Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
East Bay Regional Parks [URL='https://twitter.com/EBRPD']@EBRPD [/URL]3h
Yesterday afternoon, a deceased person matching Philip’s Kreycik’s description was found in Pleasanton Ridge. Our thanks to the search and rescue professionals and volunteers who assisted in finding Philip. Our thoughts and support are with the Kreycik family and friends.

Matthias Gafni [URL='https://twitter.com/mgafni']@mgafni [/URL]40m
NEW: Philip Kreycik was found w his smartwatch, which should provide investigators key biometrics, like when he started/stopped running, pace & his final heartbeat. It had no GPS component so not likely to provide his ultimate route, officials said.

Missing runner case: Smartwatch recovered with remains could yield clues, including a time of death
A smartwatch recovered with what are believed to be the remains of Philip Kreycik was...
sfchronicle.com

https://twitter.com/mgafni/status/1423042821200617473

Matthias Gafni @mgafni 40m
NEW: Philip Kreycik was found w his smartwatch, which should provide investigators key biometrics, like when he started/stopped running, pace & his final heartbeat. It had no GPS component so not likely to provide his ultimate route, officials said.

Missing runner case: Smartwatch recovered with remains could yield clues, including a time of death
A smartwatch recovered with what are believed to be the remains of Philip Kreycik was...
sfchronicle.com

Thank you for posting this - it answers my questions about that watch and how useful it was to the search. It would not have transmitted its data till it paired with his phone. Which was not too far away - this whole thing is so sad.

Hoping for details as to where he was found, why he would go off trail on to a game trail (which is so different from a running trail) and what his friends think happened.
Unless the law enforcement agencies are able to get his watch up and running and follow where he went and when, I am not sure we will know what happened.

What I have heard are some possibilities are:

Scenario 1: He made it to the loop trail on Pleasanton Ridge and completed it and could not get back to Moller Ranch----If he had not been able to climb the gate back to the Moller Ranch area via that side northeast heading "Lying Stump Shortcut trail," he would have had no choice but to continue north on the North Ridge trail. If you look here, you can see it leads to the darker shade green which indicates the landbank area---(zoom into see this in more detail) https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796

In the area where he was found, there are 4 wheel drive and single track trails, none of which probably have any signs because it is in the landbank area. The area where he was found is near the two red dots, one of which is the Poole house EBRPD security residence, the label water tank, etc. Perhaps he was trying to get out via Devany Canyon toward I-580 and did not make it.

Scenario 2: He got lost on the way up to the top of Pleasanton Ridge, made some wrong turns on the "Lying Stump Shortcut trail" and ended up in landbank area next to the adjacent neighborhood, the Preserve.

Scenario 3: He turned around in Moller Ranch because the trails were in such poor condition (mountain bike ruts, too steep, compacted uneven dirt), went to the Preserve trails, and tried to access Pleasanton Ridge from there, but never made it.

Scenario 4: Possibly Philip found this EBRPD concept map of trails on the internet https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896 did not realize this was a concept map and did not scroll down to see this is a trails map for trails, some of which do not exist yet or do exist but have no signs. He assumed these were the trails and went north toward the Devany Canyon area near the top of the map and tried to exit the park through Devany Canyon.

Scenario 5: Philip used the noise from the freeways to figure out how to get out of the park, but unfortunately did not make it.

Hopefully the law enforcement personnel will retrieve the data from the watch to figure out and retrace his exact path he took. Until they do, I think anything we say is speculative. I don't know whether they plan to download and analyze the watch data, but I hope they do.

p.s. I am basing the location he was found on the SF Chron map yesterday and thus think he was found on the Poole property in the landbank EBRPD property. If I see a more detailed map that is different than the SF Chron map, I'll relook at the Pleasanton Ridge map I have with parcel data and correct it.

Last edited:
The most confusing aspect of this, IMO, is that he was found so close to the edge of the park (I.e., near houses and civilization) that he could have crawled out and gotten help. Heatstroke could have rendered him irrational, of course, and he may have been seeking shade in the trees, but his relatively low body fat and lanky build put him at relatively low risk for heatstroke - meaning that he should have had a window of time where he knew he was in danger and was still rational enough to get help. I hope, for his family’s sake, the autopsy yields some answers and closure. Heat stroke causes organ damage but I don’t know what could be detected after 3 weeks in high temperatures and animal activity.

I think it's clear that he, like many other runners who have died during runs, exceeded his body's limits - as I posted before, even a loss of 1 liter of water from the body can create a cascading effect especially to the kidneys. For all we know, he crawled as far as he could.

One of the first symptoms of heat stroke is often a sense of euphoria or well-being, followed by subtle signs of the hair raising on one's body, and then chills - but at that point, people have been known to be less coherent than usual. I think he was still rational enough to get to shade.

I also think that he was likely a bit cognitively impaired when he missed the larger trail that led back to the parking lot shown in the posts just above. Same thing that happened to Barbara Thomas. Same thing that happened to one of my high school friends. Same thing that happened to that ultra-marathon runner who died hiking/running the lower trails at the North Rim of Grand Canyon.

One liter of water might have made a lot of difference in this case. When a friend died on Grandview Trail in Grand Canyon, I did a lot more research on heat stroke and also helped his family campaign to have signs at the top of every downward trail with a picture of how much water was needed by the average person on that trail, along with a big warning sign. The smaller signs they had before weren't doing it - and people still ignore them, of course. Every single time we've hiked down GC, we've been begged for water. In winter, there's no water on Bright Angel Trail until Indian Gardens - and people go with just 1 liter and it's not enough.

It was about 88F in the shade on the morning Phil went running/was finishing up and probably 97-99 in the sun, and if there was an easterly, dry wind, that wind whips moisture right off your skin - which is why a shirt helps, too. I hope they figure out his route - if he had been running more in the shade or at the top of the ridge.

Most "heat stroke" CoD's are merely a diagnosis of exclusion - so if you are a strict empiricist, you could say you'll never know. But I think it's the most probable answer, barring signs of foul play.

Thank you for posting this - it answers my questions about that watch and how useful it was to the search. It would not have transmitted its data till it paired with his phone. Which was not too far away - this whole thing is so sad.
I am hoping they can extract the data from the watch with his phone and obtain detailed data from the time he left his vehicle and figure out how exactly he arrived where he was found. I am hoping that his watch might be able to do this and I hope the police can find an expert who knows the ins and outs of how to analyze this information.

For Philip's route, the Moller Ranch trails are very steep. When the project was approved for the subdivision, one of the conditions said minimal grading for trails so that the switchbacks that you would see on normal trails at parks (Source: City of Pleasanton website Ordinance 1503/PUD 90-19) do not exist. The existing mayor at the time, Ken Mercer, voted against the development along with Ben Tarver. No EIR (Environmental Review) was done. Instead a shortcut method to get the project approved was used rather than a full EIR.

It is hard to get your footing especially on the uphill climb to the 'Bench.' Some posters of those who walked this route say you need cleats or golf shoes in order to not slip and fall or tumble backwards. I tried to go up that particular hill about a decade ago to take some photos from the 'Bench' you see on Google maps and turned around, and this was before many mountain bike riders used that hill for downhill riding. I had tennis shoes on at the time and kept slipping.

I wonder if Philip saw that uphill climb and turned around to go a different way.

Well, LE can contact Suunto, the manufacturer, for any help they need.
That is true. At this point, given Phil's body was found on East Bay Regional parkland, I do not know who the lead law enforcement agency is anymore. Will they turn this over to the East Bay Regional Park police? Will Pleasanton PD who was leading the Missing Persons investigation still be involved or are they no longer in the picture? Will the Alameda County sheriff's office have a greater role now that the search is over since Philip's body was found in Alameda County unincorporated territory? I have no idea what law enforcement agency will do what and who will make a decision as to whether to analyze the watch data or not.

I think it is important that they analyze the data and find out how the official SAR missed Philip in the early days of the search. The official SAR never shared where it searched or not to the Community searchers (Source: Find Philip Kreycik) as far as I know. On the other hand the community search shared everything and was very transparent. The official SAR though seemed to not disclose where they were searching and what methodology they were using to figure out where to search. Then on Sunday, the Pleasanton police announced that 100 percent of where Philip could and should have been had been searched. Obviously, the Pleasanton police were completely wrong so I think it is important that they figure out what happened.

Last edited:
Matthias Gafni [URL='https://twitter.com/mgafni']@mgafni [/URL]1h
Replying to @mgafni
In addition to his smartwatch, they found him wearing running shorts, his distinctive shoes, no shirt (he had left shirt in car) and his wedding ring. He had left cell phone in car & investigator said there was signal at spot he was found.

[URL='https://t.co/4olr326A9o?amp=1']Missing runner case: Smartwatch recovered with remains could yield clues, including a time of death

sfchronicle.com[/URL]

Matthias Gafni @mgafni 1h
Investigators accessed area on fire trail about 250 yards above him, but smaller cattle trail traversed the slope & Philip Kreycik found about 20 feet off that smaller trail. Very slippery, with dried oak leaves on arid dirt creating sort-of "oil slicks"

sfchronicle.com

Matthias Gafni [URL='https://twitter.com/mgafni']@mgafni [/URL]1m
NEW: This map shows the planned running route of Philip Kreycik based on his Strava account vs. where his body was found @sfchronicle
https://sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Missing-runner-case-Smartwatch-recovered-with-16364537.php…

Replying to @mgafni
In addition to his smartwatch, they found him wearing running shorts, his distinctive shoes, no shirt (he had left shirt in car) and his wedding ring. He had left cell phone in car & investigator said there was signal at spot he was found.

sfchronicle.com

Investigators accessed area on fire trail about 250 yards above him, but smaller cattle trail traversed the slope & Philip Kreycik found about 20 feet off that smaller trail. Very slippery, with dried oak leaves on arid dirt creating sort-of "oil slicks"

sfchronicle.com

Matthias Gafni @mgafni 1m
NEW: This map shows the planned running route of Philip Kreycik based on his Strava account vs. where his body was found @sfchronicle
https://sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Missing-runner-case-Smartwatch-recovered-with-16364537.php…

Thank you for posting this. I think the SF Chronicle has stepped up its reporting and think they provided a lot of details missing from other news outlets. The map the Chronicle put together showing the intended Strava route and where Philip's body was found with the topographic terrain detail really makes it clear.

At the fork between the North Ridge trail (what it is called now...it will be called Valle Vista in the future), assuming Philip completing the look, rather than Philip veering right toward Moller Ranch, he proceeded due north on the North Ridge/Valle Vista trail along the ridgeline. Or it could be possible he never made it to the loop and got lost or overcome by the heat on the way up to the Pleasanton Ridge park, perhaps getting lost on side trails on the ascent.

His body was found about where the x mark is on this map where the Valle Vista (what the North Ridge trail will be called in the future) trail curves around the summit shown in light yellow https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896

It sounds like the Pleasanton PD is still involved as well from the article and that the EB Parks police is not taking over the investigation.

If you have the Pleasanton Ridge trail map, the planned running route had him coming from Moller Ranch to Pleasanton Ridge via landbank area unofficially called the Lying Stump Shortcut Trail on some map services. Then from CT, I believe he was supposed to run counterclockwise up the Cowing trail, then south via the Sinbad Creek trail, then the bottom loop is the Turtle Pond trail, then a bit of the Loop trail, until heading north again via the North Ridge trail. Then the plan was to go northeast back via the unofficial Lying Stump Shortcut Trail.

Shoe prints that might belong to Philip were found heading uphill on the Mariposa trail meaning he may have shortened the loop and never made it to the Turtle Pond/Loop trail.

Last edited:
Well, LE can contact Suunto, the manufacturer, for any help they need.
Good point. If LE thinks they can recover pace and HR data, I don't know why GPS info wouldn't be recoverable too. Tracking the run is sort of the whole point for using a GPS watch. Obviously the battery probably died and the run therefore wasn't "saved" before then but that data likely wouldn't have been deleted either. Suunto should know if it's there.

I use a different brand (Garmin). The one time the battery died before I finished running, I was able to recover the data.

