CA - Nikki Catsouras, death photos leaked

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's so sad and the more I think of Nikki and the pain her parents must be in the only good thing I can think of (and please don't shoot me) is obviously if you saw the photos you would know that Nikki went fast she had no time to suffer or hurt. I know that don't mean squat to her parents or loved ones but it's just something I been thinking about.

I agree with a little comfort in knowing that she didn't suffer.

I think it is horrible what these people have done. I saw the 20/20 episode and I feel so very bad for the family. The dad said the email was sent to look like it was business. The EVIL person who sent it wanted to make sure that her dad opened it and looked at it. I don't understand how anyone could be so cruel and heartless:(

I think it would be hard also as a parent wondering what was going through her mind and why she decided to take the car. Everybody makes mistakes and unfortunatly this one had too high of a price. I remember being that age and also feeling invincible. I look back at stupid things I did as a teenager and thank GOD I'm still here.

My prayers are with this family.

The photos are horrible and I feel so sad for her family and understand their pain - BUT Nikki was violating the LAW when she died - she was going over 100 MPH on a public roadway without regard to the OTHERS on the road. She could have killed a dozen innocent law abiding people due to her careless actions.

Again, I feel really bad for her family but in the age of camera phones in every pocket, if it hadn't been the CHP, it would have been someone else - much like when Anna Nicole died and some bystander video'd her going into the ambulance and someone else at the morgue, there is no expectation of privacy outside your home....even in death

If I was her Mom I would take control of the situation and OWN (figuratively) the photos themselves and speak out for something positive - go to schools with a tear-jerking and meaningful presentation of my daughter's life and the GOOD in her and her life ahead filled with unlimited possibilities and talk about the immaturity of teen drivers and the trouble that can lead to when kids act impulsively without thinking. Then BAMM, hit a room full of smart aleck, bullet proof kids with the way her life ended. Not sensational, but IMPACTFUL! I'd make Nikki into the PERSON she was, not just the gruesome way she died. It would be SO MOVING! I'd leave feeling I had made my child's life COUNT for something good and positive.

Their child's life was cut short and her death was gruesome - and she died accidentally at her own hand - but her family could change that and make her life (and death) count for something awesome. If her example stopped even ONE KID from getting mad and driving fast, or racing, or doing any of the stupid things HS and college kids do in cars then Nikki's life and death would be less about shock value and more about a real-life example that simple impulsive actions have sometimes horrifying consequences.

I feel so awful for Nikki's family BUT as we know from WS, bad things happen to some very nice people every day. They cannot now "unring the bell" - it's far to late - they cannot stop the photos from going around (and they cannot protect their other kids from it either). What they CAN do is stop the salacious spreading of the pics WITHOUT the story of Nikki (the person, their beautiful child) being attached to them. Once THEY spread the photos THEMSELVES (with an appropriate and moving slide show with a MESSAGE, for instance), the photos alone lose their value.

Is costing someone their job going to bring back Nikki? Is money going to bring back Nikki? Is winning a lawsuit going to stop one passerby from filming the next ugly accident (recently we watched a man burn to death after a car accident here)? What they should do is make the CHP staff who did this appear with them (on their own time) at 100 high schools where they use the photos (And Nikki's life) for GOOD, not shock value. Since the family is quite wealthy already, that's a much better memorial to the Nikki they loved so much and miss so much.

From their pain could come a really important program to teach young people that along with drinking and drugs, anger and impulsiveness are ALSO deadly behind the wheel of a car.

My Opinion

I agree, the photos are horrific. I can't imagine someone being so heartless as to send these pictures to the family.

Back when I was in driver's ed in high school, some xx years ago, we were forced to watch videos of the aftermath of car accidents, which included some rather gory scenes. It was supposed to scare us into being safe drivers although I'm not sure that it worked because several folks I was in high school were involved in horrible car accidents. Was anyone else subjected to this in high school?

Yes, and it scared the crap outta me! AND I plan to subject my children to it before they are allowed to get their license. A little reality check.

No one really knows how it feels to lose a child untill it has happend to them.

I think this is HORRIBLE!

I have the "pictures" of Ethan after being hit in the head with a 200 lb tree in my head every single day....... you can NEVER erase them from your mind... I am SO very sorry these parents have had to go thru this!

People are CRUEL!!!!!!

Yes, and it scared the crap outta me! AND I plan to subject my children to it before they are allowed to get their license. A little reality check.

The films were bad, but an in person, real presentation is better - real lives are lost - not some anonymous person on a video. In the age of INSTANT gratification and media in our face, violent almost real games and reality TV, a video isn't going to stop a single kid. To me, it needs to be personal - and an example like Nikki, presented by her grieving family, the girl who had EVERYTHING to live for including money, well that, properly done, might just stop a few kids in their tracks.

My Opinion

(snip)

If I was her Mom I would take control of the situation and OWN (figuratively) the photos themselves and speak out for something positive - go to schools with a tear-jerking and meaningful presentation of my daughter's life and the GOOD in her and her life ahead filled with unlimited possibilities and talk about the immaturity of teen drivers and the trouble that can lead to when kids act impulsively without thinking. Then BAMM, hit a room full of smart aleck, bullet proof kids with the way her life ended. Not sensational, but IMPACTFUL! I'd make Nikki into the PERSON she was, not just the gruesome way she died. It would be SO MOVING! I'd leave feeling I had made my child's life COUNT for something good and positive.

(snip)

From their pain could come a really important program to teach young people that along with drinking and drugs, anger and impulsiveness are ALSO deadly behind the wheel of a car.

My Opinion

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I chose not to view the images, but as I was reading through this thread, the exact same thoughts occurred to me.

This family could take this tragedy and use it to teach others of the dangers of reckless driving. The loss of their daughter, although extremely tragic, could become a catalyst to prevent many future deaths! So maybe Nikki did not die in vain.

I hope the family has the strength and courage to get through this sad incident and turn it around to prevent something like this from happening to someone else!

I cannot even begin to feel the extreme pain that this family must feel knowing that these photos have made the rounds around the Internet and were even sent to them by some sick, sick individuals. I know that the family could use this situation to teach a lesson; however, I believe that they can do it with a photo of their daughter before the accident and photos of the mangled car. There is no need to show gruesome photos of the aftermath.

No one really knows how it feels to lose a child untill it has happend to them.

I think this is HORRIBLE!

I have the "pictures" of Ethan after being hit in the head with a 200 lb tree in my head every single day....... you can NEVER erase them from your mind... I am SO very sorry these parents have had to go thru this!

People are CRUEL!!!!!!

God bless you hon... you and your strength.

No one should have to lose a child... and one especially to tragedy. And to have to see... to picture... I''m not so sure I can handle it. Anyone who tries to justify the cruelty of this act needs to be placed in her parent's shoes to know how it feels...

FlowerChild, while I agree that something good could come from this horrific tragedy, and that, yes, Nikki herself broke the law which started this chain of events, there is absolutely NO justification for ambushing the parents or sister by:

-putting the pictures in the sister's locker

-sending the pictures to the dad disguised as a business-related email

-going to all of the trouble to create a "memorial" slideshow of Nikki, only to have her death photos pop out at you at the end.

Anyone who would do this is sick and needs some serious mental help. They also have WAY too much free time. I think counseling and some community service would do them good.

If a stalker was subjecting someone to gory photos in their personal space and sending disturbing emails, we would demand that he be stopped. Why is this different?

CHP dispatcher says suit over crash photos of teen put on Web is misguided

Images of body of Nicole 'Nikki' Catsouras were circulated worldwide.

By GREG HARDESTY
The Orange County Register

LANCASTER - A California Highway Patrol dispatcher, speaking publicly for the first time about a high-profile lawsuit blaming him for photos of a dead teen proliferating on the Internet, said he feels sorry for her family but that he did nothing wrong.
"Why am I here?" Thomas O'Donnell said in a quiet voice as he sat in his attorney's office. "I didn't do anything wrong."
The lawsuit accuses O'Donnell, 38, and another CHP dispatcher of illegally transmitting to the public gory images of car-crash victim Nicole "Nikki" Catsouras – turning her into an online sensation and further traumatizing her grieving Ladera Ranch family.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/nikki-catsouras-chp-1965415-donnell-family

I'm still confused after reading that article. How did they get on the internet? What one transaction with the pictures triggered that? I see he transferred the pictures to his home pc, but that seems to be routine for the investigators.

It's too bad the family(ies) can't sue the idiots that sent them her picture with nasty messages. So far I don't know what to think about the lawsuit...

Taximom, the article says there were 2 dispatchers who emailed the photos, 1 of them has admitted to also sending them to 4 other people. I am assuming he sent them to friends or relatives, from there of course it began to spread like wildfire.
I do feel bad for her family, no parent should have to suffer the death of a child and then be tortured like they have been. The only good thing about this is that she did not kill anyone else, she did hit another car and that driver was hurt but not severely.

VB

Ohhh dear, thats soo awful. :( I feel so bad for her parents.

Can we see the pics or have they been taken down?

Oh Lord child you don't want to see those pics--- months back I saw them in a myspace bulletin --wish i had never open that one! Top of her head literally ripped off and brains scattered..was NOT anything you can see than sleep well after viewing.

Vegas Bride, I swear I read that article twice for the facts! Thanks for pointing that out to me. I thought the only thing the one dispatcher did was to send the pics to his home pc to work on from home.

Oh Lord child you don't want to see those pics--- months back I saw them in a myspace bulletin --wish i had never open that one! Top of her head literally ripped off and brains scattered..was NOT anything you can see than sleep well after viewing.

:eek:
i already looked at it.
The image will NEVER leave my head! I know so many people named "nikki" and i swear every time i hear the name the image just pops in my head. Its such an awful picture & thing for her parents to see!!

The things this family endured are horrific......

That being said, yes I think this could be a good chance to give teens or dui offenders and probably everyone....the reality check they might need to think before acting.

I also don't think that should happen unless it is with the parents full permission and done in the most respectful way possible. I think it is horrible her siblings are scared to go on the internet, check their email, or go to school.

Some kids these days really should have been raised better, with more compassion and feelings. I doubt these parents would have been half as upset if this would have been done in a respectful manor, without name calling and snide remarks.

Plenty of warning before all of these photos, is a must on any video that people might be allowed to do in the future for awareness presentations.

Kel

http://www.ocregister.com/news/chp-photos-family-1953571-catsouras-nikki

The CHP admitted responsibility for the leak, and the Catsouras family sued the agency and the two employees. Nikki had taken her father's Porsche without permission and slammed into a tool booth while driving at more than 100 mph.

As with all accidents, CHP officials took photos of the gruesome aftermath. But the photos are supposed to be used only for investigative purposes. The lawsuit cites, among other things, violation of civil rights, invasion of privacy and negligence.

My heart totally breaks for the family of Nikki.....

As someone said above the family could of used it to make teens aware of fast driving turn it around to a positive! Possibly in the future maybe the family can....the pain & sorrow is probably to raw at this point in time.

:eek:
i already looked at it.
The image will NEVER leave my head! I know so many people named "nikki" and i swear every time i hear the name the image just pops in my head. Its such an awful picture & thing for her parents to see!!

I truly wish I'd never seen picture. I feel so sorry for Nikki's family, to lose her, then to have to go through this is terrible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back