CA - Oscar Grant, 22, fatally shot by BART officer, Oakland, 1 Jan 2009 *GUILTY* *Reopened in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Although I disagree, I doubt they press charges if they need his testimony against the other guy. IMO of course.

This is very sad for both families, but this officer needs to be prosecuted. He took the life of another human being for no reason. Shame on him.
He is hiding behind his attorney. He knows he is guilty, accident or no, that is why he is not talking. Hoping the attorney can come up with some circumstance to get him out of it. Coward.

trial starts on Thursday, it has been moved to Los Angeles,

It will be very interesting to see how this all turns out. People in the Bay Area are already concerned as to what will happen in Oakland if they don't convict him. The sentiments are still very strong in Oakland about this case - a year and a half later. I really wish the judge had let this be televised. Thanks for the links! I'll check in periodically through the day to see what's happening...

for the state it is very difficult as they are prosecuting a police officer, and they are normally prosecuting with the assistance of the police, so it is a fine line for them to tread,

I think it is wrong for the judge to allow both sides to edit the video taken from the scene and select only clips they think will help there case, I think all the video taken that night should be shown unedited and complete to the jury, let the jury decide what the video shows,

the verdict will be the cause of much tension, but I do hope that by moving it away from the community where it occurred there will be less tension when the verdict is rendered,

I also have a problem with the defendant not co-operating with the investigation, if he feels as he must do (he is pleading not guilty) that he did nothing wrong then why not tell his side of the story to the investigators,

instead he resigned and is going to tell the jury what happened, when it is in his own self interest,

after openings the states case in chief next witnesses were about the video evidence, the state has 5 different videos taken at the scene that night by 5 different people, and the static video taken from the CTV on the station,

my thoughts on the case today are I now think the defendant chose to take his gun out of his holster, I do not think he mistook his gun for his taser, he had taken his taser out twice that night pre the shooting so he knew which side it was on, also pulling the trigger on a gun and firing a taser are two very different actions, so imo he knew he had the gun in his hand not the taser,

I do not think he formed the intent to shoot to kill, am unsure if he formed the intent to shoot, maybe as more evidence emerges I will have different opinions, but for now that is where I am at, and if he did form the intent to shoot then he is guilty imo as a firearm is a deadly weapon, and shooting a person at close range is bound to cause bodily injury or death

the defence atty seems to be on his game, and impeached the witness Margarita Carazo with video that proved her testimony incorrect, so he is up for the fight

Wow- very interesting. Why do you think he pulled his gun? The situation wasn't that out of control. Grant was down on the platform and it seems the worst of situation had passed. KGO talk radio did a full hour on this yesterday and several people brought out the fact that he had twice taken out his taser - and that the gun was on the opposite side of his duty belt than the taser...supposedly he also only had six hours of taser training and the fact that he drew his gun the third time instead of the taser was chalked up by several cops that called in as due to the "heat of the situation."

Wow- very interesting. Why do you think he pulled his gun? The situation wasn't that out of control. Grant was down on the platform and it seems the worst of situation had passed. KGO talk radio did a full hour on this yesterday and several people brought out the fact that he had twice taken out his taser - and that the gun was on the opposite side of his duty belt than the taser...supposedly he also only had six hours of taser training and the fact that he drew his gun the third time instead of the taser was chalked up by several cops that called in as due to the "heat of the situation."

I think he pulled his gun because he was angry, by this stage of the incident one of the other officers had already called Grant a , the cops were becoming agressive and I think he just got carried away, I do not have an opinion on what his intent was when he pulled out his gun but as I said before I now think he knew he had his gun in his hand,

in the opening statement by the prosecution they mentioned that in order to fire the gun he had to slide a button on the top of the gun (like taking the safety catch off) in order to fire the gun, so he did not just pull the gun out and it went off, he deliberately enabled the gun to be fired, and then fired it,

as of now I do not expect a guilty verdict though, Grant is not the most sympathetic victim, he has previously resisted arrest and the defence is allowed to tell the jury this, what Grant had done prior to this night should not play any part in this trial imo, the only thing the jury should consider is the fact that the defendant says he thought he was firing his taser and the prosecution say he deliberately shot Grant

we shall know in about a month what the jury decides

Also- I'm really curious at what point did you start to think he had intentionally drawn his gun? Was it something the prosecutor said in his opening statements?

Okay- you answered my question as I was writing it! That makes sense- thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back