CA - Near UC Davis - Random knife attacks, Apr 2023 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

keptbycats

Reaction score
Officials in Davis, California, have lifted an overnight shelter-in-place order after they were unable to find a suspect in a knife attack late Monday – the third such incident following two fatal stabbings in less than a week near the campus of the University of California, Davis.

It’s still too early for authorities to definitively link the three attacks, Deputy Chief Todd Henry of the Davis Police told CNN Tuesday, adding police had received “hundreds” of tips. “But the pattern of the attack and the severity of the attack with a knife was very similar,” he said.

We graduated from U.C. Davis in 1967. It was and is a great school and it’s horrifying and sad to see this happening there. The third stabbing wasn’t too far from where we lived in Slatter’s Court (cottages and trailers off Olive Dr along the RR track) when we were married during our senior year.

Davis isn’t large, about 67,000 population not counting students living on campus. Because it has a flat terrain, most students ride bikes between classes. It’s very easy to get around quickly on a bike, which would be to the murderer’s advantage.

It sounds from the description that it’s one person choosing random victims. That’s just a guess. None of the stabbings was on campus: two parks and a transient camp. The second and third victims interacted with their attacker. Personally, I don’t get the sense that there is any relationship either between the victims or between the perp and the victims (except perhaps in his imagination). I could be wrong. Time will tell.

More info here about the suspect (hopefully this source is OK -- local Davis newspaper).

It sounds like the victims so far include a middle-aged member of the community, a senior at UC Davis, and most recently, an unhoused woman who was attacked through her tent. The above source mentions that a couple may have witnessed the suspect prior to the attack, and also heard the woman say that "the guy with the curly hair" was "on her." I'm sure that her exclamation -- "the guy with the curly hair" -- was an attempt to identify the assailant for witnesses, but it almost sounds like something you would say if you had seen the person before?

I agree with @Lilibet that the attacks seem random, at least right now. While the campus community is understandingly on edge, there isn't a clear connection to the university at this point in time. I'm not familiar with Davis, but from reading MSM and posts here and elsewhere, it sounds like a small, close knit community.

I agree, it does sound opportunistic. It also sounds like, according to @r3d-ros3 ’s source, that the unhoused female victim was yelling things to alert her community that it was the subject they saw lurking near the trees earlier that night.

It doesn’t appear related to the university to me. I do wonder if it is a student, however. No source for that ponderance.

I have family in Davis and am quite familiar w/ the park the first stabbing occurred in. My family is on edge. I’m thinking perhaps the subject won’t be caught until he is physically brought down after another stabbing attempt. Davis is very close knit and has that safe feeling about it. Students, females included, ride their bikes alone and everywhere for transportation. I’ve never felt unsafe there. Until researching this case, I was unaware that Daniel Marsh had murdered that elderly couple (w/ a knife) in Davis. Eerie.

I agree, it does sound opportunistic. It also sounds like, according to @r3d-ros3 ’s source, that the unhoused female victim was yelling things to alert her community that it was the subject they saw lurking near the trees earlier that night.

It doesn’t appear related to the university to me. I do wonder if it is a student, however. No source for that ponderance.

I have family in Davis and am quite familiar w/ the park the first stabbing occurred in. My family is on edge. I’m thinking perhaps the subject won’t be caught until he is physically brought down after another stabbing attempt. Davis is very close knit and has that safe feeling about it. Students, females included, ride their bikes alone and everywhere for transportation. I’ve never felt unsafe there. Until researching this case, I was unaware that Daniel Marsh had murdered that elderly couple (w/ a knife) in Davis. Eerie.

I’m so glad to hear that Davis is still as I remember it from almost 60 years ago when I arrived as a freshman. The population and size of the student body exploded after we left, so I would have expected it to lose that good feeling. Back then, the campus had an “honor system” that everyone observed, so you never had to worry about something being stolen from your bike basket while you were in a class or at the library. How quaint! Another custom abandoned later was that women students had to wear skirts in the student Union and library, which was a huge inconvenience if you wore pants to class and needed to stop by the library…you had to go back home to change, unlike the guys, ugh.

I agree that someone will bring this guy down after another stabbing attempt…hopefully soon, so your family can relax @peep.

I'm also a UC Davis alum, from the 1980s.

I don't recall knowing about the Daniel Marsh double murder case, will have to look that up. I was there when Physics lecturer Fred Morris was killed in 1985 -- I think I was even in Morris's class, because I remember talking to the police about someone who seemed out of place/disruptive in the lecture hall shortly before the murder (did not turn out to be related to the murder AFAIK).

In the early 80s there were only about 16k students and town was obviously much smaller too. I don't remember the geography of the specific parks etc, but I always felt safe there. A few years ago I drove through town "for the memories" and found the town so crowded and with so much new construction that I hardly recognized anything and even got lost.

More info here about the suspect (hopefully this source is OK -- local Davis newspaper).

It sounds like the victims so far include a middle-aged member of the community, a senior at UC Davis, and most recently, an unhoused woman who was attacked through her tent. The above source mentions that a couple may have witnessed the suspect prior to the attack, and also heard the woman say that "the guy with the curly hair" was "on her." I'm sure that her exclamation -- "the guy with the curly hair" -- was an attempt to identify the assailant for witnesses, but it almost sounds like something you would say if you had seen the person before?

I agree with @Lilibet that the attacks seem random, at least right now. While the campus community is understandingly on edge, there isn't a clear connection to the university at this point in time. I'm not familiar with Davis, but from reading MSM and posts here and elsewhere, it sounds like a small, close knit community.
From the Article.

"“He’s on me! Help! Get off me! The guy with the curly hair!” she yelled. Another neighbor, Larry, lunged at the suspect through his own tent and knocked him to the ground, but he was able to flee, the couple said. "

"
Chessman believes he spotted the suspect earlier that night, lurking behind the trees on the east side of L street across from the homeless camp.

He said he called out to the person while shining a flashlight on him, saying “you look like the dude that’s been stabbing people.” Chessman noted he also called police, about two hours before the stabbing, but got no response. "

It is hard to tell from the video but he looks really young. His slides look a little large for him, and the bag looks to have food or clothes in it. I wonder if he is part of the unhoused in that area. They did take a photo of his leg. There has been no updates on the person they detained and there have been no new stabbings that I have heard of.

"Carlos Dominguez, 21, had been taken into custody Wednesday and was formally arrested a day later after allegedly admitting to at least one of the stabbings, CBS Sacramento reported, but police would not confirm if that was true."

"Police formally arrested Carlos Reales Dominguez in connection with Davis’ three stabbings shortly after 1 p.m. Thursday, a day after detaining him on Pine Lane and Colby Drive, where multiple citizens reported seeing him wandering through Sycamore Park and the surrounding neighborhood."

"Reales is listed as a UC Davis sophomore studying biological sciences on the university’s online directory, but was no longer a student as of last week, police said. He previously lived in Oakland, where he played high-school football and ran track. He also aspired to become a doctor, according to an online profile for a medical internship in which he described “how health care can be fun.” "

From the link, this was a young man with so much promise, much like the fellow student he killed. What a tragedy! What happened?

The sad irony…

“Maybe people think it’s boring or it’s scary if you’re a surgeon and you see all that blood, but saving someone’s life makes you feel good about yourself,” Reales said.

Davis stabbing suspect Carlos Dominguez arrested on 2 counts of murder, 1 count of attempted murder

Articles have said he was a student up until last week. So I do think something happened. I wonder if they will release his reasoning.

Davis stabbing suspect Carlos Dominguez arrested on 2 counts of murder, 1 count of attempted murder

Articles have said he was a student up until last week. So I do think something happened. I wonder if they will release his reasoning.

I suspect he was flunking out, which would end his med school aspirations. But if so, would the “academic reasons” be the effect of something happening with him (family problems, mental illness) or were the academic reasons (shame, disappointment, anger) the cause of his rampage.

Dominguez is listed as a UC Davis sophomore studying biological sciences on the university’s online directory, but as of April 25 “was separated for academic reasons,” campus officials said in a statement. They did not elaborate.

From the link, this was a young man with so much promise, much like the fellow student he killed. What a tragedy! What happened?

The sad irony…

“Maybe people think it’s boring or it’s scary if you’re a surgeon and you see all that blood, but saving someone’s life makes you feel good about yourself,” Reales said.

It's incredible. Davis is certainly not an easy school to get into, so he has to have been a high achiever. What a tragedy for the families of not only those killed but for the suspect's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back