CA - Oscar Grant, 22, fatally shot by BART officer, Oakland, 1 Jan 2009 *GUILTY* *Reopened in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have little sympathy for him, he is testifying now to try to save himself, he chose to not assist in the investigation, and refused to tell his story to the police, he has had along time like all defendants to prep himself for his day in court,

I would have thought being a police officer who is now saying he mistakenly shot Grant he would have told his story to the original investigating officers, as if he truly believed he had done nothing wrong and it was a genuine accident then what did he have to hide when he was asked to give a statement,

like all defendants police officers or civilians he hid behind his lawyers until he decided when and what story to tell, which is his legal right, but judging him as I do all defendants his non co operation to me points to he knew he had done something wrong, and he is now trying to get away with it,

I don't think his actions merit a 1st degree murder conviction, but I do think they reach the level of manslaughter, possibly 2nd degree murder

Joe- it was always my impression that he was following the orders of his first attorney to say nothing, nothing at all to anyone. Then when Rains came on as his new attorney - he started letting out "the truth" of what had gone on, but still keeping Mehserle silent. I always wondered if maybe Mehserle wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier and that's why both lawyers had him keep his lips sealed completely. It will be very interesting to see how he handles himself during cross examination. So my question to you is- do you think the tears, the weeping etc were legitimate or were they part of a show for the jury?

Joe- it was always my impression that he was following the orders of his first attorney to say nothing, nothing at all to anyone. Then when Rains came on as his new attorney - he started letting out "the truth" of what had gone on, but still keeping Mehserle silent. I always wondered if maybe Mehserle wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier and that's why both lawyers had him keep his lips sealed completely. It will be very interesting to see how he handles himself during cross examination. So my question to you is- do you think the tears, the weeping etc were legitimate or were they part of a show for the jury?

I think that he genuinely feels bad because he killed someone, but I also think he is prepped for testifying, and he is not stupid, he knows tears are required, whether they are genuine or not for the loss of Grant or for himself only he knows,

I don't expect a conviction, and I don't think there will be a huge reaction from the local community, the length of time after the crime and the moving the trial may have tempered some of the anger, at least I have everything crossed that after the verdict there is no trouble

Ex-BART officer says he mistakenly pulled gun

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 9:42 a.m.

LOS ANGELES — A former San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer has testified that he mistakenly pulled out his handgun instead of a stun gun when he shot and killed an unarmed black man on an Oakland train platform last year.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/25/ex-bart-officer-says-he-mistakenly-pulled-gun/

FWIW, I actually believe the guy that he THOUGHT he'd pulled his stun gun. From the very beginning eye-witnesses said after the gun discharged, the officer looked stunned. I immediately thought he'd meant to pull the stun gun rather than his hand gun.

I don't know if it'll make any difference. Too bad an innocent young life was lost because of a 'mistake.':(

JMHO
fran

At times I find myself absolutely disgusted and suspicious of LE in this country. That said, I often have to remind myself that it's mainly the BAD apples that get the press, not the tens of thousands of GOOD officers that do their jobs with integrity.

I tend to agree with you, Joe, about his not cooperating with the investigation. He should have. I can also see that his attorney told him not to. But, he shot and killed someone. If he truly made a mistake, why would that be bad for him to admit. Did his attorney really think that if he just kept quiet, that all this would go away? Sometimes, attorneys need to let their clients tell what happened and not just keep quiet on everything hoping it will go away. People need to be accountable for their actions, not just hope to skate on a technicality. That's only my opinion, not a legal point of view, of course.
His gun was on the right and the taser was on the left. Mr. Mehserle, you made a huge mistake.

There is no way a jury will convict him on 1st degree murder and I can't figure out why the prosecution insisted on bringing this charge. Don't see 2nd degree either - no wanton, willful, conscious disregard for the value of human life, intent to create great bodily injury (outside of his authority as a peace officer with a taser) and not in the commission of a felony - this seems like a straight up manslaughter case.

If the jury is not allowed to consider lesser charges, I think he may be acquitted and then there will be riots. The anger here in Oakland has not been subdued by time and people will be looking for a reason to make trouble when this verdict comes about.

Interesting case - I don't think he intentionally pulled his gun to shoot a guy in the back; it was a criminally negligent mistake and he should not walk - but that is precisely why there are manslaughter charges.

Tick tock, keep wondering about this case and find little news on it on a regular basis.

I agree- time has not calmed down the emotions over this. There's a lot of talk that they are deliberately underreporting what's going with the trial in the Bay Area so as to not further inflame or "incite" the people who are already upset over this case. Tick tock is right...unfortunately.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/28/BA341E6B1T.DTL

The comments following this article very well describe the tensions going on in the Oakland area - as well as the concern about what might possibly be coming down following the verdict. Last night on the news they said the City of Oakland has sent out letters to residents and businesses to park their cars in secure safe locations following the verdict and to remove large trash receptacles from the streets so they definitely seem to be preparing for the worst...

I am still optimistic that there won't be any serious trouble after the verdict, even though I expect a NG, if they get murder 2 or manslaughter charges there may be a G verdict which will hopefully calm any trouble that people may be thinking of causing

even though I think he is G of choosing to use his gun and not his taser I don't think he meant to kill him,

the city of Oakland must be on its last nerve though, waiting for what may come

From what I heard reported this morning- closings will take the brunt of the day - they figure tomorrow will be when the jury starts to deliberate and then home for the long weekend. They also said IF there was a verdict on Friday that they could and probably would hold it over until Saturday morning as they are trying to hold off possible trouble Friday night. The talking head, a lawyer, Royal Oakes, said the deliberations could go on for awhile due to the multiple choices for a verdict that the jurors now have. For some reason - I feel the verdict will come fairly quickly. We shall see...

My gut is telling me. No matter what the jury comes back with. The bay area is going to see mass problems. Esp Oakland I grew up in Hayward and have followed this one close. I have all the respect in the world for Oscar's family as they are asking for no Riots or destruction regardless .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back