Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 --- if you zoom in to around 200 percent....

In this map, it looks like he was found about where the R and K are with the word water tank due west from Blessing Dr in EBRPD landbank property right over the hill from The Preserve neighborhood in Pleasanton. The area is also near to 2 big red dots labeled residences. I do not know if these red dots are buildings that belong to EBRPD, but they might be....if so how could he have been so close to these two EBRPD buildings without being found?

The area was in the search area if I am reading Google Maps correctly because they label the area Hedd Canyon.

I will find out what those red dots represent.

I think the map the Chronicle posted seems more detailed than the East Bay Times so I am looking at the link above and comparing it to the Chronicle map.

p.s. The map above has Morgan Dr labeled but it should be Blessing Dr. It looks like he was found directly west of the end of Blessing Dr....where the yellow and black circle is at the end point of the road.

Last edited:
In some of the photos - in several of the articles - LE appears to be entering or leaving private property, leading me to believe that he was found on that private property.
I see the photo showing LE access through private property but according to the link:
"In a statement, police said the area was within regional-park district territory, and about a quarter-mile away from Kreycik’s intended route."
Body found in Pleasanton park believed to be Philip Kreycik, missing Berkeley runner

Matthias Gafni @mgafni 34m
Went out to residential neighborhood near scene of #PhilipKreycik recovery in Pleasanton. Body was found due west of Blessing Drive dead-end, under trees near an open area. There is dirt road at top of hill above where he was found. https://sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Missing-runner-case-Police-say-they-found-body-16361756.php…

225808039_567293154456870_1436401732549096770_n.png

So looks like the search on July 19th walked right past the body, (made sharp turn to the South at the location)?

Philip was found on landbank EBRPD property based on me looking at the maps. I believe that he was found on the Poole property that the EBRPD acquired in 1991 and has kept in landbank status since that time. The residence on the Poole property close to where Philip was found is a combination security office/security residence.

If you read through the Pleasanton Ridge land use plan you can find out all about it....https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=23276

"Maintenance of Existing Infrastructure Retain the following non-system service road (EVMA) access points: Serenity Terrace Road (private) to Tehan Ridge Trail; Valle Vista Trail through “The Preserve” subdivision open space; Devany Canyon Trail to “The Preserve” subdivision [Pagini]; and to Devany Canyon Rd via Hedd Trail [Vinson] Maintain house (Poole) located off Devany Canyon Road as a park security residence Continue to recognize access easements along a service-road-width trail (>8‟) and access and water rights to a private inholding per Figure 10 - Easements [Contingent on parcel continuing to be held in fee by private parties]"

The private property signs seen in the media today were on the gates off of the Blessing Dr endpoint road in the Preserve. CT said last night there were specific access codes to get into that gate when he posted. Law enforcement used that road to travel to the location.

However, it looks like Philip was found on landbank EBRPD property near their park security residence (Poole) mentioned above.

The document also says "Vinson/Poole Residence. One of the park residences is located on the former Poole property. Its approximately 2,000 square feet with a two car detached garage. The Poole‟s bought their property from Ted Vinson before the District purchased it from the Poole family. There are no structures of any historic merit standing on the property."

This could be the second red dot on the Fire and Public Safety map I posted a link to in previous posts or perhaps they are referring to the house by two different names. It is hard to tell.

Last edited:

So looks like the search on July 19th walked right past the body, (made sharp turn to the South at the location)?
Another lesson, of many, how SAR can miss someone when searching a large area, no matter the conditions that we often assume would lead them to him.
This is not critism of searchers and dogs who provide an amazing service, just an acknowledgement of the reality of how difficult their job is.

It looks pretty close but I have a hard time looking at the Strava terrain and mapping it to the EBRPD map just because they seem to use somewhat different contours. Also I do not have Strava as well but what you have done seems really close to where he was found. Can you check if the circle on the Strava is due west from the dead end of Blessing Dr? If that is the case, I think your circle looks close to where the R and T are that I thought corresponded to the SF Chron map. Google maps calls it Hedd Canyon but EBRPD refers to it as Devany Canyon so it gets a little confusing to say the least.

