Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many times on this thread, since Paul went missing and has not been located, the discussion has turned to either foul play or self disappearance. It seems to me that because nothing has turned up to indicate where he ended up in the park (off trail for sure) that those other two options take on new life.

I don't believe either one, though foul play would be maybe more possible IMO than Paul taking off to start a new life somewhere. He and his wife were on an anniversary trip, his car was found in the parking lot at the trail head, and maybe even if we take into possibility the sighting by Neil (previously posted here), then it comes down to basically Paul was hiking, was in a hurry because he had a plane to catch later, and he was ill prepared for temps and duration especially if he wandered off trail. Again, IMO, he probably did wander off trail and is still somewhere in the park. Hoping family finds some evidence this week while they are there searching.

it comes down to basically Paul was hiking, was in a hurry because he had a plane to catch later, and he was ill prepared for temps and duration especially if he wandered off trail.

The possibility that he was somewhat rushing because he had to be back in time for the flight might have directly contributed to him getting lost or injured. He might have thought he saw a shortcut, only to get lost, or fall and injure himself. He might have not taken enough time and care while navigating a difficult terrain.

The possibility that he was somewhat rushing because he had to be back in time for the flight might have directly contributed to him getting lost or injured. He might have thought he saw a shortcut, only to get lost, or fall and injure himself. He might have not taken enough time and care while navigating a difficult terrain.
Definitely agree with you. He may have underestimated the time needed to do this hike, especially in the heat. My thinking is that he made it to the Oasis and then got turned around trying to head back. The Oasis was probably a cool refreshing place to stop for a few moments, plus he was reportedly searching for big horn sheep to take photographs.

Searchers with dogs started looking shortly after he was reported missing, which was quickly, because his wife was waiting for him to return so they could drive to Vegas to catch their plane home. I believe the searchers (and dogs) could only work for several hours due to even hotter temps in the afternoon. I theorize that they didn't get as far into the park as Paul may have wandered at that time, or to pick up a scent for him. If he was already disoriented and lost, he could have continued to wander away indefinitely. JMO

This certainly rings true

I have no idea why because I barely ever get this feeling...but I think Paul is alive. I thought accident or self harm at first but for the last couple months I'm thinking he's started over somewhere. I know it defies pretty much all logic but I hope I'm right.
That’s how I always felt about Jayme Closs and I commented that here on WS 2 nights before she was found alive. I don’t think it’s bad to think outside the box, but sometimes people seem to get angry about it (not saying here on WS by any means). With cases like these, if they were like most cases, they probably would have been found by now. Like Maura Murray...some people think she is alive. We don’t know. I’m certainly not against that. She was getting into so much trouble and was going through a tough time and it kept piling up. She was already running from that. Then another alcohol crash...Anyway, I agree that he could certainly be alive somewhere. I have heard of numerous cases and just read a news article about people going missing and living new lives in the US.

Paul was from Guelph, Ontario - this is a cold climate for most of the year. Like here in Chicago, they probably only get around 4 months of warm weather. He probably didn't have many lightweight clothes, and he was not an experienced hiker. In addition he was decidedly overweight. He went out on a roasting hot day, and the 49 Palms Oasis trail can be challenging to someone who is out of shape: "Be aware that the oasis may not be the tidy green enclave portrayed in a typical cartoon. It's a helter-skelter jumble of brush and boulders, largely impenetrable, with social trails around the periphery.
The terrain is significantly different than what you'll find at most other JTNP hikes - more hills and sharp dark rocks, rather than flats and rounded granite boulders. The trail is easy to follow and not too rough or steep. It climbs about 400 feet over a ridge from the parking lot, which you need to climb back over the other side on the return" (Review by Cameron M on Trip Advisor). I suspect he stepped off the trail someplace, got lost, and then walked even further away from the trail as he was turned around. He had little water and food with him on a day when the high temperature was 108 degrees. There is no shade there until you get to the oasis. As he became weaker and weaker he probably fell into one of the numerous crevices there... I was a park ranger for about 5 years, and on an average weekend day in the summer here in Chicago (temps around 80) I'd have maybe 5 calls for first aid to people who had heatstroke or sunstroke. Also, when people get lost on the wilderness they're difficult to find; I knew my patrol area like the back of my hand - ever hill, boulder, creek, even groupings of trees and it would often take me quite a while to locate someone who was lost. Many people when they get lost would contact us for help and they were told to stay exactly where they were. When I'd get the description of the area they were in, I'd have a very good idea of where to find them - but hardly anyone ever stays put. They get nervous, then doubt anyone is coming for them, and they set off again, leaving me a much more difficult job. Alive? I doubt it - if you wanted to run and start a new life without being found you'd need to have a lot of resources and people to help you, and even then it would be very very hard. In the 70's and 80's doing that was easy, but now with computers and CCTV and other technology it's a serious challenge. It can be done, but here we'd have to ask why he would run away, and so far there's nothing to indicate he would have any reason to completely upend his life and start over.
This is a great post!

