Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad you asked this question. I have a friend who has legal custody of her 4 nieces and nephews through CPS. Her sister was given lots of chances to get straight and off drugs, but she could not do it, so CPS is in the process of severing her parental rights and my friend is probably going to be adopting all 4 kids. She also has 3 of her own! So I asked her about the payments because I was curious. (I understand this is very personal information to ask a friend, but I told her why I wanted to know.)

She told me that CPS has encouraged her to get her certification as a CPS Foster parent. That way she can take in "up to 6" foster children. (She has not done so because she is not in it to keep other kids, only her family!) She gets paid around $500 per month per child (in my state of TX) for being non-certified. She could get more if she was certified. IF she adopts the kids through CPS, she will still get a payment of some kind from CPS. She also told me she could qualify for housing, electricity and other benefits for having these kids in her home. She is not interested in "working the system" as she puts it, but it is her understanding a lot of people use the foster care system to "earn a living" and they don't have to work.

I am not stating that is what these parents are doing, but it did answer some questions I had about the kids and income after adoption. I was always of the impression you got no money after adoption. Apparently I was wrong. Hope these sweet boys are found soon.

And yes....here they still come and inspect your home and check up on the kids.....

Thank you very much for looking in to this, your answers are quite illuminating. I think we can all agree... it is a very dark road, greed can lead one down...

Like you said, we are not saying this is what the parents are doing, but the information does serve as possible indicators.

Is there a pool behind or beside their house? My thought would have been to first jump that fence or at least look over to see if they fell in the pool. The father never mentions the pool in the interview or that he checked it.

There is a pool on the other side of the fence, but that fence looks to be at least a 6 footer, and a solid one with no way through, for two little dudes.

jmo

There is a pool on the other side of the fence, but that fence looks to be at least a 6 footer, and a solid one with no way through, for two little dudes.

jmo
Thanks! No matter the fencing, if you have small children and live next to a pool your instinct is to at least look. You never know with kids. The only reason not to look or go banging on doors is because you do not want to really alert people and you know where they are. JMO.

I keep going back to the chalk. Over embellishment is a sign of lying. The chalk is mentioned multiple times in the AP interview. I’m an art teacher and can confirm that if the boys were as AD described, chalk wouldn’t hold their attention for more than 5 minutes. (I was taught that attention is one minute for every year of age.. I can’t confirm that is true, but that always stuck in my head)

Every detail seems rehearsed and meticulously thought out. Sidewalk chalk seems to be the only material I can come up with that would not show finger prints. Could this be why it became of their “story?” It’s mentioned too many times to be ignored. Any other toy would have fingerprints proving they were actually there on the day they were reported missing. Is there anyone that can provide detail on fingerprinting on a porous surface such as chalk? Powder (for getting the print) and chalk are similar in property which would make me believe prints wouldn’t stick.

I know this information doesn’t help bring the boys home, but it could prove how much time and thought went into planning their story.
But when toddlers play with chalk on the patio, they put their open palms all over the concrete. I wonder if they can pick up prints on the concrete or bricks?

In general, if birth parents have one or two children removed from their custody and placed in foster care, wouldn’t ALL of her children be removed?? Could she possibly regain custody of some of the kids but not all?
It is possible, oddly enough to have some children taken but not the others

Our son's birth mom gave birth to 8 children. Her 4 oldest were removed from her custody when she lived in Montana and she was in her 20's. They took her parental rights away permanently.

She then moved to California and had 4 more children. She kept the first 3 California born children until they were toddlers, then gave them up for adoption to various family members. She became pregnant the last time, and gave us the amazing opportunity to adopt a newborn baby with her final pregnancy. Biggest blessing ever...

I don’t know much about CA, but generally (and this goes for all states), before an adoption is final a “contract” is entered into between parents. The adoptive family could have offered monthly supervised visits OR just yearly updates OR nothing at all... it’s really up to the adoptive parents. IF the parents are actively using, participating in criminal activity, etc, there is no physical contact. IF either side breaks contract, there is legal recourse. The adoptive family may stop all contact within reason.

The bottom line is, adoption isn’t temporary. I’m not sure why it’s being stated that bio families can “get their children back” after an adoption is final. In every document I’ve seen, adoptive parents become de facto biological parents and the children inherit all rights and privileges of bio children.

I’m a little put off by the fact that the bio parents/family showed up at their home. It really isn’t their business, legally speaking (hear me in a loving tone). So someone majorly dropped the ball and it needs to be address at some point, OR they just googled. You can find anyone on google, and it’s likely they had the info to do so.

I truly hope these boys are with someone. ❤️

MOO
Thank you for this, much appreciated. But I wasn't asking about a private adoption, but one where the children were removed from their parents because of neglect or abuse and reunification services failed. Such as is the case with Orson & Orrin.

Maybe someone else here has adopted under those circumstances.

I was reading online that adoptive parents in California can receive federal and/ or state subsidies, social security, etc.

Current state subsidy rate STARTS at $1,037 per child monthly an can be renegotiated by adoptive parents if they have reason to request more. Add to this federal benefits and free healthcare....wow.

Https://www.nacac.org/help/adoption...grams/california-adoption-assistance-program/
When there is the possibility for children to become a business venture, close monitoring is needed.

Amateur opinion and speculation

When there is the possibility for children to become a business venture, close monitoring is needed.

Amateur opinion and speculation

And believe me, I have seen some things that were not appropriate.

Monitoring? Yeah. Of course.

Taking in foster kids has become a business for many people. But, there are some folks who truly do it because they love kids. I have had the opportunity to meet some fantastic families who just had love to give. So, we can't generalize. But, when people rely on payments from foster kids for cash, those are the ones that merit more Monitoring.

So you don’t need to be gainfully employed to adopt through CPS?
Subsidies considered to be income?

We are going through the fost/adopt process for the third time in California. Yes, you HAVE to be gainfully employed, your subsidies are considered, but you must have employment and childcare. Your criminal record is checked, your children (bio and adopted) are interviewed and observed. They go through your home, your finances, your credit, your CPS history, your medical history, your work history, there is an FBI check and your friends have to write letters of recommendation...etc. A social worker comes to your home once a week to once a month depending what agency you foster/adopt through. After adoption, the visits stop, but teachers, therapists, and doctors are supposed to continue to monitor the wellbeing of the children as they do with all children who are in families. The idea is that adoptive families have been monitored and should function like any other family.

Bio parents are given numerous chances to reunite with their children for up to 18 months. If progress is not made an adoption plan can be made as early as 6 months, but often will not be made until after one year. There are many many chances for bio parents to reunify with their children especially post 2017 when CPS did a system-wide audit. The cases of bio parents overturning adoption are rare, even with getting their lives together the only way they can do it is if there was something done wrong in the original adoption (courts mishandled a part of the process which is also rare) even if the bio parent gets everything together they can petition to overturn the adoption but it rarely happens. They can petition the courts at any time, but it doesn't mean that the case will be heard.

Having an open adoption is best unless safety is a concern. Allowing birth family to see the child either through visits, pictures or letters is best for all involved, however, if safety is an issue then it is not okay. That is up to the adoptive parents to decide.

I get frustrated when people say foster parents are in it for the money, there isn't much money involved (even a grand doesn't go very far in California) and these kids have needs. You may neglect these needs I guess, but since most foster/adoptive kids are traumatized their needs are pretty significant and if you do neglect them, I'm pretty sure CPS will come on back to your house. Some foster parents might not be the best parents, but they have to get the kids to their appointments, clean, groomed, and on time...or anyone can call the abuse hotline.

There is a lot that is unknown in this case...we just don't have enough facts about anyone involved, except for two missing boys...who seemed to have just vanished.

Last edited:
I am all updated, maybe except for some things on social media and youtube. I welcome suggestions of where to find info also, and sure do hope
MSM works a little more diligently like they did in the Gannon Stauch case when they caught up with Leticia-Cousin Itt interview; and when they got
the neighbor Rodderick Drayton to show them his surveillance video.

Case Archive is interesting, and updated as of today.
Orrin and Orson West -CA-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members