Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I took from that interview is that the park sheriffs “should have called the FBI but didn’t”. IMO if they didn’t call the FBI there’s probably a damned good reason for it (ie no crime is believed to have occurred).

IIRC, in the video LE states they didn't call them in (**this is not a direct quote but...) because there is no evidence Paul has been abducted for example

(around the 1:20 mark in the video IIRC)

In the video: Paul's family seems very passive? Or something? Just seemed off to me? Almost like they want to blame someone for Paul's being missing. It didn't seem like they wanted to be interviewed. They look scared. Is that it?

I guess I'm used to blustery Americans who rattle everyone's chains when it comes to loved ones missing.
Didn't Paul's wife return home rather quickly after Paul's disappearance?

The video has thrown me off. Not sure exactly what to think. I'm in no way victim shaming or blaming. I feel really badly for those who love and miss Paul.

Last edited:
I believe it was just the person posting here.

Unless they're a verified insider and Tricia or the mod team has taken the time to vet them... I mean... I'm not sure how much I believe it, since "he was seen on the trail" would have been in the MSM. Certainly the Canadian press would have talked about it, right?

Okay, this is my first post ever to WebSleuths. I arrived here because I was at the park with my family 2 days after Paul went missing, and we saw the missing posters everywhere, and the case has haunted me ever since. I kept thinking, any day now, they'll find him . . .
An earlier poster did an excellent job of summing up the possibilities, and I feel compelled to add my 2 cents. (His or her topics, my comments)

Death by stranger
Not likely IMO. Certainly possible, but it would most likely need to be a meticulously planned abduction right there in the parking lot, by more than one person, and no signs of a struggle.

Walkaway
I don't think so. To me, not likely he would concoct a plan with an accomplice in a foreign country either on the fly or even less likely, weeks or months in advance. Too many things to unravel (finances, communications, logistics) to pull off successfully under the eyes of LE and his family. Now, if his wife were involved . . . see below.

Missing by accident (fall, health emergency)
Taking the earlier poster at his word who said he was the witness who saw him on the trail, okay, he's on the trail, he's a "man on a mission". But what kind of mission? One to photograph bighorn sheep before his flight? Or to disappear? Certainly, one can get disoriented and lost, but if he just conked out (especially on the way to an oasis where there really isn't much chance of getting lost), I think they would have found him by now. That, coupled with no traces from dogs, and a search that was mounted in record time, just doesn't sit right with me.

Wife killed him
Too Machiavellian. Occam's razor and all that. Much easier to do on home turf, etc. Would require a fairly elaborate plan and most likely accomplices.

Suicide

Who knows? A lot of times, family members never see it coming; didn't seem like there were any overt signs. We have a huge info deficit into his background. IMO, although we don't know much about his background other than it seems pretty stable, the immediate circumstances of his disappearance sadly lead me to believe that this is one of the strongest possibilities -- he went on the trail but purposely disappeared into the wild blue (and hot) yonder.

Insurance fraud
I wouldn't necessarily rule this out, although I think it's less probable than suicide. Certainly he could have schemed this for months with his wife. I hate to be judgmental, but my radar was going off seeing her video. Obviously, I don't know her personally, but there's very few people I wouldn't put a lot of things past. Look at the parents of "Balloon Boy". Anyway, for the same reasons the OP cites, this theory has some legs to it. Hell, he could probably lay low in some non-descript place in CA or AZ for years with minimal amounts of cash (Gone Girl, anyone?) and eventually re-unite (or not) with his wife and split the money. IMO, although still rare and hard to pull off, the second strongest possibility behind suicide.

I was the last person to see Paul alive.

I was interviewed by park personnel on Saturday 14, the day after he went missing. I’d seen one of the posters describing his disappearance and called in from near the park.

I’m posting this because there’s a lot of junk been written here. He died out there. And his friends and family might be reading this.

I did the hike that morning to 49 palms. I started out from the trailhead about 7.30 am and was at the palms at 8.30. I started back at 8.40. The hike both ways is up to a ridge at half way and then down the other side. Going back, I went about 2/3 of the way up to the ridge and then stopped for 2 or 3 minutes in the shade from a large boulder next to the trail. I was there not earlier than 9am and not later than 9.15am.

Paul came round the bend from the ridge and down the trail towards me. I had him in sight for maybe 10 or 20 seconds. As he went past me I said Hi, he said Hi, and he carried straight on.

He looked in OK shape - hot but nothing out of the ordinary. Hat plus backpack. Doing a good pace. I was surprised he didn’t stop maybe for a few seconds to chat - this was the only shade on the trail and a good place for a breather. I described him to the rangers as a “man on a mission” - he looked like he was on a serious hike and going for it. I read later that he was keen to get to the Palms to get pictures of the sheep. Maybe that was it.

The news stories that say “he was last seen at 9am by his wife” are incorrect. Other reporting that says “he was last seen at 9am” is more accurate - that’s about when I saw him. To get where he was on the trail he probably left the trailhead 30 to 40 minutes before then - say 8.30. The drive in from 29 Palms might have been anything from 10 minutes to half an hour depending on where he was staying.

The hike is relatively short - an hour out and an hour back. There’s a climb of about 300 ft to a ridge then a descent of about the same amount to the palms. But the heat makes it a serious hike. When I started at 7.30 it was low 80’s. When I got back at around 9.30, maybe a bit later, it was high 90’s.

There’s no shade on the trail other than the boulder I mentioned, and that’s only early, before the sun gets higher. The terrain is open rock, scrub and a few cacti. The heat bounces back at you. I drank 2 1/2 litres of water on the hike. The park info says take at least a litre for each hour you’re out and that’s about right. The trail is on the northern edge of the park and at a lower altitude than the other hikes in the park. It’s a lot hotter than those trails.

Searching would not have been easy in that heat either, both for people and the dogs. They did what they could and must have pushed themselves very hard. Brave people. Giving their time and all their energy for a stranger they’d never met - a foreigner even. We could do with more of that.

My heart goes out to his friends and family. The event shook me up but that’s nothing compared to what they are going through.

My condolences.

Okay--here's the post from the person who said he saw him on the trail. Not verified--it's the only post this person has made on WS. He said he talked to park personnel the next day

Some random thoughts on desert hiking ...
I love the desert; my wife and kids don't love it so much. They'd rather be by the pool. Actually, so would I, but I do like to get out in the heat once in a while and look around. I've done some of what I'd say are "advanced intermediate" hikes; I certainly don't claim to be an uber experienced hiker though.
Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of observations.
1). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was at JT two days after Paul went missing. I believe it was hotter then than the previous two days. We went from spot to spot, and maybe spent 30 minutes each at 4 popular spots, and although my pool-loving kids whined a bit, they did fine overall. I would never knowingly put them in danger of course. Carry way more water than you think you'll need.
2). I think all of the warning signs are great, but I think they can also lull people into thinking they're just there for liability reasons, and then people tend to ignore them like the boy crying wolf. I call this the "Disneyland Effect"; safety is so dumbed-down in our culture that sometimes it's easy to take real dangers for granted. If you're in a foreign country where you can walk into a hole in the street 2 feet deep if you're not paying attention, then you tend to have a little more respect for places like say, a National Park. OTOH, some people are just plain unreachable. See next paragraph.
3). I went to Death Valley last year in August, and got a nice photo posing by the thermometer saying 120 degrees. I did do a little hiking there with some buddies (wife and kids stayed at home, poolside); nothing extreme, maybe 2 miles at most for a little under 2 hours, at a stretch. One of my friends actually jogged. Uphill. For about 15 minutes. Anyway, outside of my friend jogging (although he's young and in shape) I felt like we were always following good safety and never felt danger in the least. However, at Badwater Basin (lowest place in U.S., and hottest temp ever recorded), many tourists were wandering around in shorts and tank tops! Some were as red as lobsters. Granted, most of these people were probably going from one spot to another in their air-conditioned cars, but still, come on, people! Cover up in extreme heat.
4). On that last note, for the life of me, I don't know why I don't see more people carrying a reflective umbrella in desert environments. I swear, in my subjective opinion, it feels 10 degrees cooler with one. Granted, there's times you can't carry it (going through brush for instance), but the weight penalty is so negligible, I don't know why just about everyone doesn't carry one. No need for that radiant heat beating down on you in addition to all the ambient heat. How many people in the desert have said, I just wish I had some shade (and some water)?
5). Comparing Death Valley to Joshua Tree, in my very limited experience with both parks (I've only been one time to each), I'd have to say Joshua Tree was a much spookier environment to my eye. Obviously, Death Valley has the name and the fame going for it (after all, they didn't call it Pleasant Valley), whereas Joshua Tree merely has Rock and Roll fame. And although both parks are obviously remote and dangerous if you're unprepared or do something stupid, it looks like it would be a lot easier to get lost in Joshua Tree, and the terrain in general looks rougher. In Death Valley, most of the "attractions" (if you can call things like the Devil's Golfcourse attractive) are on the East side of the valley, and the terrain is flat for as far as the eye can see, and the Panamint Mountains stare you in the face at the opposite side of the valley. It would almost be impossible to get lost there on a casual hike in most of the tourist spots. In Joshua Tree, I was constantly doing a double-take on my surroundings, looking for landmarks, the position of the sun, etc., and also looking at my footing; even though I never felt in danger, it definitely seemed like a more challenging environment for the many casual hikers that go there.

Last edited:
Welcome and thanks for your valuable insights, Tim. :)

I think I’m also going to keep the possibility of accidental death on the table. Your mention of how easy it is to get lost makes me wonder if Paul went further and in a different direction than he intended. One would think he would have been found eventually though, so we start thinking of other scenarios. But sometimes people are found in areas previously searched.

I watched the video with the family and I agree with some of you that say something seems off about it. I've had the experience of being interviewed many times by the media and what seems off to me (and to be honest, it really jumps out at me) is the ridiculously heavy editing that has been done. It's clear as a bell family members and friends were cut off as they were making emotional statements and that makes the whole flow of the piece just jumpy and strange. Almost robotic or something.

My 2 cents.

Insurance fraud
I wouldn't necessarily rule this out, although I think it's less probable than suicide. Certainly he could have schemed this for months with his wife. I hate to be judgmental, but my radar was going off seeing her video. Obviously, I don't know her personally, but there's very few people I wouldn't put a lot of things past. Look at the parents of "Balloon Boy". Anyway, for the same reasons the OP cites, this theory has some legs to it. Hell, he could probably lay low in some non-descript place in CA or AZ for years with minimal amounts of cash (Gone Girl, anyone?) and eventually re-unite (or not) with his wife and split the money. IMO, although still rare and hard to pull off, the second strongest possibility behind suicide.

From memory, this is an area we haven't discussed much. It would be interesting to know how much life insurance Paul had.

From memory, this is an area we haven't discussed much. It would be interesting to know how much life insurance Paul had.
I suggest everyone go read the comment section of the JTNP Facebook site (first post about Paul missing). Paul’s sister posted there last week. It clears up the sighting on the trail and an important life insurance question. No Paul, no payout for seven years so insurance fraud doesn’t seem likely.

Joshua Tree National Park

Suglo, can you give us an overview of what she says....

not everyone has FB

:blushing:

TIA
She thanks everyone for their dedication to finding Paul and especially thanks Neil for coming forward with his sighting of Paul that morning. She says Paul is an experienced hiker and also a very friendly, talkative person. She thinks he was in a hurry to get to the oasis which is why he didn’t stop to chat with Neil. She hopes he can be found soon for all their emotional sakes but also for the wife’s and kids’ financial sake as the life insurance will not pay out for seven years if one is missing. No body, no insurance $ until that time period has passed.

She thanks everyone for their dedication to finding Paul and especially thanks Neil for coming forward with his sighting of Paul that morning. She says Paul is an experienced hiker and also a very friendly, talkative person. She thinks he was in a hurry to get to the oasis which is why he didn’t stop to chat with Neil.

I wonder why Paul didn't ask "hey, have you seen any bighorn sheep?"

I don't see the post BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members