Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a thought about the dogs. If the items used to find him were contaminated, as his friend suggested in this article, then the dogs wouldn't have been able to track him at all. But they were able to track him so they had a scent. And then it stopped. It stopped at the beginning of the trail, which leads me to believe that he didn't take the trail.

So, did he go back the way he came, perhaps back to the car? If he had continued on the trail, the dogs would have been able to track him longer.

“Looking for something hard to find”: Friend speaks out on mystifying disappearance of runner Philip Kreycik - The San Francisco Times

I'm more than a little confused by scent dogs, and their limitations. I also found that bit confusing when read the article.

How close is the beginning of the trail to an area where cars would pass? i.e. could PK or another person have moved with scent to the start of trail, and have been picked up at that spot? My only knowledge is from photos online, and this seems possible in some of the locations I have seen which almost appear to start off as roads. Is the area where he was believed to have ran also like this?

Speculation ONLY by me. I'm only curious and bouncing ideas of explanations for how/why his scent may have gone cold. I am assuming there are likely many others.

Regarding the texting between PK and his wife, where she asked his ETA and he replied "12:35" -- someone said there was a phone call following that text? Between him and wife? Do we know that for sure?

I'm just thinking about how texts are not proof of who is sending the text, only proof his phone was used, and wondering when is the last time PK's wife physically saw him (when did she leave for Stockton?) or spoke to him on the phone?

I thought he called his wife and spoke with her when he got to the trail

So are there other parking spots in this parking area or I guess they call it a staging area? If someone else would have been parked there and let's say had car trouble or they say their car wouldn't start, would he be likely to go over to assist them? Is there a parking spot right by the trailhead? So if his scent was tracked to the start of the trail and stopped, perhaps he got into a car there? Just trying to get a feel for the area.

He did not even know if he drank alcohol, so not super close it would seem to me. He has posted elsewhere that they were in a running group together. Wonder if they often car pooled as they did on Friday evening?

Anecdotal, unless for a legit race (10k, marathon etc) we rarely car pool. Some want to run different distances at different paces. Therefore, the ability to leave when done. We come from different directions. And, Not everyone would be prepared at pick-up and you’d have to wait, awful when chomping at the bit. Also, we usually have something to do thereafter.( Even if it’s going straight home to take a nap, I want that option. )The flexibility of owning your time is part of the lure of running in itself.

So are there other parking spots in this parking area or I guess they call it a staging area? If someone else would have been parked there and let's say had car trouble or they say their car wouldn't start, would he be likely to go over to assist them? Is there a parking spot right by the trailhead? So if his scent was tracked to the start of the trail and stopped, perhaps he got into a car there? Just trying to get a feel for the area.

I’m sorry I keep posting on this. I think I know behavior in this rarified odd group: runners. Trail runners, are even odder. Yes, most runners would indeed help a stranded motorist near a trailhead. We intrinsically feel comradeship with others that enjoy Mother Nature.
I’ve never been to the particular spot where CL’s car was.

Anecdotal, unless for a legit race (10k, marathon etc) we rarely car pool. Some want to run different distances at different paces. Therefore, the ability to leave when done. We come from different directions. And, Not everyone would be prepared at pick-up and you’d have to wait, awful when chomping at the bit. Also, we usually have something to do thereafter.( Even if it’s going straight home to take a nap, I want that option. )The flexibility of owning your time is part of the lure of running in itself.
Thanks, that was my experience when I ran, but, maybe it is a concern for environment thing and they live close. The 3rd runner from Friday evening did drive himself.

I could see helping someone at the trailhead too--caught the hiker in user ID, and used to hike often myself, so yes, that fits hikers as well, right? Plus, PK sounds like an all-around nice guy from the various accounts, so someone who would likely help another person.

This would have us trying to come up with a motive though? Why would someone go there, and take a random (??) guy well into his 30s from the trail under the guise of car trouble, etc? Statistically speaking, this seems very unlikely?

I have reread the part of the AMA where he discusses the prints a few times, and I am completely confused by it. It reads as though he just happened to have photos of the prints, and then realized what he had? Have I understood him correctly? If so, were these by a drone or something? Trying to wrap my mind around why he had photos of the ground? Was he just walking and snapping pics of everything hoping to find something?

And while the prints seem to be saucony, I can’t even tell my own prints when doubling back because of 1. How many ppl wear my shoe style (there’s a top ten) 2. The bell curve of common foot sizes 3. Partial prints they are, and unless I specifically stepped somewhere odd to avoid something… it’s truly difficult to tell.

And while the prints seem to be saucony, I can’t even tell my own prints when doubling back because of 1. How many ppl wear my shoe style (there’s a top ten) 2. The bell curve of common foot sizes 3. Partial prints they are, and unless I specifically stepped somewhere odd to avoid something… it’s truly difficult to tell.

Right? I believe I read in the AMA or elsewhere PK wears a size 11.....

I know I am slow, so can someone tell me what an AMA is?
Please and thank you!
It’s a format on Reddit where you make yourself available to answer questions, while you are live on the keyboard generally. Reddit’s tips aren’t the greatest on this at the moment, ppl making snide remarks abt “wannabe detectives” and “smug runners”. It’s under the server for the Bay Area. For even my best runner bro, I’d never posture as the know-all with my personal e-mail; I’d refer to PD. AMA means Ask Me Anything. Kind of a celebrity feel to it.

Regarding the texting between PK and his wife, where she asked his ETA and he replied "12:35" -- someone said there was a phone call following that text? Between him and wife? Do we know that for sure?

I'm just thinking about how texts are not proof of who is sending the text, only proof his phone was used, and wondering when is the last time PK's wife physically saw him (when did she leave for Stockton?) or spoke to him on the phone?

My telling my spouse I’d finish at “12:35” from running a trail I’ve never ran, would be beyond extraordinary. I’d say between 12:15-12:45 ish.
He wouldn’t even ask me, because trail runs are notoriously as unprecise vis a vis the certainty of pavement or a track run.

My telling my spouse I’d finish at “12:35” from running a trail I’ve never ran, would be beyond extraordinary. I’d say between 12:15-12:45 ish.
He wouldn’t even ask me, because trail runs are notoriously as unprecise vis a vis the certainty of pavement or a track run.
I'd agree that would be extraordinary, but the text message actually said "1235-ish" Source:AMA

I don't personally find it odd his wife reported him missing at 2. I don't run but I hike regularly and do it solo often. I tell my husband where I'm hiking and often what specific trail. He also hikes so knows how long my hike should take or I just tell him that info. If I was doing a one hour hike and three hours later he couldn't get a hold of me/I didn't show up, he would for sure be worried something happened and either come out to the trail to look for me himself and/or call the police for assistance. MOO

I was the one who asked about helping a stranded motorist. I don't really have a motive, although we have seen people get randomly targeted for violent crimes on here time and time again. So anything is possible really. I'm not saying this is what happened but just running through some scenarios of what else might possibly have happened. Right now, I am leaning towards misfortune/accident on his run and he just hasn't been found yet.

My telling my spouse I’d finish at “12:35” from running a trail I’ve never ran, would be beyond extraordinary.

Yes, it's way too precise. I couldn't even give someone that precise a time jogging around the block for a few minutes, let alone on a new trail going several miles!
Not forgetting that phone reception may be patchy up there on the trails too. (And he didn't even take it with him.)

And then she reported him missing to the police just 1.5 hours later. It's not very long to wait, is it...?

He had an executive job and could've been called to a meeting or anything....

It sounds like a very constrained life run by the clock to the nearest minute. That in itself is stressful.

I don't find it suspiciously odd, just another thing worth thinking about. My thought really was she must have been worried about him in the heat to formally report him missing at 2 pm.

As a wife, I would have been a bit worried, and more leaning towards annoyed/wondering where he was. My husband was the type who tended to lose track of time a bit, and would have done something like looked at his watch and thought "Cool. I'm running a bit ahead of schedule. I have time to check out this funky record store/grab a coffee/see if the new iPhone is in yet..." and end up taking 45 minutes to do whatever instead of 5 or 10. PK probably isn't like this.

I'm thinking someone must have gone to the park and found his car sitting there? So perhaps she did check in with CT or one of the running buddies first, and then make the call.

Edited: or were authorities the ones to discover his car? I'm all turned around now. Sorry!

I'd agree that would be extraordinary, but the text message actually said "1235-ish" Source:AMA

the :35 is still quite unusual.
I thought he called his wife and spoke with her when he got to the trail

I understand she (?) texted him just as he was about to run, to double check the time he’d finish. I’d of killed (JK) my spouse for tracking me down so much during my solitary passion, asking again where I was and how long I’d be. We’d of both made other arrangements for transport instead of all the over-bearing communication. Same with his running bud the day before. Too much. It’s a solitary sport at its best. And being reigned in is a HUGE downer, especially with us. Family or not. Just asking for some time shouldn’t be that hard! (Again, Anecdotal, just general behavior as I’ve known over decades and knowing hundreds of people in the sport).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces