Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember this. Can someone refresh my memory about there being an empty or under-construction house nearby?

Could the kids have wandered there? Where is it located? Thanks.

Sorry, I believe someone mentioned up thread that the house next door looked empty so I was just speculating that maybe there was construction wood in the yard that he was using for firewood. This was just my speculation though, not based on facts or links. IMO

Agree with your speculation on this case. The focus should shift not to respond to the adoptive father's rendition of events, but to establishing definitively when the two boys were last seen alive by anyone. That should be the starting point, not the "playing with chalk in the yard" tale. I want to know:

-Last three credible sightings from adults not related to, or friends of the adoptive parents
-Last medical examination
-Records, treatment, and explanation of the one child's broken leg
-*Recent* photos and videos of boys
-Sources of income for the adoptive parents
-Large purchases made since last credible sightings of two missing boys
-Any out of town trips made since last credible sighting of two missing boys
-Examination of phone records that shows trips outside of town; explain them
-Witness observation and report of anyone who has babysat for the children since the last credible sighting of them
-Any change in medical condition of either adoptive parents since last credible sighting of children (Need for anxiety or sleep medication, etc.)
-Since last credible sighting any purchases of shovels, tarps
-*EXAMINATION OF GROCERY BILLS* - since last credible sighting of missing children, has there been a notable reduction in grocery bills/reduction of items purchased associated with children
-Cessation of purchase of items associated with missing children: If either child had a condition that required routine prescriptions or even particular ointments, etc., have those items stopped being purchased and when?

The list could go on....

Amateur opinion and speculation

This is really good. Send it to LE out there! I know we always think LE has all their ducks in a row, but it's a strange time, with lots of trainees in the field, and way too many cases to look into.

JW told 23ABC that she thinks the boys were kidnapped.

"They do not just roam around these patches, they definitely would have been picked up or something," West said.
Former BPD Lt. weighs in on missing California City boys case, gives insight into investigation

Does anyone know what she meant by patches?

I used to live in the desert in soCal, and my grandfather in-law that also lived there, called the open desert around our house the "patch" of desert.
Specifically he called it "out yonder way in the patch of desert". :)
Just a reference to the open spaces, that aren't part of someone's yard or private property.

This is really good. Send it to LE out there! I know we always think LE has all their ducks in a row, but it's a strange time, with lots of trainees in the field, and way too many cases to look into.
I think so too. I meant to praise Roses and got distracted. Great analytical thought went into her post. Thank you @rosesfromangels

JW told 23ABC that she thinks the boys were kidnapped.

"They do not just roam around these patches, they definitely would have been picked up or something," West said.
Former BPD Lt. weighs in on missing California City boys case, gives insight into investigation

Does anyone know what she meant by patches?
Hmmmmmm. They went missing 4:30-5:00pm. Police were not called until 6:00 pm. That's an hr- hr1/2 that slipped away. IIRC TW stated he called right away making it sound like he called within minutes,not a whole hour and a half. SMH. MOO

Not trying to contradict, but are you aware of the agencies involved in the investigation? Cal City PD, FBI, Kern County Sheriff Department & Bakersfield Police Department. Pretty distinguished list of agencies helping CCPD, JMO.

Not trying to contradict, but are you aware of the agencies involved in the investigation? Cal City PD, FBI, Kern County Sheriff Department & Bakersfield Police Department. Pretty distinguished list of agencies helping CCPD, JMO.
Yes, the response has been amazing.
Not sure they are thinking about grocery receipts tho. ; )

amateur opinion and speculation

But they're asking for all the tips/help they can get.

Sure, they're likely to put personnel on this case, but it can't hurt, can it? Is there a reason you think citizens shouldn't contact them with a couple of suggestions?

It happens all the time. Each of those agencies is very likely doing a different part of the investigation. Bakersfield PD is involved because the bio parents are in Bakersfield, the main investigation is KCSD. It definitely needs help - it's a high crime county, it is stretched very thin.

FBI is helping with the DNA and other forensics, hopefully they are the ones who will try to get bank records. But local PD could actually approach local grocery stores for footage and receipts in an entirely different manner - and yes, that could be important.

There is no FBI field office in Kern County, so I doubt they are actually going out to grocery stores. Cal City PD is not, IMO, "distinguished" at all. They have been trying to get more officers for as long as I can remember (I have family up that way).

Basically, the entities that would be going out to grocery stores for footage (which would also be excellent to see if both parents shopped together - and if they took all six kids routinely), would be CCPD and KCSD. At this time of year, when local crime is pretty high, they may not have prioritized the things on Rose's list.

Later on, that fact may be relevant and trust me, when LE get an actual email from someone in the public, they know there's now a tip/record that needs following up in some way. It will soon be too late for grocery video (and convenience store and gas station video/employee recollection) to be available.