The reporter's description of due west from the dead end of Blessing Dr seems accurate so far based upon also the helicopter pattern someone posted earlier. I think the searchers came very close, but maybe did not go down the steep hill close enough to look under the tree cover unfortunately.

Here is a photo of the entrance to 11025 Dublin Canyon Road. Google Maps This is the road that turns into a dirt road near where he was found --- this EVA exits to the north toward I-580. It is an EVA entrance/exit listed for the area, but as you see from the Fire and Safety Map where there is the big orange circle labeled 11025 Dublin Canyon Road, once this road goes up the hill, there appear from the map marking to have a number of gates https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 which are shown by a series of small yellow and black circles. Maybe Philip was trying to get out via this EVA route and forced into the game trail because the actual road was full of fences and gates.

He was so close to exiting the park both to the north, the future Devany Canyon trailhead now the 11025 Dublin Canyon EVA https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896 and also the eastern direction toward the Preserve subdivision.... incredibly tragic.

Last edited:
It looks pretty close but I have a hard time looking at the Strava terrain and mapping it to the EBRPD map just because they seem to use somewhat different contours. Also I do not have Strava as well but what you have done seems really close to where he was found. Can you check if the circle on the Strava is due west from the dead end of Blessing Dr? If that is the case, I think your circle looks close to where the R and T are that I thought corresponded to the SF Chron map. Google maps calls it Hedd Canyon but EBRPD refers to it as Devany Canyon so it gets a little confusing to say the least.

The reporter's description of due west from the dead end of Blessing Dr seems accurate so far based upon also the helicopter pattern someone posted earlier. I think the searchers came very close, but maybe did not go down the steep hill close enough to look under the tree cover unfortunately.

Here is a photo of the entrance to 11025 Dublin Canyon Road. Google Maps This is the road that turns into a dirt road near where he was found --- this EVA exits to the north toward I-580. It is an EVA entrance/exit listed for the area, but as you see from the Fire and Safety Map where there is the big orange circle labeled 11025 Dublin Canyon Road, once this road goes up the hill, there appear from the map marking to have a number of gates https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 which are shown by a series of small yellow and black circles. Maybe Philip was trying to get out via this EVA route and forced into the game trail because the actual road was full of fences and gates.

He was so close to exiting the park both to the north and the eastern direction.... incredibly tragic.
Here is the map on Strava: Strava Walk Activity it is zoomable in the page.

Coming back since you all are analyzing my Strava activity that did get close. I noted the trail that ultimately we found him on at that time as something to follow up on since it wasn't on any maps, but it wasn't in the section we were traveling that day. Ultimately we found Phil because we knew we had a gap there to fill and filled it, the folks that filled it didn't complete the section but noted the wind direction and a smell. We found him today following that.

I would ask that out of respect for some folks that are grieving you not try to publicly post routes that came close. I'll go ahead and say that we've done this analysis already, and there's one that got very close the Monday morning after he went missing. There are also no SAR tracks that get closer than the fire-road (which is where Scott and my tracks are in the one linked above). The one that actually took the single-track (intentional usage here) is a friend of Phil's, please consider the unnecessary guilt this person is likely to feel when they realize just how close they came.

From the fire-road it's about 200' to where he was, around a bend and a hill.

If you talk to folks in SAR these sorts of near-misses are relatively common, and heartbreaking. Especially for the folks that got so near. I can't begin to describe how bad I personally feel knowing I got within 200' on multiple occasions and even photographed (and later instagrammed) the rough location he was eventually found (the single-track is out-of-view not 10 feet from where I'm standing taking the first picture here. Login • Instagram)

Thank you for this information. I was in tears when I heard about the loss of Philip, even though I was just following this missing person from my home in Canada. I know the devastation of losing a husband myself, and I sympathize with Philip's wife and children. I admire your help in leading the mission to find Philip. Hopefully you can take comfort in knowing you did all you could to find him.

One of the videos Body found near East Bay trail believed to be of missing runner Philip Kreycik shows some helicopter footage or airplane footage of the area he was found. It looks like there were perhaps a pair of deep tire tracks or a pair of some sort of sunken trails side by side near the tree line. I am having difficulty figuring out what they might be.

I am not sure if these are the same as this from the aerial view of Google maps Google Maps

Also, at 1:25 you can see how close he was to the nearby Pleasanton houses from the aerial shot in the news. That looks to be the Preserve which has its staging area called Laurel Creek staging area, and is not the Moller Ranch subdivision. Body of missing runner found in Pleasanton According to the newscast, he was found in EBRPD property 'not open for recreation' which sounds to me like landbank property that they purchased but have never opened to the public. If I am looking at the map correctly, I think EBRPD purchased it a very long time ago in 1991. That is irritating in itself. They have had 30 years to make this parcel safe, put up directional signs on the trails, yet it looks as though they have made no steps to make it safe or put up trail signs.

I hope they are able to figure out exactly how he got there, including an explanation of why he was not spotted on video in the Moller Ranch neighborhood. I hope they can figure out how he ended up next to The Preserve neighborhood perhaps by obtaining the watch and attempting to figure out whether he took the route he intended to, took a different route completely, made it around the loop and took a wrong turn, or perhaps he never made it to the loop area at all.

Also if they use the watch data hopefully it will explain why the dog scent ended or whether the dog actually accurately traced Philip's path in the first place and also will settle once and for all if those are his shoe prints on the Mariposa trail.

Also a lot of maps and text the EBRPD seems to be very confusing so even with one of these maps accompanied by text, anyone can get lost. In some of the documents they refer to Devany Canyon Rd. Devany Canyon Rd as far as I can tell does not exit. Maybe they mean Dublin Canyon Rd. I have no idea. But if I live here locally and see a lot errors in their documents that don't make any sense, it is no surprise people can get lost up there.

Once they figure out what happened, I hope the city and park district put up directional signs so that a tragedy like this will not ever happen again. Also if they put up some sort of emergency phone system at staging areas and several up there in the park like there are emergency phones with embedded security cameras on college campuses, hopefully future tragedies like this can be prevented. That way, someone who needs help can summon emergency personnel immediately.

Last edited:
Two videos are included in this article. A reporter on the scene in the second video states that LE has not ruled out foul play.
Body found near East Bay trail believed to be of missing runner Philip Kreycik

This news is so sad.

And nothing about this makes any sense, still. How did PK get there? I hope an autopsy will give some answers. The fact that LE hasn't ruled out foul play is telling imo. It seems to me like the body could have been hidden. IDK. My heart goes out to PK's family, friends, and all the searchers who worked so hard.

He was so close to exiting the park both to the north, the future Devany Canyon trailhead now the 11025 Dublin Canyon EVA https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896 and also the eastern direction toward the Preserve subdivision.... incredibly tragic.
Great info! What is an EVA, please? Thank you.

Great info! What is an EVA, please? Thank you.
Emergency Vehicle Access. It is how they get vehicles to the site, particularly fire engines, police cars, and ambulances. The Orange big blobs show where they are here on the Fire and Public Safety Map https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796

The park district also calls them EVMA for Emergency Vehicle and Maintenance Access.

There may be a more current map on the internet but this is the one I found. There is also a document for the Pleasanton Ridge that explains the emergency vehicle paths here https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=23276
On page 84 in the document and page 102 in the pdf it lists the emergency routes. Some of the trail names are different, i.e. Valle Vista trail = North Ridge trail so it is somewhat confusing to map new trail names to old trail names. On this list you will see the Preserve listed multiple times. This is the closest subdivision where Philip was found.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches