Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to quickly address the name changes as well (I counsel adoptive families). Many families choose to give their adopted children family names, change their middle name, and sometimes even the first name (depending on the situation). Our children all chose to change some part of their names, and two of them changed their names completely. Both of them were named after people who they were trying to forget.

The children are grafted into the adopting family, they are considered “biological” by law. IMO the biological family should not have been called into question so quickly. Birth mom hadn’t visited/seen the children in over two years.

So, yes, it’s done often in the adoption world and there is nothing “nefarious” about it.

Of course, there are so many other sketchy things about this case... IMO.
In glad you said this. I was adopted from birth. My original name given to me by my biological mother was Alisha Star. Thankfully my parents (adoptive) decided to change it. I still consider changing my name again because my parents decided to still give me a variant of bio mom's name.

And thank you so mentioning that by law the children are considered biological. Once the adoptions goes through, there should be nothing to differentiate them between a blood related child and an adoptive child.

Vigilantism won’t help find these boys imo.
The black and white video appears to be from a neighbor's security camera. If so then what the reporter said during the presser is correct; that LE has footage from nearby houses.

While I'm very suspicious of the parents I agree that vigilantism is a terrible response. Ironically, the aggression began when the parents didn't come out to talk to and "thank" the community. And it only got worse after they came out and spoke.

IMO LE is focused on the house and not the desert for a reason. I believe they have way more evidence of... something that we're not privy to right now. I don't believe there was some sort of accident nor do I believe this was a stranger abduction.

And we're still waiting to hear when the boys were last seen by anyone outside of the family. All MOO.

IMO LE is focused on the house and not the desert for a reason. I believe they have way more evidence of... something that we're not privy to right now. I don't believe there was some sort of accident nor do I believe this was a stranger abduction.

And we're still waiting to hear when the boys were last seen by anyone outside of the family. All MOO.

Agree on the "inside the house vs desert" theory. Especially as some people have mentioned, that the boys may have never actually made it to the new home. Can't find any DNA of them in the house? You can be pretty sure they never lived there. MOO

If the last known contact is questionable, is there DNA OF the boys? Would DNA be on file relative to paternity, foster care, court order, adoption? Did they HAVE toothbrushes? Does anything have their scent still on it? These little boys can't just cease to have ever existed. :(

JMO

If you legally adopt your foster children the state still pays you for their care?
Yes. But if you're family who makes sure a child never goes to foster care, you get ZERO assistance in any way. (In Florida!)

I appear to be alone in my thoughts on this (admittedly not caught up) but I have to say- if you've been proven fit to adopt I totally agree the invasion of privacy should stop. If there are questions, those need to be dealt with accordingly. THAT is where the problems tend to lie, from my experience and observation.

I'm trying to catch up!

Although in the long run, I don't think the fire wood story has much to do with what really happened to these two boys, I will say he could've been using construction wood from the nearby empty home/lot as fire wood. IMO

I don't remember this. Can someone refresh my memory about there being an empty or under-construction house nearby?

Could the kids have wandered there? Where is it located? Thanks.

The black and white video appears to be from a neighbor's security camera. If so then what the reporter said during the presser is correct; that LE has footage from nearby houses.

While I'm very suspicious of the parents I agree that vigilantism is a terrible response. Ironically, the aggression began when the parents didn't come out to talk to and "thank" the community. And it only got worse after they came out and spoke.

Agree with your speculation on this case. The focus should shift not to respond to the adoptive father's rendition of events, but to establishing definitively when the two boys were last seen alive by anyone. That should be the starting point, not the "playing with chalk in the yard" tale. I want to know:

-Last three credible sightings from adults not related to, or friends of the adoptive parents
-Last medical examination
-Records, treatment, and explanation of the one child's broken leg
-*Recent* photos and videos of boys
-Sources of income for the adoptive parents
-Large purchases made since last credible sightings of two missing boys
-Any out of town trips made since last credible sighting of two missing boys
-Examination of phone records that shows trips outside of town; explain them
-Witness observation and report of anyone who has babysat for the children since the last credible sighting of them
-Any change in medical condition of either adoptive parents since last credible sighting of children (Need for anxiety or sleep medication, etc.)
-Since last credible sighting any purchases of shovels, tarps
-*EXAMINATION OF GROCERY BILLS* - since last credible sighting of missing children, has there been a notable reduction in grocery bills/reduction of items purchased associated with children
-Cessation of purchase of items associated with missing children: If either child had a condition that required routine prescriptions or even particular ointments, etc., have those items stopped being purchased and when?

The list could go on....

Amateur opinion and speculation

I don't remember this. Can someone refresh my memory about there being an empty or under-construction house nearby?

Could the kids have wandered there? Where is it located? Thanks.
This is the only reference I can remember about where TW was looking:

West was collecting wood for a fire from a nearby field to start a fire. When he returned from the house to the outside, he said the boys were missing and quickly began a search in the immediate area before calling CCPD to report them missing.
Chief Walker provides update on missing boys

Walker confirmed that multiple dog searches have been conducted but have not found traces of the boys outside the house.
Two California City boys remain missing

RSBM

I wonder, if they also did not find traces of the boys inside the house, if they'd mention that publicly yet?

Or, if they did find evidence of them inside the house, just not outside, as their dad stated.

This is the only reference I can remember about where TW was looking:

West was collecting wood for a fire from a nearby field to start a fire. When he returned from the house to the outside, he said the boys were missing and quickly began a search in the immediate area before calling CCPD to report them missing.
Chief Walker provides update on missing boys

Thanks, @imstilla.grandma . Regardless of where TW was collecting firewood from (I assume he was gathering twigs and small branches from the shrubs in the next door lot), I want to know if there is actually an empty house nearby. Thinking along Harley Dilly lines, if there is, it would be a tempting place for little boys to explore.

At the same time, I would confidently assume that LE will have already searched such a place, assuming they are aware of an empty house. Which they probably are.

I just snagged on mention of an empty house or construction site since I hadn't recalled it being mentioned before.

Thanks, @imstilla.grandma . Regardless of where TW was collecting firewood from (I assume he was gathering twigs and small branches from the shrubs in the next door lot), I want to know if there is actually an empty house nearby. Thinking along Harley Dilly lines, if there is, it would be a tempting place for little boys to explore.

At the same time, I would confidently assume that LE will have already searched such a place, assuming they are aware of an empty house. Which they probably are.

I just snagged on mention of an empty house or construction site since I hadn't recalled it being mentioned before.
One of the posts earlier in the thread mentioned it. I think someone noticed something on a photo. I can’t get Gannon Stauch, Harley or the little Oklahoma toddlers (Miracle and Tony Crook) out of my mind while reading this thread. I’ve been reminiscing over 2020 cases that broke my heart and these are the top three for me.

RSBM

I wonder, if they also did not find traces of the boys inside the house, if they'd mention that publicly yet?

Or, if they did find evidence of them inside the house, just not outside, as their dad stated.
I know their vehicle was impounded. I can’t remember, was it stored in a garage and would the garage be considered inside?

eta: there is something not right about some of his statements as to the sequence. I can’t put my finger on it. It bugged me throughout the day yesterday. It still is gnawing at me. Also, why stress the word “briefly” it seems like it was important to him. Will one of y’all take a look at some of his statements and see if I’m just obsessing? Here’s a partial timeline and some additional links.
Timeline:
  • Monday, early evening — Orson and Orrin play outside as their adoptive father gathers firewood, according to their adoptive parents. The father, Trevol West, later tells the media he briefly went back inside the house, and when he came out the boys were gone. He says he drove through nearby streets and spoke with neighbors but couldn’t find them.
  • Monday, around 6 p.m. — The boys’ adoptive parents report them missing.
  • Monday, around 8 p.m. — California City police send out a news release that provides a description of the boys but not their names or photographs. That information is released hours later.
  • Monday night — Volunteers and police search areas near where the boys went missing. Police bring K9s to the home. The dogs find the boys’ scent inside the house, but not outdoors.
  • Tuesday, around 9 a.m. — With daylight, volunteers continue the search and spread through the surrounding area. They find nothing.
  • Tuesday afternoon — Police take the adoptive parents in for further questioning
TIMELINE: California City boys Orson and Orrin West still missing | KGET 17

