CA CA - Orange Co., WhtMale Skeletal 190UMCA, 15-19, in Trabuco Canyon, Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, I would go by June, 1996. It was just a something I noticed and it's always good to check other files for possible additional information about a missing person.

I hope I didn’t sound rude. I reread what I wrote and it came off as rude. Not my intention. I appreciate your info though. At the end of the day it is all about finding the missing person.

I agree, I would go by June, 1996. It was just a something I noticed and it's always good to check other files for possible additional information about a missing person.

I hope I didn’t sound rude. I reread what I wrote and it came off as rude. Not my intention. I appreciate your info though. At the end of the day it is all about finding the missing person.
I found this in familysearch. I think this is him and his mother is called Rice, doesn't sound Hispanic to me, but I don't know. So he might have been Hispanic/White.

Steven M Gonzales

California Birth Index, 1905-1995
Name: Steven M Gonzales
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 28 Sep 1971
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Mother's Name: Rice

Yeah probably. There are many people here in SoCal who are half Mexican half White. Since Gonzales was his last name it was his dad who was Mexican and since you said Rice was his mom’s maiden name, she must be the White one. He just looks more White than Mexican.

I’m starting to wonder if the unidentified male wasn’t even from here... Maybe he was from out of state. Isotope testing of bones can show where you grew up because the calcium in bones apparently somehow is specific to certain areas. Like for example they could figure out I live in SoCal because the calcium in my bones shows it (I don’t know how to explain this well, forgive me lol). Have they done isotope testing on the bones of this unidentified man? This National Geographic article explains isotope testing: Where you grew up, what you ate—your bones record your life

It’s extremely common to do isotope testing in unidentified body cases so police can narrow down where the person came from.

@CaliforniaSleuther Thanks for mentioning it. Yes, it felt kind of snippy but I stepped over that already. No hard feelings. Your attention and time into this is appreciated. I was trying to help the case actually by pulling up other files about your suggestion Gonzales. I thought it was good thinking of you that Gonzales might have been Caucasian/Hispanic and it turned out he probably was (per Family search) From experience I know that a lot of people who are listed as Caucasian are actually Native American or Biracial. That's why it's always good to sleuth a little further and check out other info about a missing person. In the end it's indeed always about the likeliness a missing person could be a match with a UID.

About your potential match with Gonzales: In the process of considering him as a potential match I totally missed that he is probably already on the rule out list, named as Steven Gonzales.

About using isotopes. Personally I consider this in 2020 an old school technique. Time and time again isotopes have proven not accurate, covering a to wide span of possible states, so not very helpful in pinpointing things down. Especially in the US, in contrast of f.i. Europe, isotopes don't have that much distinctiveness. DNA has much more potential (if there is something to compare it with), especially combined with gynecological (just in time....thanks to Mrs Badcrumble....I mean Genealogical :oops:) research. That is why this John Doe is "adopted" by the DNA Doe project. You can find him here.
Active Cases Archives - DNA Doe Project Cases

Last edited:
@CaliforniaSleuther Thanks for mentioning it. Yes, it felt kind of snippy but I stepped over that already. No hard feelings. Your attention and time into this is appreciated. I was trying to help the case actually by pulling up other files about your suggestion Gonzales. I thought it was good thinking of you that Gonzales might have been Caucasian/Hispanic and it turned out he probably was (per Family search) From experience I know that a lot of people who are listed as Caucasian are actually Native American or Biracial. That's why it's always good to sleuth a little further and check out other info about a missing person. In the end it's indeed always about the likeliness a missing person could be a match with a UID.

About your potential match with Gonzales: In the process of considering him as a potential match I totally missed that he is probably already on the rule out list, named as Steven Gonzales.

About using isotopes. Personally I consider this in 2020 an old school technique. Time and time again isotopes have proven not accurate, covering a to wide span of possible states, so not very helpful in pinpointing things down. Especially in the US, in contrast of f.i. Europe, isotopes don't have that much distinctiveness. DNA has much more potential (if there is something to compare it with), especially combined with gynecological (just in time....thanks to Mrs Badcrumble....I mean Genealogical :oops:) research. That is why this John Doe is "adopted" by the DNA Doe project. You can find him here.
Active Cases Archives - DNA Doe Project Cases

I think this case interests me since this occurred right near me. Something about local unsolved deaths and missing person cases is interesting to me I guess. I’m really unfamiliar with identifying bodies and such. Did they say the body’s dna was tested?

@CaliforniaSleuther Going over the rule-outs again I noticed that a Steven Gonzales is on the rule out list. I think this is Steven Michael Gonzales. Does somebody know? I looked over it, because they didn't used his full name.

Yes it's him.

The exclusions are:

-- Wesley Aaron -- -- AZ
MP5865 David Borer 04/25/1989 -- AK
MP1161 Jeffery Chisholm 08/19/1994 Los Angeles CA
-- Angelo Gatti -- -- CA
MP4458 Steven Gonzales 06/15/1996 Los Angeles CA (listed twice)
MP6167 James Hendrickson 06/12/1991 Pima AZ
MP1892 Mark Himebaugh 11/25/1991 Cape May NJ
-- Benjamin Jimenez-Carlson -- -- CA

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think this case interests me since this occurred right near me. Something about local unsolved deaths and missing person cases is interesting to me I guess. I’m really unfamiliar with identifying bodies and such. Did they say the body’s dna was tested?

I can totally understand you are interested in this case. Since the "new" Namus is launched, they don't show the identifiers (dentals, DNA, fingerprints) available anymore. They did before, so from some older cases we mostly know. In the The Doe Network files they often say something about the available identifiers. For this John Doe there is DNA.
190UMCA
The DNA Doe project either uses the available DNA or let distract DNA from remains they use in their genealogical research. In this particular case DNA is already there and the genealogical research is in progress. You can see the status in the case file on the DNA Doe project website. Trabuco Canyon John Doe 1996 - DNA Doe Project Cases

His image was updated to show more Hispanic characteristics:
TrabucoCanyonJohnDoe1996_web.jpg

Shame they've pretty much halted the investigation due to the results thus far.

I'm sorry this sounds like they haltered the investigation on purpose, but it states that they hit a brick wall because there is not much DNA submitted from the part of the world he is probably from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back