Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for any & all,

Does hearing they were suppose to go back to JT together (again) but she changed her mind and let Jeff go alone shed different light on what might have happened here???

Just curious...
For me, it makes me wonder if he didn't consider this his only/last opportunity to go elsewhere, so he took it. I mean, they were planning on flying back that very day.

But still, why no vultures?

Because there was nothing there for them to feed on. I lived in both Palm Springs and in Whitewater and trust me, when there was something dead in the desert (usually a jack rabbit) there were vultures. LOTS of vultures. If PM perished off trail somewhere out there, there would be vultures.

Because there was nothing there for them to feed on. I lived in both Palm Springs and in Whitewater and trust me, when there was something dead in the desert (usually a jack rabbit) there were vultures. LOTS of vultures. If PM perished off trail somewhere out there, there would be vultures.
This was my thinking as well. So how do we explain this?

For me, it makes me wonder if he didn't consider this his only/last opportunity to go elsewhere, so he took it. I mean, they were planning on flying back that very day.
If this is the case, there must be evidence of some sort of preparedness I would think? Tucked money away, etc ? Speaking of money, that is supposedly the number one reason men disappear; money problems.

It sounds as if LE has what they consider a credible sighting at the trail. Although I still am on the fence on this one, the only appropriate course is to continue to search off trail for Paul where he would have wandered off for a good photo.

But if he perished, why no vultures flying around?

Vultures didn't lead them to Ewasko--I know, he's still missing so the claim might be made that he's elsewhere. But vultures didn't lead them to the couple who died last year. So, vultures can't be relied on. Don't know why.

ETA Could the weather be so dry that some corpses mummify, instead of decaying? :( And so, there's no smell to attract vultures?

How to explain:

1) He intentionally departed and is living undercover.

2) He’s a victim of foul play / accidental death and those responsible either transported his body elsewhere (would make more sense if he managed to get to town first) or buried/concealed him away from predators and scavengers.

3) He fell, entered or otherwise wedged himself into a crevasse, crevice or cave area, which affected scent dispersion.

4) He met his demise in an altogether separate part of the park. He followed sheep; he got turned around; he thought the view from atop another peak would be spectacular; he had a health issue which made him dazed and confused. He has not been found because the search has been in the wrong area.

What is at the oasis? I’ve seen the photos of the palm trees, but I’m not clear on whether there’s a spring or a pool or anything of that nature.

At the last press conference many were upset because they felt minuscule information had been released. My thoughts at the time were that the points on the map opened up a lot of possibilities for in depth discussion. Tonight's discussion reasoning through those possibilities has shown great team work and effort. Thanks everyone for being here for Mollie.

snooze-boat-smiley.gif

This was my thinking as well. So how do we explain this?

A question for any & all,

Does hearing they were suppose to go back to JT together (again) but she changed her mind and let Jeff go alone shed different light on what might have happened here???

Just curious...
Makes me think she was the wise one. Perhaps she tried to dissuade him since they were flying home that day right? And perhaps he just didn’t listen.

How to explain:

1) He intentionally departed and is living undercover.

2) He’s a victim of foul play / accidental death and those responsible either transported his body elsewhere (would make more sense if he managed to get to town first) or buried/concealed him away from predators and scavengers.

3) He fell, entered or otherwise wedged himself into a crevasse, crevice or cave area, which affected scent dispersion.

4) He met his demise in an altogether separate part of the park. He followed sheep; he got turned around; he thought the view from atop another peak would be spectacular; he had a health issue which made him dazed and confused. He has not been found because the search has been in the wrong area.

What is at the oasis? I’ve seen the photos of the palm trees, but I’m not clear on whether there’s a spring or a pool or anything of that nature.
Speculations 3 or 4 are my best guess ATM.

Hot enough for you? California's desert parks are busier in 2018

Death Valley park spokeswoman Abby Wines noted that most of the park’s summer visitors “are from other countries, largely Europe and Asia.” For them, Wines said, “the heat is part of the attraction.”

It was what, back in 1996 when that group of four German tourists decided to go hiking in Death Valley in July of that year.

Apparently it is true that unless one is well acclimated to the desert, ie, having lived in one or spent considerable time, then that one knows how to deal with weather and temperature conditions, etc. Visitors from nations where there are no deserts would no doubt find it very appealing to visit one, considering its close proximity to Disneyland, Grand Canyon, plus any other large attractions in between.

OTOH I can understand the appeal of our rather unique chunk of land, which ranges from the arctic (Alaska) to tropical (Hawaii, Guam territory etc), gentle rolling green hills of the east coast (CT, PA etc), the continental divide, the green desert of AZ and the dry Mojave desert, which is mostly in CA/NV. Don't forget the swamp where I live :)

What is odd is if the entire story is true, this is presumably the way he dressed for all the other desert hikes in the heat that the couple had been on. How did he make it this far only to apparently get lost on a trail nobody gets lost on?
If he was dressed like that in the Grand Canyon, I'm surprised a ranger didn't turn him around. Hikers who don't pay attention to conditions and dress appropriately not only put themselves at risk, but also Search and Rescue personnel. Exactly what we have going in JTNP. Extremely selfish, IMO.

Much of this is dependent on how fit he was, how tolerant to heat and whether he wore a sun hat. Based on historical data, it looks like it got to about 100 for the high that day, so it was maybe in the low 90s when he started the hike, which does not look that strenuous based on the elevation gain and distance. One poster on a hiking site said this round trip hike could take 60-90 minutes depending on how long you stopped at the oasis, which seems reasonable to me at a 3 MPH pace for an experienced hiker who is in fair shape.

If he was in good shape and heat tolerant, even in the morning sun this may not have been that bad a hike for him if he stayed on the trail or not encountered other problems. But anticipating problems is what backcountry preparedness is all about; it can all go wrong quickly and then your initial gear choices may determine whether you survive.
You must have misunderstood. My comments were about sunburn, not fitness, heat, or terrain. Just being out there, bare legs, bare arms, with sun above and reflecting from below. Even 30 minutes exposure (even with sunscreen) could be deathly. And he was going to be out there like that for 90 minutes? What did Forrest Gump say? "Stupid is as stupid does"?

I am beginning to think Paul was never on that trail, and never intended to be on that trail but intentionally left the rental car right where it was found. In light of the fact that searchers were out there almost immediately after he was supposed to be there and they found zero evidence of him anywhere... it only makes sense that he was never there.

moo

I have read many books on the missing in America's National Parks. The park Service does not give out information easily on those that have been missing--hard to know how many, but it is believed to be in the thousands. Hard to know if these numbers are true and the time frame in which these missing were lost.

Paul Miller could be one of these people. Conspiracy Theorists Have much to say. Without proof no telling what happened, but they are Never found. Like they vanished off the face of the earth . Decades later no sign of them surface so many people ask just what is going on.

I sincerely hope they do find Paul Miller alive and well ------never the less find him!

Would someone be so kind as to lay out the possibilities of what happened to Paul beyond him going on this hike, getting lost, and dying?

I have just begun reading about this case and would it not seem that if dogs could not pick up his scent on an easy trail. then he never was on THAT trail.
The dogs are make it confusing for me too.

So for me it is also much more complicated than "Paul going on a hike, getting lost ,and dying....I think they would have found SOME evidence of him being there, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member