CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thinking empathetically, I find it difficult to understand how anyone could think that just becuz it happened a long time ago, that whatever happened doesn't matter now.

If Natalie was your mother/sister/daughter/friend/grand-daughter/lover/wife/cousin/aunt/you get my drift, what would you want? :waitasec:

I never said it doesn't matter.

Please read my post again.

It's about lack of evidence.

bolded by me.

Actually, on page 146 of Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour, Davern states that when he and CW left the restaurant and went back to the Splendour to get two bottles of Soave Bolla and bring them back to the restaurant (RJ was not happy with the restaurant's wine selection), CW asked Dennis if he wanted to smoke a joint and he said "sure". So I guess that Dennis and CW smoked a joint that evening. Interestingly, CW said he hoped they didn't need two bottles because he hoped the evening wouldn't last that long.

Thanks for the correction, Columbo. I had forgotten about the pot smoking with CW.

BTW, the second bottle of Soave Bolla was left in the dinghy.

Soave Bolla sure seemed to be their wine of choice. The slogan: "There are almost as many people in love with Soave Bolla as there are people in love." Here's a 1979 Soave Bolla commercial:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_nhAFWEIg"]Soave Bolla Wine Commercial (April 2, 1979) - YouTube[/ame]

I've been up far too late, no sense in going to bed now, as I've been reading old newspaper accounts at GenealogyBank. A link won't help if you don't have a subscription.

Marilyn Wayne, the woman on the yacht Capricorn, said she heard a woman cries at 11:45 pm Saturday. The cries lasted until 12:10 am Sunday. They were coming from the direction of the Wood/Wagner yacht Splendour. Their yachts were moored about 150-feet apart in Isthmus Cove on Santa Catalina Island's north side, according to Harbor Master Doug Oudin. Only one other boat was nearby, although 75 to 80 were moored in the cove Saturday night, said Oudin.

After Ms Wayne heard someone say, "We're coming to get you", she went back to sleep.

paraphrased

The Augusta Chronicle
Augusta, Georgia
Friday Morning, 4 December 1981
"Boater says screams heard before Natalie Wood's death"
Can't make out the page number

Are these the times she is saying? I thought she is now saying they were earlier and the screams lasted longer?

About these "boaters". How could they ignore cries for help? Cries which lasted 25 minutes, according to this report? Even if they heard someone say they were going to help, how could these "ear witnesses" ignore the situation?

I've been around water and boats my whole life, including boats where parties were going on, and I know one thing a boater never should ignore is someone's cry for help, especially from someone in the water!!! Why did they not turn on their search lights and really take a good look? Or any lights? A flashlight? Why not search that water to be sure someone was assisting the person in trouble? Why not call the Coast Guard or Harbor Master repeatedly until help showed up? No, they just went to bed. Talk about negligence!

So we've got a "captain", other boaters, the husband/boat owner, and no one lifts a finger, or a leg to jump in, to check on this woman who is overboard? They couldn't even toss in a life preserver? Have those people never learned water and boat safety? Come on!

(respectfully snipped)

According to Marilyn Wayne's statement and her account in GNGS, after hearing the cries, they turned on the the boat's beam light and went out on deck to to see if they could spot the person in the water. They called the Harbor Master and got no answer. They then called the Sheriff's office and were told a helicopter would be sent.

Marilyn wanted to jump in the water and swim out to the woman, but her fiancé told her that would be too dangerous. The boat's dinghy was deflated and stored, and would have taken too long to inflate.

The cries stopped not long after they heard the man's voice saying "Oh, hold on, we’re coming to get you" -- so they assumed the woman had been rescued. They also heard the music.

However, the time has changed from this newspaper account (good find!). Marilyn now says the cries began around 11 p.m. and lasted about 15 minutes. She says her son looked at his new digital watch right when they began hearing the cries.

This is also very interesting and I'm sure no one is going to care because it's not salacious gossip, but even though IT WAS CALLED IN.....no one showed up.

So the point as to whether or not she would have been rescued is moot. People did call it in. I would think this has more to do with the case being reopened than the Captain's statements. Why wasn't help sent?

This is also very interesting and I'm sure no one is going to care because it's not salacious gossip, but even though IT WAS CALLED IN.....no one showed up.

So the point as to whether or not she would have been rescued is moot. People did call it in. I would think this has more to do with the case being reopened than the Captain's statements. Why wasn't help sent?

No one showed up. Indeed. The ear witnesses said they called. The folks on the Splendour said they called. Yet no one showed up for a long while. Strange.

There were just too many odd things happening that night. It's cases like this that make me wonder if Destiny was at work. Too many things against the poor woman. Is this what is meant by "her/his time to go"? Eerie.

I just wish this case had been looked into more closely in 1981 and the people in the mix had been completely honest, less drunk, less lazy, more "let's do something" rather than so much "laissez-faire" and "c'est la vie!".

Here's the article I was talking about. You may have to strain to read it. Let's see if it works...

Augusta Chronicle
4 December 1981

AugustaChronicle_4Dec1981.jpg

You know I wonder if the woman called it in at all. I was thinking that it seems weird that they would say they were going to send a helicopter and then didn't and they just went back to bed.

1. Standard procedure doesn't require helicopters, it was an isthmus. I'm pretty sure the standard response would be to contact nearby boats and ask for assistance. This is what happened during the Sully Landing in the East River.

2. Why would you "go back to bed" if you thought a helicopter was coming, surely a helicopter coming down that low would be making all kinds of noise and it would wake you up, so you'd be filled with excited energy and probably not go to sleep at all.

Excited energy. Adrenalin pumping. Exactly. And wouldn't the ear witnesses have wanted to stay alert so they could maybe direct or somehow assist the arriving crew as to where the shouts were coming from? No matter how they arrived, by boat or by air, someone should have wanted to greet them. Hinky, shall we say?

It's as though the whole thing played out like a Seinfeld episode:

Woman overboard!

"Ah. That's a shame."

All very odd -- anyone serious about getting help (and how could anyone not be, especially her husband, boat captain and neighbor/witness to cries for help from the water) would have called repeatedly to get it -- hell, I would probably have jumped in after 3 drinks and I haven't had Lifesaving classes since I was a teenager and am out of shape).

Could the rescue procedure have been stopped by someone for some reason? Don't flame me, just exploring...

Eve

All very odd -- anyone serious about getting help (and how could anyone not be, especially her husband, boat captain and neighbor/witness to cries for help from the water) would have called repeatedly to get it -- hell, I would probably have jumped in after 3 drinks and I haven't had Lifesaving classes since I was a teenager and am out of shape).

Could the rescue procedure have been stopped by someone for some reason? Don't flame me, just exploring...

Eve
not flaming you and not picking on you, so just bear with me here. But this is what has happened with the whole issue. Conspiracy theories instead of realizing someone is probably "misremembering." That's what the whole story has been.

So hinky meeter, we're woken up on a boat by someone screaming she's drowning. We hear (according to her testimony) a drunken voice slur that "we're coming to get you" we don't hear THAT guy say anything else, never see a light turn on and listen to a woman screaming in the water for 15 minutes. We call harbor patrol and they say they are sending a helicopter, we turn on our spotlight and don't see hear, though we keep hearing her scream.

And then we go back to bed.

So it's a "conspiracy" that stopped someone from sending help, (let me guess RW paid them off as well because obviously if someone throws money at you your morals go right out the window)

ORRR
maybe the people are lying. Maybe they heard something and woke up and went back to sleep. Maybe it was NW and RW screaming on the boat at each other. The next day it suddenly turns into a media story so they go with it.

I think both the other boat and the captain are lying. Neither of their stories are corroborated by the evidence and even their stories when matched up don't back each other up.

:twocents:

Chewy, I'll go you one better. I believe everyone is lying about that night. What were they doing, individually or together, that a lie is better than the truth? What was going on in Isthmus Cove that night?

not flaming you and not picking on you, so just bear with me here. But this is what has happened with the whole issue. Conspiracy theories instead of realizing someone is probably "misremembering." That's what the whole story has been.

So hinky meeter, we're woken up on a boat by someone screaming she's drowning. We hear (according to her testimony) a drunken voice slur that "we're coming to get you" we don't hear THAT guy say anything else, never see a light turn on and listen to a woman screaming in the water for 15 minutes. We call harbor patrol and they say they are sending a helicopter, we turn on our spotlight and don't see hear, though we keep hearing her scream.

And then we go back to bed.

So it's a "conspiracy" that stopped someone from sending help, (let me guess RW paid them off as well because obviously if someone throws money at you your morals go right out the window)

ORRR
maybe the people are lying. Maybe they heard something and woke up and went back to sleep. Maybe it was NW and RW screaming on the boat at each other. The next day it suddenly turns into a media story so they go with it.

I think both the other boat and the captain are lying. Neither of their stories are corroborated by the evidence and even their stories when matched up don't back each other up.

:twocents:

But you think RW is telling the truth?

Why does he get a pass? The one with the most obvious motive for lying, imo.

I think the captain lied back then. His book came out two years ago, I don't know that money is a very big motive for him today. Not considering the price he pays personally by admitting his shoddy performance of duties and lack of ethics that night. Who would want that kind of publicity?

The other boat? Certainly appeared to acquiesce easily -- went back to bed when no response to their help call, just "believed" slurred "We're coming to get you," and if story is true, caved when got a threatening note and when saw RW in person at a restaurant. So, 30 years ago the couple on this boat were not very persistent about getting help, possible fearful, likely star-struck...yes, they/she may be lying. But why?

How do we know what lines up when we have no baseline truth? I don't understand how you "line up" any of this evidence when we don't know what is true and what isn't. We don't even have a factual timeline, do we?

Why didn't any of these people get help when there was a chance to save her? Why didn't Rescue respond to the neighbor boat's call? When precisely did the Splendour call for help? We know when she was pulled out of the water, appears to be over 5 hours after she was noticed missing by RW, captain and after cries heard by boat.

If help didn't come, why wouldn't all involved, especially her husband, move heaven and earth to keep seeking help?

I just don't see how RW is exempt from same level of scrutiny as that on captain and neighboring boat. RW is the one who should have cared the MOST.

Eve

Actually I don't consider RW's version of events at all when I am examining the evidence. I usually try to point that out when I'm posting.

I'm only looking at the Captain's testimony and how it is corroborated with other testimony excluding RW.

As you say, RW has the most reason to lie.

But when you put down everything the captain is saying it doesn't add up. When you look at bits and pieces of the story then it sounds eerie but the details he mentions are not corroborated by the evidence and other testimony EXCLUDING RWs testimony.

CW does not back up what the captain says. So let me guess, he's in on it as well.

DD says NW was on the deck fighting with RW and he saw her in her nightgown. He also says it was rainy. CW confirms this.

So she's on the deck fighting with RW in the rain? DD says she's in her nightgown but she was found in a down jacket.

DD says that RW acted like she went to shore, which is why he didn't do anything. Then he says he knew right away she was missing and needed help and RW insisted he not turn on the spotlight. Well which is it?

The other boat says they heard someone drunkenly slur "don't worry we're coming to get you" Neither RW or DD say that. So which is it?

Also if they heard someone drunkenly slur it and not anything else, why not call out to the other boat and ask if they need help.

I mean common sense, you hear someone drowning, you hear someone say they are coming, wouldn't you call out to the other boat "I hear her over here, she's here somewhere!"

Wouldn't you try to help the other person, especially if they sounded "drunk"

You call the coast guard twice an shine your spotlight but you never call out to the woman in the water? You never call out to the other boat.

You just go back to bed?

CW wasn't on lude like everyone said, he smoked pot. He went to his cabin after fighting with RW (which means your energy is probably peaked) then you fall asleep immediately while someone is screaming at his wife so loud that the captain had to blast the radio in order to cover up the sound? DD says he heard banging and thumping but CW doesn't back that up either.

NW is going to go try to fix the dingy herself when the captain is wide awake with his radio blasting?

Ok the radio is blasting but NW is trying to tie up the dingy because the bumping is keeping her awake? What about the radio blasting?

If you put down all the details it doesn't make sense. If NW was afraid of water why wouldn't she ask RW or the Captain to tie up the dingy? Who would she most likely go to? It was the Captain's job and he was obviously awake and she had just fought with RW. I would think she would have gone to the captain.

Let's look at what does line up. RW and CW were fighting after NW went to bed. They both confirm this. They say they were on the deck fighting but then cooled down and went to bed.

Perhaps the Captain thought it was NW and RW fighting but it was really CW and RW. The other boat doesn't report hearing fighting at all, but they do report hearing the music.

So what does that mean? Well maybe the tension between RW and CW annoyed DD an so he goes in and turns up the radio.

Then Natalie Wood comes to the deck and what? She wants to go to shore? She's wearing a nightgown and socks under the down jacket. That doesn't make any sense.

DD admits to giving quaaludes to RW and NW. He admits to smoking pot with CW. The guy is drunk, NW can't sleep, it's raining so she puts on the jacket. She comes to DD to get ludes. The guy makes a move on her and she freaks out and runs. This would explain the bruises on her legs which are very common on boat passengers.

She's mad at all of them and decides to go to shore or just to get away from the captain. She falls over board. She's in the water crying for help. The captain is the one who says "Don't worry we're coming to get you."

Then either he does nothing or blacks out. RW finds him and says NW is missing. Maybe because of the black out he doesn't remember what transpired but he's getting a creepy feeling about it because somewhere in his mind he knows something is wrong.

RW is mad, and tells him he thinks NW took off to embarass and humiliate him. So he doesn't go after her, expecting her to show back up, like he's not going to go crawling after her.

Then he realizes something is really wrong and he contacts the shore and then it goes from there.

Honestly the evidence matches up much more to that scenario than it does to DDs story.

And why tell it? Because Lana Wood pestered him for years to tell her what "really happened" on the boat. Either he doesn't remember or he suddenly does remember. And so to cast suspicion away from himself he points at RW giving Lana exactly what she wants.

DD also worked at the lot that RW worked at, and it would have been very easy for HIM to stick that note in the mailbox. I think that note will be the key.

This is from the Dallas Morning News, Friday, 4 December 1981.

Note the timeline is in agreement with the previous article I posted.

One problem is the confused the relationship of daughters Katie and Courtney, claiming Courtney is the step-daughter, when actually it's Katie (Katherine). This article doesn't mention that Natalie left her furs and clothing to her sister Lana, and some cash to their older sister, Olga. Natalie's father died in November 1980.

DallasMorningNews_4Dec1981.jpg

People wonder where Natalie's bruises came from, saying if she fell into the water they wouldn't come from the water. Couldn't she have banged herself while perhaps struggling with the dinghy, or possibly even when she fell, hitting the side of the boat? Could she not have already had bruises from earlier, perhaps even from the night before? Or maybe from getting in and out of the dinghy that day?

I'm rather covered with bruises today from a fall I took last night through no one else's fault. I know I've banged myself up many times climbing in and out of our boats, why not bruises from a dinghy?

If RJW and NW had a fight, maybe he wasn't eager to follow her, thinking she stormed off in a huff. Yes, she was afraid of the dark water, but she was on a yacht, in rainy weather. People do strange things when they are upset. In a way, I can relate to his initial reaction, if true.

I also wonder exactly what was up with NW and the young "captain". After seeing his picture, I realized he was much younger than I thought, and certainly nothing like the skipper of Gilligan's Island, like I originally thought. NW and the captain actually shared a hotel room! :eek: Okeedokee.

Actually I don't consider RW's version of events at all when I am examining the evidence. I usually try to point that out when I'm posting.

I'm only looking at the Captain's testimony and how it is corroborated with other testimony excluding RW.

As you say, RW has the most reason to lie.

But when you put down everything the captain is saying it doesn't add up. When you look at bits and pieces of the story then it sounds eerie but the details he mentions are not corroborated by the evidence and other testimony EXCLUDING RWs testimony.

CW does not back up what the captain says. So let me guess, he's in on it as well.

DD says NW was on the deck fighting with RW and he saw her in her nightgown. He also says it was rainy. CW confirms this.

So she's on the deck fighting with RW in the rain? DD says she's in her nightgown but she was found in a down jacket.

DD says that RW acted like she went to shore, which is why he didn't do anything. Then he says he knew right away she was missing and needed help and RW insisted he not turn on the spotlight. Well which is it?

The other boat says they heard someone drunkenly slur "don't worry we're coming to get you" Neither RW or DD say that. So which is it?

Also if they heard someone drunkenly slur it and not anything else, why not call out to the other boat and ask if they need help.

I mean common sense, you hear someone drowning, you hear someone say they are coming, wouldn't you call out to the other boat "I hear her over here, she's here somewhere!"

Wouldn't you try to help the other person, especially if they sounded "drunk"

You call the coast guard twice an shine your spotlight but you never call out to the woman in the water? You never call out to the other boat.

You just go back to bed?

CW wasn't on lude like everyone said, he smoked pot. He went to his cabin after fighting with RW (which means your energy is probably peaked) then you fall asleep immediately while someone is screaming at his wife so loud that the captain had to blast the radio in order to cover up the sound? DD says he heard banging and thumping but CW doesn't back that up either.

NW is going to go try to fix the dingy herself when the captain is wide awake with his radio blasting?

Ok the radio is blasting but NW is trying to tie up the dingy because the bumping is keeping her awake? What about the radio blasting?

If you put down all the details it doesn't make sense. If NW was afraid of water why wouldn't she ask RW or the Captain to tie up the dingy? Who would she most likely go to? It was the Captain's job and he was obviously awake and she had just fought with RW. I would think she would have gone to the captain.

Let's look at what does line up. RW and CW were fighting after NW went to bed. They both confirm this. They say they were on the deck fighting but then cooled down and went to bed.

Perhaps the Captain thought it was NW and RW fighting but it was really CW and RW. The other boat doesn't report hearing fighting at all, but they do report hearing the music.

So what does that mean? Well maybe the tension between RW and CW annoyed DD an so he goes in and turns up the radio.

Then Natalie Wood comes to the deck and what? She wants to go to shore? She's wearing a nightgown and socks under the down jacket. That doesn't make any sense.

DD admits to giving quaaludes to RW and NW. He admits to smoking pot with CW. The guy is drunk, NW can't sleep, it's raining so she puts on the jacket. She comes to DD to get ludes. The guy makes a move on her and she freaks out and runs. This would explain the bruises on her legs which are very common on boat passengers.

She's mad at all of them and decides to go to shore or just to get away from the captain. She falls over board. She's in the water crying for help. The captain is the one who says "Don't worry we're coming to get you."

Then either he does nothing or blacks out. RW finds him and says NW is missing. Maybe because of the black out he doesn't remember what transpired but he's getting a creepy feeling about it because somewhere in his mind he knows something is wrong.

RW is mad, and tells him he thinks NW took off to embarass and humiliate him. So he doesn't go after her, expecting her to show back up, like he's not going to go crawling after her.

Then he realizes something is really wrong and he contacts the shore and then it goes from there.

Honestly the evidence matches up much more to that scenario than it does to DDs story.

And why tell it? Because Lana Wood pestered him for years to tell her what "really happened" on the boat. Either he doesn't remember or he suddenly does remember. And so to cast suspicion away from himself he points at RW giving Lana exactly what she wants.

DD also worked at the lot that RW worked at, and it would have been very easy for HIM to stick that note in the mailbox. I think that note will be the key.

You make a lot of good points. And I can see your version, in some respects. How about this? RW and CW are fighting. NW goes to bed, upset--annoyed. RW and CW keep arguing until CW next goes to bed. RW goes back to the stateroom/bedroom. Rouses NW, resumes fight. They alternatively wander from the stateroom to the back deck, fighting. He's jealous, drunk, provoking and accusing her. She's not quite as drunk but defensive, perhaps sarcastic or goading, tired of the control freak. She's also nervous on the boat, near the water, and is probably getting volatile. DD hears them, looks and sees her on deck in her nightgown. DD goes down and knocks. RW sends him away, goes back to the deck. DD is worried, but drunk, and used to taking orders. He doesn't want any trouble. NW tries to convince RW to come in. She is getting tired and cold but is still in the game, to some degree still incensed. Part of her is trying to get him to come in, she has anxiety about the water and the scene they are making. She puts on her jacket. DD is blaring the music. CW is either trying to tune it all out or may have passed out/gone to sleep, but he has made up his mind he is up for no more fighting ala Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, he's quartered for the night, maybe smokes a joint and shuts down. Maybe like me, he uses ear plugs.

Something happens and NW goes over. RW is panicky, still furious, feels (and maybe is) responsible but becomes terrified within minutes about the scandal and how he will explain all that ensued. He is in a drunken anguish but delays acknowledging what happened, to anyone, maybe even himself. Eventually, probably when necessary, he tells DD. Figures she is "gone" by now.

The Captain is smashed and weak. Depends on this for his living, is living an unexamined life, wants to get on tv, can't find the nerve to cross RW. Is able to jumble and rationalize his already fuzzy perceptions.

I still think we need a timeline.

Your theory is food for thought. :)

Eve

The book "Natalie,'' written by sister Laura [Lana] Wood after the death of the actress, dismissed rumors about mysterious circumstances surrounding the drowning.

"In the years before she died, the pressures had mounted and Natalie had responded by occasionally drinking too much,'' Laura [Lana] Wood wrote. "What happened is that Natalie drank too much that night. ...

"She slipped, fell, and went into the water, clinging to the side of the dinghy. ... She had struggled, had fought to stay afloat, and was finally pulled under by her down coat.''

From the article:
AFTER 10 YEARS, ACTRESS' DEATH INTRIGUES
Press-Telegram (Long Beach, CA) - Friday, November 29, 1991
Author: Associated Press

Editorial correction of her name made by me.

I don't have a link, but I found it on NewsBank, a subscription site accessed through libraries.

I never read Lana's book, but why is she singing a different tune now? :waitasec: She didn't say in her book that RW tossed her off the side and purposefully left her treading water until it was too late. So why is she making noise all these years later?

It appears to me Ms Wood has changed her story, too. :confused:

To top it off, in the book, "Natasha, The Biography of Natalie Wood" by Suzanne Finstad, it is said in Hollywood, Natalie's mother was described variously as an "ogre," "a disturbed genius" and a "witchlike creature" by people in Tinseltown. Surely this young girl and woman lived an inner tragedy all her life.

You make a lot of good points. And I can see your version, in some respects. How about this? RW and CW are fighting. NW goes to bed, upset--annoyed. RW and CW keep arguing until CW next goes to bed. RW goes back to the stateroom/bedroom. Rouses NW, resumes fight. They alternatively wander from the stateroom to the back deck, fighting. He's jealous, drunk, provoking and accusing her. She's not quite as drunk but defensive, perhaps sarcastic or goading, tired of the control freak. She's also nervous on the boat, near the water, and is probably getting volatile. DD hears them, looks and sees her on deck in her nightgown. DD goes down and knocks. RW sends him away, goes back to the deck. DD is worried, but drunk, and used to taking orders. He doesn't want any trouble. NW tries to convince RW to come in. She is getting tired and cold but is still in the game, to some degree still incensed. Part of her is trying to get him to come in, she has anxiety about the water and the scene they are making. She puts on her jacket. DD is blaring the music. CW is either trying to tune it all out or may have passed out/gone to sleep, but he has made up his mind he is up for no more fighting ala Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, he's quartered for the night, maybe smokes a joint and shuts down. Maybe like me, he uses ear plugs.

