CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I posted this 7-21-15 on the TV/Movies thread (downstairs):

I make an effort to watch a "new" old movie several times a week. I check the TCM schedule daily (or the night before) and choose a film that I haven't seen previously.

Yesterday I watched Penelope (1966) starring Natalie Wood. The silly comedy revolves around a beautiful kleptomaniac (Wood) who robs her husband's bank to get back at him for being a workaholic who ignores his wife. The husband/wife relationship is reflected in flashbacks with Penny's psychiatrist. The ending was predictable, and the best part of the fluff film were the '60s wardrobe (Edith Head) and a plethora of wigs worn by gorgeous Natalie Wood. Grade: B-.

Natalie Wood's untold story, including an interview with Robert Wagner and never-before-seen family photos, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE.

People Magazine - Robert Wagner Breaks His Silence About Natalie Wood's Death: 'We Were All So Shattered' By Liz McNeil - 4/13/2016 AT 08:30 AM EDT

Thirty-five years after Natalie Wood drowned while sailing off Catalina Island, her former husband Robert Wagner 86, speaks to PEOPLE in this week's cover story about his family's heartbreak and his close bond with his stepdaughter, Natasha Gregson Wagner.

"We were all so shattered by the loss, and we were hanging on to each other," Wagner tells PEOPLE. "My bond with Natasha is very, very intense. We've hung onto each other through the years and she means the world to me."

'Don't Go': Natalie Wood's Daughter Natasha Says She Asked Her Mom Not To Leave Before Tragic Boating Accident – and Shares Emotional Memories - By Liz McNeil - 4/13/2016 AT 08:00 AM EDT

"Don't go," said Natasha, then 11, as Wood got ready to go sailing on their yacht, Splendour.

“I remember she was getting dressed and putting on [her perfume] Jungle Gardenia on,” Natasha, 45, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. "They were getting ready to go on the boat. I was hugging her and telling her I loved her and to have a great trip. She had an angora sweater on and it was very soft. That's my last memory of her."

The boat Captain has the ultimate responsibility for the boat, its safe operation and the safety of the people aboard. The Captain should have sent radio messages that there was a person overboard and he had the duty to search for her. I may sound awful but I bet he was drunk too and knew he would be arrested. Didn't they motor away from the original anchorage spot? His conscience is bothering him. Why would NW put on a down vest? Maybe in her drunkeness she thought it was a life preserver?

I remember this well and no one thought she fell overboard on accident but, there were lots of stories about her drinking problems and her being depressed because she was getting too old for the good roles. As in drama and suicidal tendencies. Whether these were true or not, no one was talking - no one came forward to say there were any problems with her mental or marital status. These things weren't done then. Scandals were covered up.

CW was not well known at all. In fact, I can't remember having seen him in a movie at the time. He was an unknown in celeb news.

It was rumored the RW was jealous of CW's attention to NW. Who knows. We weren't there. The idea that the boys were having the affair was only discussed in the gay community but I think it is possible. What I can't understand is CW's behavior. He slipped away with little more than an honorable mention in the entire event. .

The boat Captain has the ultimate responsibility for the boat, its safe operation and the safety of the people aboard. The Captain should have sent radio messages that there was a person overboard and he had the duty to search for her. I may sound awful but I bet he was drunk too and knew he would be arrested. Didn't they motor away from the original anchorage spot? His conscience is bothering him. Why would NW put on a down vest? Maybe in her drunkeness she thought it was a life preserver?

I remember this well and no one thought she fell overboard on accident but, there were lots of stories about her drinking problems and her being depressed because she was getting too old for the good roles. As in drama and suicidal tendencies. Whether these were true or not, no one was talking - no one came forward to say there were any problems with her mental or marital status. These things weren't done then. Scandals were covered up.

CW was not well known at all. In fact, I can't remember having seen him in a movie at the time. He was an unknown in celeb news.

It was rumored the RW was jealous of CW's attention to NW. Who knows. We weren't there. The idea that the boys were having the affair was only discussed in the gay community but I think it is possible. What I can't understand is CW's behavior. He slipped away with little more than an honorable mention in the entire event. .

I remember people talking about them possibly fighting, with Wagner to blame back then. There has always been question of Wagners story.
Christopher Walken has been around forever. I see he has hired an attorney too.

Wiki

That same year, Walken also starred in Brainstorm alongside Natalie Wood and (in a minor role) his wife, Georgianne. Walken was one of the last persons to see Wood alive before her drowning near Santa Catalina Island, California, while on a Thanksgiving weekend boating trip.[25] In 2011, Walken hired a lawyer when authorities re-opened the Wood case, while the LAPD said "Walken is not a suspect." The case was closed and termed an accidental death[26] until June 2012, when the investigation was re-opened and the cause of death was changed to "undetermined". Authorities stated that Walken is not a suspect.

Robert Wagner was the owner of the yacht, and Natalie was his wife, so it was ultimately his responsibility. Natalie did not have a drinking problem, Wagner did. Suicidal tendencies? Nope, more spin from the Wagner camp to make it seem like her death was her fault. She was not drunk, she was terrified of dark water and there was no way she would have attempted to re-tie the dingy or even get in it. Wagner was jealous of Natalie, and the fact that she wanted to pursue her career again on a full-time basis. Natalie was unconscious when she was put in the water; the bruises on her body were consistent with a struggle. People on nearby boats heard Natalie and Wagner having a loud argument on the deck, which corroborates Dennis Davern's account. Wagner lied to police when he told them that he went down to their bedroom to find her missing. Christopher Walken has spoken to investigators; Wagner is the only person who was present that night who has refused to cooperate.

Robert Wagner was the owner of the yacht, and Natalie was his wife, so it was ultimately his responsibility. Natalie did not have a drinking problem, Wagner did. Suicidal tendencies? Nope, more spin from the Wagner camp to make it seem like her death was her fault. She was not drunk, she was terrified of dark water and there was no way she would have attempted to re-tie the dingy or even get in it. Wagner was jealous of Natalie, and the fact that she wanted to pursue her career again on a full-time basis. Natalie was unconscious when she was put in the water; the bruises on her body were consistent with a struggle. People on nearby boats heard Natalie and Wagner having a loud argument on the deck, which corroborates Dennis Davern's account. Wagner lied to police when he told them that he went down to their bedroom to find her missing. Christopher Walken has spoken to investigators; Wagner is the only person who was present that night who has refused to cooperate.

I hope that Walken continues to speak to LE after hiring an attorney.

there is so much incorrect info above:
1. wood and wagner owned the splendour. davern was their employee. and he answered to them
2. if davern and wagner thought she took the dingy (if you believe that tale), why would he call re: a person overboard?
3. why would davern be arrested for being drunk? they were anchored
4. one usually puts on a down vest b/c one is cold
5. walken wasn't well known? except he had been in annie hall (a very successful film, winning the 1977 oscar for best picture) and had won a best supporting actor oscar in 1978 for the deer hunter

This is definitely a step in the right direction. After all the distortions and lies that have been thrown around regarding Natalie Wood's death, the circumstances surrounding it and the investigation, Dennis Davern has taken more action. He has cooperated fully with authorities and after seeing Natalie's daughter accuse her mother's sister and others of being conspiracy theorists and ignoring the open homicide investigation, he penned an open letter, asking for Wagner's arrest.

http://www.adweek.com/fishbowlny/dennis-davern-radar-online-open-letter/373111

Anyone who insults Dennis Davern has no clue how he has struggled with this all these years, lost sleep over it, and how he tried to come forward multiple times. Instead, people have ridiculed and blamed him, when Wagner is the one who has lied repeatedly and who won't speak to the LASD.

there is so much incorrect info above:
1. wood and wagner owned the splendour. davern was their employee. and he answered to them
2. if davern and wagner thought she took the dingy (if you believe that tale), why would he call re: a person overboard?
3. why would davern be arrested for being drunk? they were anchored
4. one usually puts on a down vest b/c one is cold
5. walken wasn't well known? except he had been in annie hall (a very successful film, winning the 1977 oscar for best picture) and had won a best supporting actor oscar in 1978 for the deer hunter

Good points. And winning an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 'The Deer Hunter' catapulted Christopher Walken into the spotlight. He was very established and well known then. He would have posed a legitimate threat to a jealous Wagner. Wagner had been a Hollywood 'hunk' in earlier years, but by the 70's he was no longer in movies and relegated to television (which was considered a step down from movies during that era).
http://www.biography.com/people/christopher-walken-9521854#on-stage
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001822/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

I don't understand where is the new information that is being spoke of...?

I think the public always knew and whispered behind closed doors that there was more to the story, but Hollywood in the golden era wanted their stars scandal free. They were terrified that a moral public would shun movies (which I believe would have happened). What a contrast with contemporary times where scandals further careers. I, for one, am so glad that this case is being re-investigated.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. After all the distortions and lies that have been thrown around regarding Natalie Wood's death, the circumstances surrounding it and the investigation, Dennis Davern has taken more action. He has cooperated fully with authorities and after seeing Natalie's daughter accuse her mother's sister and others of being conspiracy theorists and ignoring the open homicide investigation, he penned an open letter, asking for Wagner's arrest.

http://www.adweek.com/fishbowlny/dennis-davern-radar-online-open-letter/373111

Anyone who insults Dennis Davern has no clue how he has struggled with this all these years, lost sleep over it, and how he tried to come forward multiple times. Instead, people have ridiculed and blamed him, when Wagner is the one who has lied repeatedly and who won't speak to the LASD.

I don't understand where is the new information that is being spoke of...?

Found it

Skipper Of Natalie Wood’s Death Boat DEMANDS Immediate Arrest Of Robert Wagner!
Dennis Davern passes cops' lie detector test about night of actress' tragic death.
Posted on Apr 18, 2016 @ 17:40PM

Here are a couple of links to check out:

http://jezebel.com/5975764/new-autopsy-report-finds-natalie-wood-was-assaulted

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/14/local/la-me-01-14-natalie-wood-20130115

http://www.latimes.com/local/natalie-wood-investigation-sg-storygallery.html

Don't be fooled by the headline in this one. Natalie's sister confronted Wagner and he talked to her briefly (and had the gall to say that he has a family, when he's the one who cut her off from Natalie's daughters) and once he realized they were being video taped he walked away. He has not talked to the authorities, despite his claim that he "talked to everyone".

<modsnip>

This one is extremely important, revealing that witnesses overheard a fierce argument between Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner (which Dennis Davern also witnessed), which exposes Wagner's story of how he found Natalie missing as a lie:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...d-death-fight-new-witnesses-police-interview/

Also, check out the book "Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour" by Marti Rulli. That will answer many of your questions.

This needs to be cleared up once and for all - Natalie was not drunk. Her alcohol level was .14, which is illegal for driving but reasonable at a social drinking level. The alcohol in her system was certainly not enough to render her incapable of walking or taking care of herself, and no amount of alcohol would have made her try to leave the boat that night. Her fear of water, especially dark water, was ever-present. She was in her nightgown, which is a fact people need to remember. So please stop with the "she was drunk" comments. Robert Wagner was most likely far more intoxicated than Natalie was. I've pointed out before in this thread that when Wagner sanctioned the late Gavin Lambert's biography of Natalie, that they presented her in a very negative light, especially in those last few years of her life. They say her "career" demon took over and that she only found security in her career and in her daughters. How was that a bad thing? Because she clearly didn't need Wagner the way he needed her. And they tried to say her liver was compromised due to alcoholism and drug use, whereas her autopsy showed she had a healthy liver. This was a blatant attempt to shift blame on her for her own death, and using lies to do it.

Murder One is what the LASD is going for, and many who have knowledge about the case feel that it was pre-meditated. The night before, Natalie and Wagner had had an argument and she spent the night at a motel, before reluctantly returning to the Splendour. She even asked Christopher Walken if he wanted to go back to LA with her on a sea plane (as she knew he was not used to being on boats and was seasick). I think Natalie was planning to leave Wagner, and divorce him, and he knew it, and he knew that weekend that he was going to kill her. If she left him, he'd have nothing. Make no mistake, Natalie's death left him a wealthy man. In their first marriage, she was the star, the accomplished actor, all the things that he was not. He has an extremely jealous and possessive streak, which was also revealed when Natalie was shooting the miniseries "From Here To Eternity" in Hawaii. Wagner was so jealous of Natalie's chemistry with William Devane that in a drunken rage, he attempted to throw himself out of a window of the hotel room that they were staying in. He doesn't exactly come across as a mature adult, much less a stand up guy.

Robert Wagner implying that Natalie had a drinking problem only serves his defense purpose and undermines his claim that he didn't want the Captain to talk because it would upset Natalie's daughter. Didn't he think that his saying Natalie had a drinking problem would also hurt her daughter?

Robert Wagner implying that Natalie had a drinking problem only serves his defense purpose and undermines his claim that he didn't want the Captain to talk because it would upset Natalie's daughter. Didn't he think that his saying Natalie had a drinking problem would also hurt her daughter?

You make a very valid point. Wagner has undermined himself in many ways, such as the story of his drunken rage over Natalie's chemistry with William Devane, which was talked about in Lambert's book. They did their best to make Natalie look bad (and how was that good for her daughters?) but they also exposed Wagner's jealous personality. All of this will come back to bite him. He doesn't realize it, because he's too much of a narcissist, but it will come back to haunt him.

Will look on google to see if I can find it. I see some are on you tube.

Not sure if this has been posted, Direct PDF of Natalie Wood's autopsy

If anyone hasn't looked at the autopsy you should. If I'm reading it right, she had Cocaine, Codeine and I believe morphine in her system. They give a drawing of her many bruises. I'd like to know if drowning victims normally have similar bruising. Had she and Wagner fought and she wanted to go back to land, I surely wouldn't do it dressed the way she was; especially being an actress.

FrontBruiseScreenshot.jpgBackBruiseScreenshot.jpg

Natalie took sleeping pills, yes. It was a habit that was instilled in her by her mother at a young age. But she was not an addict. And yes, she would not have left the boat at all at night, especially in a nightgown.

Just received my latest National Enquirer (May 2nd) there was an article in it - a few excerpts:

Arrest Wagner Now, says skipper of Natalie Death Boat:

Dennis Davern, one of the last people o see Natalie Wood alive, has written an open letter to police saying Robert Wagner "deserves to be arrested" for his late wife's death! [....] Among the damning statements in the April 12 letter, obtained by The En., is this chilling passage: "I know what RJ (Wagner's nickname) did to Natalie. There's plenty of evidence, but the higher-ups are stalling in seeking justice for a woman who deserves it." [....] The explosive polygraph... [....] I was asked, "Did Robert Wagner murder Natalie Wood?" [....] "I answered, "Yes" - and I passed!"

I believe this guy!

Just received my latest National Enquirer (May 2nd) there was an article in it - a few excerpts:

Arrest Wagner Now, says skipper of Natalie Death Boat:

Dennis Davern, one of the last people o see Natalie Wood alive, has written an open letter to police saying Robert Wagner "deserves to be arrested" for his late wife's death! [....] Among the damning statements in the April 12 letter, obtained by The En., is this chilling passage: "I know what RJ (Wagner's nickname) did to Natalie. There's plenty of evidence, but the higher-ups are stalling in seeking justice for a woman who deserves it." [....] The explosive polygraph... [....] I was asked, "Did Robert Wagner murder Natalie Wood?" [....] "I answered, "Yes" - and I passed!"

I believe this guy!

I believe him too. Why else would he have been willing to go as far as he has to help the investigation? Incidentally, as I stated earlier, there will be much more to come, now that Natasha Gregson Wagner has been so vocal in supporting Daddy Wagner and even making very inappropriate comments regarding Dennis Davern (as on GMA today), well, let's just say, there a lot of people who are close to this case who haven't taken kindly to that. I hoped that she would see the light but she's more concerned with protecting her mother's killer. I think Wagner knows how serious this situation is, otherwise he wouldn't have hired a criminal defense attorney. He wants the public to think that he isn't bothered by the case being investigated but he is. It's infuriating to think that the daughters Natalie loved so much have no interest in fighting for her or finding out the truth. But the truth will prevail.

If anything else comes up, I will continue to post more in this thread.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back