Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've had a frozen chicken fall on my foot when I was getting it out of the freezer.
From a fridge with a freezer at the top.

Ouch!
When we were younger, my step brother pushed ahead of me to get something from the fridge as I was opening the freezer door and a package of frozen pork chops hit him and split the skin!

Here's a chest freezer that is nearly 7 feet long:
Frigidaire 24.8 cu. ft. Manual Defrost Chest Freezer, Adjustable Temperature Control FFCL2542AW - The Home Depot
Dimensions: H 31.75 in, W 83.125 in, D 29.55 in, 115 V 60 Hz AC (wattage not given)
Price at time of post: $1249.00 $1048.00
View attachment 471527

That looks like the one my mother used to own. You could have two or three average size people in it, if it was pretty empty.

it broke down, she almost fell in while cleaning all the food out of it, and after that she bought an upright model to replace it.

That looks like the one my mother used to own. You could have two or three average size people in it, if it was pretty empty.

it broke down, she almost fell in while cleaning all the food out of it, and after that she bought an upright model to replace it.

They are rare, though. Throughout the last 15 years, it's been hard to locate one. So expensive too, most people just get two smaller ones, if they have one at all.

Upright models were virtually unavailable during COVID (which is why we have 2 chest freezers). I'd be very surprised if the homeowners at this modest house in San Diego sprang for a 7 foot long (minus the 8 inches for the sides) freezer. People would have to be carefully stacked and average size in order to fit 3 of them into 75 inches and 29 inches deep.

IMO. It is fascinating to think about how hazardous they could be, though. I really miss my upright (easier to find things as well). Anyway, if a person fell in head first and broke their neck or was unconscious, they'd be legs up and in a position that was quite obvious to the first responders - all of that is in the record. Family called police immediately, so I'm guessing police saw the body as it was seen by the family.

Well, the Medical Examiner already got to a recent case seen in "Press Releases"-- a Non-Homicide (a tow truck driver). It just happened on 12/31/2023. So, they probably have some answers about this case, that happened 12/23/23, but haven't released any info yet.
Maybe that was a open and shut case (no pun intended).

When I was about 6 years old, my grandparents had 2 full size freezers like these. For some reason, I thought there were bodies in there, I have no idea why :rolleyes:

I am one of the short people who has overbalanced into a chest freezer. I took to cleaning it out by getting into it in the end if I was clearing it out properly.
I do remember as a child that our chest freezer had a lock which was operated by turning a key, which in turn rotated a hook.

I was looking for the link where it said the freezer was not secured/not locked, but have failed. I did find a Daily Mail link which says the deceased was a female relative… but it is the Daily Mail. I don’t remember any other article confirming it was a relative, just that she was female.

I've never seen a lock on any chest freezers, here in Australia.
They aren't allowed here, or that's what I've always been told.

Fridges used to have a locking mechanism, back in the sixties, until too many little kids suffocated and died playing in abandoned ones.

At the cottage my family used as a holiday home, right up until the nineties, it had an old sixties fridge with a hole in the front where the old locking handle had been pried off to make it comply with the law.

Here's a similar one, intact.

MOO

The conclusion I'm getting from all our varied experiences is that a lot of really weird things can happen around chest freezers and we're going to have to wait until the medical examiner or LE releases more details...

Sigh. I hate to wait.

Probably because they resemble a casket?

Amateur opinion and speculation
Believe it or not, I was a mini sleuth at that age! We had/have many unsolved murders in my hometown and I remember one story in particular they would publish about a young girl, I memorized her image bc I thought I could solve it!

Also, my grandparents bought meat at the butcher and I think I just conjured a lot from my imagination... or maybe I was onto something ?? The butchers were always in rural areas on the outskirts, in between jurisdictions now that I'm thinking on it. We lived in Ontario, in the same areas where Bruce MacArthur grew up :confused:

The conclusion I'm getting from all our varied experiences is that a lot of really weird things can happen around chest freezers and we're going to have to wait until the medical examiner or LE releases more details...

Sigh. I hate to wait.
To me from the start it reminded me of Agatha Christie or Murder She Wrote. Not to make light, I mean no disrespect!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back