CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do understand your point, Chewy when it comes to the Captain's responsibilities.

If he is charged because he failed in his duties........then so be it. However that doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth about what happened.

IMO

Hmph :banghead: Not aimed at you but I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.

THE CAPTAIN IS LIABLE BECAUSE HE DIDN'T CALL THE COAST GUARD HIMSELF AND BECAUSE HE WAS OPERATING THE BOAT TRASHED OUT OF HIS MIND.

If this wasn't a sensational Hollywood story I think everyone would see the issue here.

Imagine you went on a party cruise with a bunch of girlfriends and two guys got in a fight and started punching each other and whoops one of the girls gets knocked overboard.

What would the captain of the boat do?

He's sling back some drinks and just wait around until one of the guys told him what to do?

He's a CAPTAIN that title gives him certain liabilities and ethical and legal responsibilities.

He is blaming it on RW. Even if RW got in a fight and tossed her over the side, why didn't the captain call the coast guard?

A person is missing from your boat and the dingy is gone and she's drunk, you don't wait until morning.

And I hope he gets totally nailed for this. :twocents:

I just googled this quickly

http://matadornetwork.com/notebook/how-to-become-a-boat-captain/

Chewy, I understand what you are saying. However, in the tv interview he didn't claim to be innocent. He said he made some bad decisions. He said that more than once.

The "real guilty party" is the Captain of the boat who operated the boat drunk out of his mind because he was an alcoholic. He is legally and ethically required to operate that boat not drunk.

He's basically a drunk driver on the open sea. And it's much more dangerous because people CAN and DO fall off boats and drown.

He's been blaming RW as if he's the guilty party here. The only injustice that occurred in this case is that the Captain didn't have his license revoked and get thrown in jail 30 years ago.

So he made money pedaling a book and spent 30 years as a drunk. And I hope they do open the case and he gets arrested.

I'm going to look more into him and his legal liability and post what I can find.

Even if it was not an accident, "star treatment" will stamp out any justice.

bolded by me.

I pretty much agree with you.

He was just so frozen scared in that interview, I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he knows he can be held accountable now. If he is a recovering alcoholic, doing a twelve-step program, he may now realize he was morally wrong for not carrying out his duties as captain of the yacht, and needs to straighten things out before he meets his maker.

Knowing how justice is sometimes meted out, he probably will be held accountable and the real guilty party (being affluent) will walk. He knew he was taking a huge risk and that's why he was so scared,almost too scared to talk.

Yes, he is taking a huge risk and I think as you do. Sometimes in life a person can no longer hide the truth and feels compelled to come forward even after many years has passed.

It does happen. I saw an A&E case where a woman said nothing for 26 years about a murder she witnessed but finally couldn't live with the secret anymore. She said all those years she never told anyone because she was afraid to come forward.

Maybe the Captain just couldn't live with himself any longer.

IMO

It makes sense to me that RW didn't want to call the coast guard right away. They had a fight, she said she was leaving or something like that. He calls the coast guard it's all over the news.

So I can understand RW not quite realizing it was a problem. But again, the captain should have over rode him.

Just think of it as if Natalie Wood was your daughter. Imagine the Yacht captain telling you that he was drunk out of his mind "plastered" and that the other guy told him not to do anything so he didn't.

I think people would want the guy to fry if your child died and this is the guys response. And "owning up" to poor "decisions" is not exactly accepting responsibility for gross negligence that lead to the death of your passenger.

I think he's disgusting.

Yes, the Capt is disgusting, etc, etc. With that said, I'm more interested in the actual events leading to Wood's death.

I don't think the Captain is going to bring this up again if he feels it is anything to do with him, he would be stupid if he did . To me it takes some guts to for him to want to get this sorted , lets hope they do. Some new evidence maybe from other people has come to light.

I think that Robert Wagner is creepy in those commercials he does and seems smarmy.

I would not be surprised to see he is responsible for Natalie's death.

I don't think the Captain is going to bring this up again if he feels it is anything to do with him, he would be stupid if he did . To me it takes some guts to for him to want to get this sorted , lets hope they do. Some new evidence maybe from other people has come to light.

Why not? He already published a book about it and got away with it?

He seems to be on the path of "confession" which is what a lot of recovering alcoholics do, they go around making amends. Except in this case even if everything he is saying is 100 percent true, it still doesn't point to RW as having anything to do with her death.

It points to a couple that had a stormy relationship having a fight, she storms off and he doesn't take it seriously until it was too late. Where was Walken during this whole thing? Couldn't have seemed that serious to them.

But as a captain he is supposed to be responsible.

Put it this way, if he wasn't the captain I bet she would still be alive today. If you changed only his actions in all of this, she would still be alive.

And if this wasn't such a Hollywood drama, people would realize the truth.

:twocents:

It makes sense to me that RW didn't want to call the coast guard right away. They had a fight, she said she was leaving or something like that. He calls the coast guard it's all over the news.

So I can understand RW not quite realizing it was a problem. But again, the captain should have over rode him.

