Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In support of terracotta here, I am certainly no expert, but have done a bit of research on this topic. Even if poor PK passed away immediately, these types of cameras could have detected his body for several days, even in the heat conditions that existed in July. There is also a type of (commonly available) camera that is most effective about 9-12 days after passing. This is all from my memory and I would assume the type of camera or location of their aerial search must not have allowed them to find PK this way.
Moo, I don’t believe it would have saved him, just shortened the search time.
Jmo
Yes, the equipment not working to find him or it not being used where he was were the 2 possibilities. The prelim autopsy indicates a medical emergency, doubt any heat seeking equipment would have changed the outcome for him.

This is merely my opinion and speculation.

I do not agree it is fair to debate the decisions of the SAR teams that searched for Philip. SAR members suffer PTSD when they are unsuccessful in their quest.

As soon as Phil's body temp began rising above 100 degrees, his brain cells were dying in immense quantities. I do not expect Philip was able to "run" any longer but perhaps he began staggering due to confusion. As brilliant of a genius that Mr. Kreycik was, he could not combat the result of the impact of the heat in his brain unless he was able to cool his body temp down. It sounds like he did try to do this when he sought refuge in the bushes.

Gently put, Philip ran until he couldn't. SAR could not have saved him. It is likely Philip had already passed by the time the 911 was called at 2:00pm.

https://twitter.com/melissacolorado/status/1423353205635784706?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1423353205635784706|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/philip-kreyciks-family-devastated-after-body-found-grateful-for-search-effort/2623391/
Philip Kreycik's Family Devastated After Body Found, Grateful for Search Effort

To add:
Silacci said based on their mapping, search and rescue teams two weeks ago came within 100 to 200 yards from where the body was discovered.

"They did search that area," he said. "You’d have to be very close in order to know that someone was there just because of the topography and the terrain."
So then, how can they be certain they even checked any given area? (If the range of search is so small, then it must be overestimated and leads to "we searched 100% of the area" when indeed it was much smaller

I do not agree it is fair to debate the decisions of the SAR teams that searched for Philip. SAR members suffer PTSD when they are unsuccessful in their quest.

As soon as Phil's body temp began rising above 100 degrees, his brain cells were dying in immense quantities. I do not expect Philip was able to "run" any longer but perhaps he began staggering due to confusion. As brilliant of a genius that Mr. Kreycik was, he could not combat the result of the impact of the heat in his brain unless he was able to cool his body temp down. It sounds like he did try to do this when he sought refuge in the bushes.

Gently put, Philip ran until he couldn't. SAR could not have saved him. It is likely Philip had already passed by the time the 911 was called at 2:00pm.
No one is debating the decisions of SAR teams. The question was brought about simply because of the vast amount of thermal technology that was deployed and seemingly didn't turn up anything. Its a question of how can we improve.

I agree with you. Let us honor PK and all involved by allowing them some time to process this tragedy.

So many invested so much. I find that to be the most important lesson - working together makes such a difference!

Every search and rescue has its unique challenges. Those on the scene and directly involved can share what they have learned at the appropriate time.

Like PK, I like to gather and analyze data. At this time we do not have a complete enough data set to reach conclusions. With time we will and will learn from this event.

Peace be with all involved.

JMHO

To correct a few things

- we never stopped or even paused searching in the park as volunteers. We simply stopped putting out a call for volunteers in mass, we’d reached a point it needed to be handled with more caution. We did put out a call near the end of the search for some additional folks we were going to screen to bring in mostly because our core folks had become tired from weeks of searching daily, and because we’d decided to expand into a secondary search radius more thoroughly once we exhausted the primary. We found him in the primary search radius so that became unnecessary.
- SAR shared their tracks with us. That sharing had a lot to do with why we found him.
- We did direct a few folks to just go walk his route and search where they felt called. This was more or a less a polite way of keeping them engaged and giving them a chance to search (and potentially find something we missed) without sending them somewhere that was a risk to them.
- SAR never had the position that any area outside of a few small zones was done 100%, and certainly not the full primary zone and even more the secondary zones or the full park. It’s unfortunate that an unscripted overzealous PPD officer made the 100% comment, it hurt everyone involved from all vested parties.

I’d read what I already wrote on this.

EDIT: original post didn’t get quoted, but basically I’d stop speculating they fences and gates are insurmountable (people hop them and crawl under them all the time, and for Philip he only had to hop one very easy to hop gate to end up where he did).

It makes total sense where we found him, in fact he’s literally where I put the most priority in our own search early on and where I told SAR I felt the highest likelihood would have been. That’s a detail that does cut me up, we came so close. The trouble was a lot of searchers in the first few days never recorded their tracks so we though we had slightly better coverage there than we did, and where he was managed to be exactly between two search areas but not in either. I’d realized there was that gap on Monday the 12th and sent someone there but they turned around too soon. When you’ve got dozens of gaps and a dozens of priority areas, you don’t always get back to one for a bit. If I could go back I’d double or triple the number of tracks in each area we sent folks in addition to making extra sure they were recording.

We sent folks back to fill the gaps in that region repeatedly over the next few weeks, but unfortunately the nature of steep slippery terrain and brush is that folks sometimes think they’ve covered enough or take a path of least resistance and fail to close the gap. This was part of why we were relying on a core of folks we knew would and could stick to the script to get the coverage.

To point out how easy this can happen, the folks we sent in there Sunday (8/1) to fill the last gap on that slope thought they’d done 100% of the area, except they missed about half the gap including where we found him.

This is what’s hard about searching, it’s a needle, and you’re not sure how big the haystack is. We had some folks get within 25’ or so on the 11th in the afternoon. But they missed him, and I’m not surprised. When we found him it was hard to realize you were seeing a form in the shadows that wasn’t just another pile of sticks until you were much closer than that.

that edit turned into a post

Last edited:
It’s possible that the thermal drones missed Philip by not getting to the right area, it’s also possible they simply missed him. A lot of folks here seem to be giving that tech way more credit than they should. We got to see what they were seeing in those early nights, and they couldn’t see their own folks.

Some have said only the first day was hot, that’s not the case. The first three days were hot and only on the third night of those three did it cool off. Those first nights I don’t think the ridge areas got much below 85-90, ground temps likely higher. Those temps combined with Philip likely having passed already plus the tree cover he was under means it’s unlikely thermal would have even had a chance until that third night. Thermal search is a limited resource and you’ve got to remember that it’s not just area covered but also when it was covered. If they went over him too soon they may not have come back for another pass until it was too late.

Hi @runspired, you, the other volunteers, and the official SAR teams did an exemplary job in the search. Please don't let the second guessing on this forum convince you otherwise. You have only to look around this forum a bit to see how many similar types of disappearances occur which never have this level of search effort invested and which also never find any answers.

What a blessing Phillip and his family had in @runspired and all of the other folks who spent so much time, effort, and dedication to finding him. If I were to ever go missing, I hope I'd have a friend like you @runspired, and I truly hope you're able to have peace of mind knowing that you never gave up and were there for your friend.

https://twitter.com/melissacolorado/status/1423353205635784706?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1423353205635784706|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/philip-kreyciks-family-devastated-after-body-found-grateful-for-search-effort/2623391/
Philip Kreycik's Family Devastated After Body Found, Grateful for Search Effort

To add:
Silacci said based on their mapping, search and rescue teams two weeks ago came within 100 to 200 yards from where the body was discovered.

"They did search that area," he said. "You’d have to be very close in order to know that someone was there just because of the topography and the terrain."
I wonder why decomposition was not smelled by search and rescue teams 2 weeks ago if they were within 100 to 200 yards of body.

It’s possible that the thermal drones missed Philip by not getting to the right area, it’s also possible they simply missed him. A lot of folks here seem to be giving that tech way more credit than they should. We got to see what they were seeing in those early nights, and they couldn’t see their own folks.

Some have said only the first day was hot, that’s not the case. The first three days were hot and only on the third night of those three did it cool off. Those first nights I don’t think the ridge areas got much below 85-90, ground temps likely higher. Those temps combined with Philip likely having passed already plus the tree cover he was under means it’s unlikely thermal would have even had a chance until that third night. Thermal search is a limited resource and you’ve got to remember that it’s not just area covered but also when it was covered. If they went over him too soon they may not have come back for another pass until it was too late.
The temperature data is from a weather history site: Weather in July 2021 in Pleasanton, California, USA
It gets very cool at night in the Pleasanton area, definitely not 85-90 degrees at night . Far East bay has wider temperature range daily. If used correctly, the thermal imaging (on aircraft, not the drone, the drone is a least cost version of what is on the aircraft having the FLIR) would have picked him up on any given night. There should be a video of it somewhere (all FLIR data is recorded, so they can review). So unfortunate of an event, but hoping we can learn from it to help future searchers be more efficient. No second guessing here, just a "How can we improve". Thank you.

I wonder why decomposition was not smelled by search and rescue teams 2 weeks ago if they were within 100 to 200 yards of body.

it doesn’t carry far unless you have the wind. We found him because of the wind conditions more than anything else. Even then it took a repetitive process to narrow in the location. About 5min to get from 100’ away uphill to 5’ away, which is about what it took to physically see him. The search teams that got within 200-300’ were all downwind and downhill through foliage and around the side of a hill.

The temperature data is from a weather history site: Weather in July 2021 in Pleasanton, California, USA
It gets very cool at night in the Pleasanton area, definitely not 85-90 degrees at night . Far East bay has wider temperature range daily. If used correctly, the thermal imaging (on aircraft, not the drone, the drone is a least cost version of what is on the aircraft having the FLIR) would have picked him up on any given night. There should be a video of it somewhere (all FLIR data is recorded, so they can review). So unfortunate of an event, but hoping we can learn from it to help future searchers be more efficient. No second guessing here, just a "How can we improve". Thank you.

those temps are taken at base level in the shade and don’t reflect ground temps. It’s much different for fully exposed areas that bake in the sun. I agree it gets cool at night normally, but it didn’t the first two nights. Caught me off guard the third night because I’d gotten used to not needing a long sleeve or jacket.

it doesn’t carry far unless you have the wind. We found him because of the wind conditions more than anything else. Even then it took a repetitive process to narrow in the location. About 5min to get from 100’ away uphill to 5’ away, which is about what it took to physically see him. The search teams that got within 200-300’ were all downwind and downhill through foliage and around the side of a hill.
So sorry for the loss of your friend. I am hoping it brings some comfort that PK did the run with you and your friend the evening prior to 7/10/21. From the photo, PK seems so content...happy. I just wish when LE arrived at Moller Ranch Staging parking area around 2pm to 3pm maybe shortly after...I wish PK could have been found. Were the shoe prints determined to be PK's? Trying to make sense of where he was found. My 13 year old daughter and I were amongst the initial volunteer search. This also makes me appreciate some sort of respect with the wildlife in our East Bay. PK was on/near a game trail. So glad your volunteer(s) found him but wished for a better outcome. I think what's more important for runners than trying to clock a run is to run with safety measures first and foremost. Like Strava should have some sort of quick question/answer before user can route a run...Are you planning to run alone? Are you running a designated trail public trail run? Weather conditions? Water? Communication device with you? Seems like PK deviated from safety and so sad of the outcome.

My sincere apologies. I didn’t realize there was a verified friend in this thread. You all did an amazing job organizing and continuing to search for your loved one. I’m very sorry for the loss of Philip.

Seems somewhat strange that the city of Pleasanton has brought down their website pleasantontrails.com and at least when I try to access it, it says it can't find it with "This site can't be reached." I went to the Internet Archive --- there is a redirect to the Internet Archive to
City of Pleasanton, CA - Pleasanton Trails Master Plan with a trails map that also no longer appears on the City of Pleasanton's website that I can find.

The trails map https://www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/documents/Trail Maps/Future Trail System Detail Map.pdf that used to be on there has a blue dotted trail going from what looks through the Blessing Dr dead end in the Preserve, traverses the private property (light gray area) on the other side of the gate, and then seems to enter the north end of Pleasanton Ridge park. You have to zoom into to see this blue dotted trail.

In the northwest corner, the city map shows a whole array of trails at the north end of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park around where Philip's body was found (darker gray area), but when I look at Google aerial view and look at the helicopter footage, I only see the end point of the North Ridge trail and what looks to be a couple of little trails.

I am not sure why the city of Pleasanton drew all of these trails at the north end of Pleasanton Ridge park. They may actually exist but perhaps they are invisible from the Google aerials. Maybe they are all under a tree canopy and they just don't appear from the Google satellite view. Or maybe they depict the 'game trails' possibly? Or is the city of Pleasanton depicting this network of trails in the northern end of Pleasanton Ridge park as an official pre-existing set of trails? I have no idea. But the legend on the map says solid lines are "existing improved surface trails" so if I was looking at this map the city put on their website, I would assume the northern part of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park has a lot of existing improved surface trails already there, not 'game trails.'

I wonder if Pleasanton told the law enforcement SAR about this map. It seems if they had, perhaps the law enforcement SAR would have searched the north end of Pleasanton Ridge more thoroughly. I find it a bit odd that this map no longer has a link that I can find that brings this trail map up on the current city of Pleasanton website. I also find it odd that the city is wanting to build a trail from the Moller Ranch/The Preserve trails through private property (the gray box that is the lighter gray that has the blue dotted trail go through it) to access the northern end of Pleasanton Ridge park (the darker gray portion to the left of the private property).

I wonder if the city of Pleasanton told the Alameda County sheriff in charge of the official SAR or the volunteer searchers about this map that used to be on the city's internet trails site?

Last edited:
Seems somewhat strange that the city of Pleasanton has brought down their website pleasantontrails.com and at least when I try to access it, it says it can't find it with "This site can't be reached." I went to the Internet Archive --- there is a redirect to the Internet Archive to
City of Pleasanton, CA - Pleasanton Trails Master Plan with a trails map that also no longer appears on the City of Pleasanton's website that I can find.

The trails map https://www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/documents/Trail Maps/Future Trail System Detail Map.pdf that used to be on there has a blue dotted trail going from what looks through the Blessing Dr dead end in the Preserve, traverses the private property (light gray area) on the other side of the gate, and then seems to enter the north end of Pleasanton Ridge park. You have to zoom into to see this blue dotted trail.

In the northwest corner, the city map shows a whole array of trails at the north end of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park around where Philip's body was found (darker gray area), but when I look at Google aerial view and look at the helicopter footage, I only see the end point of the North Ridge trail and what looks to be a couple of little trails.

I am not sure why the city of Pleasanton drew all of these trails at the north end of Pleasanton Ridge park. They may actually exist but perhaps they are invisible from the Google aerials. Maybe they are all under a tree canopy and they just don't appear from the Google satellite view. Or maybe they depict the 'game trails' possibly? Or is the city of Pleasanton depicting this network of trails in the northern end of Pleasanton Ridge park as an official pre-existing set of trails? I have no idea. But the legend on the map says solid lines are "existing improved surface trails" so if I was looking at this map the city put on their website, I would assume the northern part of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park has a lot of existing improved surface trails already there, not 'game trails.'

I wonder if Pleasanton told the law enforcement SAR about this map. It seems if they had, perhaps the law enforcement SAR would have searched the north end of Pleasanton Ridge more thoroughly. I find it a bit odd that this map no longer has a link that I can find that brings this trail map up on the current city of Pleasanton website. I also find it odd that the city is wanting to build a trail from the Moller Ranch/The Preserve trails through private property (the gray box that is the lighter gray that has the blue dotted trail go through it) to access the northern end of Pleasanton Ridge park (the darker gray portion to the left of the private property).

I wonder if the city of Pleasanton told the Alameda County sheriff in charge of the official SAR or the volunteer searchers about this map that used to be on the city's internet trails site?
I'm confused. The map you posted a link to is proposed future trails. Are you saying you think these are now established trails? Or are you asking if they are?

Also, just curious why it matters. The area where PK was found appears very hilly and rugged to me.

Are you questioning why this area was not a main focus of the SAR? I really believe that has been asked and answered.

Have you been on the PR trails? If so, what is your impression of the terrain? On top of the ridge where the land is open rather than dense appears to be very different than where he was found. I have never been on the ground there.

Just trying to understand how pouring over deleted maps helps. Not intending to be rude.

MOO

I'm confused. The map you posted a link to is proposed future trails. Are you saying you think these are now established trails? Or are you asking if they are?

Also, just curious why it matters. The area where PK was found appears very hilly and rugged to me.

Are you questioning why this area was not a main focus of the SAR? I really believe that has been asked and answered.

Have you been on the PR trails? If so, what is your impression of the terrain? On top of the ridge where the land is open rather than dense appears to be very different than where he was found. I have never been on the ground there.

Just trying to understand how pouring over deleted maps helps. Not intending to be rude.

MOO
The legend of the map says solid lines are supposed to be pre-existing established trails and it shows many pre-existing trails in the north section of the Pleasanton ridge park that 1) I don't see on the Google satellite view and 2) did not see on the helicopter flyover footage.

The Pleasanton police last weekend said that 100% of where Philip would be and should be had been searched. I am not sure why for the official SAR run by law enforcement there was not more emphasis on searching the northern section of Pleasanton Ridge.

Yes, I have been on the PR trails and the top of the ridgelines are grassland, with the sides covered by mostly trees. But I have never been to the north section of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park.

It seems like the volunteer searchers felt the northern area of Pleasanton Ridge park was a primary area vs the official law enforcement SAR seemed to discount this area as a possible place Philip could be. Police have 'pretty much 100% covered' area where missing California runner could be as search enters fourth week with '“We pretty much 100% covered where he could've been, should've been or would likely show up,” Pleasanton Police Lieutenant Chris Niederhaus told the press Saturday, at a local high school where volunteer search teams had gathered.' Also now law enforcement characterize where he was found as remote, but the Pleasanton trails map would make it appear there are pre-existing trails all over the area Philip was found and the next property over, also elsewhere from the website from Pleasanton, says they are creating a housing subdivision called "Hidden Canyon."

Law enforcement SAR seemed to focus on the Strava route found on Philip's cell phone. Even when shoe prints were found on Mariposa, which was not on Philip's cell phone and deviated from the route (which showed Turtle Pond instead), law enforcement still seemed to not broaden the search area but again still focused on the Strava route.

Last edited:
The legend of the map says solid lines are supposed to be pre-existing established trails and it shows many pre-existing trails in the north section of the Pleasanton ridge park that 1) I don't see on the Google satellite view and 2) did not see on the helicopter flyover footage.

The Pleasanton police last weekend said that 100% of where Philip would be and should be had been searched. I am not sure why for the official SAR run by law enforcement there was not more emphasis on searching the northern section of Pleasanton Ridge.

Yes, I have been on the PR trails and the top of the ridgelines are grassland, with the sides covered by mostly trees. But I have never been to the north section of Pleasanton Ridge Regional park.

It seems like the volunteer searchers felt the northern area of Pleasanton Ridge park was a primary area vs the official law enforcement SAR seemed to discount this area as a possible place Philip could be. Police have 'pretty much 100% covered' area where missing California runner could be as search enters fourth week with '“We pretty much 100% covered where he could've been, should've been or would likely show up,” Pleasanton Police Lieutenant Chris Niederhaus told the press Saturday, at a local high school where volunteer search teams had gathered.' Also now law enforcement characterize where he was found as remote, but the Pleasanton trails map would make it appear there are pre-existing trails all over the area Philip was found and the next property over, also elsewhere from the website from Pleasanton, says they are creating a housing subdivision called "Hidden Canyon."

Law enforcement SAR seemed to focus on the Strava route found on Philip's cell phone. Even when shoe prints were found on Mariposa, which was not on Philip's cell phone and deviated from the route (which showed Turtle Pond instead), law enforcement still seemed to not broaden the search area but again still focused on the Strava route.
Thank you for this analysis. Could it be possible SAR already checked this place and he wasn't there when they did?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back