Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
These are all good questions and they are questions I can answer, and will with time. A few I’ll likely answer here oob, since in the end they weren’t pertinent but for a while we thought they may be. For instance, there was no other runner on the ridge: a game of telephone turned what could have been a quickly dismissed potential sighting into a thread that lasted forever, it turned out the runner sighting was the same as a different non-sighting we knew well and knew was not him.

he was in one piece, which just means he hadn’t been scavenged. This is fortunate though also a bit lucky. It was a relief though also a surprise.

as far as my Twitter goes, I triggered an automated ban last March for a non-TOS violating usage of a phrase that in some contexts would be a violation. The appeal process is a dead end.

Of course, a wholly different topic, but I thought some following this topic might be interested in this recent tragedy in Northern CA, in particular due to the high daytime temperatures involved. It is very difficult to understand how 3 family members and their dog could have all perished this way, but, nevertheless, interesting in the wider context of PK, imo.

"Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese told media Thursday that the deaths of Jonathan Gerrish, 45, Ellen Chung, 30, and their one-year-old daughter Miju were caused by hyperthermia and "probable" dehydration."

Cause of death revealed for California family found dead on hike near Yosemite :

Cause of death revealed for Calif. family found dead on hike

1. I'm astonished by how quickly heat can kill. I read a story about Michael Popov, an ultra distance runner, who was heat acclimated. In 2012 he went on a 6 - 10 mi run in the summer in Nevada, with his cell phone and water. He completed his run but collapsed by the side of the road at the end. People stopped to help him, EMTs were called but he died. An autopsy found he died of the results of a heat stroke.
I mean no disrespect to you, because I’ve also seen many reports that Michael Popov was “heat-acclimated.” As a native of Northern California and currently a long-term resident of southern Nevada, I would strongly disagree. He was incredibly fit, but living in Northern California (east bay) does not make you appropriately heat-acclimated to run 10K in exposed desert with no shelter at 123 degrees F. And especially with only 2L of water. Many of my friends and I run summer afternoons in Vegas, but we run every week, year-round. The gradual increase in temperature from February through summer makes us much more acclimated. We also run (usually) shorter distances, with intermittent exposure, often through water parks to wet our clothes midway, in less heat (Vegas hit “only” 117 this year) and with a solid 24-hour hydration plan (drinking fairly large amounts of water every waking hour).
Again, I support your points, and I think being very clear about why these heat stroke experiences are so dangerous helps us understand and hopefully prevent further tragedy. It is incredibly difficult, but not impossible, to be heat-acclimated. Some runs would be deadly for any human, but especially if over-estimating how ready they are for dangerous conditions. Imo
Michael Popov’s Last Run: Coming to Grips With the Sudden Death of an Exceptional Ultrarunner

Again, nothing to do with Philip directly, but these additional final details on the demise of the Gerrish / Chung Family may be of interest to anyone interested in Philip's story. So hard to grasp their struggles with heat seemed to have been before 1pm in the afternoon (and took both 2 adults, an infant and their pet dog).
Encourage viewing the map / timeline on the Mariposa County Sheriff site.

An unsent text message and desperate phone calls detail California family's last moments before they died while hiking

An unsent text message and desperate phone calls detail California family's last moments before they died while hiking | CNN

Yosemite Hikes: Hite Cove

Again, nothing to do with Philip directly, but these additional final details on the demise of the Gerrish / Chung Family may be of interest to anyone interested in Philip's story. So hard to grasp their struggles with heat seemed to have been before 1pm in the afternoon (and took both 2 adults, an infant and their pet dog).

An unsent text message and desperate phone calls detail California family's last moments before they died while hiking

An unsent text message and desperate phone calls detail California family's last moments before they died while hiking | CNN

OT.
The “Hites Cove” trail popular for wildflowers in spring that you link is not the trail that the Gerrish family hiked, the hike they took is much more difficult with very steep south facing elevation (full sun) with zero access to shade due to wildfire that burned away all the trees, they discuss this throughout the (closed to comments) Gerrish family thread, starting on thread #1.
CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

“That remote trailhead down a dirt road is accessed from the side closest to Highway 49. It’s different from another popular trailhead to the Hites Cove area along Highway 140 in the river canyon closer to Yosemite.”
Read more at: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253577919.html#storylink=cpy

I thought about Phillip when I saw that report. Hopefully people learn from this tragedy, I sure did.

Like what? Phillip tragically died of heatstroke.
I think the unanswered questions are more about how it happened. By all accounts, Phillip was a very smart guy and had experience running under similar conditions. He was supposed to meet up with his family soon and appears he planned for a quick and short run. Did he underestimate how hot it was that day? Was he not hydrated enough? How did he arrive at the location where he was ultimately found and why was he there? Did he attempt a shortcut thru private property because he knew he was approaching trouble but ultimately had to find shade and rest? If he knew he was in trouble, why wouldn’t he drop a pin of his location on his watch or use some other type of SOS? The verified insider implied that he knew the answers to these questions and would be back to share what he could after he’d had time to process the information and grieve the death of his friend. Knowledge is power.

Kreycik death cited in article about East Bay park closures during Labor Day heat wave:

Bay Area parks, open spaces to close during heat wave.

Outside magazine article has more info/conjecture about Philip's final hours:

Philip Kreycik Wasn’t Supposed to Die This Way
Thank you for sharing this article, I missed it.
Has anyone seen or created a visual map of the actual route he took, as described in the article?
Not the intended route, but the actual route.
Thank you.

Has anyone seen or created a visual map of the actual route he took, as described in the article?
Thank you.
You are very welcome. I was surprised to find the Outside article by chance while going back to look for the link to the SFGate story. I would love to see that map too.

Like what? Phillip tragically died of heatstroke.
There were some people around who had made comments about having more details to share in due time. Best I can tell those details were never shared. I happen to think there may be lessons to learn from them, so I am still interested to know.

What lessons? 1) Many people would not consider what he did (or at least what we know) to be very dangerous, certainly not dangerous enough to risk death. More info may be helpful. 2) He was found basically where they searched for him over several days. I think it would interesting if not helpful to know how he wasn't found sooner.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I never saw a map. runspired alleged above that he had seen it and suggested that he may post it but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Here is the link to that post.

There is a description of the track in the SF Chronicle from back then. GPS data is revealing new details about runner Philip Kreycik’s death

There were some people around who had made comments about having more details to share in due time. Best I can tell those details were never shared. I happen to think there may be lessons to learn here and I'd like to know what they are.

What lessons? 1) Many people would not consider what he did (or at least what we know) to be very dangerous, certainly not dangerous enough to risk death. More info may be helpful. 2) He was found basically where they searched for him over several days. I think it would interesting if not helpful to know how he wasn't found sooner.
Have you read the outside article linked a few posts above? Philip Kreycik Wasn’t Supposed to Die This Way

It has a lot of info. As to why he wasn’t found sooner, according to the article, his path was not what was expected. He was prone under an oak with low branches. Until one of his runner friends who was searching, smelled decomposition and followed it to the source, PK was pretty well hidden.

I agree, the Outside article really covers most of the details well, and I think it probably offers about as much as the verified insider had earlier promised to share here at WS when he was ready. You can find the various existing trails and likely routes that Philip used on Strava maps and other apps if you spend some time with them. Specifics about the trails can be found earlier in this thread.

I don't think anyone would advocate releasing Philip's actual last GPS watch data, that is referred to and described in the article, out of respect for his family and friends.
There were some people around who had made comments about having more details to share in due time. Best I can tell those details were never shared. I happen to think there may be lessons to learn from them, so I am still interested to know.

Thank you.

I agree, the Outside article really covers most of the details well, and I think it probably offers about as much as the verified insider had earlier promised to share here at WS when he was ready. You can find the various existing trails and likely routes that Philip used on Strava maps and other apps if you spend some time with them. Specifics about the trails can be found earlier in this thread.

I don't think anyone would advocate releasing Philip's actual last GPS watch data, that is referred to and described in the article, out of respect for his family and friends.
I’m all for respecting the family and I was not suggesting additional device data be released - just a visual map of the data already released publicly in the article.

Just like the Mariposa sheriff’s office did multiple times in the Gerrish Chung case - a visual of the actual route to accompany a description, without releasing detailed private device data.

Visuals of text descriptions from the Outside article would be illustrative and clearer; three examples below:

“For weeks Thoburn returned to that thin, unmapped trail” [which trail?]

“As Kreycik had run back up the ridge, he’d shortcut below the main trail, straight toward the access gate he’d used coming in.” [where on the ridge?]

“Kreycik kept going. Just seconds up the trail, he veered onto the Northridge spur, up and over a hillcrest with wide views of the city. Then the trail dropped, steeply, to another gate, and another No Entry sign.”
[where is the spur? Which trail drops to another gate? Where is that gate?]

Makes sense. I thought the Outside article had some useful information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back