CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this. So, I wonder if he called for help first before firing 6-7 shots, and how that plays into the"believing he needed to use force", and "using no more force than necessary". I imagine the setting (a crowded store) is relevant if the person or persons he believed were attacking him were unarmed.

Imo, it would depend on the situation. If I was in fear for my life, I would shoot as many times as needed. That might be twice, or six times. I'm not fond of the idea that I can't save my life because other people are around.

Forensics can give info on whether a shot was from above or below - anyone know if it would also provide clues whether the person (who was shot) is moving toward the gun or was standing still?

I've never really thought about Costco having security cameras (it seems so obvious now that they would) but even without video of the whole incident, there should other evidence like the 6 or 7 bullets and/or bullet wounds. Also, does Costco's security cameras include audio? I saw an article where the cop's lawyer says that the cop did say he is an officer before shooting - without audio, it might not be clear from a (silent) video what the officer is saying.
I am not sure what difference would it make if he said he was a cop or not? He was off duty at the time.

Imo, it would depend on the situation. If I was in fear for my life, I would shoot as many times as needed. That might be twice, or six times. I'm not fond of the idea that I can't save my life because other people are around.
But do you think your life is more important than lives of these other people? If you are shooting in a crowded place multiple times, you potentially are going to shoot or kill completely innocent people. You don't think that matters? Or your life more important than anybody's?

I'd like to know the details of what really happened.

Not condensed one sided view points from peoples lawyers who are acting only in their clients interests. JMO

'Mentally ill' man who was shot dead by an off-duty cop in Costco was off his medication | Daily Mail Online

snip
a lawyer for the family of a man who was fatally shot by an off-duty police officer in a Southern California Costco says the victim was mentally ill and recently went off his medication.

Attorney Dale Galipo also acknowledged Tuesday that 32-year-old Kenneth French pushed or slapped the back of the Los Angeles police officer in the Costco on Friday night.

Galipo says French was taken off his medication due to other health complications and that may have affected French's behavior.

But do you think your life is more important than lives of these other people? If you are shooting in a crowded place multiple times, you potentially are going to shoot or kill completely innocent people. You don't think that matters? Or your life more important than anybody's?

I think in the heat of the moment I would think my attacker is a danger to me and everyone around me.

There are plenty more, all of them extremely biased. Either one way or the other.

The officer was either attacked and defending himself. Or the officer was a shooter, who killed a disabled man and wounded his parents.

Not much center ground.
He did kill a mentally disabled man and wounded his parents (mother is said to be in really bad shape and could die too). Those are the actual facts. The dispute is whether that qualifies as self-defense.

There are plenty more, all of them extremely biased. Either one way or the other.

The officer was either attacked and defending himself. Or the officer was a shooter, who killed a disabled man and wounded his parents.

Not much center ground.

Exactly what I thought about most of the articles only biased mostly one way. They use the off-duty cops version as gospel truth. No qualifier like "alledgedly" (sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela