Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time wife sounded the alarm to him missing: seems like a very short window, but with them heading home that day it may have been more pressing, and also maybe they were just very timely people that kept up with each other. For whatever reason, it could have been unusual for him to not contact or return based on his/their personality.

Time of day he went hiking: could have just been impulsive and hoping to see the sheep/oasis

There's nothing to say he didn't go the evening before.... Only her word.

Most searchers are retirees , some in their 80’s ? Goodness. I wonder why they don’t get members of the national guard to help in these searches? Being younger and more able bodied surely couldn’t hurt anything.

Ummmmm.....retirees are often the most knowledgeable, since they have spent a lot more time out there because they can. I pretty much got into wilderness hiking before there were guidebooks. The source of all info? Retirees, yep, into their 90's. They knew where the trails were, all word of mouth, and they were familiar with the landscape. Younger folks don't have that knowledge.
SAR folks have a lot of experience and know where to look. Familiarity with the location and how people function in that environment is paramount. They've probably done that trail dozens of times. Don't underestimate.
The National Guard doesn't have this specialized information.

Just a random thought. . . The water feature located at the "Oasis" appears quite small in total area, but I haven't found any reference to its depth. Does anyone know if it is deep, like a well, or if it is fed by an underground spring?
I think he could have gotten turned around there, and less likely to have drowned. But I could see falling off one of those rocks, cracking his head, and falling into a pool, even if shallow.

I think he could have gotten turned around there, and less likely to have drowned. But I could see falling off one of those rocks, cracking his head, and falling into a pool, even if shallow.

If that had happened, searchers would have found him that day. The water tanks in Joshua Tree aren't that deep, not deep enough to hide a body from searchers.

Ummmmm.....retirees are often the most knowledgeable, since they have spent a lot more time out there because they can. I pretty much got into wilderness hiking before there were guidebooks. The source of all info? Retirees, yep, into their 90's. They knew where the trails were, all word of mouth, and they were familiar with the landscape. Younger folks don't have that knowledge.
SAR folks have a lot of experience and know where to look. Familiarity with the location and how people function in that environment is paramount. They've probably done that trail dozens of times. Don't underestimate.
The National Guard doesn't have this specialized information.
Absolutely! I think I posted shortly after clarifying I was only concerned the retirees could have used more assistance.

Awesome video, amazing really...if you have time to view - enjoy!

(I got the goosies! LOL)

Thanks!

For those short on time, the Fortynine Palms Oasis part of the video starts at 20:50.

ETA: The guy in the video said the walk back was a lot harder than he thought it would be due to having to walk uphill and the sun beating down.

Last edited:
As posted upthread, I sincerely hope there are notices about this prominently posted at the trailheads. I am concerned for families with children especially. Finding remains could be extremely traumatic for a child. I'm glad they have posted this notice on the JTNP website, but it's not enough.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Although I agree that this would be traumatic, I think the odds of a child randomly stumbling upon his remains are extremely low. It’s a very big park, and most of the foot traffic covered by the majority of visitors, especially children, would be, by definition, in the well-traversed areas, not some remote gully or crevice where he likely is.

Awesome video, amazing really...if you have time to view - enjoy!

(I got the goosies! LOL)

Thanks!

For those short on time, the Fortynine Palms Oasis part of the video starts at 20:50.

ETA: The guy in the video said the walk back was a lot harder than he thought it would be due to having to walk uphill and the sun beating down.

Thanks for the heads-up, both of you.

Interesting & enlightening to see this footage of the Fortynine Palms Oasis Trail & hear the commentary from this experienced hiker, as he hiked it.

It sounds like the new technology involves taking super high res photos from the air that will then be analyzed for anomalies. So maybe there is still hope something will be found from that as they look over the data that was collected.

I wonder if the Canadian version of the FBI has looked into this guy. The Canadian equivalent of the FBI is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or RCMP.

If they say they don't find anything at all. I'd think it's safe to say he was never there at this point.

I disagree. I think he's there, but I have doubts about how successful an aerial search will be. My feeling is that he probably retreated to shade under a boulder and so will have to be found by a ground searcher.

Although I agree that this would be traumatic, I think the odds of a child randomly stumbling upon his remains are extremely low. It’s a very big park, and most of the foot traffic covered by the majority of visitors, especially children, would be, by definition, in the well-traversed areas, not some remote gully or crevice where he likely is.

Also, at this point, the remains are likely to be in a condition that young child, or even an adult, wouldn't recognize them as remains, unless they can get a good look at the skull. Not saying it wouldn't be traumatic, but I don't think there's much danger.

And truthfully, when you look at the places where unidentified remains have been found, it's as likely to be beside the road or in the brush patch behind a building as it is in a well-traveled park. A lot of them were found by kids playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
friesandchips