Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A t-shirt found in the car does not mean he was running shirtless -- he could quite reasonably have expected to be sweaty after the run and brought a fresh shirt for afterwards, for his Stockton plans.

I can certainly agree that a sleeveless Tshirt may be best for the run, perhaps, or w a fresh short sleeves when he intended to meet family in Stockton. No one has seen him tho. Not one witness do they have. Yet.

The K9s didn't track Philip Kreycik all that far before losing PKs scent to the environment. Therefore, we know PK arrived at the car park and his car is parked sorta nearby yet not most conveniently parked for his alleged entry point. Beautiful scenery all around. Fresh air.

Perhaps he ran along the trail, with little shade from there's no trees. It was a hot yet gorgeous day with the bluest skies. He runs. PK ran. Easy and Fast and repetitive strokes of the legs. 22 minutes and turn back around heading toward the staging area. No reason to think Philip did not run. It's in the original plan. Dogs follow his initial journey then, zilch. There's a breakdown in communication.

Something significant interferes with Philip's progress along his intended route. He is impeded by something. And, needs to be found. What were or where were those plans of PKs in Stockton pertaining to and with whom, other than to join his beloved bride. That is, if you know, Auntie Cipation?

I agree, he was just fitting in a run because that’s what he does most days. I know a ton of people like Philip and I am very familiar with this park. I used to live in Berkeley and Pleasanton. He would likely have run on-trail, very fast, and been on his way to Stockton, no getting lost or falling in a ravine. I don’t know where or how he could hide this long. I believe there would be signs of an attack by human or animal. Maybe he wanted to disappear? This is a really strange case because there aren’t many places he could be. Moo

I agree, and the choice of trails makes complete sense to me considering likely route to Stockton - I've driven a similar trip to Stockton hundreds of times, and considering the location right off the freeway, this trailhead makes sense.

Although it has been questioned as to why he would plan a run of so many miles apparently starting just a few hours before he was scheduled to pick up his family, I do understand that the distance Philip can run may equate to a short run for him (vastly different to what I could do) - for him several miles could take very little time whereas it would take me hours.

I do wonder about the scheduled work meeting information, but if accurate, perhaps it was something he planned on phoning in while on the road. The other thing that stands out to me is his wife reporting him missing when she did (seemingly fairly quickly if true). There may have been a time when he was supposed to pick her up, but if it were me, the key factors would be not the exact time he was supposed to do so (as that could have be flexible depending on traffic, errands, etc), but that I couldn't get a hold of him on a very hot day when he was supposed to take a run. So I can see her not being able to get a hold of him, knowing that he was out in over 100 degree weather, and worrying about his safety right away, especially if lack of phone contact was not common (it is not common in my household, and yes, I would worry early on).

I can certainly agree that a sleeveless Tshirt may be best for the run, perhaps, or w a fresh short sleeves when he intended to meet family in Stockton. No one has seen him tho. Not one witness do they have. Yet.

The K9s didn't track Philip Kreycik all that far before losing PKs scent to the environment. Therefore, we know PK arrived at the car park and his car is parked sorta nearby yet not most conveniently parked for his alleged entry point. Beautiful scenery all around. Fresh air.

Perhaps he ran along the trail, with little shade from there's no trees. It was a hot yet gorgeous day with the bluest skies. He runs. PK ran. Easy and Fast and repetitive strokes of the legs. 22 minutes and turn back around heading toward the staging area. No reason to think Philip did not run. It's in the original plan. Dogs follow his initial journey then, zilch. There's a breakdown in communication.

Something significant interferes with Philip's progress along his intended route. He is impeded by something. And, needs to be found. What were or where were those plans of PKs in Stockton pertaining to and with whom, other than to join his beloved bride. That is, if you know, Auntie Cipation?

I only know what I've read here. I think I saw it said that he was to "pick up family" in Stockton.

A reasonable likelihood is that he would be bringing family members back home to the East Bay. I don't think we know which family members or why they need a ride. I can think of several reasonable options but no need to diverge onto that.

I think it's possible he's up there and he did go for the run and something happened and he's just not found yet. I also think it's possible he parked there and then left with another person(s) and never made the run in the heat that day.

MOO

I agree, he was just fitting in a run because that’s what he does most days. I know a ton of people like Philip and I am very familiar with this park. I used to live in Berkeley and Pleasanton. He would likely have run on-trail, very fast, and been on his way to Stockton, no getting lost or falling in a ravine. I don’t know where or how he could hide this long. I believe there would be signs of an attack by human or animal. Maybe he wanted to disappear? This is a really strange case because there aren’t many places he could be. Moo
There was a 28 to 32 degree difference between the temperature in Berkeley and Pleasanton that day. For those that looked on Strava (and I am not a member), they analyzed his runs and most were in Berkeley or Oakland and in the early morning hours. The cooler temperatures in that part of the Bay were his normal running environment. The one he did the night before was a long run. He usually had a 24 hour gap between runs on days when he ran consecutive days.

On July 10th, the temperature in Berkeley at 11:53 AM was 68 degrees with a high of 73 degrees that day with scatter clouds. Past Weather in Berkeley, California, USA — Yesterday or Further Back

On July 10th, the temperature in Pleasanton at 11:53 AM was sweltering heat --- 96 degrees with a high of 105 degrees that day with sunny weather (it was probably even hotter on Pleasanton Ridge). Past Weather in Pleasanton, California, USA — Yesterday or Further Back

It was well publicized that there was a heat wave that weekend and many cities were opening cooling centers for the public to come in if they had no AC. Also that weekend PG&E was warning of potential power outages.

He also parked in or near (the press has sometimes said 'in' but sometimes said 'near') a staging area with no direct access to Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park unless you trespass through private property and off-limits landbank areas.

So far as far as I can tell, there is no video evidence or confirmed eye witnesses that can place him jogging in either Pleasanton Ridge or Moller Ranch. I do wonder whether there was a single running route or whether there were multiple running routes on his cell phone and whether some were loaded on there that had running routes other than Pleasanton Ridge or Moller Ranch.

If he wanted to run Pleasanton Ridge, he was at the wrong trailhead. The correct trailhead was at Castleridge further south down on Foothill Road, a very popular staging area. That would involve no trespassing onto private property and has paths that directly access Pleasanton Ridge.

Maybe he was confused or lost. It is hard to tell. Or maybe he was there on purpose and decided to risk trespassing and cross his fingers, hoping for the best.

Last edited:
I only know what I've read here. I think I saw it said that he was to "pick up family" in Stockton.

A reasonable likelihood is that he would be bringing family members back home to the East Bay. I don't think we know which family members or why they need a ride. I can think of several reasonable options but no need to diverge onto that.

I think it's possible he's up there and he did go for the run and something happened and he's just not found yet. I also think it's possible he parked there and then left with another person(s) and never made the run in the heat that day.

MOO
I'm not sure whey he would need to provide transportation back and forth to Stockton. Even without a car, there is a way to get to and from the Bay Area.
The ACE Train (Altamont Corridor Express) that runs from Stockton to the Bay Area provides train access to the Tri-Valley and the South Bay, but the weekend schedule has been canceled for a while. Right now it is running only weekdays.

If he had wanted to 'disappear,' a BART station is within walking distance of where he parked, and the Livermore Airport is just down the road on I-580 or either east via Stoneridge Drive/Jack London. Also I think buses run there all the time. Private jets take off there and regular prop planes as well.

Usually on weekends. the flights are just to local nearby airports or practice flights in and out of Livermore. I did notice on Flightaware where you can see departures and arrivals there was a lot of activity that day in spite of the heat. I did notice one long flight though....a private jet flight took off from Livermore Airport to Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport a little before noon that day.

In one of the press conferences from the ACSO briefing/PPD press conference on search progress, one of the reporters asked if they had looked at video of nearby airports. I don't think the police responded, but perhaps they are looking into that possibility perhaps.

I can think of lots of reasons why people would opt for a family member picking them up rather than take public transit. And you just provided the best explanation: because the public bus didn't run that day.

Anyway that info about going to Stockton came from his wife I think? so we have no reason to doubt it.

I always think people who want to disappear wouldn't put their family nor LE through the anguish/effort/expense of a search, but obviously some people do because it does sometimes happen.

I wonder if that nearby BART station has cameras.

I can think of lots of reasons why people would opt for a family member picking them up rather than take public transit. And you just provided the best explanation: because the public bus didn't run that day.

Anyway that info about going to Stockton came from his wife I think? so we have no reason to doubt it.

I always think people who want to disappear wouldn't put their family nor LE through the anguish/effort/expense of a search, but obviously some people do because it does sometimes happen.

The buses run on weekends, but the ACE train from Stockton to the Bay Area is currently not running on weekends. Schedules - ACE Rail There may be other trains like Amtrak that do.

I do think that the BART stations have cameras, but I am not sure exactly where they are located within the stations.

Pleasanton also has automated license plate readers at many intersections throughout the city. The are usually placed high at the street light level on main roads.

As to the bolded above, it surprises me sometimes when I see rare cases where it does happen. I can't remember the coward's name, but there was one young husband with 2 kids, I believe.

And his wife called police to report him missing and she was so certain he wasn't voluntarily missing--because he was bringing home the decorations for making holiday cookies and his kids were sitting home excitedly awaiting his return that night so they could do that together...:rolleyes:

Which is why I knew he hadn't just run off--what Dad could do that---but he did--he had a new girlfriend and ran off to LA with her, until a PI finally found him...That one just blew my mind and reminds me that it is always a possibility

Philip Kreycik Search - VOLUNTEER NEEDS & FAQ

• everything in this photo except for the shirt. Note, he may or may not be wearing a shirt.
Ke4WfB5Lj4R4_UzpzERg2UdY88wdko4P8gWBMwNRiez01xlCGkQw8aZVY9OQNlXhP4KkJZpcM6nqxNKU0TMuRo2NY_c6UhKWIlbo29ACWrhkxQ0ZlgQc4waANZ3gA05DYQ=s320

Philip Kreycik Search - VOLUNTEER NEEDS & FAQ

To Note:
  • Please know that some of the areas on publicly available maps that appear not to have been searched actually have been. In particular, we want to discourage searches in the area from Sunol Ridge down to Palomares Road. We feel SAR covered it adequately. We also have fairly good indications that Philip did not make it over there. Exhausting options closer to his point of departure, if there are any perceived gaps, is better use of time.

I am starting to think there is more to this than meets the eye. How heartbreaking for his family in any case.

I have to admit I am pretty angry that someone would not take their phone "because speed is important to them". Imagine putting your family through this, causing all these costs and people searching when maybe, just maybe, a 911 call for help had solved everything within hours. Not saying this is the case now, but in general this makes me PISSED.
Not sure why this makes you mad. It's only been in the past 10 or 15 years that people have felt the need to be tethered to their phones. Many millennia of irresponsible untethered wandering preceded this era.

As well, in the Bay area this is probably different, but many wilderness and trail areas still have little to no cell coverage.

Not sure why this makes you mad. It's only been in the past 10 or 15 years that people have felt the need to be tethered to their phones. Many millennia of irresponsible untethered wandering preceded this era.

As well, in the Bay area this is probably different, but many wilderness and trail areas still have little to no cell coverage.
RBBM

Just because we've been doing it for millennia, doesn't mean we should continue. We've smoked while pregnant, used led for make up, taken cocaine against the common cold for centuries... Doesn't mean we still should.
On a hike I don't see a cell phone as an addictive apparatus but a potentially live-saving apparatus. It's not that much of an inconvenience to bring it along with you, and it could save your life and spare your loved ones a lot of uncertainty and sorrow.
Of course, if there is no reception for the whole trip that makes things a bit more difficult but your device might be pinged.

Maybe he was training for something, but maybe not. Sometimes trail running is its own reward. I kind of think he just enjoys running fast up and down hills (MOO), which might explain his attraction to the Pleasant Ridge Trails. It doesn't look like he had entered any running events since leaving the Mass area in 2017. Most marathon and trail race results are recorded at athlinks.com and ultrasignup.com, respectively. You can see his results there. I think with his speed he could have easily qualified for the Boston Marathon if he wanted to, but if he cared about that he would have done it when he lived there. Most of his prior events that I saw were trail runs and mountain run events.

Thank you for the eloquent response. PK seemed to have the need as well as a talent for speed. He can fly like the wind. A nice run at least once; maybe twice a day when in training, or not. Run. Just bc you and you love it. Right here. Right now.

125th Boston Marathon Monday, Oct. 11, 2021
This is an event my daughter yearned for and almost made it into the BM before having her first daughter. Accepting the Boston Marathon Invitational entries will be $370.00 USD this yr. Entering in Chicago Marathon is about as hefty. Both good size races.
2021 Updates | Boston Athletic Association

125th Boston Marathon Monday, October 11, 2021
Qualifiers who were 7 minutes, 47 seconds (7:47) or faster than the qualifying time for their age group were accepted into the 125th Boston Marathon. In total, 23,824 applications were received by the <> deadline.

I'm not sure whey he would need to provide transportation back and forth to Stockton. Even without a car, there is a way to get to and from the Bay Area.
The ACE Train (Altamont Corridor Express) that runs from Stockton to the Bay Area provides train access to the Tri-Valley and the South Bay, but the weekend schedule has been canceled for a while. Right now it is running only weekdays.

If he had wanted to 'disappear,' a BART station is within walking distance of where he parked, and the Livermore Airport is just down the road on I-580 or either east via Stoneridge Drive/Jack London. Also I think buses run there all the time. Private jets take off there and regular prop planes as well.

Usually on weekends. the flights are just to local nearby airports or practice flights in and out of Livermore. I did notice on Flightaware where you can see departures and arrivals there was a lot of activity that day in spite of the heat. I did notice one long flight though....a private jet flight took off from Livermore Airport to Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport a little before noon that day.

In one of the press conferences from the ACSO briefing/PPD press conference on search progress, one of the reporters asked if they had looked at video of nearby airports. I don't think the police responded, but perhaps they are looking into that possibility perhaps.

Atlanta has MARTA that rapidly moves people around the metropolitan. CCTV on the transits at BART?

<politely snipped & highlighted>
"If he had wanted to 'disappear,' a BART station is within walking distance of where he parked, and the Livermore Airport is just down the road on I-580 or either east via Stoneridge Drive/Jack London. Also I think buses run there all the time. Private jets take off there and regular prop planes as well.

Usually on weekends. the flights are just to local nearby airports or practice flights in and out of Livermore. I did notice on Flightaware where you can see departures and arrivals there was a lot of activity that day in spite of the heat. I did notice one long flight though....a private jet flight took off from Livermore Airport to Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport a little before noon that day."

Nice intel gathering. Hastily departing the city via Livermore Airport to populated Minneapolis/St Paul on a private flight arriving in Minnesota at exactly what time? Can you track the tail #? Who owns the jet? Kreycik could be anywhere if he wanted to be. Does he have ties to friends or family in the St Paul area? Would this be a final destination, if selecting this option?

Are there cameras on the street corners if walking from his parked car to a BART station? A lot of people vanish. I hope Philip Kreycik doesn't become a statistic.

Otherwise, officials feel they've more than adequately searched a sizable surrounding area of hopeful possibilities at the Ridge. But, his friends and other searchers will not stop until they find Mr Kreycik. I recall a co-worker of his that spoke to the press by saying he was her Manager.

Philip's an athletically fit genius who managed a very important division of PG&E. Prob pulled a fate six digit salary, maybe bonuses, vacay days, 401s. I suppose he stowed cash assets somewhere. That is, if walking away from Cali life was his chosen journey.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whey he would need to provide transportation back and forth to Stockton.

Maybe I'm being overly pedantic but I see no reason to think he was providing transportation back and forth on that day. I think he was expected to drive there, pick up whoever it was, and drive them back to Berkeley. Or something close to that.

Unless one is used to using public transit, I think people often default to personal vehicles, even in cases where the driver must go far out of their way or spend several hours in traffic. MOO

The buses run on weekends, but the ACE train from Stockton to the Bay Area is currently not running on weekends. Schedules - ACE Rail There may be other trains like Amtrak that do.

Thanks -- I meant to refer to the train, not the bus.

• everything in this photo except for the shirt. Note, he may or may not be wearing a shirt.
Ke4WfB5Lj4R4_UzpzERg2UdY88wdko4P8gWBMwNRiez01xlCGkQw8aZVY9OQNlXhP4KkJZpcM6nqxNKU0TMuRo2NY_c6UhKWIlbo29ACWrhkxQ0ZlgQc4waANZ3gA05DYQ=s320

This photo brings a question to mind. This shirt is clearly a running shirt (with reflective panels). I wonder whether the shirt left in his vehicle was a running shirt or a regular T shirt. Did he save his running shirts for running only, or did he wear them even on non-running days or during non-running activities? OK that was two questions. :)

The more I read about the deviation from his normal routine and habits, the more I lean toward a voluntary disappearance. The only thing I can't make fit is fact that he didn't have that much time before he was supposedly needed to pick up the family. Unless that plan was added last minute and he couldn't really argue about it, it wouldn't make sense not to give yourself more time.
As a runner, I have to say, it is important to pay attention to normal routines and habits. Also, I wouldn't run more than 5 miles in the summer heat without at least a small hand-held water bottle. When I was a novice and tried this it never turned out good and was a waste of a long run. Maybe some can pull it off but I don't see it being likely.
Also, there has to be someone on the trail that saw him. As a woman who mostly runs alone, I can say I notice everyone. On a weekend day there had to be many people out at the trail walking dogs or even some very dedicated individuals biking or running in the heat as well. Who has come forward to say they saw him that day?

The 7/10 private jet flight going to Minneapolis/St Paul KMSP from Livermore Municipal Airport KLVK took off at 11:54 AM PDT and landed at 5:05 CDT, was tail number N819AP and operated by AOSKY according to Flightaware.

The rest of the 80 flights that day in the mid-morning to mid-afternoon time frame were in and out of Livermore, to an airport in California, except the one above and one to New Bend, Oregon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member