Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-topic but relevant. Did y'all know that you can select a portion of someone's post, and there's a pop-up that asks if you want to reply or do a multiple quote? That way you don't have to quote the entire post when you want to reply to just a piece.

Thank you for your service. Now I need to know the what the 10 essentials consists of.

There are now considered to be more than 10 Essentials (but they're still called "10 Essentials").

Try here for EZ.

Take ME! 6 Daypack Essentials On A Budget | Dusty Car Muddy Boots
Take ME TOO! 6 More Daypack Essentials On A Budget | Dusty Car Muddy Boots

Also see from someone who writes up Search and Rescue reports (this is a fascinating website, IMO):
The traditional alpine mountaineering Ten Essential Systems

The 10 Essentials are sometimes listed on the underside of the lid on backpacks intended for outdoors (i.e. not for books).

I go on the lite side for short busy trails in New England (but to me folks in NE seem to take unacceptable risks), but am persnickety most everywhere else.

For a hike to 40 Palms Oasis the "10 Essentials" would have been de rigueur. That trail has several challenges, you could get into trouble very fast, and I'll bet it's not well trafficked.

This hiker did do something right, however. He told his wife when to expect him back. This is excellent. He may also, in fact, had his 10 essentials.

Here is the advisory from the National Park Service at Grand Canyon National Park, including 10 essentials. The conditions are very similar in Joshua Tree, except maybe more severe (and less traveled) in the latter.

Summer Hiking - Hike Smart - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

National Park Service podcast on 10 essentials with a great article very relevant to Joshua Tree about what to take on a hike.

Hike Smart Podcast 02 - Ten Essentials - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
How deep/far are these? I'd think that SAR would at least check out any sources of water since it's a natural place for a lost hiker to want to get to and stay at.
That Oasis with the palm trees is the destination of the trail the hiker took.

Those pools may not be very deep, hard to tell, but the rocks where the palm trees are make me nervous for a lone hiker.

"...the search efforts have escalated since Friday afternoon, when they started with 30 people. As of Tuesday afternoon, they are 90 searchers, six canine teams, an all-terrain vehicle and a helicopter looking for Miller."

Guelph man missing after weekend hike in sweltering California park | CBC News

According to that article, resources will be scaled back now that they haven't found anything.

My first hunch remains my current hunch: I think he experienced health issues. My initial thought was that he might not be in the best shape to handle what seems like an "easy" walk, but with the heat, the trail is not, in fact, easy.

Circumstantial clues, with lots of assumptions on my part, are:
* His wife didn't go with him - so I'm making the guess they are not a hiking couple. I'm assuming they are not on a hiking vacation but more of a sight-seeing vacation.
* The trail is "short" - he wasn't looking for an all-day hike, but simply a morning hike.
* He gave a specific time, I'm assuming, for his return. When he didn't hit that time, the wife very quickly was concerned enough to report him missing. She knew he needed help soon.
* If he wanted to disappear, I would think he'd give a longer window of time to his wife - he'd tell her he would be gone for several hours rather than a couple.
* If someone wanted him disappeared, I don't think they would report him missing so soon.
* He's not from the area, but from a much cooler climate (Canada). He might have underestimated the effect of the heat and hiking hills in the extremely dry heat. Even if he was used to higher hills, he might not have been experienced hiking hills in extreme heat. It's even too hot for the rescue crew - you know it must be brutal.
* My hunch is that he might not be in the best physical shape (just a hunch - I could be wrong).

I'm thinking something like a heart attack or sunstroke hit him - perhaps he then got disoriented or simply disabled enough that he couldn't stay on the trail.

Still baffling....why the rescuers can't find a trace of him. They know what signs to look for. That is very puzzling.

I hope today is the day he is found.

jmo

My first hunch remains my current hunch: I think he experienced health issues. My initial thought was that he might not be in the best shape to handle what seems like an "easy" walk, but with the heat, the trail is not, in fact, easy.

Circumstantial clues, with lots of assumptions on my part, are:
* His wife didn't go with him - so I'm making the guess they are not a hiking couple. I'm assuming they are not on a hiking vacation but more of a sight-seeing vacation.
* The trail is "short" - he wasn't looking for an all-day hike, but simply a morning hike.
* He gave a specific time, I'm assuming, for his return. When he didn't hit that time, the wife very quickly was concerned enough to report him missing. She knew he needed help soon.
* If he wanted to disappear, I would think he'd give a longer window of time to his wife - he'd tell her he would be gone for several hours rather than a couple.
* If someone wanted him disappeared, I don't think they would report him missing so soon.
* He's not from the area, but from a much cooler climate (Canada). He might have underestimated the effect of the heat and hiking hills in the extremely dry heat. Even if he was used to higher hills, he might not have been experienced hiking hills in extreme heat. It's even too hot for the rescue crew - you know it must be brutal.
* My hunch is that he might not be in the best physical shape (just a hunch - I could be wrong).

I'm thinking something like a heart attack or sunstroke hit him - perhaps he then got disoriented or simply disabled enough that he couldn't stay on the trail.

Still baffling....why the rescuers can't find a trace of him. They know what signs to look for. That is very puzzling.

I hope today is the day he is found.

jmo

You bring up some compelling things that could make this a typical "lost in desert" scenario.

If he did get a heart attack or other health issue like heat stroke then he probably would have looked for some sort of shelter to get out of the sun and that makes it difficult for anyone to find him. If not much shelter then he may have climbed behind a boulder or something.

Im trying to figure out at normal hiking speed would the timeline make sense. Usually trails have length posted at the trailhead so people can guage how long it will take them.

Wondering if he really is in that Park. I mean, six dog units and not a single trace?! I am assuming that also means that the dogs couldn't find his scent...were there witnesses who actually SAW him on that trail?o_O

Wondering if he really is in that Park. I mean, six dog units and not a single trace?! I am assuming that also means that the dogs couldn't find his scent...were there witnesses who actually SAW him on that trail?o_O

I hope investigators are able to find witnesses that at least saw the couple at a motel or something. They should try to find another witness that can confirm the last time they were sighted together.

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been addressed.
It just feels odd that he would decide to hike when the weather was so hot.
Was this a location they visited yearly, or the first time?
Were they hikers? Was he prepared to hike? What did he take with him?

JMO
There doesnt seem to be much information about the couple which makes it difficult.

The timeline is what bothers me the most. Seems like he wanted to take a very short hike for a few hours. Not the kind of place to take a small leisurely hike IMO.

"Paul Miller, 51, was last seen by his wife at around 9 a.m. Friday when he left to hike to 49 Palms Oasis, park spokesman George Land said.

Miller's wife notified park rangers around noon that he was overdue and a search started at 12:30 p.m., Land said"

Search underway for hiker missing in Joshua Tree National Park

What did he take with him?

upload_2018-7-16_17-29-59.jpeg not very much:(

If he did get a heart attack or other health issue like heat stroke then he probably would have looked for some sort of shelter to get out of the sun and that makes it difficult for anyone to find him. If not much shelter then he may have climbed behind a boulder or something.

If he reached the oasis and was in trouble the most sensible thing would be to stay there, where there was shade and water, and wait for rescue which shouldn't have been more than a few hours away if his partner did what she was supposed to do.

As a matter of interest, is it normal practice in the US for hikers to leave a note on the dashboard of their vehicle with details of the time they set off, where they were going and their ETR? This is standard practice in the UK if you're hiking in upland or other possibly hazardous terrain. In national parks here the rangers and other park staff will routinely check on parked vehicles, especially towards the end of the day or in poor weather, to see if any walkers are overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli