CA - Oldest condemned inmate Clarence Ray Allen seeks to avoid execution

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I cannot wrap my head around the legal argument here. The man is old. The man is ALLEGEDLY blind (prison officials say no) he is allegedly going deaf (prison officials say no) he says he cannot walk (prison officials say that he can walk, it just takes him too long so they wheel him around) so.... what's the problem? Put him down like the dog that he is. :furious:

mssheila said:
I cannot wrap my head around the legal argument here. The man is old. The man is ALLEGEDLY blind (prison officials say no) he is allegedly going deaf (prison officials say no) he says he cannot walk (prison officials say that he can walk, it just takes him too long so they wheel him around) so.... what's the problem? Put him down like the dog that he is. :furious:

Well, you won't get an agrument from me. Down him.

Gabby said:
Well wheel the B****rd into the chamber in a wheel chair....

Yo Gabby dear, You made me laugh so unexpectedly that I almost dropped the batch of cookie dough I'm mixing as I read. :D Almost had teeny Zante Currants everywhere!

Anyway, he is not in a wheelchair when he's in his cell, so he can get up and motivate around. They ought to make him walk from the cell he is in right now, which is adjacent to the death chamber, a couple of steps and in through the door so he gets a complete visual of what's gonna happen to him!

Why give him an easy little ride? LOL :innocent:

Scandi

mssheila said:
Very soon he will be blind, deaf, and dead. That's all fine with me.

you have to pay for what you do. we all know these consequences, but some people think it doesnt apply to them, because they are THIS or they are THAT.... sorry. It applies. I hate excuses.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Condemned murderer Clarence Ray Allen finished his final visits with family members and friends Monday night at San Quentin State Prison as the state prepared to execute him by lethal injection for ordering three killings from his prison cell in 1980.

Allen, who turned 76 on Monday, was scheduled to become the oldest prisoner ever executed in California and one of the oldest ever put to death in the United States. Legally blind and crippled by diabetes and heart disease, he argued in his final appeals that his execution would violate the constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. The U.S. Supreme Court turned down Allen's request for a stay Monday afternoon. Only one justice, Stephen Breyer, cast a dissenting vote.

Allen spent Monday in a special visiting room at San Quentin seeing relatives, friends, members of his legal team and two spiritual advisers, prison officials said. Allen claimed Choctaw and Cherokee ancestry, and both spiritual advisers were American Indians.

At 6 p.m. he was transferred to a "death watch'' cell near the execution chamber, where his contact was limited to the spiritual advisers and prison staff. The cell also had a radio and television.

"He's had a pretty steady stream of visitors,'' said Elaine Jennings, a spokeswoman for the prison system. She said prison staff described him as "positive, upbeat. His spirits are good.''

"He's making his peace,'' said Allen's attorney, Michael Satris. He said the execution would be "a low point in the history of California's administration of the death penalty.'' Allen ordered a final meal of buffalo steak, Kentucky Fried Chicken, sugar-free pecan pie, sugar-free black walnut ice cream and whole milk, officials said.

Another prisoner, Michael Morales, could be executed in late February for the rape and murder of a 17-year-old San Joaquin County woman in 1981.

EDITED DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/01/17/ALLEN.TMP

clear.gif

[/size]

Posted on Tue, Jan. 17, 2006

DON THOMPSON

Associated Press

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. - California executed its oldest condemned inmate early Tuesday for arranging a triple murder 25 years ago to silence witnesses in another killing.

Clarence Ray Allen was pronounced dead by lethal injection at 12:38 a.m. at San Quentin State Prison, less than an hour after his 76th birthday ended at midnight.

Allen, who was mostly blind and deaf, couldn't walk, and suffered a nearly fatal heart attack in September only to be revived and returned to death row, was assisted into the death chamber by four large correctional officers shortly after midnight.

With relatives of his victims watching, Allen was able to get up on the gurney himself and witnesses said he appeared to be looking around for his relatives.He received the first of three injections at 12:20 a.m. He then was given an extra dose of potassium chloride, the lethal chemical that stops the heart, at 12:35 a.m., and died minutes later, according to Corrections Department spokeswoman Elaine Jennings.

more at link:http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/13640161.htm

POSTED: 4:33 pm PST January 15, 2006
UPDATED: 2:52 pm PST January 17, 2006

SAN QUENTIN -- In the end, California's oldest condemned inmate wasn't as feeble and frail as his attorneys portrayed in their futile efforts to spare his life, describing a man who would have to be carried into the death chamber.

With the help of four large correctional officers, Clarence Ray Allen shuffled from his wheelchair to a gurney in San Quentin State Prison early Tuesday morning, a day after his 76th birthday.

Though legally blind, Allen raised his head to search among execution witnesses for relatives he had invited, mouthing "I loveyou."

"Hoka hey, it's a good day to die," Allen told the warden in a last statement nod to his Choctaw Indian heritage before being led into the chamber. "Thank you very much, I love you all. Goodbye."

Anticipating a possible replay of his September heart attack, Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/deathrow/6128928/detail.html

He deserved the death penalty. He caused death to others that was his game plan. There is no excuse and no compassion as he didn't show this to his victims. End of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back