I'm curious though - do you know of any cases where the FBI had boots on the ground in a case like this one? I'm trying to think of one, but can only think of ones where FBI offered specific forensic help on the ground, when a site that was a potential burial site was under warrant and being searched.

moo: I believe the little boys are no longer with us due to the adoptive parent’s neglect. From moment one of their interview, it was clear to me that his explanation was one of overcompensating to appear caring, careful and watchful.
RSBM
This, exactly. Overcompensation, over detailed and clear rehearsal of the narrative.

Was so sad to not hear them use their children’s names, or plead for further searches.

sure hope they have more evidence than they led on in the press conference, but I’m sure they do.

it’s been so hard checking up on other watched threads, these babies have been all I can think about.

moo

I know their vehicle was impounded. I can’t remember, was it stored in a garage and would the garage be considered inside?

eta: there is something not right about some of his statements as to the sequence. I can’t put my finger on it. It bugged me throughout the day yesterday. It still is gnawing at me. Also, why stress the word “briefly” it seems like it was important to him. Will one of y’all take a look at some of his statements and see if I’m just obsessing? Here’s a partial timeline and some additional links.
Timeline:
  • Monday, early evening — Orson and Orrin play outside as their adoptive father gathers firewood, according to their adoptive parents. The father, Trevol West, later tells the media he briefly went back inside the house, and when he came out the boys were gone. He says he drove through nearby streets and spoke with neighbors but couldn’t find them.
  • Monday, around 6 p.m. — The boys’ adoptive parents report them missing.
  • Monday, around 8 p.m. — California City police send out a news release that provides a description of the boys but not their names or photographs. That information is released hours later.
  • Monday night — Volunteers and police search areas near where the boys went missing. Police bring K9s to the home. The dogs find the boys’ scent inside the house, but not outdoors.
  • Tuesday, around 9 a.m. — With daylight, volunteers continue the search and spread through the surrounding area. They find nothing.
  • Tuesday afternoon — Police take the adoptive parents in for further questioning
TIMELINE: California City boys Orson and Orrin West still missing | KGET 17

KTLA 5 reports that the boys’ adoptive father, Trezell West, said the children were in the backyard playing when he stepped out briefly to open a gate and gather wood. The boys’ adoptive mother, Jaqueline West, said she was inside wrapping presents.
‘Someone knows’: Up to $10K reward offered for missing boys who reportedly vanished from backyard at the same time

“I came in the house,” Trezol West said. “I saw them there, went into the house, came back out, didn’t see them there.”

Trezol says he and his wife searched inside the house and around the back yard. He then drove around the neighborhood calling their names and talking to neighbors. But saw nothing.

“I came home and I told my wife, ‘We need to call the cops’,” Trezol West said. “It’s getting dark and I need help, we’ve gotta get going.”

“And thats all I want is to find our babies, that’s it,” West said.
Two missing boys in California City: Here’s what we know | KGET 17

“I came in the house,” Trezol West told KGET. “I saw them there, went into the house, came back out, didn’t see them there.”

When his wife confirmed that she hadn't seen the boys either, panic set in.

"I realized that I left the back gate open and I panicked and came inside the house, searched the house, me and my wife. Once that didn't pan out, I got in the van, I looked down the street in both directions, it was getting dark, getting cold," he said, 23ABC reports.

Trezol West said he immediately began searching the neighborhood for the pair and called police for help.
Calif. Brothers, 3 and 4, Vanished 8 Days Ago After Dad Said He Momentarily Left Them in Yard

"I came in the house, I saw them there. I go in the house, I came back out, I didn't see them there," Trezell West said.

“I open up the back gate, I'm throwing wood, bringing it inside the house. My wife's inside, she was actually wrapping gifts so we thought it was a good idea that our youngest two go outside and play with chalk on the back patio," added West.

"I realized that I left the back gate open and I panicked and came inside the house, searched the house, me and my wife. Once that didn't pan out, I got in the van, I looked down the street in both directions, it was getting dark, getting cold," West said.
Adoptive parents of missing 3 and 4 year-old California City kids speak out for the first time
No the van was in the driveway. I doubt it would have fit in the garage

RSBM
This, exactly. Overcompensation, over detailed and clear rehearsal of the narrative.

The way he described his actions "I open up the back gate, I'm throwing wood, bringing it inside the house." is very... awkward? Sounds like someone telling the less-important set up for a larger story that is being led into and is known, not the way you would describe the very important and theoretically only known detailed events leading up to the disappearance of your children. IMO, it's a weird way to talk about your kids. Was there any discussion about anything else the boys did that day or previous days? MOO

The way he described his actions "I open up the back gate, I'm throwing wood, bringing it inside the house." is very... awkward? Sounds like someone telling the less-important set up for a larger story that is being led into and is known, not the way you would describe the very important and theoretically only known detailed events leading up to the disappearance of your children. IMO, it's a weird way to talk about your kids. Was there any discussion about anything else the boys did that day or previous days? MOO
Like I said before, it seemed like the gas station employee was truly upset. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member