Something happens and NW goes over. RW is panicky, still furious, feels (and maybe is) responsible but becomes terrified within minutes about the scandal and how he will explain all that ensued. He is in a drunken anguish but delays acknowledging what happened, to anyone, maybe even himself. Eventually, probably when necessary, he tells DD. Figures she is "gone" by now.

The Captain is smashed and weak. Depends on this for his living, is living an unexamined life, wants to get on tv, can't find the nerve to cross RW. Is able to jumble and rationalize his already fuzzy perceptions.

I still think we need a timeline.

Your theory is food for thought. :)

Eve

Not trying to be a pain but CW never stated he wore earplugs, so that's not true.

The other boat doesn't report hearing a fight. DD said he cranked the music to cover up the fight and that he could still hear them fighting over the music.

The other boat reports hearing the music but doesn't report hearing the fight.

I'm still baffled why everyone is treating DD like some helpless child under the thumb of RW.

DD and NW shared a hotel room together the night before. For all we know, if there was a fight it was because of that.

The only way RW would not have tried to get her help in the water IMO is if he deliberately threw there. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. And so how funny now all of a sudden DD is saying he knew she was there.

One more thing I noticed about DD is that he didn't say that RW threw her in the water. He said very specifically that RW was responsible for what happened to NW.

And if he's rationalizing his behavior then you will see that he could be saying if RW hadn't have fought with NW she wouldn't have come to me and none of this would have happened so ultimately the fighting was the catalyst.

Not trying to be a pain but CW never stated he wore earplugs, so that's not true.

The other boat doesn't report hearing a fight. DD said he cranked the music to cover up the fight and that he could still hear them fighting over the music.

The other boat reports hearing the music but doesn't report hearing the fight.

I'm still baffled why everyone is treating DD like some helpless child under the thumb of RW.

DD and NW shared a hotel room together the night before. For all we know, if there was a fight it was because of that.

The only way RW would not have tried to get her help in the water IMO is if he deliberately threw there. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. And so how funny now all of a sudden DD is saying he knew she was there.

One more thing I noticed about DD is that he didn't say that RW threw her in the water. He said very specifically that RW was responsible for what happened to NW.

And if he's rationalizing his behavior then you will see that he could be saying if RW hadn't have fought with NW she wouldn't have come to me and none of this would have happened so ultimately the fighting was the catalyst.

About the earplugs -- what's not true? I said "Maybe like me, he uses ear plugs." And that is a copy and paste.

I never said the boat heard a fight, I think they were probably sleeping off some drinks too. Holidays on yachts make you sleep well sometimes. I have said before it is possible they didn't hear anything until NW's cries nearer their boat as she drifted. Then they heard music and perhaps the fight was over, no?

All of what you say is plausible, but I am baffled why RW gets such a complete pass? I agree that DD is very probably culpable in many ways. But RW was her husband and the owner of the boat.

I don't know whether you are a boater but I have spent weekends and longer on boats owned by other than the captain. In fact, I dated a captain, he was hired to captain numerous boats. He was NOT the boss in those scenarios. My own father has hired captains, but his "view" of things trumped the captain's. I don't think he was a helpless child, I think he was a hired hand.

Eve

A hired hand is true for normal procedure. But in an emergency the captain has a legal obligation.

I don't see why you keep saying RW's getting a free pass. I'm not talking about RW. I'm talking about DD's story not making any sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46
Back