Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing of the hike is problematic for most people, who would be anxious about missing their flight (I know I would be), but this situation really reminds me of my brother-in-law and I could see him doing something like that. He's a voracious birdwatcher, and if there were a bird he hadn't seen before and he thought he had a good chance of seeing it the last morning, he would totally go out by himself (against his wife's wishes), promising to be back in time. And he often gets carried away and goes longer than originally intended. Otherwise he's a responsible and reasonable 40 year old man, but his passion for birdwatching can sometimes lead him to make selfish and irresponsible decisions. I have no idea if Paul was that sort of person and spotting and taking photos of wildlife was his passion, but those sorts of people do exist.

Re: caching water. You can cache water in Joshua Tree, but that's generally for long, multi-day through hikes that would require carrying several gallons otherwise. Like if you were doing the California Riding and Hiking trail starting at Covington Flat, you could cache water near the Juniper Flats trailhead to pick up on your way. For a short out-and-back hike like this, you'd have to do the hike to cache the water along the way, so there's just no point.

I could totally see someone, even if they weren't extreme in their obsession, thinking they could squeeze in a 2-3 hour hike in the morning if they didn't need to hit the road until early afternoon. He probably did have time for the hike itself. What he didn't factor in, and what would make most of us not even attempt it, was that his schedule left no room for any glitch or delay or distraction. It will be sad if it turns out that the need to rush was the cause or trigger for whatever went wrong.

Re water, didn't I read above that his company's business was purifying water using uv radiation? Could he have carried some pocket purification device rather than [any/enough] water?

HUGE THANKS for clarifying it was FB --- I found the post you spoke of...and I'm paraphrasing for Paul's sake:

:bumping: my own post....SORRY.

Just to NOTE:

Paul's sister says Paul had 2 hours to play with, due to fly home but went for quick hike for some photos while his wife packed up.....Also, Paul took plenty of snacks & water....

FWIW

Would a deceased body's scent be picked up by cadaver dogs in that climate?
Were there two keys to the rental car? Was the car locked?

There's an assumption he went on his hike the morning he was to leave town, consistent with his wife's account. He could actually have gone the day before (there's no telling when his car got to the parking lot), at dusk when it was cooler, and for some reason she didn't want to say so (maybe they got in an argument?).

A hike the evening before rather than the day of departure may explain why the dogs didn't pick up a scent.

I like laying out an alternate scenario. But it would mean that the witness (Neil) was mistaken/lying, and I think the search was predicated on the timeline that had him starting that morning (but we don't know what verification has been done).

Let's face it. We are missing some big piece of this story. I am stumped. I hope he is ok somewhere. But if he left on his own, he could have done it differently.

I truly hope he’s ok somewhere too, but I totally agree, frisson. The public is missing a big piece of the story.

I don’t know guys. I’m just not seeing a big mystery or missing puzzle pieces. I’m combining the witness statements that ring true, with my search experience. It’s hard to find remains outdoors.

Paul will be found, and with the weather cooling down, soon I hope.
I pray it’s a searcher, and not some family with kids.

I don’t recall hearing if he had a history of any medical conditions, such as hypertension, or was on any medications. Just thinking about it, blood pressure meds can sometimes cause hypotension, weakness, dizziness, dehydration, and heat intolerance, iow, more prone to heat stroke.

I don’t know guys. I’m just not seeing a big mystery or missing puzzle pieces. I’m combining the witness statements that ring true, with my search experience. It’s hard to find remains outdoors.

Paul will be found, and with the weather cooling down, soon I hope.
I pray it’s a searcher, and not some family with kids.

You're probably right. I hope you're right.

May today be the day that they find him!

The 49 Palms Oasis trial, a popular trail at Joshua Tree National Park, will be closed until noon Wednesday as the search continues for a missing Canadian man.

...a helicopter will fly around the trail, taking hundreds of photos of the area.

Joshua Tree National Park trail closed as search continues for missing hiker

Very good to hear!

I don’t recall hearing if he had a history of any medical conditions, such as hypertension, or was on any medications. Just thinking about it, blood pressure meds can sometimes cause hypotension, weakness, dizziness, dehydration, and heat intolerance, iow, more prone to heat stroke.

There was nothing mentioned about a health condition when he went missing. There was discussion here about whether he brought enough water and that he was not dressed in UV protectant clothing.

Very good to hear!

There was nothing mentioned about a health condition when he went missing. There was discussion here about whether he brought enough water and that he was not dressed in UV protectant clothing.

I didn’t think so but thought I could have missed it. TU

I just noticed JTNP has an alert on their website about Paul. It's odd that they don't mention his car was found at the trailhead (not to mention a witness claiming to have seen him on the trail that day).

Missing Hiker
Paul Miller, 51, was last seen on Friday, July 13th as he departed his hotel with the intention of hiking Fortynine Palms Oasis, a popular hiking trail. Anyone having information as to the whereabouts of this individual, please call: (909) 383-5651.
Alerts & Conditions - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I just noticed JTNP has an alert on their website about Paul. It's odd that they don't mention his car was found at the trailhead (not to mention a witness claiming to have seen him on the trail that day).

Missing Hiker
Paul Miller, 51, was last seen on Friday, July 13th as he departed his hotel with the intention of hiking Fortynine Palms Oasis, a popular hiking trail. Anyone having information as to the whereabouts of this individual, please call: (909) 383-5651.
As posted upthread, I sincerely hope there are notices about this prominently posted at the trailheads. I am concerned for families with children especially. Finding remains could be extremely traumatic for a child. I'm glad they have posted this notice on the JTNP website, but it's not enough.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I’m thinking it’s the last time he was definitely se

Missing Hiker
I’m thinking it’s a definite at the hotel. His wife saw him leaving (maybe a hotel employee or video as well - not sure ever hearing about that?) and the witness was not a definite on the fact that it was Paul. Also his car being there is not an actual sighting of him. Although now I remember reading about a mention of witness who saw him at the trailhead. My head continues to spin over this case and it’s mysteries.

It seems there should be a cam or a sign in roster for times and destinations especially if the heat is dangerous and people go missing in JT. Then searchers and dogs have to search which can be dangerous too. Not blaming PM,just saying a sign in may not be a bad idea. Just maybe use initials so folks wouldn't know if a female is alone hiking. Frankly, lone males could be in danger too. OK I am not a hiker.

A cam in the parking lot would not be cost effective, since the proportion of missing hikers to non-missing hikers is minute. A camera might very well get destroyed in the heat as well. Plus, costs of outfitting trailheads would be prohibitive, especially since they would become easy vandalism targets.
Some trailheads have sign ins. The conscientious do sign in, but it's not mandatory everywhere. In wilderness areas, you carry a permit tied to your pack; you get this by filling out a form at the trailhead. It lists the date you plan to leave the area. It can be checked randomly by a ranger in the backcountry. You don't want to be caught without one, and you definitely don't want to be caught in a group larger than 12 (IIRC), since that's prohibited.
If there's an emergency situation (like a pending blizzard), rangers will use these forms to count heads and clear the area (that happened to me on a Labor Day backcountry trip to the Sierras; after 3 blizzards in 3 days, mandatory evacuation. Yep, Labor Day. They repeatedly used a helicopter to count us.).
In other trailheads, there may be a sign-in, but it's easy to forget to sign out and signing in is optional; however, since most hikes in that area would be day hikes, a ranger could have a reasonable expectation of when you'd leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee