Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

mlhenn

Reaction score
Search underway for missing man at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park

Philip Kreycik, 37, parked his car near the Moller Ranch staging area about 11 a.m. and told his wife he was going for an hourlong run in the East Bay Regional Park, Pleasanton police said.

Kreycik's wife reported him missing at 2 p.m. Saturday. An avid runner with no known health conditions,

Kreycik is described as White, with a thin build and brown hair and eyes. He is presumed to be wearing running attire.

Kreycik is an avid distance runner with no known health conditions, police said.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

Hey everyone,

At this point, nobody knows what has happened to Philip, whether accident, misadventure, or foul play, etc ... and there is certainly no officially named POI or suspect in Philip's disappearance.

Please read The Rules (linked in my signature). Websleuths is Victim Friendly, and victims include loved ones and friends of a missing person. It's fine to ask questions respectfully or post an opinion, but do so without casting aspersions or making direct or indirect accustions at anyone, let alone at a friend who is trying to help find one of his running buddies.

Post respectfully and responsibly, in accordance with Websleuths rules, or your post will be removed and there may be a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

The thread will reopen once we've had a chance to clean it up.

Thread is open again after a massive cleanup of TOS violations (off topic, rumors, social media, not victim friendly, accusations/insinuations, etc).

All members, new and long term, are required to familiarize themselves with Websleuths TOS (aka The Rules, linked in my signature). In addition to those 'rules', any post that is determined by a Mod or Admin to be inappropriate or not in keeping with WS policies will be removed at our discretion.

As this thread has been somewhat labor intensive, we thank our veteran members who Report on suspected or obvious TOS violations for our review. The sooner we can get to them and review them and deal with them, the fewer long thread closures members will experience.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation in helping this discussion run smoothly and for being here to help find out what has happened to Philip.

Sillybilly
WS Administrator

MOD REMINDER

We welcome new members to join in the discussions here. If you have some inside or expert information you would like to share, we ask that you apply to become a VERIFIED INSIDER. Websleuths is a fact-based true crime forum, and has set intentionally high standards for what can be posted here. Only members who have been verified to have inside or expert knowledge of specific cases may post that info and offer answers to questions that would require that knowledge. Unless/until VERIFIED INSIDER status is approved, posts may be removed in absence of it. Once VI status is approved, those post may be reinstated.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly at Websleuths according to the Terms of Service we all agreed to when we joined.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

ADMIN NOTE:

WS member, runspired, has now been Verified as a case insider in Philip's case. We'll let them explain their relationship to Philip and this case.

As a VI, runspired is not required to provide links to support their knowledge of the case. Please treat our VI with respect at all times, i.e. no personalizing, bickering or challenging them on whatever input they provide. It is fine to ask questions, but they do not have to respond. If that's the case, just move on without badgering them for info.

As promised, runspired's initial post has been reinstated along with responses that were removed.

Welcome and Thank You to runspired and all others for caring and being here to discuss Philip's mysterious disappearance.

MOD NOTE

Hey folks,
While we are all anxious and eager for Philip to be found, discussing rumors is not helpful, and is in fact against the WS rules. If someone, especially a new member, posts inside information as fact without an MSM link to substantiate the info, it is a RUMOR, a violation of TOS, and we ask that you NOT respond to it. Please REPORT it instead so that mods can review it, remove it if necessary, and perhaps invite the poster to become a Verified Insider. Replying to the rumor post creates a line of discussion that will need to also be removed. Remember that Websleuths is fact -based. Unsubstantiated rumor derails a thread and causes all sorts of problems if it ‘grows’ in the thread. The REPORT button is your friend, then scroll and roll. Please try not to perpetuate a rumor.

THANK YOU for helping us keep Websleuths the gold standard in true crime discussion.

coco

Police have now searched '100%' of places missing runner could be

Aug 2
They pulled GPS data from all the various search teams, both volunteer and official, to make sure every location was doubled checked. This included an area around Tejan Creek, due to a new theory.

Local runners told authorities it's not uncommon for people abandoning their hike, possibly due to intense heat, to take a shortcut through the heavy bush and steep paths there to return to their cars.

“This is another theory that maybe he went in a different direction,” Niederhaus said. “It’s not out of the realm of possibility.”

This search too, though, yielded nothing.

This statement stands out to me for whatever reason..

"We pretty much 100% covered where he could've been, should've been or would likely show up," Pleasanton Police Lt. Chris Niederhaus told press

Not arguing, genuinely asking, if either 1 or 2 is true, where is he? Why hasn't he been found? Do you suppose he hid himself on private property?

#1 - Its a heavily wooded area so possible he (his body) still there in a hard to find spot.
#2 - I'm not sure private properties have been fully searched. Could be ended up in the wilderness in one of those properties, or foul play / accidental shooting from someone on that road or properties.

Whoever drove Kreycik's car (Kreycik or someone else) could have left the neighborhood without being seen by the neighbors.

The reasons are:

There is only one house between the staging area and Foothill Rd and it faces Legendary Court, not Moller Ranch Dr. Only the side fence faces Moller Ranch Dr. and there is a lot of foliage.

The staging area is not in the neighborhood among the houses, but below the neighborhood.

It was a very hot day and assuming most of the people had their ACs on full blast and were sitting in their family rooms of this development, most which are oriented toward the back yard, and not the front of the house, I doubt and individual would have been seen people walking around because it was so hot. Neighbors would not have been outside strolling around in the late morning to late afternoon, but they would have been in their houses. They could have driven down the street though.

Anyone can cut through to the Preserve neighborhood via a trail and there are no houses between the Laurel Ranch staging area and Foothill Rd either.
This is true.

I think its important to remember that shoe prints matching PKs shoes were located on the uphill portion of the Mariposa trail and photographed early in the search (blue star on the map). According to Chris (PKs good friend), there's a high likelihood that those prints were PKs.

This would suggest that PK ran the Strava route but took a shortcut via the Mariposa Trail, possibly because he was running slower in the heat. He was also close to the peak of the run at that point, and most of the route from that point forward would have been downhill.

I speculate he tried another shortcut that cuts through one of the canyons as he may have been familiar with the trails that this canyon joins with from previous runs in the area. At this stage he
  1. Either injured himself or heat got to him in a very hard to find spot given how much this area has been combed.
  2. Ran into Tehan Canyon Road and either ran into someone on the road or ended up on private property / homes. There are several large homes/properties on this street whose properties run right into some of the trails that would have led PK back to his car. I would love to know if these homes/property owners have allowed LE to search.

See map. Red is the "shortcut" run through Mariposa and the blue arrow is what I speculate.

kr44MwA.jpg
Now hang on a second, has anyone (LE) confirmed the prints match Phil's shoes? They haven't, to my knowledge. We also haven't seen the clip in the UPS store of Philip, and haven't heard the 911 call.

Red is the "shortcut" run through Mariposa and the blue arrow is what I speculate.

I completely disagree with those theorizing that he decided to go cross-country to save time. I was there on Sunday; it is extremely steep in sections with poor footing and lots of poison oak. It is very hard to imagine someone venturing through that simply to save time in getting back to their car.

So let’s all agree on what are ACTUAL facts that have been released so we have the same starting point. Please correct and/or add to this list, but only truly provable things:

1. Someone that the police think is him mailed a package in Oakland.
2. A text was sent from his phone to his wife stating an ETA of 12:45 of arriving in Stockton.
3. Philip’s car was found at the Moller Ranch Staging Area with his shirt and cellphone inside.

That’s it, right? Other than conjecture on the part of friends, family, and police? A lot has been said, but little of it confirmed by LE.

I completely disagree with those theorizing that he decided to go cross-country to save time. I was there on Sunday; it is extremely steep in sections with poor footing and lots of poison oak. It is very hard to imagine someone venturing through that simply to save time in getting back to their car.

Same. It would take much longer, not shorter. Unless of course he didn't expect that, that might be exactly why he ran into a problem.

If I'm recalling correctly, he was purported to have run from the Moller Ranch staging area, passing the water tower/Moller Ranch bench, onward to some uncharted trails, with the hopes of eventually ending up in Pleasanton Ridge RP.

From the park maps, we all found out this route is not possible. As someone so 'analytical' and 'intelligent' as purported by those close to him, why on Earth didn't he, at the very least, check Google maps to see that these trails DO NOT link up, at any point!?! What made him think he could park where he did and end up where he told others,unless he never really intended on being there in the first place? (classic misdirection!)

You know what trails DO link up? The one from the Moller Ranch staging area to the Preserve Staging area, with only a 0.4 mile distance. (The Preserve area also has a small loop trail, which would be way more manageable in the short amount of time he had to complete his run.) Did he change his initial course and end up going North to the Preserve instead of South to Pleasanton Ridge?

If he did, did he use this short trail run to escape? He could have parked his car at Moller Ranch, made a quick run over to the Preserve trailhead parking lot, hopped in a different car, or a bike (he had more than enough time to stop here first and leave a bicycle at the staging area on his hour drive from Berkeley to Pleasanton, which only takes about 30 minutes).

I've driven Laurel Creek Dr., the road where the Preserve staging area is, plenty of times as a shortcut from Stoneridge Dr. to Dublin Canyon Rd. to Palomares Rd. in Castro Valley. Coming from Stoneridge Dr., you will reach the Preserve staging area before you drive through the actual neighborhood. There are no houses leading up to the staging area parking lot when traveling from Stoneridge/Foothill.

I'd wager you could enter this area completely undetected, park, hike, leave your car or bicycle for several hours at the trailhead and no one would bat an eyelash, especially when it's so hot, there are few other hikers/witnesses. Additionally, Laurel Creek Dr., the road the Preserve trailhead is on, connects to Dublin Canyon Rd, which is a very popular and beautiful rural biking route that takes you through rolling hills, farmland and vineyards.

I believe that whatever he did, it wasn't seen as unusual, and didn't stick out in any other trail user's mind, if anyone saw him at all.

All of this to ask -Did he have a bike with him when he dropped off the package in Oakland? Are there cameras entering The Preserve, or at the intersection of Foothill/Laurel Creek Dr. that may have spotted him coming in/out of the area? Is anyone looking into his call records and cell phone/car GPS to figure out where he was during a brief window of unaccounted for time? All MOO.

these trails do link up. Google Maps is about the worst possible off-road mapping service there is, no one uses that for planning.

So let’s all agree on what are ACTUAL facts that have been released so we have the same starting point. Please correct and/or add to this list, but only truly provable things:

1. Someone that the police think is him mailed a package in Oakland.
2. A text was sent from his phone to his wife stating an ETA of 12:45 of arriving in Stockton.
3. Philip’s car was found at the Moller Ranch Staging Area with his shirt and cellphone inside.

That’s it, right? Other than conjecture on the part of friends, family, and police? A lot has been said, but little of it confirmed by LE.
The text was from the CT document and said 12:35ish rather than 12:45. We assume it meant arriving in Stockton which is a reasonable assumption but the text question was "When are you leaving" right before that at 9:18 AM in the document followed by a considerable gap which could mean deleted texts or could mean he did not respond for 1 hr and 28 min or could mean something else all together like he did not hear the text right before it?).

Given the question right before it was "When are you leaving" it could mean ETA 12:35ish could mean something else, but it isn't clear.

Some news reports say near the the Moller Ranch staging area; some say at the Moller Ranch staging area. One said (SF Chron) in a cul de sac near the staging area. I'm thinking it is in the parking lot there, but there has been a lot of confusion.

Last edited:
I looked at Philip's recent Strava activities. Some were recorded with the Suunto Ambit watch but many were recorded directly by an Android Strava app. So this suggests he had an Android phone, and more importantly, he actually did take a phone with him on quite a lot of his activities.
Some of PK's Strava activities are for hiking and pushing his children in a stroller which is when it would make sense for him to carry his phone. For his trail running in the Berkeley and Oakland hills when he is running for time it wouldn't make sense for him to carry his phone. Strava also shows he was running in Saucony 2021 Everun shoes - not old running shoes. For his age of 37 and estimated 10K time of 35m he is considered an elite runner. The run he planned on a normal day would not have been difficult for him to finish in 45m.

It just bothered me because I live in the same area in terms of climate and knew it could not have been the reported 106/107 temp at 11 AM.

Please take my question off the list if you still have time to edit.

The actual temperature is a subject of much debate, but it matters less than folks think. At the lower bound it was hot enough to get him in trouble in under 30min of running.

this said I’ll lay out why I think it was hotter than the reading

Another commenter correctly noted that temps are often taken as shade readings 8’ or more above ground level. This means actual temps felt by a human will be higher usually, especially in exposed areas such as Philip’s route.

additionally the Pleasanton readings are for Pleasanton, not the ridge. The ridge and the small valley inside it are typically hotter, sometimes significantly so and reports from others up there during that timeframe (11am-1pm) that day all describe it as being hotter than the base.

personally I’ve noticed that temperature readings generally in the Bay Area lag actual temps by a few hours. Probably due to their being shade readings. When heading out for a run around 10am it’s almost always whatever temp the forecast says it would be around noon.

I took a run up there with heat gear and water last week on a shadier climb up (courdet) to check out a couple of spots we wanted to think about. It was 101f at the base. I felt fine with the temps until about 75% of the way up, then once I hit the exposed top it shifted into a serious battle to stay cool.

the lower bound of good temp readings for the time of Philips run starting is low 90s, it’s highly likely it was already at least mid to upper 90s. Philip could have experienced heat exhaustion in temps in the low 80s so this was already a danger zone.

regardless of base temp, by the time he was running through the hotter and exposed ridge portion at 11-11:30am he’s running in temps that were likely around 98-102f, and in the hours after that he would have faced temps of 110+ if he were still in exposed areas and 100+ in shaded areas.

It doesn’t matter if Philip got lost or hurt before or after the heat took it’s toll, the fact is the 48 hours after he went missing that park was baking and whether it was very soon into the activity or longer until the activity regardless eventually the heat would be a compounding problem.

personally, and I do heat train, I’ve had times I’ve cooked myself into trouble in only 20min when the temps were 80-85 and only 10ish above my usual climate by pushing a hill at the start of a run.

lastly, if Phil was shirtless, which we still have strong suspicion he was, then the sun and heat would have cooked him even faster. You lose the evaporative cooling advantage of sweat laden clothing, lose the ability to wet the shirt at a water source, and lose the protective barrier that reflects so much of the sun’s rays when in an exposed area.

Shirtless is possibly one of the components of why we haven’t been able to find him: since it diminishes greatly the ability of someone with heat illness to recover when reaching a water source and gives us far less material to search for once wildlife is involved.

My
The text was from the CT document and said 12:35ish rather than 12:45. We assume it meant arriving in Stockton which is a reasonable assumption but the text question was "When are you leaving" right before that at 9:18 AM in the document followed by a considerable gap which could mean deleted texts or could mean he did not respond for 1 hr and 28 min or could mean something else all together like he did not hear the text right before it?).

Given the question right before it was "When are you leaving" it could mean ETA 12:35ish could mean something else, but it isn't clear.

Some news reports say near the the Moller Ranch staging area; some say at the Moller Ranch staging area. One said (SF Chron) in a cul de sac near the staging area. I'm thinking it is in the parking lot there, but there has been a lot of confusion.

my AMA actually answered this but I’ll say it again, at 9:18 he was still at home and he called his wife after that text before heading out (9:22 iirc, possibly 9:26). The UPS footage and plate readings paint a clear direct line at that point from home to trailhead. There isn’t the gap folks seem to think. Maybe another 10min at home or so but not much.

Some of PK's Strava activities are for hiking and pushing his children in a stroller which is when it would make sense for him to carry his phone. For his trail running in the Berkeley and Oakland hills when he is running for time it wouldn't make sense for him to carry his phone. Strava also shows he was running in Saucony 2021 Everun shoes - not old running shoes. For his age of 37 and estimated 10K time of 35m he is considered an elite runner. The run he planned on a normal day would not have been difficult for him to finish in 45m.

he would take his phone with him when needed (and yes he’d sometimes record with it). But his preference was to go minimalist. Humans aren’t robots, we don’t always do the same thing and we are allowed to deviate from the norm. I saw him run with and without his phone many times each, we can’t read anything into it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back