CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Robert Wagner is 86 years old. Just don't think anything will take him down.

War criminals are still prosecuted years after the fact. There was one case just last year where a 93 year old former prison guard from Auschwitz was found guilty of being an accessory to murders committed during the Holocaust. I recall that he didn't express much remorse for his actions, and at least he was found guilty in a court of law, and was sentenced to five years imprisonment for his involvement in those over 170,000 deaths. Not much of a sentence, most likely due to his age and probably the passage of time, but that's still something. There is no statute of limitations on murder in the US.

Thanks for posting it. I'm not familiar with her movies; I remember when she died, how what I read didn't sound right. I've always wondered if anything would be done.
Every day that goes by is another that goes without justice. I know of too many cases where a POI went to the grave without justice being done.

You can see he's cutting her down - she had a real concept of what she was doing, then about having a director and using her own ability. She wanted Rebel and did everything to get it. He says he spent years trying to move on but the reality was he started dating really fast. I don't think her body was cold yet. Those are just a few that I see; I could really pick it apart if I had more time.

A blind man can see that wasn't a tribute from a loving husband. He reminds me of Ryan O'Neill after Farrah passed.

I agree 100%. (That's not really shocking, I know). He moved on way too fast; it wouldn't surprise me if he and Jill St. John were having an affair before Natalie's death. Wagner has written all three of his books with Scott Eyman, who has said that Natalie had a mediocre career. Not only is that statement not true, but it's laughable when you consider that Wagner's career pales in comparison to hers. He wishes he had the career and talent she had. He was always jealous of that, and possessive of her. He knew that she was at the very least, considering divorce. I think she was fed up with his controlling behavior and his drinking. I hate that he has Natasha and Courtney believing that their mother was an alcoholic when that actually was his problem for a number of years (you can tell by looking at him now, his ruddy complexion, blood shot eyes and huge head). In Lambert's book, his agenda was obvious. He did everything possible to shift blame on her for her own death, made her out to be some alcoholic drug addict who put her career before her marriage. She actually semi-retired in the 1970s (with the occasional acting role) to raise her daughters. Wagner was extremely threatened when she wanted to pursue her career again on a full-time basis; he had spent their first marriage playing second fiddle and being known as "Mr. Wood" and did not want that to happen again. He uses her for publicity purposes and self-promotion when it suits him, but by the same token he refuses to really honor her, and gets angry if anyone else writes or talks about her. Filing lawsuits at the drop of hat. You'll notice that throughout this coffee table book, there is no mention of the ongoing homicide investigation that the LASD is conducting. It refers to rumors and conspiracy theorists and claims that the Wagner family is "taking the high road" in not dignifying any of it with a response. Never mind the fact that they refused to cooperate with authorities regarding a murder investigation! They don't care about the truth, all they want is to secure their futures. Since Natalie's granddaughter Clover will also benefit from the book sales, I don't mind purchasing it. Natalie's granddaughter deserves financial security; it's just so tragic that she will never know her grandmother.

I won't go there regarding Ryan O'Neal, I can't stand him, but yes, the situation is very similar. He was making out with another woman in the backseat of a car at Farrah's funeral and hit on his own daughter, Tatum, whom he didn't even recognize!

Roselvr, you really should check out Natalie's films! She was never a trained performer, just a God-given, natural talent and that made her stand out, even as a child actress. A touching, vulnerable quality was always present; she expressed so much through her eyes. It angered me when Wagner implied that she is not a legend. She is legendary! No amount of lies will ever change that.

Here are just a few (okay more than a few) that I recommend:

Tomorrow Is Forever (1946)

TOMORROW%20IS%20FOREVER%201946_zpstbwpqy6t.jpg

Have a tissue handy! In her first major role, Natalie played an Austrian war orphan, still haunted by the death of her parents.

Miracle On 34th Street (1947)

Miracle%20on%2034th%20Street_01_zpshjd86ui7.jpg

A must watch during the holiday season! Natalie portrays Susan Walker, who doesn't believe in Santa Claus, and she learns to believe not only in Santa, but the magic of Christmas. Natalie grew close to her onscreen mother, Maureen O'Hara, and called her "Mama Maureen".

Rebel Without A Cause (1955)

natrebelposter156487.1020.A_zpsyj3kebjb.jpg

The quintessential film about misunderstood teenagers, this was Natalie's first real young adult film role and earned her the first of three Oscar nominations (this one for Best Supporting Actress). It was also important to her because of the friendships she formed with co-stars James Dean, Sal Mineo, Nick Adams, Dennis Hopper and Perry Lopez.

Marjorie Morningstar (1958)

marjorie-morningstar-movie-poster-1958-1020209622_zpsa8ewgn5e.jpg

Based on Herman Wouk's novel, this film is the story of a young woman's bittersweet first love, and how loving sometimes means letting go. Natalie worked hard to get this role and while the film didn't do particularly well at the box office, it has gained a cult following in more recent years. Gene Kelly is too old for the role he plays but does a very good job.

Kings Go Forth (1958)

Two soldiers (Frank Sinatra and Tony Curtis) fall in love with the same girl. When they find out that she is biracial, the true colors of each man is revealed. A tragic war love story, with a powerful message. Natalie gives a very moving performance as the emotionally fragile young woman.

KingsGoForthPoster_zps6hqqaxp2.jpg

Splendor In The Grass (1961)

splendor-in-the-grass-poster_zpsa09jft6m.jpg

natsplendorclassroom819full-splendor-in-the-grass-screenshot_zpsbvgh1ron.png

In many ways, the quintessential Natalie Wood film! Based on the William Inge play, it tells the story of two teenagers in 1920s Kansas; Deanie (Natalie) a working class girl, and Bud (Warren Beatty, in his film debut) the son of the wealthiest man in the community. Pressures to "be good" and society and parental expectations cause the young couple to break up, and ultimately they both suffer pain and heartbreak. Natalie received her first Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, and it's not hard to see why. Gary Lockwood, Sandy Dennis and Phyllis Diller also made their screen debuts.

West Side Story (1961)
natwsslobby208265.1020.A_zpspowktpbz.jpg

Directed by Robert Wise, this film is based on the Broadway musical of the same name. Maria (Natalie) is the sister of the leader of The Sharks, a Puerto Rican street gang. At a dance, Maria meets and falls in love with Tony (Richard Beymer), and the feeling is mutual. Tony is however, a member of The Jets, a rival gang. Racial tensions, forbidden love and unaviodable tragedy ensue, inspired by Romeo And Juliet. Although Natalie's vocals were dubbed, she is so sincere and vulnerable in the role and it's hard to imagine anyone playing the role better.

Gypsy (1962)

natgypsyposter313232.1020.A_zpstfmcp12w.jpg

Another hit Broadway musical to hit the screen, this is the fictionalized biography of burlesque stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. Natalie plays Louise, who would become Gypsy when she and her mother Rose (Rosalind Russell) accidentally end up working in a burlesque theatre when the vaudeville circuit was taking its last breath. Natalie and the rest of the cast perform their own vocals and the musical sequences are a delight.

Love With The Proper Stranger (1963)

natlwtpsposter461958.1020.A_zpsa8rutt7s.jpg

Natalie received her third (and final) Oscar nomination for this story of an Italian-American salesgirl who has a one-night stand with a musician (Steve McQueen) and later confides to him that's she's pregnant. Although they originally plan for her to undergo an abortion (illegal in those days), things don't got as planned, he finds himself falling for her and well, it's an unconventional, but very sweet love story. Shot in black and white, with a wonderful, gentle score, and featuring an outstanding supporting cast - Edie Adams, Hershal Bernardi and Tom Bosley, this is a underrated film that for some reason, has yet to have an official DVD release, although some sites sell bootleg copies.

Sex And The Single Girl (1964)

natsinglegirlposter204798.1020.A_zpshrlugf8l.jpg

Tony Curtis plays an editor of a "dirty magazine" who sets out to bed a psychologist, played by Natalie, who only knows him by name and reputation (and doesn't think much of him), so the fact that they have never met face to face allows Curtis to pretend to be a close friend of his and sets up a meeting with her as a patient. As with most romantic comedies of the time, there are a lot of comic misunderstandings, but ultimately, love conquers all. Natalie had a definite comedic touch, as evidenced here. A pleasant way to spend a rainy afternoon. Nice chemistry between the leads too.

Inside Daisy Clover (1965)

natdaisyposter253800.1020.A_zpsebncci1o.jpg

Natalie was passionate about films and characters that she could identify with. The story of a teenage star in the 1930s who is used and abused by the studio system was in many ways, tailor-made for her. Unfortunately, the film was somewhat heavily edited before it was released, leading to poor box-office receipts, but it is still a credible performance. It also marked the first time that Natalie would work with Robert Redford, who became a close friend. Natalie's daughter Natasha named her daughter Clover after this film.

This Property Is Condemned (1966)

natpropertyposter260293.1020.A_zps0mjhjrgc.jpg

Another film that meant very much to Natalie, as she had always admired Tennessee Williams and had wanted to play Blanche DuBois for years, she was excited to play Alva Starr, a teenager whose mother is only too willing to use her daughter's charms to gain customers (mostly railroad workers) for their boarding house. Unfortunately, when Owen Legate (Robert Redford) arrives to lay off the workers, this causes conflict in the small community, complicated by the fact that Alva and Owen fall in love. Tragedy, of course, isn't far behind. Another film that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Another moving performance by Natalie.

Penelope (1966)

penelope-movie-poster-1966-1020236862_zpskerhhox8.jpg

Although it flopped in 1966, Penelope is a very enjoyable comedy that has gained a cult following. Natalie plays the title character, the wife of a banker (played by Ian Bannen) who believes herself to be a kleptomaniac. When she feels she is losing her husband's attentions, she dons a disguise and robs his bank. A fun spoof, with fantastic costumes, it really is a feast for the eyes, especially if you like 1960s fashion. Natalie is adorable and even sings a song, entitled, "The Sun Is Grey".

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

natbctatumblr_lb3f470jqR1qce882o1_500_zpsbrelhjai.jpg

This low-budget comedy put Natalie's career back on the map, and this modern story of Bob and Carol (Robert Culp and Natalie) who go on a retreat and discover the benefits of "free love" try to convince their best friends, Ted and Alice (Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon) to join their swinging lifestyle. However, they discover that love and commitment has greater rewards.

Robert Redford's TCM Tribute to Natalie:

[video=youtube;x7mehiZCpD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7mehiZCpD0[/video]

this thread is about her death, not a tribute thread. maybe the celebrity forum for that?

I call but this is the Natalie wood death thread...and remembering her through high films is a treat.

Noir: Thanks so much for sharing the videos you've made. And how wonderful for the younger crowd to see Natalie's true and natural beauty.

"Rebel Without A Cause" had a huge impact on the teenagers of 1955. I can remember my 15 yr. old sister immediately began wearing little scarves tied at the neck.

It was not my intention to derail the thread, but it was getting heavy just talking about her death. It's also important to remember and honor the victims.

I found it interesting some feel that Natalie Wood was not drunk at the time of her death. I guess the term "drunk" can have different meaning's to different people. So I took a look at what Natalie's blood alcohol level was and what it could mean.

Wood's body was found to have a blood alcohol content of 0.14 percent, nearly twice the legal limit for driving. She was also found to be under the influence of a motion sickness medication and a painkiller, which likely increased her level of intoxication.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

I think that Natalie's alcohol level alone could have caused her to fall causing the bruises and ultimately her death by accidental drowning. JMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ding-original-autopsy-actress-1981-death.html

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

I found it interesting some feel that Natalie Wood was not drunk at the time of her death. I guess the term "drunk" can have different meaning's to different people. So I took a look at what Natalie's blood alcohol level was and what it could mean.

I think that Natalie's alcohol level alone could have caused her to fall causing the bruises and ultimately her death by accidental drowning. JMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ding-original-autopsy-actress-1981-death.html

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

With all due respect, Ranch, have you not been paying attention to what has been revealed in this thread? Her autopsy showed no drugs were detected in her system. No amount of alcohol would have made try to re-tie the dingy late at night. She had a great fear of dark water; she was in a nightgown. Natalie was petite, about 5'1. If you look at how high the railings are on the Splendour, there is no way she could have fallen from there. Moreover, Wagner has never admitted to the very loud, violent argument he had with Natalie on the deck, which was overheard by at least three people. The amount of bruises she had, not to mention the location of the bruises (in particular the ones on her wrist) could not have come from falling. It is no longer considered an accident.

Natalie's sister, Lana, has received death threats because she dared to publicly state that she does not believe Natalie's death was an accident. There is more to this case than meets the eye.

I agree 100%. (That's not really shocking, I know). He moved on way too fast; it wouldn't surprise me if he and Jill St. John were having an affair before Natalie's death. Wagner has written all three of his books with Scott Eyman, who has said that Natalie had a mediocre career. Not only is that statement not true, but it's laughable when you consider that Wagner's career pales in comparison to hers. He wishes he had the career and talent she had. He was always jealous of that, and possessive of her. He knew that she was at the very least, considering divorce. I think she was fed up with his controlling behavior and his drinking. I hate that he has Natasha and Courtney believing that their mother was an alcoholic when that actually was his problem for a number of years (you can tell by looking at him now, his ruddy complexion, blood shot eyes and huge head). In Lambert's book, his agenda was obvious. He did everything possible to shift blame on her for her own death, made her out to be some alcoholic drug addict who put her career before her marriage. She actually semi-retired in the 1970s (with the occasional acting role) to raise her daughters. Wagner was extremely threatened when she wanted to pursue her career again on a full-time basis; he had spent their first marriage playing second fiddle and being known as "Mr. Wood" and did not want that to happen again. He uses her for publicity purposes and self-promotion when it suits him, but by the same token he refuses to really honor her, and gets angry if anyone else writes or talks about her. Filing lawsuits at the drop of hat. You'll notice that throughout this coffee table book, there is no mention of the ongoing homicide investigation that the LASD is conducting. It refers to rumors and conspiracy theorists and claims that the Wagner family is "taking the high road" in not dignifying any of it with a response. Never mind the fact that they refused to cooperate with authorities regarding a murder investigation! They don't care about the truth, all they want is to secure their futures. Since Natalie's granddaughter Clover will also benefit from the book sales, I don't mind purchasing it. Natalie's granddaughter deserves financial security; it's just so tragic that she will never know her grandmother.

I won't go there regarding Ryan O'Neal, I can't stand him, but yes, the situation is very similar. He was making out with another woman in the backseat of a car at Farrah's funeral and hit on his own daughter, Tatum, whom he didn't even recognize!

From the movies you suggested, I believe I've seen these.
Miracle On 34th Street
Love With The Proper Stranger
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

Thanks for all you shared. I gave thumbs up at you tube
I've always loved Shirley Temple from the time I was little (late 60's). I have her movies, dolls and other memorabilia and was in her fan club. Shirley wasn't able to do what Natalie did with acting after being a child star which to me, shows she had a real talent. I'm not saying Shirley did not, Shirley just couldn't be accepted to grow older.

I wasn't a "fan" of Farrah, I knew her from TV and Lee Majors, even tried to have her hair style with my pin straight hair lol. It was more about her cancer fight as she was diagnosed after I lost my dad. I was in groups with fans during and after she passed. I ended up meeting Brett Hudson online because of Farrah's groups and reading about his cancer on his blog. Brett was being treated with Farrah in Germany. They were both filming to make a documentary. He was actually cut out of Farrah's. A few months after reading Brett's blog, my hub was diagnosed with cancer similar to Brett's so I talked to him a few times. He gave me his number in case I had more questions but I never needed to call him.

I agree Wagner was probably having an affair. You just do not move on that quickly when you love someone like he claimed to have.

Robert Redford's TCM Tribute to Natalie:

Thanks for sharing it. Very touching tribute.

this thread is about her death, not a tribute thread. maybe the celebrity forum for that?
this is a thread about her death. and the "tributes" are de-railing the thread. imo.

She posted what she did because I'm not familiar with Natalie's movies. I don't see how they wouldn't fit with Natalie's thread. Natalie was known for acting. There have been photos posted as tribute too

I call but this is the Natalie wood death thread...and remembering her through high films is a treat.

I agree. The photos and video tributes are a treat

With all due respect, Ranch, have you not been paying attention to what has been revealed in this thread? Her autopsy showed no drugs were detected in her system. No amount of alcohol would have made try to re-tie the dingy late at night. She had a great fear of dark water; she was in a nightgown. Natalie was petite, about 5'1. If you look at how high the railings are on the Splendour, there is no way she could have fallen from there. Moreover, Wagner has never admitted to the very loud, violent argument he had with Natalie on the deck, which was overheard by at least three people. The amount of bruises she had, not to mention the location of the bruises (in particular the ones on her wrist) could not have come from falling. It is no longer considered an accident.

Natalie's sister, Lana, has received death threats because she dared to publicly state that she does not believe Natalie's death was an accident. There is more to this case than meets the eye.

I've always wondered why Lana never tried to file a wrongful death suit against Wagner to get him to answer questions in a deposition under oath? I don't believe it was an accident either Lana deserves answers but it is doubtful she will ever get them.

noir....thanks so much for the reminders of beautiful Natalie's work. As I scrolled through this thread I realized there are so many of her films I haven't seen yet so I'm glad to see such a representation here.

I was just out of high school when Natalie died and remember feeling so sad. She was so talented and always 'camera ready', perfectly turned out and gorgeous. Such a classy lady!

I've always wondered why Lana never tried to file a wrongful death suit against Wagner to get him to answer questions in a deposition under oath? I don't believe it was an accident either Lana deserves answers but it is doubtful she will ever get them.

I think Lana wanted to believe that it was an accident. In her book, "Natalie: A Memoir By Her Sister" (published in 1984), she seemed to be trying hard to convince herself that there was no foul play involved. Since Wagner wouldn't talk to her about it (and cut her out of her nieces lives soon after Natalie's death) she didn't have much to go on either. Also, her mother was still alive then and was so afraid that she would never see her granddaughters again and Lana didn't want to rock the boat. As time when on, Lana became more and more suspicious. Dennis Davern called her, expressing grief and remorse over what had happened that night, blaming himself for not doing more to help Natalie, even though Wagner was the one who refused to allow him to call the Coast Guard, to search for Natalie, etc. I think the final straw was when "Natalie Wood: A Life" was published by Gavin Lambert. The lies and accusations that were printed about Lana made her extremely angry and even more suspicious. Wagner has done everything possible to paint Lana in a bad light and even had her blackballed at one point. She realized that he had something to hide. Her nieces have been turned against her. Even her half-sister Olga (who passed away a few years back) was on Wagner's side because she believed the lies he told her. So you have an idea of what Lana has been up against. Also, while Wagner is not a very good actor, he has the power of celebrity on his side and he uses it to his advantage. But as I said, it can't go on forever.

noir....thanks so much for the reminders of beautiful Natalie's work. As I scrolled through this thread I realized there are so many of her films I haven't seen yet so I'm glad to see such a representation here.

I was just out of high school when Natalie died and remember feeling so sad. She was so talented and always 'camera ready', perfectly turned out and gorgeous. Such a classy lady!

You're very welcome! I enjoyed sharing it. I love almost all of her films, but these are the ones to me that really stand out. She never gave a bad performance!

From the movies you suggested, I believe I've seen these.
Miracle On 34th Street
Love With The Proper Stranger
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

Thanks for all you shared. I gave thumbs up at you tube
I've always loved Shirley Temple from the time I was little (late 60's). I have her movies, dolls and other memorabilia and was in her fan club. Shirley wasn't able to do what Natalie did with acting after being a child star which to me, shows she had a real talent. I'm not saying Shirley did not, Shirley just couldn't be accepted to grow older.

I wasn't a "fan" of Farrah, I knew her from TV and Lee Majors, even tried to have her hair style with my pin straight hair lol. It was more about her cancer fight as she was diagnosed after I lost my dad. I was in groups with fans during and after she passed. I ended up meeting Brett Hudson online because of Farrah's groups and reading about his cancer on his blog. Brett was being treated with Farrah in Germany. They were both filming to make a documentary. He was actually cut out of Farrah's. A few months after reading Brett's blog, my hub was diagnosed with cancer similar to Brett's so I talked to him a few times. He gave me his number in case I had more questions but I never needed to call him.

I agree Wagner was probably having an affair. You just do not move on that quickly when you love someone like he claimed to have.

Thanks for sharing it. Very touching tribute.

She posted what she did because I'm not familiar with Natalie's movies. I don't see how they wouldn't fit with Natalie's thread. Natalie was known for acting. There have been photos posted as tribute too

I agree. The photos and video tributes are a treat

You're welcome. Thank you for the nice comments you posted for my videos on youtube.

I was never a huge of Farrah either. I liked her on "Charlie's Angels" but she was never my favorite, although her later TV movies (especially "The Burning Bed") were amazing. I always thought she was overrated, looks-wise. Still, she really died a painful and premature death and she had terrible taste in men. Ryan O'Neal has been horrible to his children and I think the only reason why he wanted to marry Farrah at the end (I'm glad she stuck to her guns about no more marriages after Lee Majors) was so that he could get her money. I don't think he is capable of loving anyone other than himself.

I'm sorry that your husband struggled with cancer. I hope he has made a full recovery.

Shirley Temple was adorable as a child and was very pretty as an adult, and I do think she had the talent to continue, but the public had a hard time excepting her as grown up. One of my favorites of her later films is "The Bachelor And The Bobby-Soxer" (1947). Natalie once stated that she was fortunate that, in her years as a child actress, she rarely had to "carry" a film the way that Shirley did, she was just working regularly in movies, and this was one of the reason why it was somewhat easier for her to transition into adult roles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back