The family keeps sending out messages from Find Paul Miller FB account. It's not getting much action past that. I asked if they checked his devises Pc's phones tablets etc they weren't. Seems like a bad idea to leave any stone unturned.
You mean they never checked the phone records, emails, computer searches / history, etc.? At all?

And now they’re saying they believe he may not be in the park? Hmmm

Posting this article here again for anyone who missed it: Wife of missing Joshua Tree hiker speaks out

Quotes from Paul's wife Stephanie... and photos... Still too tough for her to head out there this weekend... and they think he might not even be there...

I think of Paul whenever I hike. Perfect weekend for it here in Arizona. Maybe slightly cooler than than is average, which always helps.
I can’t find where it says they think he might not be in the park, is this the right article that’s linked here? TIA

It's currently 69F in JTNP; perfect conditions for the search today.
Get "under" those big rock formations and look up! Look double hard where the rocks curve and groove; where things could catch.
Large boulders.

May 11, 2019

Looking for Paul Miller: Searchers retrace missing man's last steps

This weekend his loved ones have travelled to the park in search of answers.

Dawne Robinson, Miller’s sister, spoke to CTV as she retraced his last steps on the hiking trail.

“It’s difficult to be where something horrible happened and trying to make sense of it,” she said. “When you’re here, all different scenarios go through your head as to what happened.”

Miller’s wife and two kids are still waiting for some kind of closure.

We’re never going to stop wanting clues and an answer as to why Paul didn’t return from that hike,” said Robinson. “This experience has been horrible. I never could have imagined how horrible.”

While organized search efforts have ended, volunteers have kept in contact with Miller’s family.

“They send us images of discarded Gatorade bottles or a shirt on the trails, asking ‘Hey, is there any chance this is Paul’s?’”

Robinson and her group plan on searching the park until Tuesday.

May 11, 2019

Looking for Paul Miller: Searchers retrace missing man's last steps

This weekend his loved ones have travelled to the park in search of answers.

Dawne Robinson, Miller’s sister, spoke to CTV as she retraced his last steps on the hiking trail.

“It’s difficult to be where something horrible happened and trying to make sense of it,” she said. “When you’re here, all different scenarios go through your head as to what happened.”

Miller’s wife and two kids are still waiting for some kind of closure.

We’re never going to stop wanting clues and an answer as to why Paul didn’t return from that hike,” said Robinson. “This experience has been horrible. I never could have imagined how horrible.”

While organized search efforts have ended, volunteers have kept in contact with Miller’s family.

“They send us images of discarded Gatorade bottles or a shirt on the trails, asking ‘Hey, is there any chance this is Paul’s?’”

Robinson and her group plan on searching the park until Tuesday.
God Bless them. Surrounding them with angels to guide their search.

You mean they never checked the phone records, emails, computer searches / history, etc.? At all?

And now they’re saying they believe he may not be in the park? Hmmm
Maybe you can give them some advise on the Find Paul Miller FB account. I'm curious what they say to you. They weren't very accepting to anything I said. All done in a very nice manor.

Maybe you can give them some advise on the Find Paul Miller FB account. I'm curious what they say to you. They weren't very accepting to anything I said. All done in a very nice monor.
Don’t take it personally. They have to put up a protective shield, and it may sound terse. Can you imagine the crackpots they hear from? It happens with cases. The screwballs come out of the woodwork, as many or more than the good citizens trying to help.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Don’t take it personally. They have to put up a protective shield, and it may sound terse. Can you imagine the crackpots they hear from? It happens with cases. The screwballs come out of the woodwork, as many or more than the good citizens trying to help.

Amateur opinion and speculation
If it was me I'd listen to anyone advise. I just can't Believe they didn't want to check any of his pc phone tabs etc. Now that is all lost. To much trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay