Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
My speculation only: I have the impression that JTNP wasn't really her cup of tea to begin with. Didn't they arrive the day before he went missing, which was the day they were flying out?

<snipped>

They had a spent a week there, according to this article.

Stephanie Miller last saw her husband of 26 years about 9 a.m. July 13 — the final day of an anniversary trip that started in Las Vegas and brought them to Joshua Tree for a week of hiking.
Wife of missing hiker from Canada describes 'hell' each day brings since Paul Miller disappeared at Joshua Tree

Why isn’t the wife and family members/friends not there searching? Very strange.
They are unlikely to be trained SAR and certainly unfamiliar with the terrain. Actually going out in a search party seems like a very bad idea.

However, SAR undoubtedly has support crews at the trailhead or even based out of someone's garage somewhere. I'm sure an ice-cold lemonade delivery would be welcomed! Maybe they need a telephone-answerer. Maybe they could use help with personal errands so they can be focus on the search. Are their kids getting bored this last week of summer and no parent to whine to, and might be thrilled with a special outing?

There are so many ways to be thoughtful when others are risking their lives to be helpful to you and so you don't risk yours.

Anyone know where they hiked before, and if they were knowledgable in the desert Southwest? And if he ever dressed in more suitable clothing (other than dark colored shorts, shoes and hat, and a tee shirt?)

The Miller's were at the end of a vacation that involved hiking at four large national parks. They had just come from the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah and were finishing up in Joshua Tree when Paul went missing.

Search scaled back for missing Guelph hiker in California

News clip from this afternoon: Find Paul Miller: calls to continue searching for missing Guelph man

Nothing new was reported. They make it sound like officials aren't doing anything, which we know isn't true (6,000 hours and counting).

The earlier video has been replaced with a longer evening news version (same link). They talked to a California man who has been looking for Paul on his own. He noticed there were no missing person flyers at the trailhead. Park officials have since replaced the photo.

Paul's wife did a radio interview yesterday (9+ mins). Guelph Man Missing In California

Some key points:

- They started their trip in Las Vegas. They went to Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and Grand Canyon National Park. Joshua Tree was their last stop before heading back to Vegas and going home.

- They arrived in Joshua Tree on Wednesday (July 11). Due to heavy rains that day, they weren't able to do all the hikes they planned to do. They hiked all day Thursday and planned to do the Forty-nine Palms Oasis hike on Friday morning.

- By the time they had breakfast on Friday, she just didn't feel like going so Paul decided to go on his own to grab some pictures to show her later. So Paul left for the hike and when he wasn't back she got worried and called in the Park to do a search.

- She stayed an extra 5 days after he went missing. They were going to scale back the search and her kids were "freaking out" back home so she went back to be with them.

- She has no idea what happened. Paul is a "very strong hiker". Unless he hit his head or somehow got hurt he would have made it back. She's not disregarding the idea that he made it out of the park (considering the search has been concentrated there with no findings). She said "he knows what he's doing in the wilderness".

- Historically, three people have gone missing in Joshua Tree who have never been found.

- Searchers determined how far Paul could have gotten and have already searched about 80% of that area, including "under every rock and crevice".

- If Paul's still in the desert, the likelihood of him coming home to her in one piece is not very high. The family still has hope that somehow he'll end up somewhere else. Until she's given proof that something else has happened to him she has to believe that he's somewhere out there.

- Paul left his cellphone behind (he never carried it with him) as well as all his ID.

- Paul took what he needed for the hike. He took water, food and he had a knife on him.

- When asked if she's planning on going back to California, she said when she was there over the 5 days of searching, she was advised to stay in the hotel room and wait for news so as to not hinder the search/get in the way. She will go back but not until there's a little bit of a clue. Even being close by, you feel helpless so she might as well wait at home with her family and friends. When they find Paul, she will be going back to California to bring him home.

- She encourages her kids to live with no regrets. Paul would not want them to just sit by and not live life. Yes the family is upset that he's not with them and yes they're heartbroken that they don't know where he is but they do have to continue to live life.

- If the family finds out that Paul hasn't made it, they will deal with that at that time but right now they're living under the hope that he's been on an extended vacation.

Last edited:
Paul's wife did a radio interview yesterday (9+ mins). Guelph Man Missing In California

Some key points:

- They started their trip in Las Vegas. They went to Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and Grand Canyon National Park. Joshua Tree was their last stop before heading back to Vegas and going home.

- They arrived in Joshua Tree on Wednesday (July 11). Due to heavy rains that day, they weren't able to do all the hikes they planned to do. They hiked all day Thursday and planned to do the Forty-nine Palms Oasis hike on Friday morning.

- By the time they had breakfast on Friday, she just didn't feel like going so Paul decided to go on his own to grab some pictures to show her later. So Paul left for the hike and when he wasn't back she got worried and called in the Park to do a search.

- She stayed an extra 5 days after he went missing. They were going to scale back the search and her kids were "freaking out" back home so she went back to be with them.

- She has no idea what happened. Paul is a "very strong hiker". Unless he hit his head or somehow got hurt he would have made it back. She's not disregarding the idea that he made it out of the park (considering the search has been concentrated there with no findings). She said "he knows what he's doing in the wilderness".

- Historically, three people have gone missing in Joshua Tree who have never been found.

- Searchers determined how far Paul could have gotten and have already searched about 80% of that area, including "under every rock and crevice".

- If Paul's still in the desert, the likelihood of him coming home to her in one piece is not very high. The family still has hope that somehow he'll end up somewhere else. Until she's given proof that something else has happened to him she has to believe that he's somewhere out there.

- Paul left his cellphone behind (he never carried it with him) as well as all his ID.

- Paul took what he needed for the hike. He took water, food and he had a knife on him.

- When asked if she's planning on going back to California, she said when she was there over the 5 days of searching, she was advised to stay in the hotel room and wait for news so as to not hinder the search/get in the way. She will go back but not until there's a little bit of a clue. Even being close by, you feel helpless so she might as well wait at home with her family and friends. When they find Paul, she will be going back to California to bring him home.

- She encourages her kids to live with no regrets. Paul would not want them to just sit by and not live life. Yes the family is upset that he's not with them and yes they're heartbroken that they don't know where he is but they do have to continue to live life.

- If the family finds out that Paul hasn't made it, they will deal with that at that time but right now they're living under the hope that he's been on an extended vacation.

Wait just a minute- driving a rental car in a foreign country and did not take ANY ID with him? Just when I thought my hinky-meter could not go any higher.....

Wait just a minute- driving a rental car in a foreign country and did not take ANY ID with him? Just when I thought my hinky-meter could not go any higher.....
From your article..."Paul left his cellphone behind (he never carried it with him) as well as all his ID."

Well at least here at WS that almost always equals self-harm. Maybe Paul had one last hike to look for the sheep and then walked elsewhere to end his life. :(. But where could he have possibility gone?

Also I always think of the info someone posted on here (wish I could search for the link but I'm on the elliptical now) that if someone is about to commit self harm they tend to give off an alternative scent that dogs can't track. If someone could find the link and post I think that might be helpful here. If not I can search for it tonight after work.

I wonder what kind of camera he had. It sounds like he was an avid photographer. If it was an expensive DSLR, they can monitor Craigslist and check other locations in case someone tries to sell it. Lifehacker has a few longshot suggestions for camera recovery here:
https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-get-my-lost-or-stolen-camera-back-511644162

Huge longshot and I don’t think he met with foul play, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I wonder what kind of camera he had. It sounds like he was an avid photographer. If it was an expensive DSLR, they can monitor Craigslist and check other locations in case someone tries to sell it. Lifehacker has a few longshot suggestions for camera recovery here:
https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-get-my-lost-or-stolen-camera-back-511644162

Huge longshot and I don’t think he met with foul play, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Would a DSLR automatically have uploaded photos to the Cloud? That would give a time/date/location stamp if he’d gone within range of any kind of open network?

Anyone know where they hiked before, and if they were knowledgable in the desert Southwest? And if he ever dressed in more suitable clothing (other than dark colored shorts, shoes and hat, and a tee shirt?)

Lets see he disappeared July 13 , a month later despite extensive searches by land and air , Paul is nowhere to be found, furthermore he has left no trace of ever being on that Trail let alone going off trail and getting lost.

I lived in Arizona for 10 years. We lived over a canyon and everywhere you hiked in Arizona looked like the path Paul took. Flat,, no trees, gradual elevation, boulders and nothing but flat empty desert. How difficult could it be for him to be found especially since search teams were on the trail hours after he went missing. Yes there are a lot of boulders but small enough for him to be seen ,if he could even get stuck under one.

Search teams have been at it for over a month... It would now be a recovery.
Hikers one day will find him --maybe on another trail.

WHY would Bill go for a hike when he was boarding a plane that morning...would he even have time to shower.....and since they seemed to be avid hikers (one week in that area for hiking trail) Why would you not take at least water and perhaps a stick because there are Diamondbacks out there.
I often hiked in shorts, desert boots and short sleeve top, but never black and always had a jacket tied around my waist, water and my phone. People do take short hikes with just shorts and Tee but usually tourists.

<snipped>
WHY would Bill go for a hike when he was boarding a plane that morning...would he even have time to shower.....and since they seemed to be avid hikers (one week in that area for hiking trail) Why would you not take at least water and perhaps a stick because there are Diamondbacks out there.
I often hiked in shorts, desert boots and short sleeve top, but never black and always had a jacket tied around my waist, water and my phone. People do take short hikes with just shorts and Tee but usually tourists.

Paul did have water with him. Early on it was reported that he had a Camelbak hydration pack. In the radio interview I posted this morning, his wife stated he took water and food with him, and that he also had a knife.

Time-wise, he was definitely cutting it close. It hasn't been disclosed where exactly they were staying but the closest motels/hotels are a 5 minute drive from the trailhead. We've heard Paul left the hotel around 9 am, and checkout time was 11 am. The hike is supposed to take 2-3 hours roundtrip.

I don't want to misspeak. The exact quote about the ID is below. I suppose it's possible he left it in the car and his wife just meant she had his ID now.

Interviewer: He left that day to go on the hike, and he left his cellphone behind. Was that unusual?
Paul's wife: Oh no, he never carried his cellphone.
Interviewer: Oh OK. So that was very normal so. And he had all of his ID with him and everything?
Paul's Wife: Noo. I have everything. He took what he needed for the hike. He took water, he took food, he had a knife on him, he had what he needed for a hike. That's what he had.

(@5:06) Guelph Man Missing In California

I don't want to misspeak. The exact quote about the ID is below. I suppose it's possible he left it in the car and his wife just meant she had his ID now.

Interviewer: He left that day to go on the hike, and he left his cellphone behind. Was that unusual?
Interviewer: Oh OK. So that was very normal so. And he had all of his ID with him and everything?
Paul's Wife: Noo. I have everything. He took what he needed for the hike. He took water, he took food, he had a knife on him, he had what he needed for a hike. That's what he had.

It's still mind-blowing! Why would he leave his ID in the car or anywhere except on his body? He's traveling, for gosh sake; no way you'd want that stolen from a car. No matter how unlikely you'd need it on a hike, you'd wanna be taking your ID and a credit card. Same with a morning run. In case you have an accident..... This is so essential, that a whole company (RoadID) is built around the necessity for having an ID when you're running/biking/hiking/boating... I happen to have one. It can stay on me 24/7.

He probably didn't want to risk losing his ID just before he left the country, which would be a major headache. Whether he left them with her or in the car depends on how he'd perceive the risk of break-in at the trailhead. I've done the same when hiking or travelling, I don't carry my wallet, I'm paranoid I'll lose it.

It's still mind-blowing! Why would he leave his ID in the car or anywhere except on his body? He's traveling, for gosh sake; no way you'd want that stolen from a car. No matter how unlikely you'd need it on a hike, you'd wanna be taking your ID and a credit card. Same with a morning run. In case you have an accident..... This is so essential, that a whole company (RoadID) is built around the necessity for having an ID when you're running/biking/hiking/boating... I happen to have one. It can stay on me 24/7.
I would think a foreigner in the US, especially right now, would want his ID on him at all times. I don't know what he was thinking, why he would leave it behind. Though we've seen that in some cases involving self harm.

I would think a foreigner in the US, especially right now, would want his ID on him at all times. I don't know what he was thinking, why he would leave it behind. Though we've seen that in some cases involving self harm.

It might be more of a middle age, Canadian thing to go around w/o ID on your person, particularly if you are not driving a vehicle. If I were to hike with a group of people from these parts, chances are that less than 10% would have ID and a cell phone on them.

She replies "No" in response to the question "And he had all of his ID with him and everything?"

Paul did have water with him. Early on it was reported that he had a Camelbak hydration pack. In the radio interview I posted this morning, his wife stated he took water and food with him, and that he also had a knife.

He is very unlikely to have had enough water with him. If he was smart, he'd have had a large bottle of Gatorade in addition to the Camelbak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member