Just think of it as if Natalie Wood was your daughter. Imagine the Yacht captain telling you that he was drunk out of his mind "plastered" and that the other guy told him not to do anything so he didn't.

I think people would want the guy to fry if your child died and this is the guys response. And "owning up" to poor "decisions" is not exactly accepting responsibility for gross negligence that lead to the death of your passenger.

I think he's disgusting.

While he may have had part in what happened I do not think he is the only guilty party.

Who gives a darn if it is Natalie Wood or Joe Schmo? RJs wife was missing from the boat. He too had just as much responsibility as the Captain who took orders from RJ. He was not only the Captain he was a close friend of RJs.

I don't think the Captain was the one who put this in play. Imo, I think Natalie and RJ were in a heated argument and he physically attacked her while out on the deck probably when she ran from their bedroom where things were heard being slammed around. May have even slapped her hard knocking her over into the water. The side of the boat is not that high at all.

So while he may hold some responsibility his boss does too and believe me this Captain at the time followed orders from his rich millionaire boss. Was he wrong to do that? Yes, and so was RJ for waiting hours to even call anyone.

How old was this Captain at the time?

IMO

Old enough to be a Captain, what not we'll do that too, we'll say if a Police Officer is young and is remiss in his legal duty, awww shucks, no problem, he was just a kid.

I do not believe that RW would have slapped her. There is no evidence of him abusing her in the past. And even Lana Wood stated Natalie was the love of his life. If he shoved her overboard she would have screamed RIGHT? The captain said he heard all the fighting, so someone would have heard her scream if he shoved her overboard.

RW has not ever had a bad word said about him. He's not like OJ. Yes he was jealous, but I believe him when he wrote that it was because Walken was pushing her to focus on her career, RW liked having her home. RW cheated on his wives and seemed insecure in the face of NWs career. YES

But that doesn't make a murderer. It doesn't turn him into someone who would deliberately let his wife drown. I mean come on.

However alcoholics do tend to make terrible decisions that haunt them for the rest of their lives. And it didn't scare this guy straight. Not only did he contribute to this woman's death he actually made money off of it.

That is what disgusts me the most.

I hold everyone responsible on that boat for NW death. That was not a huge boat. Everyone heard the argument. When NW voice went quiet, and she could not be found --- why didn't all men take this search seriously? Why wasn't CW on deck looking for her too? Why would RW think she would take a boat to shore if she was so afraid of the water. Just doesn't make sense. The fact that RW didn't want to turn on the search lights is very concerning........

Why not? He already published a book about it and got away with it?

He seems to be on the path of "confession" which is what a lot of recovering alcoholics do, they go around making amends. Except in this case even if everything he is saying is 100 percent true, it still doesn't point to RW as having anything to do with her death.

It points to a couple that had a stormy relationship having a fight, she storms off and he doesn't take it seriously until it was too late. Where was Walken during this whole thing? Couldn't have seemed that serious to them.

But as a captain he is supposed to be responsible.

Put it this way, if he wasn't the captain I bet she would still be alive today. If you changed only his actions in all of this, she would still be alive.

And if this wasn't such a Hollywood drama, people would realize the truth.

:twocents:

bbm: huh?? Sorry but you seem to take this more personally than most of us.

RJ has admitted standing outside Warren Beatty's door with a gun.
That seems a little extreme!!

I'm not taking it personally I just find it really amusing that everyone is just sucking up what this man is saying simply because it's a true Hollywood story.

That's why I keep asking people to consider if this man did this to your child, would you say "hey you know, he's the nice guy here."

His story doesn't make sense. If RW killed NW by throwing her overboard she'd have screamed. Everyone is ignoring this. She was alive when she was in the water, the autopsy showed that. Probably she hit her head and fell in and her down jacket kept her up for a while as she drifted and then it waterlogged and pulled her over.

This is an older man who has lost the love of his life. her daughter is completely devastated by her mother's death. Their children are devastated and everyone is treating it like it's some greedy story.

The Captain's story even as he straight up tells it, doesn't point to foul play, it points to two people pissed off at each other and one storms off and the other one is like "Well screw you, I'm not begging you to stay or running after you." Seems like she blew him off and he resented the crap out of her for doing it.

If they had a huge fight with lots of violence I'm very sure that CW would have intervened. And they were in the middle of filming a movie, these are Hollywood, I doubt he'd have punched her in the face. etc.

The captain though, in saying that he thought they were having some sort of scary fight and were drunk, turned up his radio really loud to drown out the music. Then he can't find his passenger and he decided to drink a lot more.

I think the thing that ticks me off the most is that he actually tried to blame RW for making him drink. He said he was pouring me all these drinks. As if it's RW's responsibility to control what he drinks.

I am sure that if your child (god forbid) drowned by falling off a boat after a fight with her boyfriend and the Captain didn't do anything and sat around drinking the night away, you'd hold him liable.

Wagner is responsible for not realizing the seriousness of the situation. But neither did CW so that makes me think it didn't look that bad.

But the captain of a boat has a legal obligation to follow procedure, and he didn't. And that is why she is dead.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selaynehunter
Back