KTLA 5 reports that the boys’ adoptive father, Trezell West, said the children were in the backyard playing when he stepped out briefly to open a gate and gather wood. The boys’ adoptive mother, Jaqueline West, said she was inside wrapping presents.
‘Someone knows’: Up to $10K reward offered for missing boys who reportedly vanished from backyard at the same time

“I came in the house,” Trezol West said. “I saw them there, went into the house, came back out, didn’t see them there.”

Trezol says he and his wife searched inside the house and around the back yard. He then drove around the neighborhood calling their names and talking to neighbors. But saw nothing.

“I came home and I told my wife, ‘We need to call the cops’,” Trezol West said. “It’s getting dark and I need help, we’ve gotta get going.”

“And thats all I want is to find our babies, that’s it,” West said.
Two missing boys in California City: Here’s what we know | KGET 17

“I came in the house,” Trezol West told KGET. “I saw them there, went into the house, came back out, didn’t see them there.”

When his wife confirmed that she hadn't seen the boys either, panic set in.

"I realized that I left the back gate open and I panicked and came inside the house, searched the house, me and my wife. Once that didn't pan out, I got in the van, I looked down the street in both directions, it was getting dark, getting cold," he said, 23ABC reports.

Trezol West said he immediately began searching the neighborhood for the pair and called police for help.
Calif. Brothers, 3 and 4, Vanished 8 Days Ago After Dad Said He Momentarily Left Them in Yard

"I came in the house, I saw them there. I go in the house, I came back out, I didn't see them there," Trezell West said.

“I open up the back gate, I'm throwing wood, bringing it inside the house. My wife's inside, she was actually wrapping gifts so we thought it was a good idea that our youngest two go outside and play with chalk on the back patio," added West.

"I realized that I left the back gate open and I panicked and came inside the house, searched the house, me and my wife. Once that didn't pan out, I got in the van, I looked down the street in both directions, it was getting dark, getting cold," West said.
Adoptive parents of missing 3 and 4 year-old California City kids speak out for the first time

Last edited:
RSBM

Chief Walker says there is proof children have been living in the house. Eyewitness News asked him if those children include Orrin and Orson West and he said not necessarily.

California City Police Chief says case of missing boys is still an active investigation

Agree on the "inside the house vs desert" theory. Especially as some people have mentioned, that the boys may have never actually made it to the new home. Can't find any DNA of them in the house? You can be pretty sure they never lived there. MOO
Did they say LE can’t find DNA of the boys inside the house?!?

I don’t think they need DNA from things like toothbrushes or clothes. They can compare any suspected DNA to the birth mother. And I do believe the birth fathers are known to the birth mother and LE, even if they wish to remain anonymous to the public now, and could contribute a sample if necessary.

I’d be surprised if DNA isn’t routinely taken for children entering the foster system.

I don’t think they need DNA from things like toothbrushes or clothes. They can compare any suspected DNA to the birth mother. And I do believe the birth fathers are known to the birth mother and LE, even if they wish to remain anonymous to the public now, and could contribute a sample if necessary.

I’d be surprised if DNA isn’t routinely taken for children entering the foster system.
True, they don't "need" to obtain the DNA from inside the home. But usually in a missing persons case LE will take a sample from a toothbrush or other item at the start of the investigation.

What stands out to me is that the chief said there was not necessarily evidence that the children were living in the home. If no DNA was found on their toothbrushes or other items belonging to the boys then it could be an indication that they never lived there.

It's also possible that there were no toothbrushes, clothes, or toys that were found belonging to the boys.

Imo

Last edited:
IMO I am really wishing I had not clicked on this thread. Things are not looking good & I have these boys on my mind a lot. Based on SM, which I know cannot be shared or discussed but I will briefly say the parents appear to have a supportive extended family & all of their children appear well-loved by the extended family.. I do hope just one of those family members speaks up because I'm sure they are putting pieces together now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024