Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The thing is a Philip didn’t die from exercise induced heat-stroke, he died from classical. This is actually clear in the data and I’ll get into it once the report it finalized by PPD.

That said, he did enter late-stage-2 early stage-3 of exercise induced heat-stroke early on, but he survived this and recovered.

The thing is a Philip didn’t die from exercise induced heat-stroke, he died from classical. This is actually clear in the data and I’ll get into it once the report it finalized by PPD.

That said, he did enter late-stage-2 early stage-3 of exercise induced heat-stroke early on, but he survived this and recovered.

incidentally this is why this case will end up having lessons for all of us: the initial incident was very quick, but survivable had his safety net been different or decision making been other than what it was.

Thank you @runspired for your responses on this. I realize this must be painful to analyze your friend Philip's last run in this manner, but hopefully there will be learnings here that can help everyone who exercises outdoors in the heat. I look forward to hearing more when the time comes.

This is a bit offtopic to Phil's passing, but I was reading an article from Outside of a fictionalized account of passing away from heat illness*, and realized I never knew this about the heat index:

The National Weather Service now issues warnings when excessive temperatures are expected and gives predictions of the heat index, which takes into account both temperature and humidity as experienced by a five-foot-seven, 147-pound person walking at a speed of about three miles per hour in a six-mile-per-hour breeze.

I'm personally both taller and heavier, so found it interesting and wanted to note since I suspect many people following are. I didn't know it took a sample person into account? Interesting.... Linking in case others may wish to read. Edited: The title seems a bit blunt, I mean no disrespect. I am sharing for the information within.

*What It Feels Like to Die from Heatstroke

incidentally this is why this case will end up having lessons for all of us: the initial incident was very quick, but survivable had his safety net been different or decision making been other than what it was.
Do you think he was trying to follow the red flags knowing it was a future trial that led somewhere?

I don't understand how it wasn't exercise induced heat stroke? If he was just walking, at 97 degrees at the time, I doubt a marathon runner would get heat stroke. I would think his running increased his core temperature, he got confused, went too far, and because of the temperatures his body could not cool down. He went unconscious and died as temperature rose. I just don't understand how his exertion did NOT play into the heat stroke?

This is a bit offtopic to Phil's passing, but I was reading an article from Outside of a fictionalized account of passing away from heat illness*, and realized I never knew this about the heat index:

The National Weather Service now issues warnings when excessive temperatures are expected and gives predictions of the heat index, which takes into account both temperature and humidity as experienced by a five-foot-seven, 147-pound person walking at a speed of about three miles per hour in a six-mile-per-hour breeze.

I'm personally both taller and heavier, so found it interesting and wanted to note since I suspect many people following are. I didn't know it took a sample person into account? Interesting.... Linking in case others may wish to read. Edited: The title seems a bit blunt, I mean no disrespect. I am sharing for the information within.

*What It Feels Like to Die from Heatstroke

As a 5'7" person who weighs 147 lbs. I find that very interesting! Thanks.

I am anxiously waiting for the update from runspired regarding the findings of his fitness watch…not trying to be nosy but I read that outsider article linked up thread and am really intrigued by what it may have recorded as far as his HR, movements, etc. Especially the part that runspired describes as being late/early next stage of heat stroke and surviving it. Thanks runspired for keeping us informed.

I am anxiously waiting for the update from runspired regarding the findings of his fitness watch…not trying to be nosy but I read that outsider article linked up thread and am really intrigued by what it may have recorded as far as his HR, movements, etc. Especially the part that runspired describes as being late/early next stage of heat stroke and surviving it. Thanks runspired for keeping us informed.
I’m curious as well. The Suunto is a top of the line watch. I have a Coros and it records quite a bit-steps, cadence, HR, etc. I’m also curious since @runinspired is out in that area where Philip was found mapping trails now if there are plans to have a memorial bench or something for him. I lived in an area where a community member died of a heart attack on a trail and a bench was placed in their honor.

GPS data is revealing new details about runner Philip Kreycik's death

For more than 30 minutes on July 10, runner Philip Kreycik tore through Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park at a pace only achieved by seasoned athletes, at times dipping well below a 6-minute mile on a day that would hit 106 degrees.

But the Berkeley man began to slow considerably by the time he hit 8 kilometers, or about 5 miles, according to GPS data from Kreycik’s smartwatch. And what had been an intuitive path through well-worn trails had become erratic, with Kreycik zig-zagging in tight clusters around a remote game area before coming to a full stop.

it’s accurate-ish. High level close enough. I’ll dove in deep. The report is out now, I’ll be writing something up.
I read the Chronicle article and they said at one point he came within several hundred yards of the residences off of Dublin Canyon Road. How incredibly sad that he was so close to the residences. When you write your report, I was wondering whether you have some thoughts concerning whether he was stopped by the fences/gates (the circles with the yellow and black) on the 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd property near the EBRPD Security Residence? The map I'm referring to is this one expanded to 175% https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796

When the reporter referred to zig zagging I'm not sure whether they talked about turning down a trail and then stopping and going back or actually leaving a trail and going through the grass/woods back and forth. I look forward to your analysis of what happened including your take on the red flags.

I read the Chronicle article and they said at one point he came within several hundred yards of the residences off of Dublin Canyon Road. How incredibly sad that he was so close to the residences. When you write your report, I was wondering whether you have some thoughts concerning whether he was stopped by the fences/gates (the circles with the yellow and black) on the 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd property near the EBRPD Security Residence? The map I'm referring to is this one expanded to 175% https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796

When the reporter referred to zig zagging I'm not sure whether they talked about turning down a trail and then stopping and going back or actually leaving a trail and going through the grass/woods back and forth. I look forward to your analysis of what happened including your take on the red flags.

it wasn’t gates but the terrain that stopped him. The flags may have lured him to a false sense of security of being findable when near them, but otherwise weren’t a cause.

it’s being written. The creation of maps and photographs as visual aides is the main hold up, though I also want to be sure to approach it sensitively.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back