CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wagner's account of that evening has always had some hinky gaps in it.
Christopher Walken needs to man up and disclose what really happened that night.
I suspect she was roaring drunk and fell in. Wagner was pissed off and didn't attempt to help her until it was too late. That seems the most likely to me.

Natalie had alcohol in her system, but she was not drunk. There was no way she would have tried to get in the dingy or re-tie it. She was petrified of dark water. And the bruises on her body are not consistent with accidental drowning. She had been abused physically. And people overhead Wagner violently arguing with Natalie on the deck that night, as did Dennis Davern. Wagner didn't want her to be found, and didn't want to take the chance she would survive to point the finger at him and/or divorce him, the latter of which I think she was contemplating doing. Wagner is the one who will not cooperate with the investigation, and he was, quote, "The last person to see her alive".

I don't understand why some people lay the blame on others but not Wagner. Why is it all on Christopher Walken? Granted, he probably knew more than what he told authorities at the time, but he was not the person who last saw her alive.

The theory that she was drunk and fell in the water is the garbage that Wagner and his PR people have been spinning for years, and it has been proven false.

Natalie had alcohol in her system, but she was not drunk. There was no way she would have tried to get in the dingy or re-tie it. She was petrified of dark water. And the bruises on her body are not consistent with accidental drowning. She had been abused physically. And people overhead Wagner violently arguing with Natalie on the deck that night, as did Dennis Davern. Wagner didn't want her to be found, and didn't want to take the chance she would survive to point the finger at him and/or divorce him, the latter of which I think she was contemplating doing. Wagner is the one who will not cooperate with the investigation, and he was, quote, "The last person to see her alive".

I don't understand why some people lay the blame on others but not Wagner. Why is it all on Christopher Walken? Granted, he probably knew more than what he told authorities at the time, but he was not the person who last saw her alive.

The theory that she was drunk and fell in the water is the garbage that Wagner and his PR people have been spinning for years, and it has been proven false.

I don't think anything has been proven to date, has it? Your theory is a good one. I'm just imagining an inebriated querulous woman, a heated argument, and the aftermath. I'm not saying Wagner doesn't have a role in the outcome, but I don't think he intentionally set out to drown her. I don't think he helped fast enough, but I don't think he wanted the outcome that transpired. The reason I am finger pointing at Walken, is that I believe he knows more than he has been saying. All this being said, I know no more than you. All just speculation. You could very well be right.

Actually, it has been proven that she was not drunk, and that they were heard arguing on the deck (by several people), which Wagner has not admitted to. He refuses to talk. Innocent people have no problem cooperating. And the bruises did not come about due to accidental drowning. Dennis Davern identified Natalie's body and stated that she looked like she had been in a boxing ring, and the re-examination of her autopsy has confirmed that as fact. She was beaten before she ended up in the water, and was in all likelihood unconscious. Drowning was the very fate she had feared all her life, and the very person who was supposed to love her and protect her caused her the very fate that she was terrified of. It may or may not have been pre-meditated, but like Jeffrey MacDonald, Wagner made the decision to not to stop his actions and came up with story to try to conceal his involvement. This is a homicide investigation, and I have a source who keeps me and a few others updated on the progress of the case. The fact that Wagner has been named "a person of interest" is a small step in the right direction.

His "charmed life" is starting to show signs of tarnish, and it's long overdue.

Actually, it has been proven that she was not drunk, and that they were heard arguing on the deck (by several people), which Wagner has not admitted to. He refuses to talk. Innocent people have no problem cooperating. And the bruises did not come about due to accidental drowning. Dennis Davern identified Natalie's body and stated that she looked like she had been in a boxing ring, and the re-examination of her autopsy has confirmed that as fact. She was beaten before she ended up in the water, and was in all likelihood unconscious. Drowning was the very fate she had feared all her life, and the very person who was supposed to love her and protect her caused her the very fate that she was terrified of. It may or may not have been pre-meditated, but like Jeffrey MacDonald, Wagner made the decision to not to stop his actions and came up with story to try to conceal his involvement. This is a homicide investigation, and I have a source who keeps me and a few others updated on the progress of the case. The fact that Wagner has been named "a person of interest" is a small step in the right direction.

His "charmed life" is starting to show signs of tarnish, and it's long overdue.

I completely agree.

Dennis Davern's story has never changed and has tried for years to get justice for Natalie. They just recently did secret testing to establish if Dennis could have heard the commotion. It was verified that what Dennis has been saying all along was true. I never doubted his version and respect his courage and determination in trying to get Natalie's killer out of the shadows and into the light.

I have always thought that foul play was at work and had my eye squarely on Wagner from the start. Very glad to see his cage being rattled. I want to see him give solid proof that he is innocent. Until that time, my heart says Robert Wagner is involved and he's the only one I feel is.

Just took part of your post because of the Christopher Walken section.

You are correct, that's definitely the case. Glad to see this pointed out.

I always felt the issue between Wagner and Natalie that night was because of Christopher and it got out of control. Wagner got mad because, in his mind, they were acting inappropriately but to Natalie, she was entertaining their friend/guest. There may be other underlying factors as well, but on the surface that's how I view it happening.

Happens many times if alcohol is involved where someone misinterprets interactions between two others. Makes more sense as to why it happened and I believe he is the innocent friend/guest that ended being the motive. That's the only connection I think Christopher is part of and I could be completely wrong about him being the motive. I believe he is innocent but that he knows a lot more about it.

It's almost like split teams. Wagner and Christopher vs Dennis and Natalie. We need a tie-breaker here and I'm looking at Christopher to speak up about what really happened. This surely has to haunt him...

I completely agree.

Dennis Davern's story has never changed and has tried for years to get justice for Natalie. They just recently did secret testing to establish if Dennis could have heard the commotion. It was verified that what Dennis has been saying all along was true. I never doubted his version and respect his courage and determination in trying to get Natalie's killer out of the shadows and into the light.

I have always thought that foul play was at work and had my eye squarely on Wagner from the start. Very glad to see his cage being rattled. I want to see him give solid proof that he is innocent. Until that time, my heart says Robert Wagner is involved and he's the only one I feel is.

I co-sign this. :goodpost: Dennis Davern has been criticized and attacked for years, and has been accused of exploiting Natalie's death for financial gain. That couldn't be farther from the truth. He owns and operates a successful business in Florida and has never asked or demanded money from Wagner. Wagner and his supporters try to make Lana Wood out to be a money-hungry fame seeker as well and that is just not true. She did not receive any money from Natalie's will other than financial funds for the care of their mother, Maria. Lana has struggled for years to make ends meet, as she discovered that Wagner has done everything in his power to make sure that she could not find work in the entertainment industry. A few things have come up for her, but she hasn't really worked with much regularity in the industry since Natalie died. She was the co-producer of the television miniseries "The Mystery Of Natalie Wood" (2004) which was based on the book "Natasha: The Mystery Of Natalie Wood" by Suzanne Finstad. Unfortunately, they couldn't end the miniseries the way the book ended as Wagner's attorneys were constantly interrupting production, threatening lawsuits. So it ended with Natalie dying accidently, but the portrayal of Wagner and his behavior on that night was not flattering, to say the least.

Davern has put himself through every test imaginable in order for the truth to come out and for Natalie to receive justice. He has more than gone the distance in my opinion and deserves respect for all he has done.

Christopher Walken should have spoken up years ago; in maintaining his silence for as long as he did "out of respect for the family" he in fact enabled the situation, whether that was his intention or not. But he didn't kill Natalie. He has, however, spoken with the LASD investigators since the case was reopened.

After all these years, there are still people who tiptoe around Wagner as if he's still some grieving widower. Never mind he moved on extremely quickly (I still think he was seeing Jill St. John before Natalie died), when he had two small children coping with the loss of their mother. Natasha has stated tellingly that she views her father Richard Gregson's wife, Julia, to be her stepmother and not Jill St. John. She said that Jill was only there for Wagner and that she and Courtney were not close to her when they were growing up. As I said before, Wagner is utterly selfish. All he cares about is his image and his "charmed life". If he were truly innocent, he would want things to be cleared up and he would want to know what happened to Natalie. But he doesn't want that because he does know and that he is guilty of murder.

I was born in 1979, so I didn't become aware of Natalie until I was a teenager, when I saw some of her movies on television. The more I learned about her and her life and death, the more convinced I became that her death was not an accident. Wagner's behavior and words have only confirmed my suspicions. Despite his supposedly affable exterior, he has a very jealous side, especially when alcohol is in the equation. And you can tell by looking at him now that he drank heavily for years (note his huge, bloated alcoholic head and ruddy complexion). As I stated earlier, he has aged so much since the reopening of the case, and I really can't wait for him to be exposed for the lying murderer that he is.

Speaking of Jill St. John, she became a couple with Wagner just a year after Natalie's death. And she was a close friend of Natalie's? Now *that* is creepy and highly suspect, IMO. At minimum, extremely tacky.

Speaking of Jill St. John, she became a couple with Wagner just a year after Natalie's death. And she was a close friend of Natalie's? Now *that* is creepy and highly suspect, IMO. At minimum, extremely tacky.

I don't think so at all. Men don't like to be alone when they have been in love for a long time. I think that is perfectly normal.

Wagner was seen out with Jill St. John on Valentine's Day, 1982, a mere ten weeks after Natalie's death. He always claims that he didn't start seeing her until six months later. Another lie.

Natalie and Jill were never close friends. She, St. John and Stefanie Powers attended the same ballet class as kids, nothing more.

Agreed, just adds another twist to it.

natchild0217097ad74ece61163462d8233ba60c_zpssih5u66m.jpg

nat50stoweltumblr_nje9aqtG5v1rhnolgo1_1280_zpsxbaf20e8.jpg

nat60scolorcandidyellowoutsideKGrHqRHJBQFJOGz4FgKBSZ468Zw60_57_zps4poq0uy8.jpg

natoldertumblr_lg5oroKugh1qce882o1_500_zpsn4t1pgfp.jpg

"Tomorrow Is Forever" (1945) with Orson Welles
natchildorsonwellestomorrowisforever0dbccb4e15e0a8c441294d77f94b0901_zpslfvjxj1v.jpg

With James Dean on the set of "Rebel Without A Cause" (1955)
NatJimmy2_zpssrd7if7a.jpg

With Steve McQueen during filming of "Love With The Proper Stranger" (1963)
natlwtpssteve10488208_451126781695888_8858761308516808969_n_zpslrcn2qw1.jpg

With her father Nick, mother Maria and sister Lana in 1964:
NatNickLanaMaria_zpsxizx9tqb.jpg

Natalie and Lana
natlanatransparencycolor_12_zps0erpf9qf.jpg

natlana208146075_o_zpsqt607qjx.jpg

natlanatumblr_lpwoz5QVyR1qafm1vo1_500_zpsi6vqizw9.jpg

With her daughters Natasha and Courtney
Natgirls_case_reopen_zpsuyjcw71w.jpg

natgirlstumblr_ni4qyn8Qwe1rhnolgo1_1280_zpsfwcsvt59.jpg

natgirlsl_7fa555ff3b4947309de391e60715023a_zpslja6zfbq.jpg

Nothing has been proven and the fact that you state your opinions of what happened that night do not turn those opinions into fact.

You think Wagner intentionally killed Natalie. That is most certainly your right, but it does not make anyone else's theory "garbage" and if it was "proven" false, why hasn't Wagner been charged?

Nothing has been proven and the fact that you state your opinions of what happened that night do not turn those opinions into fact.

You think Wagner intentionally killed Natalie. That is most certainly your right, but it does not make anyone else's theory "garbage" and if it was "proven" false, why hasn't Wagner been charged?

Go back and read my other post. She was not drunk. The re-examination of her autopsy report concluded that the bruises she sustained were not due to accidental drowning. It is being investigated as a homicide. Robert Wagner has lied since that night. He still says he went down to their bedroom to find Natalie missing, when in fact witnesses overheard them having a loud argument on the deck. Notice he's never mentioned that. His refusal to cooperate with authorities has aroused suspicion, and now he's been named "a person of interest". That is progress and it will continue. Re-investigating cold cases can take quite a while, this case is no exception.

Thank you Noirdame79 for posting the pictures of Natalie with her co-stars and family. The photos with her daughters... well, that just breaks my heart. As a mother I am sure they were the loves of her life. I am so saddened to learn they have been kept from Natalie's beloved sister and family. IF it was an accident- how can that be right?

Let me just add that NOTHING justifies his delay in calling for help - again, if he's so innocent, why did he wait over three hours to notify the Coast Guard? Why did he contact his attorney first? Natalie was afraid of water and could barely swim. When the police asked him back in 1981 why he waited to get help for her, his answer was "I thought she was off partying on one of the other boats because that's the kind of woman she is." Are you kidding me? Does that sound like a concerned husband? He had Gavin Lambert claim in "Natalie Wood: A Life" that Natalie's liver was compromised (supposedly by drinking) when her autopsy showed her liver was completely healthy. Basically, he has tried to shift blame onto Natalie for her own death. And who moves on as quickly as Wagner did? He was with Jill St. John much earlier than he claims (publicly out with her ten weeks after Natalie's death), and Natalie's daughter Natasha said that Jill played no part in raising her and her sister, that Jill was only there for Wagner. What kind of "father" puts his own needs ahead of that of his children after such a tragedy? And who uses his own daughter in the media for damage control?

And Wagner gave himself away when in an interview with Charlie Rose he stated that Natalie "rolled" into the water. Falling and rolling are not even remotely the same.

Again, if Wagner were innocent, he would have no problem cooperating and would want the truth to be known. Only the guilty refuse to talk for fear of incriminating themselves.

Thank you for posting the pictures of Natalie with her co-stars and family. The photos with her daughters... well, that just breaks my heart. As a mother I am sure they were the loves of her life. I am so saddened to learn they have been kept from Natalie's beloved sister and family. IF it was an accident- how can that be right?

Wagner never really cared for Natalie's family; I think he looked down on them, but as long as Natalie was alive he had no say about them having contact with the girls. Natalie's mother Maria did see Natasha and Courtney occasionally after Natalie died but not as often as she would have liked to. She was so terrified that he would cut her out of her granddaughters' lives that she pretty much clammed up around them. Lana was cut off completely, although Maria would sometimes take Lana's daughter Evan to see her cousins. Natasha now has a daughter of her own, named Clover (after Natalie's movie "Inside Daisy Clover") but Lana has never seen her grand-niece, and Evan's children do not see Natasha or Clover either. Wagner turned the girls against Lana, and told Natasha to "stay away from your crazy aunt!". How horrible. Of course, the girls could have learned more about their mother had they been allowed to spend time with Natalie's family, but Wagner didn't want that. He wanted the girls to see things his way, to not question him and to have control over who could be a part of their lives. I can only imagine the lies they have been told since their mother died. So sad, and so selfish of Wagner.

Natalie and baby Natasha
natnatashababy_zps4vc9nalw.jpg

Natasha and her daughter Clover
clovernatasha10402717_10152467581081085_5782276055718907522_n_zpstyod9ymz.jpg

Natalie and Courtney
natcourtl_b6c895ffe8004448a90a5e02a85642a4_zps00teiuqm.jpg

Natasha and Evan (Lana's daughter)
natashaevanInProfileNatalieWood-WJVDT42WDsl_zpsagvugtrn.jpg

Natalie and her father, Nick
Natfahddad_zpsc5kekesk.jpg

Publicity photo for "Gypsy" (1962)
natgyspypearls_zps4nl8t55f.jpg

Natalie and Lana
natlanatumblr_nhyjsnT7hT1s38j3jo1_400_zps89nte1we.png

natlana25f3_1_zpsifxjl60j.jpg

natlanaohlcv9znnvksnzvc_zpsihahvqkk.jpg

With Tony Curtis in "Sex And The Single Girl" (1964)
nattonyarjbtyziql7atbza_zpsf35s320j.jpg

"Splendor In The Grass" (1961) with Warren Beatty
natsplendor1468_1_sbol_zpsucujdahr.jpg

Thank you Noirdame79 for posting the pictures of Natalie with her co-stars and family. The photos with her daughters... well, that just breaks my heart. As a mother I am sure they were the loves of her life. I am so saddened to learn they have been kept from Natalie's beloved sister and family. IF it was an accident- how can that be right?

I second this..thank you so much for the photos. They are beautiful.

Wagner never really cared for Natalie's family; I think he looked down on them, but as long as Natalie was alive he had no say about them having contact with the girls. Natalie's mother Maria did see Natasha and Courtney occasionally after Natalie died but not as often as she would have liked to. She was so terrified that he would cut her out of her granddaughters' lives that she pretty much clammed up around them. Lana was cut off completely, although Maria would sometimes take Lana's daughter Evan to see her cousins. Natasha now has a daughter of her own, named Clover (after Natalie's movie "Inside Daisy Clover") but Lana has never seen her grand-niece, and Evan's children do not see Natasha or Clover either. Wagner turned the girls against Lana, and told Natasha to "stay away from your crazy aunt!". How horrible. Of course, the girls could have learned more about their mother had they been allowed to spend time with Natalie's family, but Wagner didn't want that. He wanted the girls to see things his way, to not question him and to have control over who could be a part of their lives. I can only imagine the lies they have been told since their mother died. So sad, and so selfish of Wagner.

This also happened with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. She hated his family and refused to have anything to do with them. Over time it put a strain on the families and they lost all contact with Paul because of her. My husband is related to Paul Newman and I ask him a lot about Paul. His family doesn't speak highly about Joanne and said Paul changed after getting involved with her.

Thank you so much for the information. I believe he wanted Natalie out of the way but didn't want to deal with a divorce and that night on the boat filled his agenda. He used Christopher Walken as his scapegoat and possibly the final motive to get rid of Natalie. In my mind, he planned to get rid of her prior to that boat trip but needed the right setting and circumstances to get away with it. Guess he underestimated Dennis...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time
Back