CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have frankenstein-ed multiple comments from various points of this thread with the full intention of twisting my words.

To be fair, that's not true. Your statement that he could point his gun and say "get back" was an absolute direct response to someone stating if he was knocked to the ground, he would not be able to retreat.

I think this shooting stinks to high heaven but I want to be totally fair and accurate.

If French's mother dies. I wonder if that would warrent charges regardless

They could charge Attempted Manslaughter regardless, and I still am unclear how he could on any planet be justified in shooting his parents if they were not even the instigators. But hey, this is not any planet, it's America, so it's certainly possible, in fact probable, they'll have a defense for that too.

According to the article below, the condition from which Mr. French suffered might have been schizophrenia. His mother is still in critical condition and might not survive.

""I would hardly characterize it as an attack," Galipo told The Associated Press, describing it as an "open-handed push or slap" to the policeman's back. "It certainly does not justify killing someone.""
Attorney: Man killed at Costco was mentally ill, off meds

So he is now claiming the cop was scared for his child's life.

That I don't agree with. When you're down, it's close to over. If you are knocked or thrown to the ground and someone is hitting you, you're not going to be able to calmly point your weapon and tell the attacker to stop. If I was knocked down, and could access my neck knife> I would be trying my hardest to kill my attacker. Because if you're on the ground, you can't defend yourself well and can be close to being killed.

But for that matter, you're not going to be able to easily grab your gun either, and shoot, if you were just knocked out and wake up "fighting for your life".

The whole thing seems off.

But people are going to see what they want to see. We have seen actual videos of people being shot in the back as they run away, of a kid just sitting there, being shot to death as the cops roll up, as the car is still moving, we've seen videos of cops shooting to death someone who is unarmed and on their stomachs, face down, not moving, obeying commands. And still the cops have gotten off in all those situations.

Someone here mentioned a video showing a bunch of cops screaming at a shoplifter with guns drawn and people agreed with the cop's actions.

This shows that people will take a stance and view evidence through that lens, no matter what it shows.

It just seems insane to me. I think this stems from some sort of dislike of other human beings and a belief in their own superiority. It seems to me the natural reaction to seeing defenseless people shot and killed or beaten is to feel sympathy for that person and outrage over the situation. But on social media we see people lining up and essentially shouting "crucify him!" "If he'd only complied he'd not have had to die!" I have come to assume that these people for some reason believe that this could never happen to them and that there must be something somehow wrong with the other person that this happened to them. So they essentially deserve whatever horrible thing happened.

I also think the people who feel no sympathy when they see others hurt and killed are probably the ones at home abusing their kids. I'm not referencing anyone in this thread or websleuths. Just the general masses who in the feeds on social media show up to cheer about someone deserving whatever horrible thing happened to them. It's just disheartening to see how cruel we as humans can be.

Costco has 360° cameras, that can zero in on people or products from several different directions.

The police have had the videos, if they portray the narrative presented, they would have already been released. JMO.

If they have the videos, and know the shooting was not justified, why hasn't the cop been fired and arrested? It's been 4 days since the Murder(s).

I think someone would have much more than minor injuries if they were "fighting for their life" as he claims.

Also, note his attorney never stated the baby was in danger or he was trying to protect the baby. So no need to add that feature.

I'm coming in the thread "cold"- not having read specifics yet, but if I was in a store with my baby and someone hit me- I would automatically assume my child's safety was in danger as well, especially if I thought I might pass out/be over powered. Too many children are kidnapped. I will now read more in regards to the shooting.

I'm coming in the thread "cold"- not having read specifics yet, but if I was in a store with my baby and someone hit me- I would automatically assume my child's safety was in danger as well, especially if I thought I might pass out/be over powered. Too many children are kidnapped. I will now read more in regards to the shooting.
And then what? Would you just start shooting at whoever was behind you? Don't count on being not charged/arrested, unless you are a cop. While using public transportation during rush hour, I have been shoved/pushed numerous times, and yet somehow managed not to shoot anyone.

<modsnip>

I will answer when I have read more. That one point just caught my attention. If you are alone with your child, you are their defense. If someone is randomly attacking you out of no where, you must assume they most likely mean your child harm also or that they intend to take your child. I am projecting there because that's how I've always been with my child, so it seems a normal way to think to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. I would too. If I was holding my child and someone knocked me to the floor unconscious, wen I awakened, after needing some time to come to my senses (I have been knocked out before, by my evil forgets when I was a kid), I would believe myself in danger.

It is hard for me to believe that:

1. His baby suffered no injuries if he was knocked unconscious from a blow from behind.
2. That a person would have the wherewithal to immediately wake up from being unconscious and instantly remember what happened and be able to quickly react and "protect" themselves and their child by grabbing, cocking, aiming and shooting their gun.

It just seems bizarre.

People claim that someone getting beaten on the ground can easily comply with cop commands to "submit" to the beating and lie still instead of instinctually trying to protect themselves. So when the person who is flailing about in pain and anguish and can't keep their hands from trying to cover their head and body from repeated blows, they deserve to get shot and killed.

So it makes sense that those same people believe that a cop can calmly draw, *advertiser censored* and aim his firearm while on the ground being beaten to death. Because remember, he was fighting for his life.

I just feel like the videos would be quickly released if they clearly showed self defense and not someone overreacting and unlawfully using their weapon.

That being said, while it stinks to me, it's possible that he was knocked to the ground while holding his baby. It's possible his baby miraculously avoided injury. It's possible he was knocked unconscious for a second. It's possible he awoke and was able to immediately orient himself, recall what had happened, locate his infant, realize his life and his child's life was in danger, all while just coming out of a black out and fighting for his life. It's possible that under those circumstances, dazed and fighting for his life he was able to grab, *advertiser censored* and aim his weapon. It's possible all that happened and he came out of all of it with only minor injuries.

It seems farfetched but it is possible.

What gives me pause is the comment that the young man was off his meds, meds that keep him calm, the fact that he was large and the statement that he did indeed slap the cop on his back.

Was he strong enough to knock him down and out?

Did he lose it at the Costco and attack someone viciously?

Let's see.

And then what? Would you just start shooting at whoever was behind you? Don't count on being not charged/arrested, unless you are a cop. While using public transportation during rush hour, I have been shoved/pushed numerous times, and yet somehow managed not to shoot anyone.

I've never carried a gun into stores- and have had people bump into me, shove me out of line to get in front , etc. So, I will read the articles and see what I think- if the shooter was shoved down or bumped into.

I will answer when I have read more. That one point just caught my attention. If you are alone with your child, you are their defense. If someone is randomly attacking you out of no where, you must assume they most likely mean your child harm also or that they intend to take your child. I am projecting there because that's how I've always been with my child, so it seems a normal way to think to me.
The parents of the victim were there with their child. Even though he is an adult, he supposedly has mentality of a child. Even if the cop can somehow argue self-defense against the son (there is no stand your ground law in California), what gave him the right to shoot the parents (nobody reported parents did anything to the cop)?

The parents of the victim were there with their child. Even though he is an adult, he supposedly has mentality of a child. Even if the cop can somehow argue self-defense against the son (there is no stand your ground law in California), what gave him the right to shoot the parents (nobody reported parents did anything to the cop)?

My guess is he wasn't aiming for them but if the cop's story is true, they were struggling with their son to get him off the cop.

If his story isn't true, they were jumping in front of their child to protect him from a barrage of bullets.

We have no mention of the victim with a weapon. We have seen in MSM that there was a push/slap knocking the shooter to the ground. We read that the shooter identified himself as an officer. NOW, we need to know why he believed he could shoot. Was it 1 sec after the id'ing himself or 10 sec? Where was the victim shot? Even if the victim continued toward him, if there was no weapon, was it justifiable to shoot? I don't think so....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member