Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video was posted earlier today. Paul's wife speaks in it.
Family anxious about Guelph, Ont. man missing in California | Watch News Videos Online
Family/friends are upset upon learning that apparently the NPS could have asked the nearby military base for help. Paul's friend says "The park not only did not ask, they refused to believe that they should ask."
Searching will resume this weekend.

That video doesn't make me feel any better Jash! But I thank you for posting it.

I didn't know Paul & his wife had been there @ JT hiking already and Paul returned before they were to leave.

What's everyone thinking after WATCHING the video??? I AM curious.

There must be a reason LE didn't call in the military...…..

:thinking:

I watched that video twice with my mouth dropped open.

My hinky meter has gone off, too.

Something does not sound right here....

Good question.
I get it, they're desperate, heartbroken, grieving and probably heard something about it somewhere and are clinging to it. I don't blame them. But it seems irresponsible for Global to just let it stand without being challenged. Maybe it would seem like picking on them to ask more about it? Maybe there's not enough time in the update blurb to explain how it works?

I get it, they're desperate, heartbroken, grieving and probably heard something about it somewhere and are clinging to it. I don't blame them. But it seems irresponsible for Global to just let it stand without being challenged. Maybe it would seem like picking on them to ask more about it? Maybe there's not enough time in the update blurb to explain how it works?

JMO
I get they are upset too but I disagree with them starting to blame the Park searchers and others for not doing more. People were desperately searching for him and some risked their own lives well after they decided to go home after only 5 days. Searchers used helicopters, dogs, and other investments in searching for him.

Its a tragedy but instead of blaming the park authority I think thanking everyone for their efforts would have been better received.

Family anxious about Guelph, Ont. man missing in California | Watch News Videos Online

JMO
I get they are upset too but I disagree with them starting to blame the Park searchers and others for not doing more. People were desperately searching for him and some risked their own lives well after they decided to go home after only 5 days. Searchers used helicopters, dogs, and other investments in searching for him.

This article says three searchers were taken to local hospitals for heat-related illnesses.

What I took from that interview is that the park sheriffs “should have called the FBI but didn’t”. IMO if they didn’t call the FBI there’s probably a damned good reason for it (ie no crime is believed to have occurred).

What was the FBI supposed to do, conduct searches? SAR does that. SAR did that. SAR didn't find anything. They may as well complain that NASA didn't launch a satellite to look for him.

What I took from that interview is that the park sheriffs “should have called the FBI but didn’t”. IMO if they didn’t call the FBI there’s probably a damned good reason for it (ie no crime is believed to have occurred).

There doesn't have to be a crime for the FBI to be consulted. They have many resources available to local law enforcement agencies; the local agency just has to request it.

I'm not sure what they have to offer that would have been helpful in a lost hiker situation, but they didn't need a crime.

JMO

Its a tragedy but instead of blaming the park authority I think thanking everyone for their efforts would have been better received.

Ita. It seems like a well manned search was conducted.

The parking lot is at the end of Canyon Road?

JTNP1.jpg

Two theories:

He went with someone on a 2-+ hour drive to Mexico, or he is somewhere in JTNP.

The parking lot is at the end of Canyon Road?

JTNP1.jpg

Two theories:

He went with someone on a 2-+ hour drive to Mexico, or he is somewhere in JTNP.

Yes, that's it. There is a gate on the road which you can see here, I believe it's supposed to be closed overnight according to articles I read about the hike.

Perhaps the RCMP does conduct major searches for all missing persons in Canada.
RCMP don't get involved if the person's gone missing in a national park. I lived in Banff for many years, plenty of missing hikers but it was always Park Wardens who searched and found them (or sometimes didn't find them). Elsewhere, it depends on the agreement the province or municipality has with the police services. For example in Vancouver, North Shore SAR take responsibility for all searches in the mountains, they have the helicopters, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns