CA - Oscar Grant, 22, fatally shot by BART officer, Oakland, 1 Jan 2009 *GUILTY* *Reopened in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
that is an ok verdict for me, he is found guilty for the death of Oscar but no intent was formed, lets hope for peace in the city of Oakland

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...-killer-Johannes-Mehserle-cleared-murder.html

there was some violence in Oakland after the verdict, I had hoped that a guilty verdict to involuntary manslaughter would have allowed people to see that Oscar got some justice

and Oscars family are not happy with the verdict,

hopefully it will now all calm down,

I did hear he could get up to 4 years in prison, I think any jail time will be suspended, I don't think he will serve any time, probably a long period of probation

And if he gets no jail time more than likely Oakland will erupt again. I do hope last night was the end of the anger - but what goes on at sentencing will be another hold your breath day...

I agree Joe- it was a fair verdict.

Totally wrong verdict IMO. I've watched that over and over and he had intent and I think he knew it was his GUN not a taser. Don't buy it. Feel very sorry for the family and friends.

And if he gets no jail time more than likely Oakland will erupt again. I do hope last night was the end of the anger - but what goes on at sentencing will be another hold your breath day...

I agree Joe- it was a fair verdict.

sentencing will be another flash point, there will be victim impact statements, they are always heartbreaking,

I hope the judge sentences him to prison, he did take a life after all even if he did not intend to do so, but as I said I don't expect any prison time

The feds are going to investigate for civil rights violations. Hopefully they can get a few more years added to his already WEAK conviction. (And before anyone wonders, I am 100 percent white so it's not a race issue and I'm pro LE. I don't have a dog in this fight. I just know injustice when I see it, and LE is NOT always right!)

http://cbs13.com/local/bart.mehserle.trial.2.1794788.html

snip...In a move reminiscent of the Rodney King beating case in Los Angeles, the federal government said it intends to investigate Johannes Mehserle, who was found guilty Thursday in state court of involuntary manslaughter in the death of 22-year-old Oscar Grant.
.snip...

The feds are going to investigate for civil rights violations. Hopefully they can get a few more years added to his already WEAK conviction. (And before anyone wonders, I am 100 percent white so it's not a race issue and I'm pro LE. I don't have a dog in this fight. I just know injustice when I see it, and LE is NOT always right!)

http://cbs13.com/local/bart.mehserle.trial.2.1794788.html

snip...In a move reminiscent of the Rodney King beating case in Los Angeles, the federal government said it intends to investigate Johannes Mehserle, who was found guilty Thursday in state court of involuntary manslaughter in the death of 22-year-old Oscar Grant.
.snip...

glad to hear it, some of the other police officers may get charged with some federal charges aswell

Totally wrong verdict IMO. I've watched that over and over and he had intent and I think he knew it was his GUN not a taser. Don't buy it. Feel very sorry for the family and friends.

To pull a gun deliberately and shoot someone in full view of lots and lots of witnesses? I just don't see that. In addition, he looked pretty surprised if you look at his face immediately after the shooting. Initially I too thought he shot Oscar Grant deliberately - but upon watching the films over and over he looks genuinely shocked/surprised following the shooting. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this tragedy - to include Mehserle's family and friends.

Posted: 4:12 pm PDT July 14, 2010
Updated: 4:29 pm PDT July 14, 2010
LOS ANGELES -- The sentencing date for former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle has been moved from its originally scheduled date of August 6 to Friday, November 5, according to a media advisory issued Wednesday afternoon by the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Mehserle was convicted last Thursday of involuntary manslaughter for the fatal shooting of Oscar Grant at the Fruitvale BART station in Oakland early New Year's Day in 2009.The case is now on calendar for Friday, Nov. 5, 2010, at 8:30 a.m. for motions and sentencing.Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry has a tremendous amount of discretion in handing down punishment Aug. 6 against Johannes Mehserle anywhere from probation to 14 years.There's also the possibility he could get probation for time served.Involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence of two to four years, but since jurors found guilty on an extra gun charge, three to ten years could be added to the sentence.Legal scholars put an interesting spin on the verdict saying it is illogical to punish a cop for having a gun when have one is part of the job.They add jurors are punishing Mehserle for firing it, when their own verdict says he didn't mean to."If they thing he didn't realize that it was a gun, she they have said he personally used a firearm," said Stanford University law professor Robert Weisberg, "and in any event, does any of that make sense, when of course a police officer carries a firearm."Experts noted that without the gun enhancement, it is possible Mehserle could receive probation. If the judge opted to toss the enhancement out, that would seem to revoke his own instructions, and rebuke the jury, plus invite legal appeals.KTVU was told it is like Mehserle will receive concurrent sentences."He'll be smart enough to realize the questions about gun enhancement are going to cause problems at appeal," said Santa Clara University law professor Edward Steinman, "so he'll say forget that, I'm giving him three years on involuntary manslaughter, and three years on the gun enhancement, to be served concurrently. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/24262435/detail.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...-killer-Johannes-Mehserle-cleared-murder.html

there was some violence in Oakland after the verdict, I had hoped that a guilty verdict to involuntary manslaughter would have allowed people to see that Oscar got some justice

and Oscars family are not happy with the verdict,

hopefully it will now all calm down,

I did hear he could get up to 4 years in prison, I think any jail time will be suspended, I don't think he will serve any time, probably a long period of probation
Most of the 70-80 something people arrested were rabble-rousers from outside of Oakland, doesn't represent the true feelings in the Bay Area...
Oscar was no angel either, he was resisting arrest, and his buddies were taunting the Bart officers- they are not the police brutality mentality that Oakland PD has the reputation for!

Two years in prison with credit for time served. John Burris on now ranting about injustices...

Oh boy. Wonder how things will be here in the Bay.

I agree with this sentence. I just can't find that he would pull his gun out and intentionally shoot the guy right there in front of his fellow officers and all the people in a BART station. Accident,, negligent yes - the gun enhancement was a farce (it's inteded for criminals who use guns, not cops who do so in accidents). The trial was moved and the jury and this judge are seeing things without the emotional prejudice of the community so I hope everyone can find some peace. I feel for Grant's family. Bitterness will not be easily avoided although I pray it can be for their sakes.

I'm with you Ziggy. The judge obviously agreed with you as he threw the gun enhancement charge out. Let's hope peace prevails tonight. May both the Mehserle and Grant families move on to healing...

I didn't think I should start a new thread for this, but maybe it can be moved if this is the wrong place for this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_train_station_shooting

capt.8856cf9c13e54d2da600ecf53739e03f-b3232be0974c464aae7b4c1f32e5091c-0.jpg

In the past, the violent protests over a white transit officer's slaying of an unarmed black man trashed downtown Oakland businesses. But after Johannes Mehserle on Friday received the minimum two-year sentence for slaying Oscar Grant, angry demonstrators marched into residential areas near Lake Merritt for the first time, putting innocent people in harm's way.

Police arrested 152 protesters, including seven juveniles, on suspicion of crimes including vandalism, unlawful assembly and disturbing the peace

California prosecutor will reopen investigation into the fatal shooting of Oscar Grant - ABC17NEWS

Northern California prosecutors are reopening the investigation into the 2009 death of Oscar Grant at the hands of Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officers, according to a Monday statement from Alameda County.

The decision to reopen the case more than a decade later follows demands from Grant’s family. Grant was fatally shot January 1, 2009, while lying face down on a platform at the Fruitvale Station in Oakland.

“I have assigned a team of lawyers to look back into the circumstances that caused the death of Oscar Grant,” O’Malley’s statement read. “We will evaluate the evidence and the law, including the applicable law at the time and the statute of limitations and make a determination.”

The reopening of the case comes as the country is coming to terms with law enforcement’s relationship with the Black community. The deaths of George Floyd in Minnesota, Breonna Taylor in Kentucky and Rayshard Brooks in Georgia have renewed calls for police reform across the country.

So ten years later they want to re open the case? Since when are cases re opened just because someone doesn’t like the outcome of a trial?
IMO, this case wouldn’t be re opened if not for the current climate against LE.
It feels like blatant pot stirring to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back