The EBPRD says this about Pleasanton Ridge: "This beautiful 9090-acre parkland is on the oak-covered ridge overlooking Pleasanton and the Livermore Valley from the west. It is planned as the core of a Ridgelands Regional Park to be acquired over a period of many years. Parkland development has been intentionally limited to preserve the pastoral atmosphere. The park occupies Pleasanton Ridge and beyond....In the park, elevations exceed 1,600 feet." Here is a district map:
View attachment 307516
Toward the portion of the park near 580, the elevation decreases a bit. Here is the area from Google maps where Philip's body was found. Google Maps
You can see the closeby house in the trees where I believe the EBRPD has its security/residence on this map---it is called the Poole house in EBRPD documents and if you look closely, you can see it above the Hedd Canyon label. The EBRPD calls this Devany Canyon rather than Hedd Canyon and I am not sure who is right.

I don't know if EBRPD searched the area around the Poole house. His body was found so close to the EBRPD house that I wonder if Philip saw it and could not reach it because of locked gates or some other reason. It looks about 800 feet away, but I do not know whether Philip could have seen or not due to the terrain and the tree cover. The house is fairly well hidden in the satellite view and unless you know almost precisely where it is, it is really hard to see. I can't see it at all when I pull up satellite view on Strava so either it is hidden by shadows or I am just not finding it.

Last edited:
I’d take any media reporting about the watch data with a grain of salt until police release that data.

I’ll give an update about the location and terrain soon but only once the investigation is fully satisfied they have everything from the area they need. Folks have already disturbed the scene and until autopsy is complete we should avoid anything that encourages more of that.

Toward the portion of the park near 580, the elevation decreases a bit. Here is the area from Google maps where Philip's body was found. Google Maps
You can see the closeby house in the trees where I believe the EBRPD has its security/residence on this map---it is called the Poole house in EBRPD documents and if you look closely, you can see it above the Hedd Canyon label. The EBRPD calls this Devany Canyon rather than Hedd Canyon and I am not sure who is right.

I don't know if EBRPD searched the area around the Poole house. His body was found so close to the EBRPD house that I wonder if Philip saw it and could not reach it because of locked gates or some other reason. It looks about 800 feet away, but I do not know whether Philip could have seen or not due to the terrain and the tree cover. The house is fairly well hidden in the satellite view and unless you know almost precisely where it is, it is really hard to see. I can't see it at all when I pull up satellite view on Strava so either it is hidden by shadows or I am just not finding it.

If he did see it and was trying to seek help there that would be the second or third time a hiker/runner in distress sought help from an unoccupied home in the heat just this summer, no?

Early on locals mentioned how confusing game trails can be up there. So sad there wasn't a better outcome. Hopefully this will lead to better awareness of the dangers of heat in the outdoors, overall and better safety and signage in that park.

This makes me wonder if the heat was a red herring and it was a simple slip and fall with a head wound that could have happened to anyone at any time. Hope the autopsy is revealing.

I’m obviously not victim blaming, but as a safety FYI from researching heat stroke it’s apparently a good idea to wear a shirt, preferably a wet one, as that will provide better cooling.

That is true. At this point, given Phil's body was found on East Bay Regional parkland, I do not know who the lead law enforcement agency is anymore. Will they turn this over to the East Bay Regional Park police? Will Pleasanton PD who was leading the Missing Persons investigation still be involved or are they no longer in the picture? Will the Alameda County sheriff's office have a greater role now that the search is over since Philip's body was found in Alameda County unincorporated territory? I have no idea what law enforcement agency will do what and who will make a decision as to whether to analyze the watch data or not.

I think it is important that they analyze the data and find out how the official SAR missed Philip in the early days of the search. The official SAR never shared where it searched or not to the Community searchers (Source: Find Philip Kreycik) as far as I know. On the other hand the community search shared everything and was very transparent. The official SAR though seemed to not disclose where they were searching and what methodology they were using to figure out where to search. Then on Sunday, the Pleasanton police announced that 100 percent of where Philip could and should have been had been searched. Obviously, the Pleasanton police were completely wrong so I think it is important that they figure out what happened.
My interpretation of them saying 100% was of the trail he supposedly traveled as mapped in Strava on his phone & a perimeter of it, not the entire open space. He was on landbank property well north of what his route was assumed to be. Very, very fortunate they were able to find his body in that terrain. Being "close" to highways and houses in this particular area is no guarantee of ever being found. Wilderness, my friends, is wilderness even if near development. With elevation changes, trees & few, if any, people actively around that area, it is amazing he was found at all. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72
Back