CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not definitive, but the statement that the children were also in the tent seems to indicate that the Lieutenant was only referring to TB's location when he was shot -- and that he was not referring to the shooter's location: "The theory we are working with is he was shot inside the tent," Lieutenant Moore said. "The children were inside the tent, too. " BBC Report -- Dad shot dead while camping with daughters

I think TB was hit by a sniper with a night vision scope. From a distance.
I think the bullet or bullets pulled out of him were a different caliber than the potential shot guns used prior.
I think the different caliber bullet makes the police feel the shootings are not related.
As for motive...I don't know enough to even speculate.

I'm finding the media reports a bit confusing and have a few basic questions I can't find clarification on.

FWIW, I'm quite familiar with Malibu Creek SP, although it's been a few years since I've been out there. I've traversed even some of the more remote parts on foot and on horseback. While much of the terrain is difficult and remote, the campsites are not at all and attract IME mostly the recreational/family camping crowd. Weekends are very busy, lots of kids, lots of city people.

1. Who made the initial 911 call about the gunshots?

2. Was it one gunshot or multiple?

3. Is it correct that the BIL entered the victim's tent and found him bleeding?

4. Was the discovery of the victim before or after the 911 call? Were the police there (on the property) when the body was discovered?

5. From Malibu campground where father fatally shot is closed down as safety precaution:
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lt. Rodney Moore said investigators are sifting through evidence from the scene and that the firearm has not been found. Detectives have begun reviewing other shootings in the area but have no evidence yet that ties any prior incidents to the killing, he said.

“The theory we are working with is he was shot inside the tent,” Moore said. “The children were inside the tent too.”

What does this mean? Is the sheriff just ruling out that he was shot outside the tent and then returned, bleeding, to the tent. Or is the theory that someone entered the tent and shot him?

6. Why did early reports state that the victim died from a shot to the 'upper torso' and only later, per the coroner, identify the fatal injury as a shot to the head (and the coroner said there were not multiple gunshots)?

Reports say the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. There are certain specific circumstances in which a person can be pronounced dead on scene in California. (I was licensed as an EMT in LA County so know this well.) Lividity, rigor, evisceration, exposed brain matter, decapitation - the whole list for LA County is here. So this victim fit the criteria somehow by the time EMS arrived.

But how do you declare someone dead from a gunshot wound to the torso - which apparently didn't exist - and entirely miss the fatal head wound?

I will much appreciate any answers or links to more accurate reports. I'm struggling to fit this in with what I know of the park and the campgrounds. I'm not sure where a random shooter would shoot randomly from, for example. And I'm not sure that a single gunshot would rouse much suspicion among LA residents - odd gunfire (especially at holidays) is not so uncommon in many parts of LA and once you get used to it, you sleep through it.

I do hope they find who's responsible.
No one other than LE, and other campers that night can answer any of the questions you asked. All details are unknown. Even the bit TB's BIL told to TB's brother who then told to Radar Online is not a reliable information.

Very good questions, though.

From the Local Malibu Twitter page
The Local Malibu (@thelocalmalibu) | Twitter
Sources on the inside tell is law enforcement showed up at 5 pm yesterday in the briefing room and homicide detectives came in and called it off. No more information on that but did find out more details re: #Beaudette murder. Avoid #Malibu CNYN 12 a.m. to 7 a.m. to be safe. #apb

And from Ian Bradley - Reporter for the Acorn Newspaper
Ian Bradley (@Ian_reports) | Twitter
LASD confirmed the Calif. State Parks Department has ordered the Malibu Creek campground remained closed through July 8. Detectives have completed their investigation of the scene but may return if deemed necessary

Hey everyone, first time posting. If we find out that the shooting happened from inside the tent I feel like that would indicate that the shooting was a hit or from someone who knew TB because that seems like they were taking care not to hurt the girls. If the shooting happened from outside the tent (especiallly if it's from a long distance) I feel like it indicates a random shooter since it would be harder to shoot accurately, which could mean the shooter did not care about who was hit or about confirming TBs death.

What do you think?

Hello. I'm brand new. Just signed up.

This case is really interesting to me because I used to live in the area and frequently traveled on those roads.

Anyway, apologies if someone has already brought this up but it made me remember Elaine Park. The location where her car was found was only about 8 miles (by road) south of the campground, and she's never been found.

This case is really interesting to me because I used to live in the area and frequently traveled on those roads.

Anyway, apologies if someone has already brought this up but it made me remember Elaine Park. The location where her car was found was only about 8 miles (by road) south of the campground, and she's never been found.
Welcome to Websleuths!

Hey everyone, first time posting. If we find out that the shooting happened from inside the tent I feel like that would indicate that the shooting was a hit or from someone who knew TB because that seems like they were taking care not to hurt the girls. If the shooting happened from outside the tent (especiallly if it's from a long distance) I feel like it indicates a random shooter since it would be harder to shoot accurately, which could mean the shooter did not care about who was hit or about confirming TBs death.

What do you think?

These will be the deciding factors for me.

?

LASD= Los Angeles (County?) Sheriff's Department?

"The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD) is a law enforcement agency which serves Los Angeles County, California -- an area totaling approximately 4,084 square miles with a population of almost 10 million people (2010 U.S. Census). It is the largest Sheriff's Department in the world, with approximately 18,000 employees." Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

Welcome to Websleuths!

That's an interesting possible connection.

Here's the route from the campground to the general area where Park's car was found. Apparently her boyfriend lived in Calabasas. Google Maps

This is the initial (AFAIK) LASD Information Bureau release:

**UPDATE** #LASD Homicide Detectives Continue to Investigate the Death of a Man, 1900blk Las Virgenes Rd, Calabasas

Homicide detectives have learned that deputies from Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station responded to the location regarding a shots fired call.

When deputies arrived they located the male adult victim who had sustained at least one gunshot wound to his upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

This is the Special Bulletin notice. It says that the victim was shot and killed at 4:44 am on 22 June. Which is not entirely accurate.

4:44 am is when LE responded to a call reporting gunshots in the park. From NBC LA:

Detectives have not revealed the exact time of the shooting, but were summoned to the campground at 4:44 a.m. June 22, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

If LASD are appealing to the public for help, the least they could do is provide potential witnesses with accurate details. It really might make a difference in what they recall. For example, if the gunshot sounds were at 4:20a, someone who is on that road half an hour before 4:44 might remember an odd detail.

If this sounds like an insignificant difference in time, let me tell you there is no such thing in southern California when it comes to commuting. People travel for long periods of time (and not necessarily long distances) to get to/from work and learn to be very precise about when to leave. You can leave your house 5 minutes later and that will make your commute 20 minutes longer. A stop for gas for 5 minutes can add half an hour to your commute. It's really that bad and people have all kinds of routines to ensure they get to work in a manageable way. So it's possible that someone would be thinking, 'At 4:45, I'm already at PCH' and dismiss the notice.

What do you think?
I agree. That’s why it’s an important piece of information. Was he shot from up close or far away? If he was shot from up close then I believe it was a hit or he was targeted. If he was shot from far away then I think this was random and is probably linked to the other shootings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faithfülly