into the secondary problem. Let's say a family member is aware that something seems "off." As it currently stands, a person can only be placed on a psychiatric hold if they are determined to be a danger to self or others. It is very easy for someone to completely deny that they are having any such problems. And people who are paranoid and having delusions are even less likely to honestly share about this even if questioned.

This is the gray area that we're dealing with. Everyone talks about how there is a lack of resources for mental health, but that isn't exactly the problem.

The problem is getting the people who need it the most to be willing to get help for their mental problems.
I agree, @Jinkasaurus - but there are big problems in some states because of Medicaid changes that have cut services for the mentally ill. Consider this: <snip>
As parents, we know intimately about the overwhelming problems our sons and daughters have experienced. Here are two examples that typify our collective experiences:

“Robert” is non-verbal and his anxiety is exhibited in extreme physical aggression. In 2007, his behaviors were significant enough that his family and teachers were not safe. No agency in Iowa would admit him. He was enrolled in a private facility out of state. Six years ago, he came back to Iowa in crisis and was placed at the Woodward State institution at a cost of $360,000 per year. In 2012, Robert moved into a community-based home at one-third the cost. He lived in his hometown close to family for 6 years with relative success. Beginning in 2017, Robert’s Medicaid funding was reduced by DHS and the MCO to a level insufficient to maintain services. The new funding level allows direct support staff to be paid about $9 per hour — which is not enough to compensate someone with the skills needed to support Robert. At present, Robert’s Mom has no long-term solution to help care for her son. <snip>
Iowa’s Medicaid Managed Care program is deeply flawed; corrective action is needed
I see this over and over; I've spent countless hours trying to find solutions, and have come up empty. It's scary- people are trying to get help for their loved ones, but it's not available any more...

Thousand Oaks, California gunman Ian Long was "ticking time bomb," high school coach says - CBS News

Cluke recalled a time when she and her father sat down with Long for a talk and asked him why he wanted to join the military. His answer, she said, "is burned in my soul."

"He said he wanted to be in the Marines because he wanted to go fight in the war for our country and he wanted to kill for our country," she said. "When you hear somebody say they want to be in the military because they want to kill people in the name of our country, that's chilling. It chilled me right down to my bones."

Doctors and nurses respond with stories of gun trauma after the NRA told them to 'stay in their lane'

5be9a3eedde8675d9145897b-1536-768.jpg

Eva Mills, right, and Holden Grzywacz, two survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting, mourn the death of Sean Adler during a vigil at the Rivalry Roasters coffee shop after the Borderline Bar & Grill shooting in Thousand Oaks, California. AP Photo/Jae C. Hong

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/In-Thousand-Oaks-Calif-natural-disaster-upends-13385975.php

In Thousand Oaks, Calif., natural disaster upends somber pattern of grieving

Volunteer chaplains hovered outside the crime scene Saturday afternoon when the trio of friends settled beneath the caution tape and started assembling. They had white computer paper, permanent markers, black electrical tape and 12 U.S. flags - one for each victim of the mass shooting inside Borderline Bar and Grill last week.

It had been four days since the midterm elections, three days since seven of their friends were gunned down at their favorite bar and two days since catastrophic twin blazes had formed a ring of fire around this southern California community.

The second tragedy of the week had somehow dwarfed the first. Outside Borderline there was a memorial, but it was scant: a floral cross and a small group of votive candles on the street corner.

If we did not know what we know now, looking at his past info would seem like a guy who could have had it all
I have a feeling that he had very high expectations. As a result, his definition of "having it all" could have encompassed a lot of "alls". This could have led to him hitting a wall. For example:

- Expects great paying career in SOCAL and the associated material rewards. vs Has average intelligence, maybe a little higher, but is not brilliant.

- Expects attractive women to fawn over him vs Is handsome, but has a negative personality. Money can compensate for negative personality to some degree with some women. But, he lacks cash as well.

- Expects success in career, romance to come quickly vs Low work ethic compounded by no apparent high levels of natural ability.

Frustrations mount, so does innate aggression..... .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back